Are Christians Allowed to Be Sarcastic?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Hi Everybody,

Now I know what half of you out there are going to say: "If I can't be sarcastic, I'd pretty much drop dead on the spot."

Now let's be honest. I too can most certainly be the Queen of Sarcasm--my best example is when a woman was mad at me for apparently messing up her sure-fire lotto tickets at work, threatening me with, "If those numbers ain't right, I'm gonna have ta knock ya ta Europe!" I looked her straight in the eye and said, "Well, I've already been to Europe, so you're going to have to choose another place. "

She then proceeded with, "Well, then I'll just knock ya back ta China, where ya came from," to which I calmly replied, "I'm not from China."

This then led to her asking the infamous question: "Where are you from?" (THE question of all questions that will trigger a sarcastic response from me if asked sarcastically to begin with,) to which I gave my soon-to-be trademarked reply: "Where are YOU from?" (Funny thing... it took her ten minutes of rambling... she named every place she'd ever lived, then finally a continent, but never could tell me what country or ethnic background she originated from.)

Granted, if my boss had heard this... I'm sure I would have been in some trouble.

And therefore, we arrive to my question for this thread--does God give you little pokes and prods as to when you "go overboard"? What happens when you say some really sarcastic things and you KNOW you hurt someone's feelings--how do you deal with it? And what do you do when others make sarcastic remarks towards you that really hurt YOUR feelings?

The thing that made me think of this was a pastor who once told us that God was dealing with him over his use of sarcasm towards people, as well as the fact that my most sarcastic friends are the ones who seem to have the most guys after them. Sarcasm=total attraction??? (Unfortunately, it hasn't worked for me yet.)

I also find it interesting in the Bible that there are many incidences in which God asks a person, (Adam, for example) "Where are you?"; "Who are these men you're with?" (Balaam, the false prophet); or, in other cases, God asks the equivalent of, "What are you up to right now?" as if He didn't actually know.

Now, please don't misread this--I don't want anyone going around saying, "Seoulsearch is saying that God is sarcastic!!" But, what I find intriguing is that we are made in the image of God--so I am guessing that sarcasm is a characteristic based upon something in God's own personality, though as human beings, we certainly tend to get it messed up.

Some people seem to think that as Christians, we can only say loving things that are the equivalent of verbal roses, sunshine, and butterflies, no matter what happens. As much as I wish I could say I sound loving all the time, many times, I fall off the wagon.

What about you? Where do you think sarcasm fits in your role of being a Christian? Not that YOU would ever know anything about sarcasm... and not that I'M being sarcastic. :D

grace

Sep 8, 2006
The side of me that you all see of me on the forums does not show my sarcastic side...but in my daily life, I am sarcastic often.
I guess the biggest thing I try to keep in the for-front of my mind is to make sure that I am not making anyone stumble by the words I use.

I have always said that you cannot un-ring a bell, so once those words are spoken, they are rarely forgotten, even with an appology.

I know in my heart that I mean nothing malicious when I joke around in a sarcastic manner.....but that often does not cut it when what leaves your mouth with one intent, enters the ears of someone else meaning something completly different.

Liamson

Feb 3, 2010
I think God is sarcastic but in a very VERY serious way.

Take for instance God's Conversations with Job in Job 38-42 -ish.

I think we can use sarcasm for Good, much like God, to give people insight into how it is unbecoming of them to behave as they are behaving. Sarcasm is a way of easing the pain of an open rebuke.

However with any tool made with a purpose, it can be twisted and used for evil, which is usually the case.

A prime example that I have discovered recently is something called the "Jesus Juke." Google it, its very good but, it is a way of acknowledging when someone has crossed a line without being sinister.

S

Scottybrandon

No!..........

J

Jullianna

seoulsearch, this is one of the things I wrestle with, which is exactly why I said I would just stop talking if someone tried using those awful emotional blackmail lines on me in another thread. :) Seems like when I start down that road, it's tough to jump off, and at some point I wish I had.

To me, there's a fine line between wit and sarcasm. Wit is awesome. Sarcasm may be fun at the time, but I feel guilty about it later. :) So...I'm kinda thinking that's called sin. At least for me... :)

1still_waters

I always hear a quote that goes like..sarcasm is what a weak mind says.....

But maybe folks who quote that just can't find anything snappy to say?

zeroturbulence

Aug 2, 2009
Then the Lord said to Cain, “Where is Abel your brother?” He said, “I do not know; am I my brother's keeper?”
Genesis 4:9

zeroturbulence

Aug 2, 2009
"In everything, therefore, treat people the same way you want them to treat you, for this is the Law and the Prophets."
Matthew 7:12

L

Lalilo

I believe that what is in your heart will determine if something you say will be sarcasm or wit. I enjoy a good laugh and making people laugh. The difference is I can laugh at myself, but many people today are very thin skinned. I am positive God can see the funny side of life, because he made laughter such good medicine for us. I would try and bite my lip if I believed I was going to be sacastic. If I was a multi-millionare I would buy the world a new Funny bone, because I think we could all do with a good laugh about now. I saw a person crying and I asked "whats the matter". They looked at me and said "I heard a joke today and everyone laughed but me".

J

Jullianna

I've always kinda liked the scripture where Jesus called James and John the sons of thunder. THAT's wit. :)

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
I've always kinda liked the scripture where Jesus called James and John the sons of thunder. THAT's wit. :)
If I remember right, James and John were the sons of a man named Zebedee, and this name was literally translated as "thunder", hence Jesus' statement. At least, I think! But very cool, indeed. :D

G

Gabriel777

"In everything, therefore, treat people the same way you want them to treat you, for this is the Law and the Prophets."
Amen. Sarcasm is evil and ungodlike

T

thimsrebma

I love sarcasm. Sarcasm is great fun and makes people laugh. I think that you have to know your audience though. Some people just don't get it and so you wouldn't use it with them. Others like me love it so I am not offended or easily confused about it.

Also with sarcasim you have to be able to discern someones intentions. Some people use sarcasm in order to be patronizing. In thats sense then it would be ungodly. If your motive is to belittle or make someone feel bad.

grace

Sep 8, 2006
I believe that what is in your heart will determine if something you say will be sarcasm or wit. I enjoy a good laugh and making people laugh.

YES! Exactly. You said exactly what I was trying to say....but I think you made it come accross much better. :)

I also think that wit/sarcasm are intermingled in my mind....and may not be in others. *shrugs"

N

NukePooch

Amen. Sarcasm is evil and ungodlike
Ummmm...the Bible verse above says to treat people the way you want to be treated, it's not a blanket statement about how ALL people need to treat each other.. Obviously, you don't like humor and sarcasm, which is fine, and so you should treat others without humor and sarcasm. However, nowhere in the Bible does it say anything against humor or sarcasm as long as it's not out of spite or hate. It's important not to take a verse which is personal (the way YOU want to be treated) and apply it to everyone. I personally LOVE sarcasm and humor, and really enjoy it directed at me from others. However, if people are put off by this, I tone it down so as not to be a stumbling block.

God's Word is concerned much more about the thought or feeling behind the act rather than the act itself. Anger, for instance, is fine as long as the thought behind the anger is of God. Humor is fine, unless it's done with a mean-spirited heart, then it's wrong. The Pharisees thought they were right by their actions, but their motives were wrong. Remember, it's always the thought that counts...