Any Greek understand the Greek Koine.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jun 26, 2020
Steven Anderson documentary (the subject is not him, but the subject is the Koine Greek), where he goes out on the streets of Cyprus with a Bible in Koine Greek, and shows how anyone who has Greek as their mother tongue can understand Koine Greek (or the so called "Biblical Greek").
You don't need to watch the entire documentary if you don't want to, watch the first 13 minutes.
Also in the rest of the documentary, he talks about the Orthodox Church.
Here is the video :

Chester

May 23, 2016
I did watch the first 13 minutes of the video as you suggested - I did find it interesting and helpful

But I already knew that modern Greek speakers easily understand Biblical koine Greek.

What did you want us to learn from the video?

Chester

May 23, 2016
Uh, Oh, did a little more looking into this Steven Anderson guy - I am not too sure - He is new to me - but it seems he is a KJV only fanatic. I didn't catch that directly on the part of the video I watched, but I thought I smelled it . . .

but I am wondering what the OP is wanting to say here . . .

If it is KJV only - well then get on with it . . . while I sneak out the side door - LOL!

Jun 26, 2020
What did you want us to learn from the video?
Maybe there are people who don't know this ? Some people think that the Koine Greek is a different world from the Modern Greek, this is the subject here, and the subject is not KJV-Only or Steven Anderson.

Chester

May 23, 2016
JohnPost1,

Welcome to CC - I was looking a little at what you have been posting since you got here, and it is obvious you have a heart for God and His Word! Praise the Lord!

Do not let anyone or anything get in the way of you taking the message of Jesus Christ to a lost and dying world that need a Saviour!

It seems like you are stuck a bit on the Textus Receptus Greek text - and that is OK - much better than being stuck on the KJV and calling it "inspired" as some others around here do! :);)

I encourage you to be openminded in your journey to find truth - The Devil is out trying to alienate believers from one another in any way he can - and if he can do it by a fight over the Biblical text - he will use a fight over the biblical text!

Chester

May 23, 2016
Maybe there are people who don't know this ? Some people think that the Koine Greek is a different world from the Modern Greek, this is the subject here, and the subject is not KJV-Only or Steven Anderson.
In my circles here in the US, anyone who has studied Biblical Greek knows very well that a modern day speaker of Greek is very close to what is written in the koine Biblical Greek.

I have found it very helpful on a Biblical Greek forum to have native speakers of modern Greek give their insights on verses in the koine Greek.

E

EleventhHour

Steven Anderson documentary (the subject is not him, but the subject is the Koine Greek), where he goes out on the streets of Cyprus with a Bible in Koine Greek, and shows how anyone who has Greek as their mother tongue can understand Koine Greek (or the so called "Biblical Greek").
You don't need to watch the entire documentary if you don't want to, watch the first 13 minutes.
Also in the rest of the documentary, he talks about the Orthodox Church.
Here is the video :
While language does evolve ... from having Greek friends I would agree they seem to understand much of Koine Greek.

fredoheaven

Nov 17, 2015
So you mean that a modern greek speaker easily understand the koine? I havent watch the video yet but i know Stenveson. (heard and converse d with him but that was a long time ago. Thnks

Kavik

Mar 25, 2017
I was always curious about this and, many years ago, asked a friend of mine who was from Greece what the deal was (I kind of joked about her taking Ancient Greek as a subject in college - "nothing like an easy automatic "A"), but here's what she said:

Koine to a modern speaker of Greek would be like a speaker of English reading Shakespeare - you'd understand all of it, but the language and expressions would be archaic sounding. Bottom line, no issues understanding; it would just sound a little funny.

Ancient Greek to a modern speaker of Greek would be like a speaker of English reading Chaucer. There's a lot you'd understand, but a lot you'd need a dictionary for.

Obviously too with Ancient Greek, the pronunciation is very different and you have pitch accent rather than the modern stress accent. Speakers of Greek read it like modern Greek though.