Appointing elders/pastors from within the congregation

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
P

Polar

And then there's the "armor bearer"which is a completely made up position.
Really it's just someone who will do something like carry the pastor's whole, bring him water etc... So it's really just an egotistical pastor wanting an Entourage... Also it's always a woman for some reason

One of the most outrageous things I ever saw was in the same non non-denominational church I used to attend and we had a guest Church
So while our pastor was speaking, their pastor was sitting in the front row and he had his "armor bearer' almost in his lap fanningham was one of those little church bands while his wife set three rows back.
I'm sitting in my city thinking am I the only person who thinks this is outrageously inappropriate?
Why our pastor didn't say anything because I would have called that out immediately and said excuse me, what the bleep are you doing.
But that also might be why our pastor never invited them back

that's a new one for me

personal armor bearer? whacko

markss

Feb 10, 2020
Most of those Greek "scholars" who teach in seminaries couldn't order a glass of water in a restaurant in Greece. They'll impress an American congregation though.
The Holy Spirit is perfectly adequate to teach with or without the knowledge of Greek or Hebrew.

Paul taugh how to select elders, but God Who knows men's hearts doesn't need that selection process. Paul himself wouldn't have been chosen as an elder by his own criteria, not being married.

But God can raise up whomever He pleases.

Much love!

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
The Holy Spirit is perfectly adequate to teach with or without the knowledge of Greek or Hebrew.

Paul taugh how to select elders, but God Who knows men's hearts doesn't need that selection process. Paul himself wouldn't have been chosen as an elder by his own criteria, not being married.

But God can raise up whomever He pleases.

Much love!
When I awake each morning and open my Bible, I understand and am blessed by God's Word just as you and other believers are. I've never found myself wishing I had a James White or other Greek teacher's commentary to rely upon. I used to attend a church whose Pastor followed a military colonel who often criticized my English translation and exalted his "superior Greek knowledge". I also noted that he changed his mind totally from one Bible conference to the next on his Uber nonnegotiable dogmas, depending upon his new revelations.

The years that I knew my ex girlfriend, she never read the Bible for herself. She idolized our pastor and was convinced that he was the only way to understand what it REALLY means.
It was a non-denominational church.

You might enjoy this testimony (linked below) of a pastor who taught other pastors the Greek TR. He established a handful of churches by training those who were interested. The churches are thriving and leading thousands of people to Christ each year. When they met the qualifications, they were ordained to pastor. There was never a requirement to learn the original languages.
He has actually put modern Greek to use by leading folks to Christ, one on one, on the Greek speaking island of Cypress, with their own Bible. I'm of the opinion that the Lord blessed our world with a Holy Bible in all of the major languages. I use one that has never disappointed me.

Learning and applying Greek AND English

Blessings in Christ☕🙂👍

markss

Feb 10, 2020
When I awake each morning and open my Bible, I understand and am blessed by God's Word just as you and other believers are. I've never found myself wishing I had a James White or other Greek teacher's commentary to rely upon. I used to attend a church whose Pastor followed a military colonel who often criticized my English translation and exalted his "superior Greek knowledge". I also noted that he changed his mind totally from one Bible conference to the next on his Uber nonnegotiable dogmas, depending upon his new revelations.

The years that I knew my ex girlfriend, she never read the Bible for herself. She idolized our pastor and was convinced that he was the only way to understand what it REALLY means.
It was a non-denominational church.

You might enjoy this testimony (linked below) of a pastor who taught other pastors the Greek TR. He established a handful of churches by training those who were interested. The churches are thriving and leading thousands of people to Christ each year. When they met the qualifications, they were ordained to pastor. There was never a requirement to learn the original languages.
He has actually put modern Greek to use by leading folks to Christ, one on one, on the Greek speaking island of Cypress, with their own Bible. I'm of the opinion that the Lord blessed our world with a Holy Bible in all of the major languages. I use one that has never disappointed me.

Learning and applying Greek AND English

Blessings in Christ☕🙂👍
I don't know why, you're link is just endlessly buffering . . .

One of my favorite testimonies about this very thing, Pastor Chuck told the story how one day this particular verse in Ephesians, caught his interest, so he began to study it, using his commentaries, his Greek textbooks, and after an 8 hour session, came to see something remarkable he had never seen before. He described how happy he was to be able to dig out these nuggets!

That Sunday, after his sermon, one of the widows in the church was greeting him, and wanted to share with him, Pastor Chuck, I just wanted to share with you what the Holy Spirit showed me in my morning reading, and you know it, she took him right to that very verse, to share with him that very same thing.

Much love!

Billyd

May 8, 2014
We are blessed with a pastor who has a PhD in theology. He preaches life application messages directly from the Bible. He has a working knowledge of Greek and Hebrew, but more important, he has an excellent knowledge of the Bible. Most importantly, he teaches on a level that the highly educated members and the uneducated members understand.

He says, "I preach and teach God's word, not mine."

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
In small rural communities this sort of thing actually is rather common in a variety of churches and not just Charismatic churches.

Usually there is one person that has at least attempted to attend seminary. Then there's Usually a couple of eggheads that have studied the Bible too much....(I'm guilty) and where they aren't exactly fit to be a pastor they are capable of being an elder/advisor to keep things on the straight and narrow.

There isn't a lot of choices in rural communities...you might get a methodist preacher once a month or once every two....(some more frequently)

It's not uncommon or unusual. In the big cities it's easy to go "church shopping " for one that you like...in rural places you either travel for an hour or have a small local congregation. However, rural communities being what they are....there's Usually a couple very small churches in them as well as a couple tiny abandoned churches.

markss

Feb 10, 2020
We are blessed with a pastor who has a PhD in theology. He preaches life application messages directly from the Bible. He has a working knowledge of Greek and Hebrew, but more important, he has an excellent knowledge of the Bible. Most importantly, he teaches on a level that the highly educated members and the uneducated members understand.

He says, "I preach and teach God's word, not mine."
This sounds like my pastor. I'm continually fed from his ability to take the Bible's teachings and give very personal and relevant application.

Much love!

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
I don't know why, you're link is just endlessly buffering . . .

One of my favorite testimonies about this very thing, Pastor Chuck told the story how one day this particular verse in Ephesians, caught his interest, so he began to study it, using his commentaries, his Greek textbooks, and after an 8 hour session, came to see something remarkable he had never seen before. He described how happy he was to be able to dig out these nuggets!

That Sunday, after his sermon, one of the widows in the church was greeting him, and wanted to share with him, Pastor Chuck, I just wanted to share with you what the Holy Spirit showed me in my morning reading, and you know it, she took him right to that very verse, to share with him that very same thing.

Much love!
That's a great story!
The Holy Spirit teaches the most profound truths to the humble.
I'm sorry about the link. It worked earlier when I listened to half of it again. Then I tried yours and it did what you said.
I will try again later this evening when I get a chance. It should be a good link. MP4 file I think.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
This sounds like my pastor. I'm continually fed from his ability to take the Bible's teachings and give very personal and relevant application.

Much love!
Use of Greek in Cypress, English in America

Markss,

Try it now and see if it works.

Let me know if there are any further problems or if you have any questions.
Have a good evening.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Is knowledge of Greek necessary to oversee the flock of God?
Strictly, no. However, it is useful to do some of the deeper research in Scripture to address the issues the flock may face.