Are All Angels the Same?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Scripture doesn’t give us much information about angels, but books written in ancient time that has once been considered scripture but is now not included tell a lot about them.

It is necessary to search for when and why these books were discarded to decide if we can even consider them history. Some very learned men have done this and have decided they can be read as history, at least. Many consider it an error to discard Enoch, especially, after reading the minutes of the council that decided it wasn’t scripture.

These books tell us there are three classes of angels, each quite different from the others. What they say is not repeated in our scriptures.

Here is how they tell of angels.

The highest order of angels is the cherubim or archangel. One third of the multitude of angels rebelled against the Lord, so two of the cherubim became Satan and Lucifer, and we have Michael, Gabriel, Raphael, and Uriel. The rest of the fallen angels became devils.

The middle order of angels is the Teraphim known as the burning ones. They race back and forth between heaven and earth doing God’s will, they are known as God’s messengers. Revelation speaks of them as fire. In Genesis 28 we are told of them as in Jacob’s ladder as Jacob saw them ascending and descending. Teraphim are also called idols as Rachel took teraphim with her when they left her Father, Laban as told in Genesis 31:34.

The last order of angels is the teraphim or watchers. They are spoken of in Daniel 4:10, 17, and 18. They serve as our protectors and custodians. They are the only angels who can take on human form, as we are told in Hebrews 14:2; Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by this some have entertained angels without knowing it.

Do you find any scripture that backs up the claim that we cannot believe what these books claim about angels?

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com
Scripture doesn’t give us much information about angels, but books written in ancient time that has once been considered scripture but is now not included tell a lot about them.

It is necessary to search for when and why these books were discarded to decide if we can even consider them history. Some very learned men have done this and have decided they can be read as history, at least. Many consider it an error to discard Enoch, especially, after reading the minutes of the council that decided it wasn’t scripture.

These books tell us there are three classes of angels, each quite different from the others. What they say is not repeated in our scriptures.

The highest order of angels is the cherubim or archangel. One third of the multitude of angels rebelled against the Lord, so two of the cherubim became Satan and Lucifer, and we have Michael, Gabriel, Raphael, and Uriel. The rest of the fallen angels became devils.

The middle order of angels is the Teraphim known as the burning ones. They race back and forth between heaven and earth doing God’s will, they are known as God’s messengers. Revelation speaks of them as fire. In Genesis 28 we are told of them as in Jacob’s ladder as Jacob saw them ascending and descending. Teraphim are also called idols as Rachel took teraphim with her when they left her Father, Laban as told in Genesis 31:34.

The last order of angels is the teraphim or watchers. They are spoken of in Daniel 4:10, 17, and 18. They serve as our protectors and custodians. They are the only angels who can take on human form, as we are told in Hebrews 14:2; Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by this some have entertained angels without knowing it.

Do you find any scripture that backs up the claim that we cannot believe what these books claim about angels?
My sister would say, we are also angels! Ministering to this world as we carry the Holy Spirit of God within us, we are all, Christian and non-alike, angels. We are here to serve one another in the love and peace of God. And those who are the bad angels, serve their purpose too. Which is to lead us to realize what a bountiful grace filled gift we have received in Christ Jesus. And those dark ones, those "bad angels", minister too. They show us what we could have become had we not found the Light.

I think her philosophy in that regard reiterates Hebrews 14 perfectly. Her car even had a vanity plate that supported her philosophy. To this day I have a tee shirt I had made for us both. It reads simply, "We are the angels" She was dressed with that on and beneath the dress mom picked out for her funeral.
Now though my sister knows what it really means to be one of God's angels. :) ^j^ And she did it beautifully while she was here.

Aerials1978

Dec 10, 2019
Scripture does indicate there is a hierarchy of Angels and Celestial beings.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016

So here's the thing about these books we call apocrypha the works are usually written of unknown authorship or of a doubtful origin.

You would have to doubt that God through the Spirit gave us a infallible accurate source over the centuries all put together in the Bible.

If God wanted the book of Enoch, He would of inspired it. If you go down that road then that can lead to other sources that sound interesting and you possibly add it to your theology and murking up what God wanted you to know.

If it ain't in the Bible then it is false. God's Word is 100% infallible and we have all we need for soul salvation. We have God created, God created mankind, Mankind sinned, Mankind fell, God provides a Savior, Mankind can be restored, and we will live happily ever after in eternity.

Aerials1978

Dec 10, 2019
So here's the thing about these books we call apocrypha the works are usually written of unknown authorship or of a doubtful origin.

You would have to doubt that God through the Spirit gave us a infallible accurate source over the centuries all put together in the Bible.

If God wanted the book of Enoch, He would of inspired it. If you go down that road then that can lead to other sources that sound interesting and you possibly add it to your theology and murking up what God wanted you to know.

If it ain't in the Bible then it is false. God's Word is 100% infallible and we have all we need for soul salvation. We have God created, God created mankind, Mankind sinned, Mankind fell, God provides a Savior, Mankind can be restored, and we will live happily ever after in eternity.
I was going to say Enoch has a bunch to say about Angels. As you stated the reliability of Enoch is highly questionable. Still interesting.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
I was going to say Enoch has a bunch to say about Angels. As you stated the reliability of Enoch is highly questionable. Still interesting.
Yes it is interesting just a similar as reading Dante's Inferno because of my 100% infallible belief I do have a bias against anything else.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Have you read the minutes of the council that decided to take Enoch out of scripture, and gone over their reasons for their doing so? I have, and it is my opinion that the council was wrong. I am NO authority, that is for sure it is only the opinion of an ordinary human.

If you believe that we must not listen to any book, history or scripture, that a council has declared not scripture for any reason, then what do you believe about angels and why?

Aerials1978

Dec 10, 2019
Yes it is interesting just a similar as reading Dante's Inferno because of my 100% infallible belief I do have a bias against anything else.
The Divine Comedy. I wonder how many were terrified of it’s reading and literally thought that’s what Hell is really like.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
The Divine Comedy. I wonder how many were terrified of it’s reading and literally thought that’s what Hell is really like.
Yah I seem to remember reading that book actually brought a lot of people to faith lol. Nowadays we dont hardly mention Hell at all. I understand the fear but the concept of Hell shouldn't be comfortable.

Aerials1978

Dec 10, 2019
Have you read the minutes of the council that decided to take Enoch out of scripture, and gone over their reasons for their doing so? I have, and it is my opinion that the council was wrong. I am NO authority, that is for sure it is only the opinion of an ordinary human.

If you believe that we must not listen to any book, history or scripture, that a council has declared not scripture for any reason, then what do you believe about angels and why?
I know the Jews rejected this book for varies reasons. I think it’s good to read from a literature stand point.

To be honest, I really haven’t studied Angels much. What I believe is what I have read from scripture.

Aerials1978

Dec 10, 2019
Yah I seem to remember reading that book actually brought a lot of people to faith lol. Nowadays we dont hardly mention Hell at all. I understand the fear but the concept of Hell shouldn't be comfortable.
That’s why a lot of churches seem reluctant to preach on it. Can’t make the people uneasy.

Going_Nowhere

Nov 10, 2019
Michael, Gabriel, Raphael, and Uriel.
I think some Christians would only count Michael and Gabriel. Since the other two are mentioned in books that are considered apocryphal by many Christians.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I think some Christians would only count Michael and Gabriel. Since the other two are mentioned in books that are considered apocryphal by many Christians.
Don't forget Appolyon and Abaddon :)

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
I know the Jews rejected this book for varies reasons. I think it’s good to read from a literature stand point.

To be honest, I really haven’t studied Angels much. What I believe is what I have read from scripture.
I haven't read a word about Jews rejecting this book, new information to me. I did read the minutes of the council of the church the Catholics claim as theirs who today's scholars follow when they repeat the rejection.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Since Christians are to rely on the Bible as the final authority in all such matters, we should simply focus on what is revealed there. The book of Enoch does give a lot of detail, but it is not included in the canonical books. It may or may not be reliable. But according to Scripture

1. There are two broad groups of angels -- the holy angels and the evil angels.

2. Within the holy angels there are three sub-groups, and one archangel Michael -- (a) the cherubim, (b) the seraphim, and (3) the ministering spirits.

3. Within the ministering spirits, there are levels of authority or hierarchies -- thrones, dominions, principalities, and powers, etc.

4. Within the evil angels, there are three sub-groups and Satan as "the prince of the power of the air.

5. Among the evil angels there are (a) angels which are free, (b) demons, and (c) angels who are confined to Tartarus.

6. Among the free evil angels, there are also levels of authority or hierarchies.

two of the cherubim became Satan and Lucifer,

???

Aerials1978

Dec 10, 2019
I haven't read a word about Jews rejecting this book, new information to me. I did read the minutes of the council of the church the Catholics claim as theirs who today's scholars follow when they repeat the rejection.
Maybe rejection was too harsh of word. Most Jewish Scholars and Ancient Israelites don’t incorporate that book as the author(s) are unknown and historical fallacies. Either way it’s not part of the Tanakh