Anyone here ever been to tent revivals?

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
I enjoy going to them in different cities.
I saw one once, but only as a nostalgia thing. The elders were reliving their youth. Nobody does brush arbors anymore either.

Mostly it's a matter of air conditioning. Tents and brush arbors don't have it. Also around here mosquitoes are a factor to consider. We'd all rather be inside a building.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ThereRoseaLamb
One, a long time ago when I was in my teens. I lived in the country and a Baptist church in the nearest small town, which was about 14 miles away, decided to hold one in the country. Our little community only had a bar and a rural firestation. My family owned the bar, my grandparents built it and ran it. That church thought we were a pack of heathens. Actually, the bar wasn't a rowdy bar. Just a place where country folks got a beer and burger after a day of work while they yakked with fellow country folks.
Anyway, I was already a Christian. My father who lived out of town visited me so that we could go together to the tent revival.
 
  • Heart
Reactions: seoulsearch
There used to be this Christian musical festival called Parachute in nz and everyone camped in tents. Sort of like Glastonbury.

I did go once, and didn't have a pleasant experience sad to say. I mean some of it was good, but some of the people there were kind of racist. But I was a teen then and they would have been ignorant country bumpkin types who'd probably never seen someone who looked Chinese in their entire life. Otherwise I can't explain why I overheard them say 'oh she's one of THOSE' and left of their efforts of trying to convert me (I was not a Christian then, or not their type of Christian)

Also, I was kind of weirded out or alienated I suppose the word is, by the whole CCM thing. I, in MY ignorance, thought Chrstian music would be more like gospel and hymns, rather than this kind of pseudo-rock. It was like Nirvana or Pearl Jam but instead of angst about themselves, it was angst about God.
 
  • Sad
Reactions: zeroturbulence
I saw one once, but only as a nostalgia thing. The elders were reliving their youth. Nobody does brush arbors anymore either.

Mostly it's a matter of air conditioning. Tents and brush arbors don't have it. Also around here mosquitoes are a factor to consider. We'd all rather be inside a building.
Where I am there are several tent revivals that go on. We also have the mosquitos to contend with.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ThereRoseaLamb
Sometimes it is code for "learning to let go of the only safety line I've ever known, and I'm not quite there yet."

All the more reason to stand on God's Word rather then our insecurities
God is upholding all things by the power of His Word - Hebrews 1:3

We should stand on His Word without fear knowing His world will be upheld and those standing in His Word will be upheld as well.
 
All the more reason to stand on God's Word rather then our insecurities
God is upholding all things by the power of His Word - Hebrews 1:3

We should stand on His Word without fear knowing His world will be upheld and those standing in His Word will be upheld as well.
For a troll you sure are naive. You speak as one who has never yet faced a serious trial.
 
Every once in a while, I have a nice cold beer. I'm not a drunk. I'm not walking around being all immoral. I'm not perfect either, but I hardly think having a beer once in a while or watching The Munsters or what-have-you actually makes me a heathen. My flaws are out in the open, many keep worse flaws hidden while pointing the finger at "heathens" like me.
 
  • Pray
Reactions: seoulsearch
So it's always better to be a sinner out in the open verses sinning behind closed doors?

I'm just saying that in my experience, people that often point their finger are usually found to have worse going on behind the scenes. I worked with someone who would come to work and tell us we were going to hell for all kinds of petty things that amounted to nothing, but to that person they were grounds for judgement. Later, it was revealed that this person was having intimacy outside the bounds of marriage which was a lot worse than the petty things that they were constantly judging us everyday for. And, that's just one example I've ran into of very judgy people. It's not a good look for Christians.
Thankfully, there are Christians here who display a much better attitude than this.
 
I enjoy going to them in different cities.

Hi Jewelz, welcome to the site!

My church set up a few tent revivals over the past few years. We had them in a public area and invited other local churches to participate, so it was interdenominational and the focus was Jesus rather than a specific group. We even had a program for the kids. Good times!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Jewelz