Are Christians obligated to tithe?

  • Thread starter Thread starter pengy
  • Start date Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
I agree we are to "present ourselves as living sacrifices" and I agree with the majority of what you say, my stance in saying what I was saying is that people are told they have to or are supposed to give 10% to a denomination, my point is who ordained them? so I cant see giving mosey to a denotation as tithing, I am for support tuth wil financial means and to support the will of the Most High fully.
There is no denomination worthy of that kind of stewardship,
however, God still uses people in those denominations.

A priest tithing to another priest makes no sense, and is not a practice in the Word.
A priest helping out a fellow priest makes perfect sense, and is the very essence of brotherly love.
Tithe is not for the Church to perform, but for those who are not priests.
 
How do you feel about murder, anyone under that Law?

I think murder is a-okay! What do you think?

XD that made me laugh. And my laugh made my wife come over. And then it made her laugh.
Well played master Tintin

turned my stomach, with all the murder, wars and oppression, I dont think it funny to laugh sitting behind my computer while people are slaughtered in other parts of the world. but the TV has desensitized many, ohh another war, yawn.....
 
There is no denomination worthy of that kind of stewardship,
however, God still uses people in those denominations.

A priest tithing to another priest makes no sense, and is not a practice in the Word.
A priest helping out a fellow priest makes perfect sense, and is the very essence of brotherly love.
Tithe is not for the Church to perform, but for those who are not priests.

this is more along the lines of my thinking, because man can not ordain himself, he can declare himself ordained but that does not make it so, delicate/deep matter I guess.
 
turned my stomach, with all the murder, wars and oppression, I dont think it funny to laugh sitting behind my computer while people are slaughtered in other parts of the world. but the TV has desensitized many, ohh another war, yawn.....
You are right. The humor I found in it comes from detachment.
I do have to repent (turn my mind) about what I view as "funny".
 
turned my stomach, with all the murder, wars and oppression, I dont think it funny to laugh sitting behind my computer while people are slaughtered in other parts of the world. but the TV has desensitized many, ohh another war, yawn.....

Real-life violence turns my stomach too. I hate it! But he asked a stupid question, so he received a stupid answer.
 
Real-life violence turns my stomach too. I hate it! But he asked a stupid question, so he received a stupid answer.

glad to hear, honestly I did not think otherwise but I thought i important to point out it is not a joking matter, at least IMO.

I dont think his question was stupid though, because how can we discard one of the ten and say the other 9 are still in effect as written but you know that 4th one is different, why not change em all? (no really asking, just illustrating)
 
You are right. The humor I found in it comes from detachment.
I do have to repent (turn my mind) about what I view as "funny".

me too, I laugh at things I should not, I think we all have been desensitized by this world and its teachings, not by intention here, but this is the reason we all need to meditate on His Righteous precepts IMO. we absorb the world by default because we live in it, why not absorb righteous teachings that the Spirit may have something in out mind to strengthen?
 
I am so blessed and encouraged to read some posts on here about this topic....
Hizikya and Ukorin...Awesome example of coming to an agreement in an edifying way...not that my opinion is special...just saying...
High five.
 
I would like to add this to expound a bit concerning the covenant of tithe from those without access to the holiest of all to those with access. I would like to draw your attention to the salt.

Numbers 18:18-20King James Version (KJV)

18*And the flesh of them shall be thine, as the wave breast and as the right shoulder are thine.

19*All the heave offerings of the holy things, which the children of Israel offer unto the Lord, have I given thee, and thy sons and thy daughters with thee, by a statute for ever: it is a covenant of salt for ever before the Lord unto thee and to thy seed with thee.

20*And the Lord spake unto Aaron, Thou shalt have no inheritance in their land, neither shalt thou have any part among them: I am thy part and thine inheritance among the children of Israel.

2 Chronicles 13:4-6King James Version (KJV)

4*And Abijah stood up upon mount Zemaraim, which is in mount Ephraim, and said, Hear me, thou Jeroboam, and all Israel;

5*Ought ye not to know that the Lord God of Israel gave the kingdom over Israel to David for ever, even to him and to his sons by a covenant of salt?

6*Yet Jeroboam the son of Nebat, the servant of Solomon the son of David, is risen up, and hath rebelled against his lord.


Matthew 5:12-14King James Version (KJV)

12*Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.

13*Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men.

14*Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.

Mark 9:49-50King James Version (KJV)

49*For every one shall be salted with fire, and every sacrifice shall be salted with salt.

50*Salt is good: but if the salt have lost his saltness, wherewith will ye season it? Have salt in yourselves, and have peace one with another.


I honestly believe that the real us tastes good to the world, and they can recieve benefit from the real us (which is not the sin in the flesh if we hate sin). I also believe that most of the world does not know about us not being the sin in our flesh, and so they are offended. I believe we can do better.

2 Corinthians 8:7-9King James Version (KJV)

7*Therefore, as ye abound in every thing, in faith, and utterance, and knowledge, and in all diligence, and in your love to us, see that ye abound in this grace also.

8*I speak not by commandment, but by occasion of the forwardness of others, and to prove the sincerity of your love.

9*For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich.
 
I don't believe in tithing. It's an Old Covenant practice tied to the Law. Christians don't live under the Law, we live in Christ, who fulfilled the Law. Now Christ is our Sabbath and we are His living sacrifices. We're meant to give everything we are to God. But in that, it's between God and ourselves how much we give monetarily etc. Naturally, as we grow in our love for God and realise more His love for us, we'll learn to give more and more generously (of our time, money, skills etc.) but really I don't believe tithing has any place under the New Covenant. Tithing is more about obligation, not giving out of love (that's not always the case, but much of the time it seems to be true).
Is this old testement ?
[h=1]Proverbs 3:9-10King James Version (KJV)[/h]9 Honour the Lord with thy substance, and with the firstfruits of all thine increase:
10 So shall thy barns be filled with plenty, and thy presses shall burst out with new wine.
 
completely immaterial to the question of whether "tithing" is commanded​ of believers.

does Christ contradict Paul or not?
is Paul's writing scripture, yes or no?
Is Jesus forbbiding tithes in this verse ?

[h=1]Matthew 23:23King James Version (KJV)[/h]23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.
 
Amen...If you have inheritance in the land...you better tithe ten percent to whatever united group you recognize as the priesthood. If you have access to the holiest of all...you should work for God with all time and resources. I know it's hard to find a group really giving all correctly without contradiction to scripture, but praise God this identity crisis is being resolved in some I know now from this thread. Hallelujah!
 
Is this old testement ?
Proverbs 3:9-10King James Version (KJV)

9 Honour the Lord with thy substance, and with the firstfruits of all thine increase:
10 So shall thy barns be filled with plenty, and thy presses shall burst out with new wine.

Yes, Proverbs is an Old Testament book. What do you think?
 

The Law of Moses, given to the Israelites, required a fixed amount to be given to the Lord. The Law of Christ, given to Christians, requires a non-fixed amount.


"Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given orders to the churches of Galatia, so you must do also: On the first day of the week let each one of you lay something aside, storing up as he may prosper, that there be no collections when I come" (1 Corinthians 16:1-2).

"Therefore I thought it necessary to exhort the brethren to go to you ahead of time, and prepare your generous gift beforehand, which you had previously promised, that it may be ready as a matter of generosity and not as a grudging obligation. But this I say: He who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver" (2 Corinthians 9:5-7)

Since the amount is not fixed at 10%, it cannot be called a "tithe."

We are no longer under the Old Law:

[SUP]6 [/SUP]But now He has obtained a more excellent ministry, inasmuch as He is also Mediator of a better covenant, which was established on better promises. [SUP]7 [/SUP]For if that first covenant had been faultless, then no place would have been sought for a second. [SUP]8 [/SUP]Because finding fault with them, He says: “Behold, the days are coming, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah— [SUP]9 [/SUP]not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they did not continue in My covenant, and I disregarded them, says the Lord. [SUP]10 [/SUP]For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put My laws in their mind and write them on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. [SUP]11 [/SUP]None of them shall teach his neighbor, and none his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them. [SUP]12 [/SUP]For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their lawless deeds I will remember no more.”
[SUP]13 [/SUP]In that He says, “A new covenant,” He has made the first obsolete. Now what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away. (Hebrews 8:6-13)
 
Is Jesus forbbiding tithes in this verse ?

Matthew 23:23King James Version (KJV)

23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.


has anyone, anywhere, ever actually forbid tithing?
has anyone so much as said "it is not good" to give?

we know that God desires mercy, not sacrifice, and that His apostle encouraged but did not compel giving.

so what do we think? are we like the Mormons? will we track our members paychecks and throw them out of the temple if they don't pay 10% of their gross to the priesthood? or does the Lord we serve love in a more perfect way?
 
All I know is in my life the more I gave the more I got back.....the times I have short changed the Lord the less I had and you cannot out give the Lord!

Once I went and visited a church and had driven about an hour and had planned on eating at Mc. Cracks on the way home....I had about $20 on me and that was all I had.....during the offering to the Lord I felt compelled and put the 20 dollar bill in the plate knowing full well that I would not be able to get something to eat on the way home....As I walked out of church an old man walked up to me and said...I feel like you need this and he handed me $40.....If I had a dime for every time this has happened in my life I would have another $10 in my pocket for sure.........You cannot out give the Lord!
 
No doubt....Those who have inheritance in the land (the world...not Christisns/high priesthood with access to the holiest of all) owe 10 percent.

Matthew 18:18-20King James Version (KJV)

18*Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

19*Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.

20*For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

Matthew 6:8-10King James Version (KJV)

8*Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

9*After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.

10*Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
 
Did the Levites tithe?
If we are priests of Christ, and the Church is the fulfillment of the Temple,
and all of us a part of that Temple,
then that Law is for those who are not in Christ. (If anyone in the world is obeying the Law, but not in Christ, we should be expecting checks)

As priests, ALL that we have is for the use and purpose of the Temple (the Church) and a tithe is not needed.
The question we should be asking is: are we working for the building of the Church, or just building a comfortable life.
I'm guilty as any.

The Levites tithed a tenth of the nation's tithe to the priesthood, then lived off the 90%
Numbers 18:25-26 (KJV)
[SUP]25 [/SUP] And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
[SUP]26 [/SUP] Thus speak unto the Levites, and say unto them, When ye take of the children of Israel the tithes which I have given you from them for your inheritance, then ye shall offer up an heave offering of it for the LORD, even a tenth part of the tithe.


They performed according to the pattern God showed Moses. I don't know of any other Bible pattern to follow for tithing to support ministers of the gospel. The Bible teaches that the tithe is for them, not for maintaining a building. There is no Bible provision for that expense. If free will offerings are not given atop the tithe, then a portion of the tithe goes into the building serving the building. To follow the original intent of the tithe to support ministers who labor for the gospel, both tithes and sufficient offerings ought to be regular income for the ministry. Otherwise the ministers must subsist on whatever is left over. A church budget ought to be set up to support staff with expected tithes, then add in all the other stuff. Typically nowadays the congregation pledges their share to cover it all. Expensive building programs often threaten that system when income falls below expenses just like any family must manage around. In every case of local churches for several counties around me, failing to pay bills it is due to loss of tithers as they die, or perhaps family takes over their estate, etc.

We've strayed a long way from simply assembling ourselves together. I wonder how many folks here do that literally somewhere.....

I disagree that God wants everything we have for the Church use. We are commanded to provide for our family first, lest we be found worse than infidels. God wants the precious part of us that is without price according to Matthew 22:37 (KJV)
[SUP]37 [/SUP] Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.


Jesus assigned disciples to go out ministering the gospel after the Levite manner, neither he nor any apostle changing that. Matthew 10:9-11 (KJV) [SUP]9 [/SUP] Provide neither gold, nor silver, nor brass in your purses,
[SUP]10 [/SUP] Nor scrip for your journey, neither two coats, neither shoes, nor yet staves: for the workman is worthy of his meat.
[SUP]11 [/SUP] And into whatsoever city or town ye shall enter, enquire who in it is worthy; and there abide till ye go thence.


But, our current generation has made all sorts of alternate doctrines, substituting comfortable gifts here and there for the tithe which Jesus, our High Priest, still receives of ministers on earth according to Hebrews 7. It is no wonder to me why so many people suffer in finances, still ignoring the Bible in many ways. I don't believe God will back the money system of any nation that robs him. Israel did it and was carried off into slavery, their money though based on silver, not promises. At least a silver shekel was worth its weight in silver. No nation is immune of such a calamity, especially those like ours whose money isn't backed by anything. That's a reason they put "In God We Trust" on it. The vast majority of Americans don't tithe, following that same pattern. I hope that we will collectively realize our national sin when the dollar won't buy anything, that yet it could be turned around upon our repentance.