Are curses still relevant to the Christians?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
Generational, mental illness, undiagnosed sickness, feminine problems related not being able to get pregnant or menstrual issues, rampant divorce, etc. (This list was given by a church we visited)

Are curses still relevant to the Christians? We sometimes hear we can be battling curses that keep us from blessings.

Blessings are Biblical
Curses are Biblical
But in what context do they apply to the Christian today?

I personally do not see much info pertaining to a Christian in the New Testament related to how to defeat curses.

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
I personally do not see much info pertaining to a Christian in the New Testament related to how to defeat curses.
This thread is exactly what we need to be focusing on as True Christians. Therefore, I thank you for posting it.

I have belonged to the Church since I was within my mother's womb. I don't ever remember a day when I did not consider myself to be a Christian, even before my baptism. But as you point out, there doesn't seem to be anything dealing with Curses in the New Testament. What's amazing is that I once called myself a "Master" of certain Biblical concepts, such as Eternal Security. The Truth? I was as ignorant as could be BECAUSE I didn't understand the Curse of the Lord. At age 53 I began to study the Bible for myself, forgetting all that had been taught to me by "men." It was this time in my life that I began to depend on the Spirit to be taught the things of our Powerful, Almighty God.

The Adamic Curse is the Heart of the Bible. The Curse of the Lord involves [three] Holy Elements of Christ, and it is through understanding these [three] Elements that we come to know and understand the True Gospel of Jesus. They are:

1) The Purpose of Christ
2) The Work of Christ
3) The Effect of Christ

The Purpose of Christ is to Redeem us from the Curse of the Lord. Consider the following verse: Galatians 3:13 NLT - "But Christ has rescued us from the curse pronounced by the law. When he was hung on the cross, he took upon himself the curse for our wrongdoing. For it is written in the Scriptures, "Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree."

Note that the NLT is the only translation that doesn't botch these words. All other translations state that it is the Law that is a curse. Ridiculous. Does "Love they neighbor" or "Thou shalt not kill" sound like a curse? Christ Redeems us from that? That should make us angry; that such mistranslation would occur. For Paul taught himself that the Law is "Good" and "Holy."

The Work of Christ is to remove that Curse through His Spiritual Circumcision. Consider the following verses: Colossians 2:11, 13 NLT - "When you came to Christ, you were "circumcised," but not by a physical procedure. Christ performed a spiritual circumcision--the cutting away of your sinful nature." ... "You were dead because of your sins and because your sinful nature was not yet cut away. Then God made you alive with Christ, for he forgave all our sins."

The Effect of the Work of Christ is a Transformation; a rebirth. Consider the following verse: Romans 12:2 NLT - "Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect."

It is the Circumcision of Christ that creates Transformation. Without this Transformation, we cannot Love others as described in 1 Cor chapter 13, the Love Chapter. The Effect of Christ is revealed by a person who begins to think "this" way: "The things I used to do, the sin I used to commit, I no longer do them. For it wasn't me who did those things, but the Sinful Nature that was within me." This is the opposite of what Paul said in reference to his "old" Sinful Nature. Regarding his pre-transformed life, he said:

Romans 7:5, 17-20 NLT - "When we were controlled by our old nature, sinful desires were at work within us, and the law aroused these evil desires that produced a harvest of sinful deeds, resulting in death. ... 17 So I am not the one doing wrong; it is sin living in me that does it. 18 And I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. I want to do what is right, but I can't. 19 I want to do what is good, but I don't. I don't want to do what is wrong, but I do it anyway. 20 But if I do what I don't want to do, I am not really the one doing wrong; it is sin living in me that does it."

At the end of Romans, we all remember Paul's saying, "Who will save me from this body of death. Jesus Christ!"

The above statement is pointing directly to Colossians 2:9-15. It is the Circumcision of Christ that makes us "whole" and "Complete." It is the Circumcision of Christ that Redeems us from the Curse of the Lord which produces a Holy Effect.

So, why are we not being taught these things? Perhaps it is time to learn of these things and take them directly to your "pastor/s" and staff at your church and ask them why they do not teach them. It is repulsive that our teachers, pastors, and staff are keeping the Holy Truth from us. It is time for us to take back our Churches and put them into right order. If we, the True Body of Christ do not fight, more and more will be led into a Gospel that does not save . . . at . . . all.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Generational, mental illness, undiagnosed sickness, feminine problems related not being able to get pregnant or menstrual issues, rampant divorce, etc. (This list was given by a church we visited)

Are curses still relevant to the Christians? We sometimes hear we can be battling curses that keep us from blessings.

Blessings are Biblical
Curses are Biblical

curses biblically are always a result of transgression of the ot law it’s the source of cursing

“Behold, I set before you this day a blessing and a curse; A blessing, if ye obey the commandments of the Lord your God, which I command you this day: And a curse, if ye will not obey the commandments of the Lord your God, but turn aside out of the way which I command you this day, to go after other gods, which ye have not known.”
‭‭Deuteronomy‬ ‭11:26-28‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“The earth also is defiled under the inhabitants thereof; because they have transgressed the laws, changed the ordinance, broken the everlasting covenant. Therefore hath the curse devoured the earth, and they that dwell therein are desolate: therefore the inhabitants of the earth are burned, and few men left.”
‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭24:5-6‬ ‭KJV‬‬

transgression even from the start of Gods command in Eden cursed man and the earth

“And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life; In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.”
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭3:17, 19‬ ‭KJV‬‬

in Christ the curses of the law are removed here is no curse of death Christ took it for us , and we’re promised the blessing of Abraham and a blessed world to come where he is

“For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.

Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:

That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.”
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭3:10, 13-14‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Christians are blessed it’s just that we’re in a wicked world that hated Jesus and hates us too so it seems like we might be cursed sometimes lol

just my opinion on it I believe that in Christ there is blessing for all but under the law of sin there is only a curse for sinners and that’s the source of all cursing in the Bible in my belief but I’m no authority for sure

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Well we do battle not against flesh and blood after all. I have heard of generation curses and have been cursed by a witch who I did not get along with but either God protected me or she had no power

I am not sure a Christian can be cursed but if we can then it is all the more important to be solid in scripture praay without ceasing and to soak in his presence and the enemy will do all he can to make this all hard for you too he will try to distract you he will try to make you hateful angry and bitter he will bring life to ruin for you but it is a battle that can be won and some people who might be dealing with curses assuming they actually know a curse from life just being life end up being some of the strongest spiritual warriors.

A curse from God is different you cannot fight against it and honestly you just have to pay the piper in that one but again we have to know the difference between curses and life just being life.
Nost of my life has been suffering and a show of how unfair life can be I could easily say I am cursed it wouldn't surprise me if a generational curse if those actually exist has had it's grip on me since I was born it seems that life just has it out for me but in my suffering I have learned and grown in Christ I have learned to take it in stride even though sometimes I do stumble and have weak moments.

I think learning about the actual war we face and learning how to deal with and overcome it is an important topic for any Christian

Aerials1978

Dec 10, 2019
I would have to say no, as there are various reasons as to why. However, Christians are not immune to evil that persists in the world whether it be physical or spiritual.

O

Oblio

One morning, twenty-two years ago, while at a retreat and in my room, I followed instructions we'd been given the day before and prayed to break curses, back four generations on each of my father and my mother's side.
When I broke the last curse on my father's side, it felt like a bucket of spiritual water was dumped on my head. The same thing happened with my mother's side. I lifted my hands and praised the Lord. After being a believer for 27 years, it was then that I received the gift of tongues.

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021
The Curses laid out in Deuteronomy 28 are still in effect today for all unbelievers -------as all unbelievers are sinners ------they have rejected Jesus as their Lord and Saviour and are still bound by the Law ---which they can't keep ---so they remain under the curse -----

Galatians 3:10-12 NIV

10 For all who rely on the works of the law are under a curse, as it is written: “Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law.”[a]

11 Clearly no one who relies on the law is justified before God, because “the righteous will live by faith.”[b]

12 The law is not based on faith; on the contrary, it says, “The person who does these things will live by them.”
13 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: “Cursed is everyone who is hung on a pole.”

So what is the meaning of curse -----is the empowerment to fail --to fall ----

KJV Dictionary Definition: curse

. To utter a wish of evil against one; to imprecate evil upon; to call for mischief or injury to fall upon; to execrate.

To injure; to subject to evil; to vex, harass or torment with great calamities -

Devoted to destruction.

Condemnation; sentence of divine vengeance on sinners.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blessings in Deuteronomy 28 are still in effect today for all believers who have received Jesus as their Lord and Saviour ----as their sins have been forgiven and their name has been changed from sinner to Saint ---they live by Faith ------

Can a true Christian still be Cursed with God's Judgment -----Well when we talk about a curse brought on by God -----No ----what God Blesses He does not reverse ----nor can we or anyone else reverse the Blessing back to a curse -----

Proverbs 26:2 AMP B
Similitudes, Instructions

2 Like the sparrow in her wandering, like the swallow in her flying,
So the curse without cause does not come and alight [on the undeserving].

I say ------A Curse means to fail --to fall ------so Can a true Christian who relies on their own decision making instead of relying on God's direction in that decision bring about an empowerment to fail
( Curse) in their outcome of the decision ? ------with God giving the direction your victory is assured ----so I say we can give a curse a cause if we take things into our own hands and keep God at bay -----so in that way we can bring on a curse to invade our lives --When we let God lead us we will end up being blessed in our victory -----

So here is the thing ---if you believe right ---then you will live right and you will not give a curse a cause to alight -----You will have victory in the Blessings -----:)---that is how I see it -----

CS1

May 23, 2012

Blessings are Biblical
Curses are Biblical

we are not under a curse as a born again child of God. We have no generational curses , however the flesh will suffer corruption until it has been glorified in the resurrection.

Oct 29, 2021
You have to had that explained to you. It's no secret, read enough occult literature and you will see it soon, the writers explain in great detail that curses are worked, not said. Prayers are said to God, and that's essentially that, but magic is worked. In other words, say some witch wants to cause a problem, it's something the person does. It has little if anything to do with the pagan revelries at night around the campfire with the beverages.

Feb 21, 2016
One morning, twenty-two years ago, while at a retreat and in my room, I followed instructions we'd been given the day before and prayed to break curses, back four generations on each of my father and my mother's side.
When I broke the last curse on my father's side, it felt like a bucket of spiritual water was dumped on my head. The same thing happened with my mother's side. I lifted my hands and praised the Lord. After being a believer for 27 years, it was then that I received the gift of tongues.
God wanted me to repent of my sins so I can be set free.All of them.Even generational sins.There was one that I tired to hide and it was a past relationship that I didn't think was anything.But God sent someone over to ask me if there was a sin I didn't want to repent of.A past relationship.So I repented,and Immediately a heavy weight fell over me on my shoulders pushing me down.And soon after that, the weight 'flew' off and I felt so alive and light on my feet and as I was praising God I heard him say that satan was trying to hold my sins down on me.I also heard satan saying that he'll be back.
I did fall back into sin.Years later I repented in prayer and could feel the same weight on my shoulders releasing again.This time a brown dirty garment appeared before my closed eyes.A line came down and 'cleaned' the garment pure white.You could see the garment sparkling white.Happen so fast.Like a flash.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
“Behold, I set before you this day a blessing and a curse; A blessing, if ye obey the commandments of the Lord your God, which I command you this day: And a curse, if ye will not obey the commandments of the Lord your God, but turn aside out of the way which I command you this day, to go after other gods, which ye have not known.”
‭‭Deuteronomy‬ ‭11:26-28‬ ‭KJV‬‬
Curses are related to demons, and we need to know how our enemy demons work to protect ourselves from them. I made a study of them. One source was by reading the reports of exorcist.

According to many conversations with them reported, I found that as it says in Deuteronomy, demons look to our acceptance of a sin as OK, not at whether we accept Christ as our savior.

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
Once the Curse of the Lord has been removed by the Circumcision of Christ, there is no New Testament evidence that any curse can be applied to a True Believer. If there is, someone please point it out to me so that I can update my Biblical notes.

Thanks

O

Oblio

The day after I dealt with my curses, which are footholds for the enemy, we had our deliverance session. What an eye-opener!

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
The day after I dealt with my curses, which are footholds for the enemy, we had our deliverance session. What an eye-opener!
Are you saying that the Sinful Nature hadn't been cut away, or disassociated with your heart? It is the Circumcision of Christ that results in the "defeat" of Satan in a True Believers life.

Below, notice the word "complete" and "disarmed" (or defeated) which results in "victory"

Colossians 2:9-15 NLT - "For in Christ lives all the fullness of God in a human body. 10 So you also are complete through your union with Christ, who is the head over every ruler and authority. 11 When you came to Christ, you were "circumcised," but not by a physical procedure. Christ performed a spiritual circumcision--the cutting away of your sinful nature. 12 For you were buried with Christ when you were baptized. And with him you were raised to new life because you trusted the mighty power of God, who raised Christ from the dead. 13 You were dead because of your sins and because your sinful nature was not yet cut away. Then God made you alive with Christ, for he forgave all our sins. 14 He canceled the record of the charges against us and took it away by nailing it to the cross. 15 In this way, he disarmed the spiritual rulers and authorities. He shamed them publicly by his victory over them on the cross."

The Circumcision of Christ renders a Believer Holy and "complete" - Being Complete in Christ, the Law has fulfilled its duty and a Believer is now separated from the Law (all worldly laws that render any form of judgment). By this Circumcision, we are made "alive" and the Devil is defeated.

Therefore, how can you be cursed with any form of evil if you were made "complete" in Christ, made "alive" in Christ, and evil has been defeated? Think carefully about these things, for this is the True Gospel of Christ, something our modern-day "church" does not preach nor teach.

O

Oblio

Just telling you what I experienced when I spent a week with some people who had more to offer than theology.
I had first-hand experience with God and the enemy that week! The Lord kicked the enemy's butt!

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
Just telling you what I experienced
I hear you, and what I wrote above your post is what I experienced. There is no more important Scripture than those Seven verses in Colossians.

O

Oblio

In '73, I heard John 3:16, had a vision of a sword piercing my heart, and have believed ever since. Though I didn't mature.
In '75, I was water-baptized, though it didn't do much. I was never discipled properly. I don't come from a Christian background.
My grandfather was an Orangeman. Some don't mature spiritually like most. I guess I was one of those.
The teachings were The Divine Plumb Line by Bruce Thompson, Release From The Curse and Basics Of Deliverance by Derek Prince, Root And Fruit Of Pride by Floyd McClung and the rest was by ministry leader, Howard Ellis. I think they can all be found on You Tube.
The Holy Spirit and the bible were center stage for the week. It was a very difficult week and I'm so glad I went!

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
In '73, I heard John 3:16, had a vision of a sword piercing my heart, and have believed ever since. Though I didn't mature.
In '75, I was water-baptized, though it didn't do much. I was never discipled properly. I don't come from a Christian background.
My grandfather was an Orangeman. Some don't mature spiritually like most. I guess I was one of those.
The teachings were The Divine Plumb Line by Bruce Thompson, Release From The Curse and Basics Of Deliverance by Derek Prince, Root And Fruit Of Pride by Floyd McClung and the rest was by ministry leader, Howard Ellis. I think they can all be found on You Tube.
The Holy Spirit and the bible were center stage for the week. It was a very difficult week and I'm so glad I went!
Dear Oblio,

Here's what I believe is likely to be your story, which is the story of us all if we have been Chosen by the Lord.

Before the creation of the world (the Bible tells us), you were chosen in Him. When you were born, you were born into sin because of what Adam and Eve had done. Their sin resulted in the Lord placing a Curse upon all of creation, and that includes our physical flesh which results in death, and it also rendered our "heart" to be corrupt as well. But though our hearts are born corrupt, this does not mean that we are not Chosen by the Lord. What do I mean? This means that a person who "receives" the Lord at age 20, well, they must wait in their position of corruption until age 20. Therefore, until age 20, their Transformation will not begin. They will live and remain in sin until age 20.

And what about a person who does not receive the Lord until age 80? They will live in sin for 80 years, doing the things that they do not want to do. They believe that the Laws of God are good and Holy, but they cannot do the things that they want to do because there is nothing good that is within the Sinful Nature. Correct; I am quoting Paul in Romans 7, where Paul teaches us what he experienced prior to his Romans 12:2 Transformation. He was referencing the time in his life PRIOR to his Sinful Nature being cut out and removed, thus he didn't do the things he wanted to do.

All who are Chosen before the creation of the world . . . they will 1) live in sin . . . 2) despise the sin that they commit, though they cannot stop . . . 3) will eventually come to a genuine relationship with Christ and thus begin to actually Transform.

Yes, this means that the majority of us call ourselves Christians, and that is because we Love the laws of God. However, we cannot obey them because we have not Truly been saved by Christ . . . yet. Thus, we remain deceived, for until that Curse has been lifted, we cannot be True Children of the Lord. It won't be until the Sinful Nature has been cut out and removed that we will not only Love the Laws of God, but we will be Enabled to obey them.

What I have described above is exactly what happened to me. When I was baptized, it did nothing for me. In fact, with my hair still wet from being baptized, I walked one block away from the church and stole a bag of rubber bands for my paper route business. I was just baptized!!! But like you, the water did nothing to us because water is also corrupt, for it is a part of the cursed, decaying world. My life kept getting worse and worse. My behavior was incredibly sinful, being sexual with multiple partners in a single week. I was out of control and the more confident I became in my sexual prowess, the more out of control I became. Clearly, I could be identified by my fruit . . . meaning, my "Father" was still the Devil. Certainly, I was not Transformed.

However, God always knew that He would Circumcise my Heart in the most Powerful of experiential ways. Finally, after my heart was Circumcised by Christ, I was then able to obey. And now I say, "The sinful things I used to do, I no longer do them. I hate sin, and now I have learned to obey. I do the things I want to do, which is to obey God." - This is what a Transformed Christian says.

So, anyone who is on the Path to being reborn in the future, they will possess certain forms of love, empathy, grace, and compassion that others around us do not have. But, we will not be True Christians as of yet. Eventually, those forms of love, empathy, grace, and compassion, they become fully recognized and developed after Christ finally saves us . . . all in His timing; not our own.

I hope this makes sense.

All respect,

David

O

Oblio

While I was at the retreat, I started practicing Luke 9:23. I was told to take a sin from my confessed list, one at a time, and act like I was actually nailing it to a real cross. As I started doing this, I could actually see a little cross in the spirit realm. I don't know if this sounds weird, but I did this for 20 years whenever some sin came to mind.
Then, in 2020, I became very sensitive to the Lord and all my fear and insecurities that had plagued me my whole life were gone! I'm not afraid to die.
During the summer, I'd stand outside of my townhouse, playing my guitar and praising the Lord. I used to lead worship in church, but now I am free and can praise the Lord anywhere!
In 2004, I had a bad reaction to a medication that put me in a coma. My heart stopped and they couldn't start it again. As they were filling out my time of death, it started again.
Years later, I remembered that while I was dead, I saw Jesus in the New Jerusalem.
This is part of a song I wrote because of this hard time.

Alone in the dark, in pain and afraid,
I'd never felt so ripped apart.
This went on for years, and I ran out of tears
Then Jesus resurrected in my heart.
I died, He lives, and dwells inside of me
I am finally assured of eternity
He never left my side, not even when I died
He was with me in the dark...right by my side!
Faithful is His name! tc

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Are curses still relevant to the Christians?
SHORT ANSWER:NO. Christ has removed all curses, by Himself becoming accursed for us while hanging on the cross.

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ: (Eph 1:3)

Christians are "in Christ".