Are Smartphones Destroying a Generation?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Sep 28, 2017
I do find technology is really messing up youth today. Social media honestly is a huge waste of time and shows that you need everyones approval in life. I honestly hate the internet period. Even when you try to avoid bad things, then comes some disgusting ad pop up on the side. It's easy to bully others online regardless of their age. I find the worst mistake girls make is put pictures of themselves online and asking for ratings. I put a picture of myself online and one evil,sick,cruel, and coldhearted guy had to say I look like a man and call me all kinds of names and told me to get the (you know) out and then he tells me he does not care if I killed myself. I was confused,angry, and hurt. I can forgive, but his evil cruelness stick with me. I also put some more photos of myself online and trolls made all kinds of comments about me being a black woman and how they wouldnt never date them. The internet is just another opportunity for the enemy spiritually attack Christians no matter what age. Whether it's something thats immoral or bad. No one ever wants to have a conversation, everyone looks at their phone and never make eye contact. The internet is very addicting too and I honestly really regret with all my heart buying a phone or gadget period. I wish I never had used any iPod or phone or laptop. The internet has honestly cause me nothing, grief,anger,torment,stumbling, and just every bad thing. I saw things I wasnt supposed to see and experience things I didnt want to experience. I was cyberbullied a lot throughout life and as the world gets worse, the internet gets much worse. I used to get such loving comments on yahoo answers and noe I ask a question and it's either a racist troll or someone commenting something like lol as if me being in distress is a lovely sadist fetish for them. Technology period has made everyone lazy and fat. No one is going outside anymore and kids are getting fatter.

CherieR

May 6, 2017
I do find technology is really messing up youth today. Social media honestly is a huge waste of time and shows that you need everyones approval in life. I honestly hate the internet period. Even when you try to avoid bad things, then comes some disgusting ad pop up on the side. It's easy to bully others online regardless of their age. I find the worst mistake girls make is put pictures of themselves online and asking for ratings. I put a picture of myself online and one evil,sick,cruel, and coldhearted guy had to say I look like a man and call me all kinds of names and told me to get the (you know) out and then he tells me he does not care if I killed myself. I was confused,angry, and hurt. I can forgive, but his evil cruelness stick with me. I also put some more photos of myself online and trolls made all kinds of comments about me being a black woman and how they wouldnt never date them. The internet is just another opportunity for the enemy spiritually attack Christians no matter what age. Whether it's something thats immoral or bad. No one ever wants to have a conversation, everyone looks at their phone and never make eye contact. The internet is very addicting too and I honestly really regret with all my heart buying a phone or gadget period. I wish I never had used any iPod or phone or laptop. The internet has honestly cause me nothing, grief,anger,torment,stumbling, and just every bad thing. I saw things I wasnt supposed to see and experience things I didnt want to experience. I was cyberbullied a lot throughout life and as the world gets worse, the internet gets much worse. I used to get such loving comments on yahoo answers and noe I ask a question and it's either a racist troll or someone commenting something like lol as if me being in distress is a lovely sadist fetish for them. Technology period has made everyone lazy and fat. No one is going outside anymore and kids are getting fatter.
Yahoo answers is not a website I would recommend to receive encouragement or support. Some people can be so cruel there and others nice. You never know who you are talking to online and you need to be careful. Don't allow yourself to be bullied online. There are many sex predators out there along with people who are cruel and don't care about anyone. It is good to stay away from public chat as a general rule. If anyone asks you for your A/S/L( stands for age, sex/gender, and location. I got that question many times), don't talk to them. There are many people who lie about that anyway. And never give anyone your address. It does not matter how nice they appear. They may be wolves in sheep clothing. Appearing to be nice, but in reality, dangerous.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
At least we can all blame smartphones now. That's a big improvement over past generations.

Back in the days BS (Before Smartphones) there were a lot of different distractions. Some guys got WAY too into cars, some guys got WAY too into trying to make a music band, some guys got WAY too into computers, some girls got WAY too into gossip and keeping track of what everybody around them did wrong, some girls got WAY too into soap operas... We had to point our fingers at WAY too many things if we wanted to put blame on them for destroying our society. Frankly it was WAY too hard to drum up any real antagonism against so many targets.

But today everybody uses the same distraction, so we can easily point out the one obvious thing that must be the cause of so many people deliberately ignoring the reality around them - SMARTPHONES! It's so much easier to get people to agree with us that smartphones are destroying our society because now we have a single target. :cool:

G

Gracie_14

Yahoo answers is not a website I would recommend to receive encouragement or support. Some people can be so cruel there and others nice. You never know who you are talking to online and you need to be careful. Don't allow yourself to be bullied online. There are many sex predators out there along with people who are cruel and don't care about anyone. It is good to stay away from public chat as a general rule. If anyone asks you for your A/S/L( stands for age, sex/gender, and location. I got that question many times), don't talk to them. There are many people who lie about that anyway. And never give anyone your address. It does not matter how nice they appear. They may be wolves in sheep clothing. Appearing to be nice, but in reality, dangerous.
Yeah, i have always been asked my asl even on christian chat sites. i fell in so many traps when real sex predators did ask for my asl. i had no idea it was more than just a curious set of questions. never again will i tell a man what my asl is online. i learnt my lesson the hard way. especcialy me being a teenager, older guys are interested in younger girls like me so i know i have to be careful online. man, does social media drive me crazy!

Sep 11, 2017
Technology is useful as well as evil, it just depends in the hands of the user.