Anyone tried slow cooker cooking?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

Miri

I got a slow cooker last week, just trying it out today for the first time.
It will be quite a few hours before it’s done.

I’ve just put everything it in I could think of. (See picture) But I wondered if any of you
have got any favourite slow cooker receipes. Also what do you think of slow
cookers. 🥘

FBC92F21-342C-4B89-842D-CFF3007B4154.jpeg

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Slow cookers are great for cooking meat alone. If you cook meat and veggies together the veggies tend to turn to mush.

I made a mistake that turned out delicious. I put pieces of chicken meat in a slow cooker with milk, cream, basil, salt, flour to thicken it into a sauce, and left it cooking overnight. Next morning the chicken was tender... in fact it was so tender that I couldn't get a single whole piece out of the pot without it falling apart.

It was delicious though, so I called it cream of chicken soup and ate the whole thing over a couple or three days.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
We have used a slow cooker for years and enjoy it. Now what about a fast cooker, like an Insta-pot? I’ve heard good things about them and was thinking about buying one.

cinder

Mar 26, 2014
I think I use my slow cooker more than my stove in the winter months. Mostly it's big roast type chunks of meat and then the meat dripping plus some veggies for soup. It's nice because you can pretty much throw everything in in the morning before going to work, turn it on, and come home to a home cooked dinner. I think I did have some pasta dissolve in one years ago so I tend to stay away from pasta although other people have made it work. But yeah it is my go to appliance for soups, roasts, and some casseroley type things.

Tinkerbell725

Jul 19, 2014
Philippines Age 40
We have used a slow cooker for years and enjoy it. Now what about a fast cooker, like an Insta-pot? I’ve heard good things about them and was thinking about buying one.
Is that the same as the pressure cooker? Meat becomes less flavorful when you cook on a pressure cooker.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
Is that the same as the pressure cooker? Meat becomes less flavorful when you cook on a pressure cooker.
May be high pressure steam. I’ve heard good things about an Insta-pot, but you may have a point.

M

Miri

Oh the excitement of seeing how this turns out. I keep wanting to
lift the lid and give it a stir. But apparently if I do I takes an extra 15
mins each time!

The things that excite a 50 year old!

M

Miri

Slow cookers are great for cooking meat alone. If you cook meat and veggies together the veggies tend to turn to mush.

I made a mistake that turned out delicious. I put pieces of chicken meat in a slow cooker with milk, cream, basil, salt, flour to thicken it into a sauce, and left it cooking overnight. Next morning the chicken was tender... in fact it was so tender that I couldn't get a single whole piece out of the pot without it falling apart.

It was delicious though, so I called it cream of chicken soup and ate the whole thing over a couple or three days.
On the instructions on mine it says not to use cream or milk in it.? Something
to do with the heating point being higher than other liquids. I dunno.?

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
My wife enjoys making chicken and dumplings, stew and soup in our slow cooker. I use it to make chili. :)

M

Miri

We got a half steam pressure cooker years ago from QVC shopping channel.
It doesn’t steam and hiss like other pressure cookers and cooks in half the
time of standard cooking time.

Only thing is, it’s massive and heavy so I haven’t used it for years. Food does come
out good though with lots of taste.

M

Miri

Not heard of those, what do they do?

Tinkerbell725

Jul 19, 2014
Philippines Age 40
We got a half steam pressure cooker years ago from QVC shopping channel.
It doesn’t steam and hiss like other pressure cookers and cooks in half the
time of standard cooking time.

Only thing is, it’s massive and heavy so I haven’t used it for years. Food does come
out good though with lots of taste.

But maybe not really as good if cooked slowly.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
This is better suited for the Recipes/Cooking forum. :)

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018
I got a slow cooker last week, just trying it out today for the first time.
It will be quite a few hours before it’s done.

I’ve just put everything it in I could think of. (See picture) But I wondered if any of you
have got any favourite slow cooker receipes. Also what do you think of slow
cookers. 🥘

View attachment 197481
I've been using them for years. That looks like what I cook in one. Someone might've already mentioned it, but you should add the vegetables at a later time-unless you like them mushy.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
I love my pressure cooker and crock pot, they R such amazing blessings. I cook cooked skinless chicken, veggies and quinoa, all the time.

Ellorah

Jan 28, 2019
South Carolina
Slow cookers are fabulous !! You can do everything from meat dishes to desserts in them. When cooking meat and veggies add the meat first. Add the veggies during the final 2 hours of cooking. This way you have firm potatoes and not mush. I also have an 8 quart instant pot that I'm so crazy over. I can make BBQ ribs in 28 minutes !

Slow cooker for 2 hours on medium setting.
2 cans pie filling or 2 cans peaches.
One boxed yellow or spice cake mix. I prefer spice
1 stick butter.

Butter, fruit then cake mix on top for two hours for easy peasy peach or apple cobbler.

Sausage dip

One pound sausage browned
2 packages cream cheese
1 can rotel, mild or spicy
Chips or dipping I use fritoes scoops

In the slow cooker add everything but the chips. Cook on high for 2 hours. Stir about every 20 minutes. Serve with the chips for dipping. I often make this for dinner as its that hearty.

Enjoy !

M

Miri

I've been using them for years. That looks like what I cook in one. Someone might've already mentioned it, but you should add the vegetables at a later time-unless you like them mushy.

I added all my stuff together and it all came out fine. Maybe it depends what
setting it’s on and how chunky the veg is?

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
On the instructions on mine it says not to use cream or milk in it.? Something
to do with the heating point being higher than other liquids. I dunno.?
I have never heard of such. The only thing I can think of is, maybe that particular brand of crock pot doesn't get hot enough to boil milk? Milk boils in mine just fine.