Are Mormons Christians?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

See_KING_Truth

Once again, the doctrine of Christ takes the opposing view. Jesus himself made and drank wine (John 2:1-11; Luke 7:33-34), and God makes and drinks wine (Psalm 104:14-15; Judges 9:13).

7 Go, eat your bread with joy, And drink your wine with a merry heart; For God has already accepted your works. (Ecclesiastes 9:7)

The wine commonly referred to in the Bible was an unfermented wine. A drink usually made from pressing grapes, which has no intoxicating effect. It is pretty obvious in the origioinal greek and hebrew texts.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2011
The wine commonly referred to in the Bible was an unfermented wine. A drink usually made from pressing grapes, which has no intoxicating effect. It is pretty obvious in the origioinal greek and hebrew texts.
Wrong.

18 And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation; but be filled with the Spirit, (Ephesians 5:18)

This verse tells us that a person can "be drunk with wine."

As far as the Old Testament goes, the same thing applies. One example is,

21 Then he drank of the wine and was drunk, and became uncovered in his tent. (Genesis 9:21)

Scripture says that Jesus "has come eating and drinking" wine.

33 For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine, and you say, 'He has a demon.' 34 The Son of Man has come eating and drinking, and you say, 'Look, a glutton and a winebibber, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!' (Luke 7:33-34)

A

AnandaHya

A mormon friend of mine told me he's a christian. It struck me as odd for him to claim that. I have my own convictions of the matter.

What's yours? What makes a person "christian"? Many people claim to be "christian" nowadays, I'd like to know what your input is on who is actually who.
i wonder the same thing. I had someone close to me who tells me they are Christian but they believe there are other paths to God they just chose this one because they are used to the ritual and beliefs but they think any one who is moral and good will be in Heaven. They don't think that Jesus is the ONLY WAY and since they are two generations older then me I don't know what to say to them. However when one of them gave my kids a book that said that Brahma created animals and gave them tails (she was going for a cultural folktale from my mother's country, but my mother told me it was a tourist gimmick and the story was Thai and not Cambodian), it troubled my soul. I don't plan on reading them that book. However she says she's Christian and doesn't see this as a conflict of interest.

What does it really mean to be Christian?

I haven't read everyone's responses but will after the kids go to bed.

I just pray that God lead and guide us to HIS path and Truth.

A

AnandaHya

Mormons teach a false doctrine of eternal progression. The Mormon doctrine of eternal progression teaches that God the Father was once a man, who progressed to Godhood through obedience to certain laws and ordinances. Part of this obedience involved getting married to a woman ("The Heavenly Mother"), who gives birth to God’s spirit children, who are sent to earth to inhabit bodies of flesh and bone. These spirit children, if they are Mormons, remain obedient to the laws of the Mormon Church, and are married in the Mormon temple, have the potential to become gods themselves. They will produce spirit children and rule their own planet. This process is then repeated.
Don't know much about Mormons but the doctrine of eternal progression sounds like the Buddhist eight fold path towards enlightenment, just different words and terminology. In Hinduism it is called Jnana yoga.

Interesting that Lucifer doesn't change too much, just language and people according to their culture.

Jnana Yoga: The path of Knowledge

A Basic Buddhism Guide: 5 Minute Introduction

Satan mixes lies with truth to get more people to swallow the pill. The Bible divides the truth from the lies.

Isaiah 44:24-26 (New King James Version)

Judah Will Be Restored

24 Thus says the LORD, your Redeemer,
And He who formed you from the womb:

“ I am the LORD, who makes all things,
Who stretches out the heavens all alone,
Who spreads abroad the earth by Myself;
25 Who frustrates the signs of the babblers,
And drives diviners mad;
Who turns wise men backward,
And makes their knowledge foolishness;

26 Who confirms the word of His servant,
And performs the counsel of His messengers;

A

AnandaHya

lol Yea I could see them trying their methods when talking to the group (a group of TEN of us ministry students) but the constant questions from the group destroyed their efforts of fluidity. And it ended quickly with still no fluidity. But the day after, it was just them, and my very educated friend and I. We had a great time and we were able to break their fluidity attempts again. They were not very experienced either. One was 19 and the other 20. We made it kinda hard for them to follow their training lol
I hope you guys remain friends and have them challenge what the Mormon church is teaching with the HOLY Word's of God :) If they are not fully brainwashed by their elders they may break free of that delusion. They say they don't care as long as people are saved and come to Jesus which means they are open to understanding that John Smith and others in the Mormon church are lying about who Jesus really is. If they love Jesus and Truth more then doctrine and what the Mormon's teach then God will lead them on His path for them in their lives. :) I'm glad you and your friends are rooted enough in the Bible to break past the lies they are being taught. :)

S

See_KING_Truth

Wrong.

18 And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation; but be filled with the Spirit, (Ephesians 5:18)

This verse tells us that a person can "be drunk with wine."

As far as the Old Testament goes, the same thing applies. One example is,

21 Then he drank of the wine and was drunk, and became uncovered in his tent. (Genesis 9:21)

Scripture says that Jesus "has come eating and drinking" wine.

33 For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine, and you say, 'He has a demon.' 34 The Son of Man has come eating and drinking, and you say, 'Look, a glutton and a winebibber, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!' (Luke 7:33-34)
Obviously you haven't done any research of the hebrew and greek manuscripts...there are over 10 different words that were translatted to the english word wine. You aren't going to change my mind.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2011
Obviously you haven't done any research of the hebrew and greek manuscripts...there are over 10 different words that were translatted to the english word wine.
Wrong again.

In the Greek, the most common word for wine is oinos, used 28 times, which is defined as wine (not grape juice). Oinos is used in Ephesians 5:18,

The word used in Luke 7:33-34 is, once again, oinos,

When Jesus turned the water into wine, the word used is, not surprisingly, oinos,

9 When the master of the feast had tasted the water that was made wine, and did not know where it came from (but the servants who had drawn the water knew), the master of the feast called the bridegroom. 10 And he said to him, "Every man at the beginning sets out the good wine, and when the guests have well drunk, then the inferior. You have kept the good wine until now!" (John 2:9-10)

Luke 1:15 tells us that John the Baptist drank neither wine nor strong drink, once again using oinos. Oinos is used in conjunction with strong drink, and so is obviously a reference to actual wine.

15 For he will be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink. He will also be filled with the Holy Spirit, even from his mother's womb. (Luke 1:15)

In 1 Timothy 5:23, Paul tells Timothy to drink a little wine for his stomach, and yet again the word is oinos,

23 No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach's sake and your frequent infirmities. (1 Timothy 5:23)

Oinos is also used in Matthew 9:17; 27:34; Mark 2:22; 15:23; 5:37-38; 7:33; 10:34; John 4:46; Romans 14:21; 1 Timothy 3:8; Titus 2:3; and Revelation 6:6; 14:8, 10; 16:19; 17:2; 18:3, 13; 19:15. There is nothing peculiar about this word. It means "wine."

After oinos, not much is left in the Greek New Testament for the term "wine." The Greek word for "sour wine" is oxos (used 5 times) and is found in Matthew 27:48; Mark 15:36; Luke 23:36; and John 19:29 & 30.

The Greek word translated "new wine" in Acts 2:13 is gleukos, and is only used here. Other than this, there are no other references to or words used for wine.

Obviously, you haven't done any research into the Greek or Hebrew. I've done plenty, and have available in addition to what is here all of the information on its Hebrew usage.

You aren't going to change my mind.
Then apparently your screen name's word-play on "seeking truth" is just a deception. But it's no concern of mine whether you change your mind or not. I'm simply presenting the truth of the gospel. Whether you accept or reject it is up to you.

3 If anyone teaches otherwise and does not consent to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which accords with godliness, 4 he is proud, knowing nothing, but is obsessed with disputes and arguments over words, from which come envy, strife, reviling, evil suspicions, 5 useless wranglings of men of corrupt minds and destitute of the truth, who suppose that godliness is a means of gain. From such withdraw yourself. (1 Timothy 6:3-5)

S

See_KING_Truth

Oinos is a generic term which is used to describe all types of wine except shekar- "strong drink"

Jan 18, 2011
Oinos is a generic term which is used to describe all types of wine except shekar- "strong drink"
Strong drink isn't wine. Grape juice isn't wine. Wine is wine.

Good luck getting drunk on grape juice.

There is a Greek word for grape juice. This isn't it.

Either you believe the Bible or you don't.

S

See_KING_Truth

Grape juice is referred to as wine 41 times, freshly pressed grape juice in its natural condition, and is not used as fermented wine.

Jan 18, 2011
Grape juice is referred to as wine 41 times, freshly pressed grape juice in its natural condition, and is not used as fermented wine.
No, it's not. Where are your examples? (There are none.) There is a Greek word for grape juice, and it is not the word that is used. The word that is used, oinos, is defined as wine.