Are Roman Catholics Christians

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Johnny_B

Mar 18, 2017
Can a person be a devout Roman Catholic and be a faithful follower of Christ at the same time.

Most of my family, and relatives are Roman Catholics. They all claim to be Christians as well but they reject much of the Gospel. They only accept the parts where God showed His love to the world by sending His Son to be crucified to atone for the sins of the whole world.

They don't believe in being born again and giving your life to the Lord, they believe Mary is the mediator and Jesus provided the sacrifice for salvation.

Some have said that a Roman Catholic cannot be a christian so they're not saved. I find that hard to accept, of the 1.5 billion I'm sure that many will be saved but how can we identify the ones that are worth our time to witness to.

I have invested a lot of my time sharing the Gospel with them and I have seen no fruit at all. Where do I draw the line and say, enough of casting pearls before the swine.
They cannot see the kingdom of God unless they are born again or the Spirit gives them life, no one can come to Jesus unless the Father grants it.

John 3:3 Jesus answered him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.”

John 6:63, 65 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh is no help at all. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life. ...65 And he said, “This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless it is granted him by the Father.”

So unless the Father grants that a person is given life by the Spirit they will never come to Jesus and you will never know who that is, we are only commanded to preach the Gospel not to find out who the Father is calling and preach to the. Jesus said that the elect cannot be decieved, they may be decieved for a time but before they die they will come to the truth.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
I only speak for myself now Mark. I recognized the falsehood before I learned the truth and the conversion was not overnight., I suppose I was pre-selected to hunger and thirst for the Lord. He put christans in my path and made bibles available to me to grow and watered me with christian music and after a few years I became strong in love and understanding for the Lord and his word, with a kinder heart.

I pity catholics because I was one who rebelled against their establishment and later came to know the truth

shrume

Jun 26, 2017
OK, I guess nobody can stop you from believing lies but you do at your own peril
It is not a lie that people who believe on the Lord Jesus Christ shall be saved, no matter what denomination they come from.

MarkWilliams

Jun 13, 2018
I only speak for myself now Mark. I recognized the falsehood before I learned the truth and the conversion was not overnight., I suppose I was pre-selected to hunger and thirst for the Lord. He put christans in my path and made bibles available to me to grow and watered me with christian music and after a few years I became strong in love and understanding for the Lord and his word, with a kinder heart.

I pity catholics because I was one who rebelled against their establishment and later came to know the truth
We all have different experiences, for some conversion is sudden and radical while for others like yourself it was gradual. The main thing is that we believe it was all the work of the Lord, so we harbor any pride in our hearts.
Humility is one of the big signs to look for in people who claim to be Christian. My Catholic relatives and friends are proud to be in the No. 1 Church, they look down on all the other Churches and see us as being deceived

MarkWilliams

Jun 13, 2018
It is not a lie that people who believe on the Lord Jesus Christ shall be saved, no matter what denomination they come from.
If a person believes in Christ, he would follow all of His teaching and commands. Jesus would not want His followers to remain in works based Churches, they are an abomination to Him. So His followers would come out as soon as they are converted

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
Yes I have experienced that too, they called me names even argued with me for obeying the bible instead of the pope, sad!

shrume

Jun 26, 2017
If a person believes in Christ, he would follow all of His teaching and commands. Jesus would not want His followers to remain in works based Churches, they are an abomination to Him. So His followers would come out as soon as they are converted
So tell me, Mark... What denominations are acceptable to God?

Lemme guess... Yours?

Any others? Or just yours alone?

MarkWilliams

Jun 13, 2018
Yes I have experienced that too, they called me names even argued with me for obeying the bible instead of the pope, sad!
I have no problem accepting criticism from Catholics, but it's shocking to see how many so called "Christians" defend the Catholic Church. They are either willfully ignorant or they haven't read their Bible.
We must be in the very last days, because we are witnessing the spiritual fornication spoken abut in the book of revelation. The Pope has called all the religions of the world to join in a spiritual orgy. Even some evangelicals have taken the bait, they are trying to deceive the very elect if possible.

MarkWilliams

Jun 13, 2018
So tell me, Mark... What denominations are acceptable to God?

Lemme guess... Yours?

Any others? Or just yours alone?
Any denomination that preaches the Bible faithfully and doesn't add or take away anything, it must preach the whole counsel of God and not pick out some parts and leave others out. One that confesses salvation is by the grace of God through faith alone and not by any works .

shrume

Jun 26, 2017
I have no problem accepting criticism from Catholics, but it's shocking to see how many so called "Christians" defend the Catholic Church.
Don't misunderstand me... I am not defending the Catholic Church. There is PLENTY wrong with it, and many of the things they believe.

But I will defend Christians who happen to consider themselves Catholic. There are many Catholics who have given their lives to Jesus Christ, and are relying on him for salvation.

You can't throw everyone under the bus just because they're members of the wrong denomination.

shrume

Jun 26, 2017
Any denomination that preaches the Bible faithfully and doesn't add or take away anything, it must preach the whole counsel of God and not pick out some parts and leave others out. One that confesses salvation is by the grace of God through faith alone and not by any works .
Which ones are they, Mark?

MarkWilliams

Jun 13, 2018
Don't misunderstand me... I am not defending the Catholic Church. There is PLENTY wrong with it, and many of the things they believe.

But I will defend Christians who happen to consider themselves Catholic. There are many Catholics who have given their lives to Jesus Christ, and are relying on him for salvation.

You can't throw everyone under the bus just because they're members of the wrong denomination.
I'm sure there are Christians still in the Catholic Church who haven't yet come to realize the truth about it. But as soon as they do, they will get out very quickly. You can't serve two masters

Jun 19, 2018
United States
Can a person be a devout Roman Catholic and be a faithful follower of Christ at the same time.

Most of my family, and relatives are Roman Catholics. They all claim to be Christians as well but they reject much of the Gospel. They only accept the parts where God showed His love to the world by sending His Son to be crucified to atone for the sins of the whole world.

They don't believe in being born again and giving your life to the Lord, they believe Mary is the mediator and Jesus provided the sacrifice for salvation.

Some have said that a Roman Catholic cannot be a christian so they're not saved. I find that hard to accept, of the 1.5 billion I'm sure that many will be saved but how can we identify the ones that are worth our time to witness to.

I have invested a lot of my time sharing the Gospel with them and I have seen no fruit at all. Where do I draw the line and say, enough of casting pearls before the swine.
All churches have many foibles in either their beliefs or else their practices. No brand-name church follows the bible anyway. People follow traditions. Just because we don't all share the same errors doesn't mean we can judge others for it. If we judge...we will also be judged...because we are really not that different.
MarkWilliams, the bible tells us "many are called but few are chosen.." Continue prayers and asking God for Windom and discernment for reaching those he has chosen...God Bless!

shrume

Jun 26, 2017
I'm sure there are Christians still in the Catholic Church who haven't yet come to realize the truth about it. But as soon as they do, they will get out very quickly. You can't serve two masters
What if they don't realize the truth about it? Are they doomed? Or will they be saved?

I believe they'll be saved.

MarkWilliams

Jun 13, 2018
What if they don't realize the truth about it? Are they doomed? Or will they be saved?

That's a good question, I don't see how a person can continue to be deceived after the Holy Spirit illuminates them with the truth. The truth sets the believer free so he's no longer enslaved to a false religious system.
I still believe God is sovereign over all things and He has a plan in place to save all of His elect, no matter where they are or how deceived they currently are.

shrume

Jun 26, 2017
That's a good question, I don't see how a person can continue to be deceived after the Holy Spirit illuminates them with the truth.
Well.... You still believe Calvinism is true......

G'nite, Mark.

MarkWilliams

Jun 13, 2018
God will
God will save all of His elect, no matter where they currently are or how deceived they currently are. He has a plan to save them and nothing can stop God from achieving His will.
I believe that all of the true believers in the Catholic Church will at some point see the truth abut it and they will come out. But even if they die before that, God is still sovereign and He will save them

MarkWilliams

Jun 13, 2018
Well.... You still believe Calvinism is true......

G'nite, Mark.
This is Calvinism at it's finest, God saves His Elect no matter what the obstacles are. That's exactly what Calvin taught, wheres your problem with it I don't see

Jun 19, 2018
United States
MarkWilliams, the bible tells us "many are called but few are chosen.." Mathew 22:14
Continue praying and asking God for Windom and discernment for reaching those he has chosen...God Bless!