Apologetic Journey Pt. I: An Introduction

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
Some weeks ago, a person very dear to me took the leap from Christianity to Atheism. Suffice to say, I love them, they're smart, and the issues and questions they've brought forth have triggered a minor existential crisis on my part.

When I was a kid, I was very much into apologetics. Having at least some reason to believe was important to me. But when I grew older, I chose a profession which requires a lot of continuing education. I stagnated in a state of unquestioning acceptance of mmmany Christian axioms while reading about other things.

Now I feel as though I've been violently awakened. Like somebody walked into my camp, kicked me in the solar plexus, and shook me by the lapels. The things I didn't think necessary to confront have confronted me on a personal level.

I've been reading widely and deeply in response. The best atheist and agnostic arguments against the best Christian ones. I'm going to keep reading. Here, I'll record my notes toward a better understanding of all sorts of concepts. They'll take the form of brief historical sketches, book reviews, poems, questions, etc.

In the first few posts, I'll try and summarize the aforementioned person's questions, my questions, and notes toward what I've discovered so far. After that, I'll write with the purpose of unifying and collating all I've read and deriving certain conclusions worth falling back on.

I encourage participation! If you read me and have something- a book, article, or even kind word which would bolster my faith, let me know!

In the end, I hope my writing will help others in similar circumstances and enable them to assert the truth on a cosmic scale.

mcubed

Dec 20, 2013
1 Corinthians 15:14 New International Version (NIV)

14 And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith.

If it is true your friends are to be most pitied.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
They actually cite that verse and say we are to be pitied for our wasted lives. That rationale can swing both ways.

J

Jennie-Mae

I’m not sure whether this is of any help or not, but a lot of people are making the faith a question of intellectualism.

Personally, I don’t spend time on the details in the Holy Bible, or on people screaming “Jesus Jesus” outside the malls, or on atheists that are insisting on logical fallacies in the faith, but I have faith in the good Lord and some might call me lukewarm, but I don’t care.

I will I’ll be praying for you.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
I appreciate any and all prayer a great deal.

I also urge anybody praying for me to also pray for my loved one. They are in a sorrier state than I am.

But I hear you. I think folks will call me lukewarm in this process because I do see great arguments on the other side.

T

Tinuviel

Several years ago I remember liking Who Moved the Stone? by Frank Morison. A Lee Strobel situation of a guy who set out to prove the resurrection didn't happen. I've never read The Case for Christ, the books might repeat a lot of stuff.

I'll keep ya'all in my prayers.

Deror

Mar 30, 2018
I believe you'll grow through this season. That's what impressed upon me after reading your post. Also, studying both sides may be ordaining you to become an apologist in the future.

Sometimes when it seems the demolition man has come in, God might be breaking down some walls that need breaking down, or a bit of restructuring here and there..

When i I went through a kind of shakening (sorry if that's not a word!) I wrote things down, and now it's such a blessing, a foundational for so many pillars.
i also learned that God Most High has great depth.. So I truly believe God will understand where you're at right now, and won't mind you exploring. Maybe keep open to Him, and don't shut Him out as you study all cases and arguments.

It'd be an honour to pray for you, and your loved one. We're under Grace until the time, so your loved one may return to Faith. We can't say until the final day.

Its great you're documenting your journey. Good idea!! Again, I truly believe this will turn out to be a huge blessing. Take good care. All the best to you and your loved one.

mcubed

Dec 20, 2013
Desdichado;bt24203 said:
They actually cite that verse and say we are to be pitied for our wasted lives. That rationale can swing both ways.

No. What you do not understand is G-d defends His Word.... It is alive and sharper than a two-edge sward. I do not defend His Word. It cuts threw the bone and marrow...

mcubed

Dec 20, 2013
Listen we have the Word and our testimony.... If you do not have that for yourself are you saved? You said you waver... Are you saved?

mcubed

Dec 20, 2013
Listen we have the Word and our testimony.... If you do not have that for yourself are you saved? You said you waver... Are you saved? Maybe not at all if you waver about G-d!?!

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
Thank you, Tinuviel. This means a great deal.

I'm reading through The Case for Christ as we speak and find it to be a very decent book with good information. It just has two major shortcomings. I'll identify them in my forthcoming review in this blog series.

I'll add Morison's book to the list, too! If it's like TCFC but without the two BIG shortcomings, I suspect I'll find it immensely helpful.

Tinuviel;bt24208 said:
Several years ago I remember liking Who Moved the Stone? by Frank Morison. A Lee Strobel situation of a guy who set out to prove the resurrection didn't happen. I've never read The Case for Christ, the books might repeat a lot of stuff.

I'll keep ya'all in my prayers.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
This post means so much. I hope and, indeed, pray it turns out exactly as you say.

Thank you, sister. Thank you.

Deror;bt24209 said:
I believe you'll grow through this season. That's what impressed upon me after reading your post. Also, studying both sides may be ordaining you to become an apologist in the future.

Sometimes when it seems the demolition man has come in, God might be breaking down some walls that need breaking down, or a bit of restructuring here and there..

When i I went through a kind of shakening (sorry if that's not a word!) I wrote things down, and now it's such a blessing, a foundational for so many pillars.
i also learned that God Most High has great depth.. So I truly believe God will understand where you're at right now, and won't mind you exploring. Maybe keep open to Him, and don't shut Him out as you study all cases and arguments.

It'd be an honour to pray for you, and your loved one. We're under Grace until the time, so your loved one may return to Faith. We can't say until the final day.

Its great you're documenting your journey. Good idea!! Again, I truly believe this will turn out to be a huge blessing. Take good care. All the best to you and your loved one.

Last edited:

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
I find myself being shoved into a furnace of doubt but perhaps still touched by the Son of Man.

What's your theological background? If I may be so bold.

mcubed;bt24215 said:
Listen we have the Word and our testimony.... If you do not have that for yourself are you saved? You said you waver... Are you saved?

Deror

Mar 30, 2018
Desdichado;bt24229 said:
This post means so much. I hope and, indeed, pray it turns out exactly as you say.

Thank you, sister. Thank you.
Your so welcome bro!

My thoughts are with you and your loved one.
Hang in there, maybe avoiding rushing into decisions either way might help. Keeping an open mind and heart.

In the meantime: I'll try to stay up to date with your blogs, got a lot going on personally, however, I can relate to the points raised in section 1 of blog 2 (been reading offline)
I've personally been wondering about Christianity and am at a bit of a loss about a lot of points raised in section 1.
I may have something to share that I hope will help. I'll try to check through my own resources to see if anything I can find might help in all areas raised as I've been on a bit of a Creation journey too in the last few years.

Sorry if I sound a bit waffly, a bit tired tonight,
Take good care bro