Are churches dying?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
The area where I live.. there are some large churches. But mostly it's very small churches. Less than 30 people showing up on a Sunday. And most of the people showing up are 60+ years old. There are very few young people attending these churches.

What is going to happen to these churches as their members pass away? There's nobody there to replace them that I can see.
Same is happening in Australia. It seems to me that the larger churches draw people in, especially the younger generation. It saddens me because so much revolves around "worship". One place I've been to is so loud that my ears were ringing after the singing. God is the "Ancient of Days" but He is not deaf. Too many places are more entertainment centres than spiritual families. Having 10,000 spiritual infants is not growth. It's just numbers and God is not impressed with that. God looks for maturity, for unity, for sound teaching and above all for love. I visited an internationally renowned church in Asia a few years ago. It was packed. You had to have a ticket to get into the first meeting where the Pastor preached in person. I found it sterile and not very friendly. Talking about love and unity is far easier than living it.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
problem is they are cults and young people arent buying that. Pastors force them to believe but no one new is buying that either
By definition, every denomination is a cult. I don't know how you came to your conclusion from what the OP said. No one can force anyone to believe anything. I'd rather go to a nearby Baptist church with 30 people than an even closer hyper Pentecostal church with several hundred members.

Mission21

Pathfinder
Mar 12, 2019
By definition, every denomination is a cult. I don't know how you came to your conclusion from what the OP said. No one can force anyone to believe anything. I'd rather go to a nearby Baptist church with 30 people than an even closer hyper Pentecostal church with several hundred members.
You said,
"By definition, every denomination is a cult."
- interesting point/perspective.
----
Original definition of Cult
It comes from " the Latin Cultus, a noun with meanings
ranging from 'tilling, cultivation' to 'training or education'
to 'adoration'..."

Platosgal

Mar 17, 2020
Sitting in a building is not church
So that thing may go away
God will, and is creating a new thing that is more honest and less
Churchy - we need to pray for his will

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
YES! Relationship, personal, vital, one on one relationship. NOT "religion", we have "played church" since Constantine created an organization mirroring the Roman form of government, so very far from what was His plan.
The "ecclesia" is the body of believers, not an organization or building.
Come quickly Lord Jesus, blessings to all who are His Own

mustaphadrink

Dec 13, 2013
The New Testament Church (NTC) was small and big. it was small because it met in homes but it was big because there was only one church in each town as in the church at Corinth; the church at Philippi; the church at Ephesus etc. They met daily and weekly. no doubt daily in homes and weekly in the synagogue orginally on a Saturday.

The home meetings focused around teaching, prayer, fellowship and eating. They never had a thing called the communion or eucahrist.

It is anyone's guess what the weekly meeting was about. Being jews primarily I guess it had something to do with the temple worship.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Holy Spirit was present as well, thus the Power Jesus spoke of, what is mistaken for the "church" then devolved into religion to where Jesus taught in these days " they will have an outward form of godliness denying the power".

MatthewWestfieldUK

May 13, 2021
The area where I live.. there are some large churches. But mostly it's very small churches. Less than 30 people showing up on a Sunday. And most of the people showing up are 60+ years old. There are very few young people attending these churches.

What is going to happen to these churches as their members pass away? There's nobody there to replace them that I can see.
I would agree. Most in London are being sold. Converted to flats.

HumbleOne

Jul 10, 2021

There could be a couple of reasons. One, God could be in the process of removing a lamp stand. Two, the church simply isn't growing and the out reach is non-existent. Third, depends on the theology they're teaching. Four, the bible Sermons are not deep enough and making little impact. (Sometimes, I call these churches the two verse church) yes, you can. some wonderful sermons with two verse. Five, not Christ centered. Six, change in Christian culture.

There's a whole lot more that could be added.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
All of the above and more, not teaching as the first century church taught on experiencing God and walking in the power of Holy Spirit as is required.