Are Mormons Christian?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
In 1820, Joseph Smith Jr. claimed a heavenly vision that he said singled him out as the Lord’s anointed prophet for this dispensation, though it was not until 1823, with the appearance of the angel Moroni at the quaking Smith’s bedside, that Joe began his relationship to the fabulous "golden plates," or what was to become the Book of Mormon.

According to Smith’s account of this extraordinary revelation, which is recorded in the Pearl of Great Price (Joseph Smith—History, 1:29–54), the angel Moroni, the glorified son of one Mormon, the man for whom the famous book of the same name is entitled, appeared beside Joseph’s bedside and thrice repeated his commission to the allegedly awe-struck treasure-hunter. Smith did not write this account down until some years later, but even that fails to excuse the blunder he made in transmitting the angelic proclamation. This confusion appears in the 1851 edition of the Pearl of Great Price, wherein Joseph Smith identifies the messenger as Nephi, an entirely different character found in the Book of Mormon. This unfortunate crossing up of the divine communication system was later remedied by thoughtful Mormon scribes who have exercised great care to ferret out all the historical and factual blunders not readily explainable in the writings of Smith, Young, and other early Mormon writers. In current editions Moroni is identified as the night-time visitor. However, whether Nephi or Moroni carried the message to Smith apparently makes little difference to the faithful.

The nightmarish blunder of crediting the revelation of the Book of Mormon to Nephi instead of Moroni has never ceased to be a proverbial thorn in the side of Mormon historians. Try as they will, it is impossible to erase it from the hand-written manuscripts of the Mormon Church history, which was supervised by Joseph Smith during his life. A reproduction of the manuscript may be found in Jerald and Sandra Tanner’s Mormonism—Shadow or Reality (Salt Lake City: Utah Lighthouse Ministry, 1987, fifth edition), 136. Later, in 1842, these manuscripts formed the basis of the published history of Mormonism, again, overseen by Smith before his death, where Nephi appears as the revelatory angel, cf. Times and Seasons, vol. 3 (Nauvoo, Ill.: Times and Seasons), 753. The first edition of the Pearl of Great Price (1851), with the subtitle "Choice selections of revelations, translations, and narrations of Joseph Smith," contained the name Nephi because the unchallenged history of Mormonism had set such a foundation.

In 1827 Smith claimed to receive the golden plates upon which the Book of Mormon is alleged to have been written. Shortly after this historic find, unearthed in the hill Cumorah, near Palmyra, New York, Smith began to "translate" the "reformed Egyptian" 10 hieroglyphics, inscribed thereupon by means of the "Urim and Thummim," a type of miraculous spectacles, which the angel Moroni had the foresight to provide for the budding seer. The account of how Smith went about "translating" the plates and of the attendant difficulties with one Martin Harris, his wife, and Professor Charles Anthon, a noted scholar, will be dealt with more fully later in this chapter. However, the plot is obvious to anyone who is even basically informed concerning the real character of Joseph Smith; so we will continue with the prophet’s history.

During the period when Joseph was translating the plates (1827–1829), one Oliver Cowdery, an itinerant schoolteacher, visited Smith at the home of his father-in-law (who after some months, for the sake of his daughter, had received Joseph into his home), where he was duly "converted" to the prophet’s religion and soon after became one of several "scribes" who faithfully wrote down what Joseph said the plates read, in spite of the fact that he and Smith were separated by a curtain during the "translation." In the course of time, Smith and Cowdery became fast friends, and the progression of the "translation" and spiritual zeal allegedly attained such heights that on May 15, 1829, John the Baptist, in person, was speedily dispatched by Peter, James, and John to the humble state of Pennsylvania with orders to confer the "Aaronic Priesthood" on Joe and Oliver.

This amazing event is recorded in the Pearl of Great Price (Joseph Smith—History, 1:68–73), following which Oliver baptised Joe and vice versa; and they spent time blessing one another and prophesying future events "which should shortly come to pass." Smith was careful not to be too specific in recording these prophecies, because of the fact that more often than not Mormon prophecies did not come in on schedule, which no doubt accounted for Smith’s hesitancy in alluding to details.

From the now hallowed state of Pennsylvania, immortalised by Smith’s initiation into the priesthood of Aaron by John the Baptist, Joseph returned shortly to the home of Peter Whitmer in Fayette, New York, where he remained until the "translation" from the plates was completed and the Book of Mormon published and copyrighted in the year 1830. On April 6 of the same year, the prophet, in company with his brothers Hyrum and Samuel, Oliver Cowdery, and David and Peter Whitmer Jr., officially founded a "new religious society" entitled "The Church of Christ" (later to be named the Church of the Latter-day Saints [1834], and finally as the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1838). Thus it was that one of the more virulent strains of American cults came into existence—Mormonism had begun in earnest.
co Kingdom of the Cults, Walter Martin..

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Mat 7:1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.
The very next verse instructs to remove the beam in ones own eye THAT YOU MAY SEE MORE CLEARLY, a clear instruction to discern, one of the biggest causes of error is to only read a part of a verse, to "cherry pick" what you want it to say, and then stand on it, as we see here.

ewq1938

Oct 18, 2018
The very next verse instructs to remove the beam in ones own eye THAT YOU MAY SEE MORE CLEARLY, a clear instruction to discern, one of the biggest causes of error is to only read a part of a verse, to "cherry pick" what you want it to say, and then stand on it, as we see here.
It is still wrong to judge others due to that very beam in one's eye. If it is removed the judging wouldn't happen.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
so, you don't accept scripture as the inerrant guidepost for your life but believe you can add on what you want, leaning on your own understanding, not taking everything to the Father first as He commands. This displays the result what a lifetime of wrong teaching can lead to.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
So we can see more clearly to judge others? Jesus was sacrificed to save all the world that believes in him from judgment. We are not the Judges. Yahweh is. Jesus is our defender. Satan is the accuser.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
Mat 7:1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.
Judge not, so that you won't be judged, has nothing to do with false religions and beliefs. In that verse Jesus is speaking to believers regarding other believers. And the type of judgment is condemning and passing sentence. The word of God regarding judgment has been terribly misinterpreted. We are to make judgments, not condemnation or passing sentence, but come to a decision regarding the actions of others based on the word of God. If I'm speaking to a believer in Christ and He tells me that he went to a party the other night, me a girl and ended up sleeping with here, then I have already made a judgement based on God's word. And because he has told me this, I am to confront him with it, that is unless I am committing the same sin. In that case, Jesus said for me to get the board out of my own eye and then I can help my brother get the speck out of his. Consider what Paul had to say about believers judging within the church:

=================================================================
I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people--not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world. But now I am writing to you that you must not associate with anyone who claims to be a brother or sister c but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or slanderer, a drunkard or swindler. Do not even eat with such people.

What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? God will judge those outside. “Expel the wicked person from among you.”
================================================================

First of ally, Paul tells us not to associate with sexually immoral people. How could we make that decision without making a judgment, i.e. coming to a conclusion of what they are doing based on the word of God?

Then he says, "What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside?"

How could Paul say that if in fact we are not to judge?

Regarding what you said that we should not judge Mormon's i.e. come to the decision that they are not in Christ, would you say the same thing about Buddhists or Muslims? Muslims also believe in Jesus, but that He was only a prophet and not God in the flesh. Can we make the judgment that they are not in Christ?

When we judge, and we are supposed to, we don't make condemning judgments. An example that would be if someone told me they were living a same-sex lifestyle and I sit as judge and pass sentence upon them proclaiming their punishment. That is the kind of judgment that Jesus is saying that we should not do. And as I already mentioned, we should not be making judgments about what our brothers and sisters are doing, when we are doing the same things or worse.

My advice to you my friend, is that you ought to do a deeper study regarding these issues before you comment on them.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Judge not, so that you won't be judged, has nothing to do with false religions and beliefs. In that verse Jesus is speaking to believers regarding other believers. And the type of judgment is condemning and passing sentence. The word of God regarding judgment has been terribly misinterpreted. We are to make judgments, not condemnation or passing sentence, but come to a decision regarding the actions of others based on the word of God. If I'm speaking to a believer in Christ and He tells me that he went to a party the other night, me a girl and ended up sleeping with here, then I have already made a judgement based on God's word. And because he has told me this, I am to confront him with it, that is unless I am committing the same sin. In that case, Jesus said for me to get the board out of my own eye and then I can help my brother get the speck out of his. Consider what Paul had to say about believers judging within the church:

I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people--not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world. But now I am writing to you that you must not associate with anyone who claims to be a brother or sister c but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or slanderer, a drunkard or swindler. Do not even eat with such people.

What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? God will judge those outside. “Expel the wicked person from among you.”

First of ally, Paul tells us not to associate with sexually immoral people. How could we make that decision without making a judgment, i.e. coming to a conclusion of what they are doing based on the word of God?

Then he says, "What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside?"

Regarding what you said that we should not judge Mormon's i.e. come to the decision that they are not in Christ, would you say the same thing about Buddhists or Muslims? Muslims also believe in Jesus, but that He was only a prophet and not God in the flesh. Can we make the judgment that they are not in Christ?

When we judge, and we are supposed to, we don't make condemning judgments. An example that would be if someone told me they were living a same-sex lifestyle and I sit as judge and pass sentence upon them proclaiming their punishment. That is the kind of judgment that Jesus is saying that we should not do. And as I already mentioned, we should not be making judgments about what our brothers and sisters are doing, when we are doing the same things or worse.

My advice to you my friend, is that you ought to do a deeper study regarding these issues before you comment on them.

Micah 6:8 :)

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
In 1820, Joseph Smith Jr. claimed a heavenly vision that he said singled him out as the Lord’s anointed prophet for this dispensation, though it was not until 1823, with the appearance of the angel Moroni at the quaking Smith’s bedside, that Joe began his relationship to the fabulous "golden plates," or what was to become the Book of Mormon.

According to Smith’s account of this extraordinary revelation, which is recorded in the Pearl of Great Price (Joseph Smith—History, 1:29–54), the angel Moroni, the glorified son of one Mormon, the man for whom the famous book of the same name is entitled, appeared beside Joseph’s bedside and thrice repeated his commission to the allegedly awe-struck treasure-hunter. Smith did not write this account down until some years later, but even that fails to excuse the blunder he made in transmitting the angelic proclamation. This confusion appears in the 1851 edition of the Pearl of Great Price, wherein Joseph Smith identifies the messenger as Nephi, an entirely different character found in the Book of Mormon. This unfortunate crossing up of the divine communication system was later remedied by thoughtful Mormon scribes who have exercised great care to ferret out all the historical and factual blunders not readily explainable in the writings of Smith, Young, and other early Mormon writers. In current editions Moroni is identified as the night-time visitor. However, whether Nephi or Moroni carried the message to Smith apparently makes little difference to the faithful.

The nightmarish blunder of crediting the revelation of the Book of Mormon to Nephi instead of Moroni has never ceased to be a proverbial thorn in the side of Mormon historians. Try as they will, it is impossible to erase it from the hand-written manuscripts of the Mormon Church history, which was supervised by Joseph Smith during his life. A reproduction of the manuscript may be found in Jerald and Sandra Tanner’s Mormonism—Shadow or Reality (Salt Lake City: Utah Lighthouse Ministry, 1987, fifth edition), 136. Later, in 1842, these manuscripts formed the basis of the published history of Mormonism, again, overseen by Smith before his death, where Nephi appears as the revelatory angel, cf. Times and Seasons, vol. 3 (Nauvoo, Ill.: Times and Seasons), 753. The first edition of the Pearl of Great Price (1851), with the subtitle "Choice selections of revelations, translations, and narrations of Joseph Smith," contained the name Nephi because the unchallenged history of Mormonism had set such a foundation.

In 1827 Smith claimed to receive the golden plates upon which the Book of Mormon is alleged to have been written. Shortly after this historic find, unearthed in the hill Cumorah, near Palmyra, New York, Smith began to "translate" the "reformed Egyptian" 10 hieroglyphics, inscribed thereupon by means of the "Urim and Thummim," a type of miraculous spectacles, which the angel Moroni had the foresight to provide for the budding seer. The account of how Smith went about "translating" the plates and of the attendant difficulties with one Martin Harris, his wife, and Professor Charles Anthon, a noted scholar, will be dealt with more fully later in this chapter. However, the plot is obvious to anyone who is even basically informed concerning the real character of Joseph Smith; so we will continue with the prophet’s history.

During the period when Joseph was translating the plates (1827–1829), one Oliver Cowdery, an itinerant schoolteacher, visited Smith at the home of his father-in-law (who after some months, for the sake of his daughter, had received Joseph into his home), where he was duly "converted" to the prophet’s religion and soon after became one of several "scribes" who faithfully wrote down what Joseph said the plates read, in spite of the fact that he and Smith were separated by a curtain during the "translation." In the course of time, Smith and Cowdery became fast friends, and the progression of the "translation" and spiritual zeal allegedly attained such heights that on May 15, 1829, John the Baptist, in person, was speedily dispatched by Peter, James, and John to the humble state of Pennsylvania with orders to confer the "Aaronic Priesthood" on Joe and Oliver.

This amazing event is recorded in the Pearl of Great Price (Joseph Smith—History, 1:68–73), following which Oliver baptised Joe and vice versa; and they spent time blessing one another and prophesying future events "which should shortly come to pass." Smith was careful not to be too specific in recording these prophecies, because of the fact that more often than not Mormon prophecies did not come in on schedule, which no doubt accounted for Smith’s hesitancy in alluding to details.

From the now hallowed state of Pennsylvania, immortalised by Smith’s initiation into the priesthood of Aaron by John the Baptist, Joseph returned shortly to the home of Peter Whitmer in Fayette, New York, where he remained until the "translation" from the plates was completed and the Book of Mormon published and copyrighted in the year 1830. On April 6 of the same year, the prophet, in company with his brothers Hyrum and Samuel, Oliver Cowdery, and David and Peter Whitmer Jr., officially founded a "new religious society" entitled "The Church of Christ" (later to be named the Church of the Latter-day Saints [1834], and finally as the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1838). Thus it was that one of the more virulent strains of American cults came into existence—Mormonism had begun in earnest.
co Kingdom of the Cults, Walter Martin..
And there are no golden plates to be found.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
Look up "Kolob". Nothing more needs to be said....
Book of Abraham? Heiracy pure and simple. If I were to act out in the flesh. I'd gladly klober who ever convice me that they are on the level. Or even Christians.

AndyMaleh

Jun 26, 2020
Montreal, Quebec, Canada

"An example that would be if someone told me they were living a same-sex lifestyle and I sit as judge and pass sentence upon them proclaiming their punishment."

You're not supposed to just condemn anyone living a homosexual lifestyle, you're supposed to also pick up a stone and stone them to death too! Are you kidding me, that's already been decided by God! You'd only be passing on God's judgment, condemnation, and sentence in obedience to God as a result, not judging them yourself. Otherwise, our just God makes you pay for it because you've allowed creepy pervert rapists to roam the land and pervert/rape other people!

No matter what anyone thinks of Muslims, whether they do believe in Jesus or not, they're not supposed to live in America, Europe or any western country for that matter. I just know that for sure, thanks be to God.

Buddhists don't even believe in God, yet follow the deceptions of Satan in the false idea of enlightenment, which traps people for lifetimes attempting to reaching enlightenment to get rid of their life's troubles, which came from Satan in the first place. Their lives are very very sad. We are to protect our kin from Satan's false deceptions through them and their "fake meekness" for ulterior motives (chiefly false enlightenment). Christians are already all enlightened with the light of the world, Jesus Christ, and that's a basic right that they get right away upon baptism and confession of the faith, not a lifelong futile journey like that of sad ironically unenlightened Buddhists.

Godspeed.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Fortunately Christ came and made all things new leaving us with Love your God with all your heart, all you soul and all your mind, and love your neighbor as yourself". In these lie the whole of the law.

HillsboroMom

Jan 3, 2021
If someone has to line up 100% with the Bible in order to be Christian, then heaven is going to be empty.

If there is anyone here who is 100% in compliance with every jot and tittle written therein, let them cast the first stone.

That's what I thought.

I disagree with much of what Mormons teach. I disagree with much of what Roman Catholics teach. I disagree with much of what every church out there teaches. I have yet to meet anyone who interprets Scripture exactly the same way I do in every instance (although some come closer to others, obviously.)

Claiming that someone is not Christian simply because you disagree with them one one or another matter of (man-made) theology seems awfully shaky theological ground, if you ask me.

And before you say "it's not that they disagree with me, they disagree with the Bible," let me save you the trouble: They disagree with your interpretation of the Bible. Who are you to say that your interpretation of the Bible is better than their interpretation of the Bible? Men and women who devote their lives to studying scripture, who forsake all forms of earthly wealth and power to serve the Lord, come up with interpretations that you (or me) disagree with. I'm a friend of Jesus. We're on a first-name basis. But I'm not so high-and-mighty to say I'm the only one who knows the Truth, and everyone else is wrong, including all the other billions of people who are also on a first-name basis with him. I come to my understanding through humility and prayer. If I'm wrong, God will forgive me.

But if I condemn another person, say that they are not saved, and I'm wrong on that? I'm not sure that's a sin God will be so quick to forgive.

HillsboroMom

Jan 3, 2021
ooh, I dunno, some people love labels 😄
Labels are good and useful. When I'm at the grocery store, I rely on labels.

The problem comes when we judge the salvation of others based on those labels.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
If someone has to line up 100% with the Bible in order to be Christian, then heaven is going to be empty.

If there is anyone here who is 100% in compliance with every jot and tittle written therein, let them cast the first stone.

That's what I thought.

I disagree with much of what Mormons teach. I disagree with much of what Roman Catholics teach. I disagree with much of what every church out there teaches. I have yet to meet anyone who interprets Scripture exactly the same way I do in every instance (although some come closer to others, obviously.)

Claiming that someone is not Christian simply because you disagree with them one one or another matter of (man-made) theology seems awfully shaky theological ground, if you ask me.

And before you say "it's not that they disagree with me, they disagree with the Bible," let me save you the trouble: They disagree with your interpretation of the Bible. Who are you to say that your interpretation of the Bible is better than their interpretation of the Bible? Men and women who devote their lives to studying scripture, who forsake all forms of earthly wealth and power to serve the Lord, come up with interpretations that you (or me) disagree with. I'm a friend of Jesus. We're on a first-name basis. But I'm not so high-and-mighty to say I'm the only one who knows the Truth, and everyone else is wrong, including all the other billions of people who are also on a first-name basis with him. I come to my understanding through humility and prayer. If I'm wrong, God will forgive me.

But if I condemn another person, say that they are not saved, and I'm wrong on that? I'm not sure that's a sin God will be so quick to forgive.
Hello HillsboroMom,

While I agree that we should not condemn i.e. pass sentence upon anyone, we however are to make determinations between what is of the truth and what is false. Your post above does not work for Mormon's or JW's and others, who believe that Jesus is only a created being and not God in the flesh.

"Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God. For many false prophets have gone out into the world. By this you will know the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God."

We need to discern who is of God and who isn't, for there are many false teachers out in the world. And the only way that we can do that is to study and know the word of God. And it's not a matter of being 'high and mighty' as you put it, but discerning between the truth and false teachings. Below is what we are seeing the world on a major scale:

"For the time will come when men will not tolerate sound doctrine, but with itching ears they will gather around themselves teachers to suit their own desires. So they will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths."

Sound doctrine? According to you, we shouldn't be concerned about that and that we ought not discern between who is of God and who isn't. Paul says that the those who believe in the other teachings have turned away from the truth to myths. Therefore, any group or individual who is believing and teaching that Jesus is only a created being, is not believing in the true Lord and gospel and is therefore still in their sins.

Satan is the reason for all of these skewed versions of Christianity. And it's even more detailed than that. For example, there were two men during Paul's time (Hymenaeus and Philitus) who were teaching that the resurrection had already taken place. Paul called this godless chatter and that it would spread like gangrene and that because of their teaching, they had wandered away from the truth and were destroying the faith of some.

So yes, we are to know the word of God and to discern who is of Christ and who isn't. Therefore, the teachings of Mormon's and JW's does not line up with the word of God. Besides them not believing that Jesus is God in a human body, there are many other false teachings within their beliefs. For example, the motto of Mormon believe is that "As man is God once was. And as God is, man may become." They think that God started of as a man and became God and that they are going to do the same thing. This sounds familiar to where we read of Lucifer desiring to usurp God's power so that he could be like God or take God's place.

"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for instruction, for conviction, for correction, and for training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be complete, fully equipped for every good work."

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
You're not supposed to just condemn anyone living a homosexual lifestyle, you're supposed to also pick up a stone and stone them to death too! Are you kidding me, that's already been decided by God! You'd only be passing on God's judgment, condemnation, and sentence in obedience to God as a result, not judging them yourself. Otherwise, our just God makes you pay for it because you've allowed creepy pervert rapists to roam the land and pervert/rape other people!

Micah 6:8 :)