Are the Gospels written specifically to Jews only?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 28, 2016
Exactly, that’s why it was not the same message. Gospel simply means glad tidings. The word gospel isn’t always used as a reference to eternal salvation. That’s where people are mistaken. There is only one gospel unto eternal salvation and the Apostle Paul explains it simply in 1 Corinthians 15:3-4.

The gospel, or glad tidings of the kingdom has to do with God’s promise of an earthly kingdom with the Jewish Messiah on the throne. It is a deleverance of Israel from their enemies.

Luke1
68 Blessed be the Lord God of Israel; for he hath visited and redeemed his people,
69 And hath raised up an horn of salvation for us in the house of his servant David;
70 As he spake by the mouth of his holy prophets, which have been since the world began:
71 That we should be saved from our enemies, and from the hand of all that hate us;
72 To perform the mercy promised to our fathers, and to remember his holy covenant;
73 The oath which he sware to our father Abraham,
74 That he would grant unto us, that we being delivered out of the hand of our enemies might serve him without fear,
75 In holiness and righteousness before him, all the days of our life.

The idea of saved from enemies has to do with being saved from the spirit of lies, the enemy of all the nations. Not flesh against flesh. Judgement starts in the unseen holy places, the churches . A man is his own enemy when it come to flesh against the spirit. In that way we saved from our enemies, that Christ then might perform the mercy promised to us.

Proverbs 29:24-26 Easy-to-Read Version (ERV) You are your own worst enemy if you take part in a crime. You will not be able to tell the truth even when people threaten you. Fear can be a trap, but if you trust in the Lord, you will be safe. Many people want the friendship of a ruler, but the Lord is the only one who judges people fairly.

The gospel has nothing to do with the flesh of any nation. Jesus says of his own flesh it profits for nothing And when called good master in respect to His flesh he said; only God as the father not seen is good. preserving the holy place of faith in respect to the coming glory Jesus was used as a representative glory . .that glory will not be revealed on this corrupted creation. It will go up in smoke along with the second death on the last day.

We walk by faith not after flesh and blood but after our Spirit father of spirits in heaven who gives new birth to our corrupted spirits.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
The idea of saved from enemies has to do with being saved from the spirit of lies, the enemy of all the nations. Not flesh against flesh. Judgement starts in the unseen holy places, the churches . A man is his own enemy when it come to flesh against the spirit. In that way we saved from our enemies, that Christ then might perform the mercy promised to us.

Proverbs 29:24-26 Easy-to-Read Version (ERV) You are your own worst enemy if you take part in a crime. You will not be able to tell the truth even when people threaten you. Fear can be a trap, but if you trust in the Lord, you will be safe. Many people want the friendship of a ruler, but the Lord is the only one who judges people fairly.

The gospel has nothing to do with the flesh of any nation. Jesus says of his own flesh it profits for nothing And when called good master in respect to His flesh he said; only God as the father not seen is good. preserving the holy place of faith in respect to the coming glory Jesus was used as a representative glory . .that glory will not be revealed on this corrupted creation. It will go up in smoke along with the second death on the last day.

We walk by faith not after flesh and blood but after our Spirit father of spirits in heaven who gives new birth to our corrupted spirits.
Sorry, I disagree. I think you’re explaining away the clear text. The kingdom message was to the Jews only and it included a physical earthly kingdom, where the violent take th it by force.

Mar 28, 2016
Sorry, I disagree. I think you’re explaining away the clear text. The kingdom message was to the Jews only and it included a physical earthly kingdom, where the violent take th it by force.
Why the Jew only? God is not a man as us. What's the difference between their flesh and the flesh of a gentile? color? size?

If it included a physical earthly kingdom. And it was not the Holy Spirit that took it by violence Then who spoke by the mouth of his holy prophets, since the world began: That we should be saved from our enemies if not the unseen spirit of truth and from the hand or will of all that hate us seeing it seems you are saying we do wrestles against the flesh and blood of nations as if the flesh of any nation had something to do with salvation. ?

Outward Jewish flesh against inward born of the Spirit of Christ Jew ? Jews against Gentile flesh.? Gentile against Jew? Flesh against flesh ? The Spirit of God against all flesh and blood?

Ephesians 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
as if the flesh of any nation had something to do with salvation. ?
My discussion is not about eternal salvation, but a promised kingdom on earth. There will be many dwelling in this kingdom who are not saved eternally.

The Ephesians passage is to the NT Church made up of Jews and mostly Gentiles. This is the spiritual children of God.

Feb 28, 2016
God is sovereign, He doesn't really give us a reason why He chooses what He chooses -
Judah was the tribe that He chose, he owes us no explanation for what He does...

Churinga

Nov 12, 2018
The kingdom message as you stated is for the Jews only and their rejection opened the door to the Gentiles but that seems to be something that some people cannot understand.

Jan 12, 2019
Paul said " we preach Jesus and him crucified"
The good news is a person not a segment from the latest pauline only teaching.
Jesus is the good news.

Please do show me where Jesus,or the non pauline books preached a different Jesus.
Show me when you calm down.
Didn't I already provided an example from scripture? Both Gospels are about Jesus, but one is about him as the promised King to the Jews, and they have to repent and accept him as their King. This Gospel is not for the Gentiles.

Luke 9:6 6 And they departed, and went through the towns, preaching the gospel, and healing every where.

What gospel do you think they were preaching here?

PS I said "calm down" in response when you use the term "pure baloney"

Jan 12, 2019
At the time the disciples preached it, that was the entirety of the Gospel and they preached it.

The Death, Burial and Resurrection of Christ hadn't happened yet. But when it did it was explained and expounded by Paul.

They are not 2 different gospels. They are one complete gospel.
If they are indeed one complete gospel, when you come across this verse from Matthew, how would you interpret this?

Matthew 24:14 King James Version (KJV)

14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

Jan 12, 2019
Why the Jew only? God is not a man as us. What's the difference between their flesh and the flesh of a gentile? color? size?
Because of the covenant God made with their forefathers, Abraham Issac and Jacob. Think of the 4 Gospels as the "conclusion of the Old Testament", rather than the introduction of the NT, with Acts being a transitional book.

When Paul reflected on Jesus’s ministry on Earth, he stated in Romans 15 (KJV)

8 Now I say that Jesus Christ was a minister of the circumcision for the truth of God, to confirm the promises made unto the fathers:

Later on, he elaborated, on Romans 9-11, how we Gentiles are beneficiaries of the Jews rejecting that Gospel of the Kingdom, which was only meant for them.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
If they are indeed one complete gospel, when you come across this verse from Matthew, how would you interpret this?

Matthew 24:14 King James Version (KJV)

14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.
The Lord Jesus is talking about end times in Matthew 24

He states that the Gospel of the Kingdom shall be preached in all the world and then the end shall come.

I don't see how this one verse changes the fact that the beginning of the gospel was in M,M,L and J and then explained and expounded by Paul.

Do you think the end that the Lord was talking about was His Death on the Cross? I don't get that from the text. I think the end the Lord Jesus was talking about was the end of the world.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
The kingdom message as you stated is for the Jews only and their rejection opened the door to the Gentiles but that seems to be something that some people cannot understand.
Its kind of weird that the King of the Kingdom is rejected by the Jews whom you state the message is for them only.

God must have been really upset when His Plan for the Jews failed and He had to come up with plan B and accept the poor, dirty gentiles into His Kingdom.

I hope that His second plan doesn't fail too.

Don't you think that it is a little ironic that the Jews expected a physical Kingdom on Earth when the Messiah came, and the Messiah DID come but He established a Spiritual Kingdom and not a Physical kingdom.

And now you preach a physical Kingdom on Earth for the Jews promised by God just like the Jews Mistakenly Thought.

Maybe a tad bit ironic?

Jul 23, 2018
There are jews saved today from reading the nt.
They are not in some different gospel
That entire 2 gospel message is baloney

Jul 23, 2018
Its kind of weird that the King of the Kingdom is rejected by the Jews whom you state the message is for them only.

God must have been really upset when His Plan for the Jews failed and He had to come up with plan B and accept the poor, dirty gentiles into His Kingdom.

Don't you think that it is a little ironic that the Jews expected a physical Kingdom on Earth when the Messiah came, and the Messiah DID come but He established a Spiritual Kingdom and not a Physical kingdom.

And now you preach a physical Kingdom on Earth for the Jews promised by God just like the Jews Mistakenly Thought.

Maybe a tad bit ironic?
Yes and considering that peter had the revelation of the gentiles grafted in,and not a hint of "plan b" is proof He died for mankind and not just for jews with a reluctant remorse for the gentiles.

Mar 28, 2016
Because of the covenant God made with their forefathers, Abraham Issac and Jacob. Think of the 4 Gospels as the "conclusion of the Old Testament", rather than the introduction of the NT, with Acts being a transitional book.

When Paul reflected on Jesus’s ministry on Earth, he stated in Romans 15 (KJV)

8 Now I say that Jesus Christ was a minister of the circumcision for the truth of God, to confirm the promises made unto the fathers:

Later on, he elaborated, on Romans 9-11, how we Gentiles are beneficiaries of the Jews rejecting that Gospel of the Kingdom, which was only meant for them.
I see that a little differently.

The covenant was not with their corrupted flesh. It depended on the work of the Spirit of God he poured it out on all flesh .It is seed as in one the spiritual seed of Christ . Not seeds many pertaining to the flesh of a Jew.

Gentiles are beneficiaries of Christ pouring out his Spirit on corrupted flesh typified as sinful as prophesied in Joel . They like the born again Jews are waiting as a living hope to receive the promise of their new incorruptible bodies, as the wife of Christ, the church.

Jesus in John 6 informs us his flesh profits for nothing. It is the work of the Spirit that quickens our souls giving us eternal spirit life his living word is Spirit and is spirit life giving. .

Romans 8:3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:

Churinga

Nov 12, 2018

Maybe a tad bit ironic?
If you believe that the Kingdom is a Spiritual Kingdom you are expressing a view held by many others and to engage such a view is an exercise in futility and getting way of the initial question.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
The Kingdom of God is an invisible and spiritual Kingdom only between the first and second comings of Christ -- the Church Age.

Once the full complement of the Gentiles is within the Church, the Church will be Raptured, and then, after the Second Coming of Christ, God will resume His dealings with the Jews and with Israel. Eventually a real, visible, physical and spiritual Kingdom of God will be established on earth with Christ as King over Israel, and King of kings and Lord of lords over the whole earth.

Please take some time to study all the prophecies relating to this.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
If you believe that the Kingdom is a Spiritual Kingdom you are expressing a view held by many others and to engage such a view is an exercise in futility and getting way of the initial question.
The exercise in futility, if we held to your view, would be God Himself coming down to die for Jews who would reject Him.

But, if God attained His Objective, which He always does because He's God, then He has established His Kingdom and it is a Spiritual Kingdom.

If His Objective were to set up a physical Kingdom for the Jews why would He have to come down 2x to do it? Seems kind of monotonous.

Maybe you, and the others who think along your same line of thought, have made a mistake, JUST LIKE THE JEWS BEFORE YOU, reading the same bible with the same prophecies.

Do you think its possible?

Jan 12, 2019

Maybe a tad bit ironic?
None of us are Jews so we were not brought up studying the Torah and Prophets. But to the Jews, they are familiar with passages like these, which had the promises of that Earthly Kingdom based in Jerusalem

Zechariah 8 explains
3 “Thus says the Lord: ‘I will return to Zion, And dwell in the midst of Jerusalem. Jerusalem shall be called the City of Truth, The Mountain of the Lord of hosts, The Holy Mountain.’

Later on, in the chapter in Zechariah 8:20-23 New Living Translation (NLT)
20 “This is what the Lord of Heaven’s Armies says: People from nations and cities around the world will travel to Jerusalem. 21 The people of one city will say to the people of another, ‘Come with us to Jerusalem to ask the Lord to bless us. Let’s worship the Lord of Heaven’s Armies. I’m determined to go.’ 22 Many peoples and powerful nations will come to Jerusalem to seek the Lord of Heaven’s Armies and to ask for his blessing. 23 “This is what the Lord of Heaven’s Armies says: In those days ten men from different nations and languages of the world will clutch at the sleeve of one Jew. And they will say, ‘Please let us walk with you, for we have heard that God is with you.’”

A similar prophecy was given in Micah Chapter 4 (NLT)
In the last days, the mountain of the Lord’s house will be the highest of all—the most important place on earth. It will be raised above the other hills, and people from all over the world will stream there to worship.
2 People from many nations will come and say, “Come, let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, to the house of Jacob’s God. There he will teach us his ways, and we will walk in his paths.” For the Lord’s teaching will go out from Zion; his word will go out from Jerusalem.

Finally, the same prophecy was given in the book of Isaiah chapter 2:2
In the last days, the mountain of the Lord’s house will be the highest of all—the most important place on earth. It will be raised above the other hills, and people from all over the world will stream there to worship.

So, based on these 3 accounts, the timeline was supposed to be Jews are to be saved first, once they accept Jesus has the Messiah, then the Kingdom will be established in Jerusalem and the Jews will then be priests spreading that blessings to all the Gentiles.

Finally, when Jesus was on Earth, he also said this to the Samaritan woman John 4:22 New Living Translation (NLT)
22 You Samaritans know very little about the one you worship, while we Jews know all about him, for salvation comes through the Jews.

According to Old Testament prophecy, no plan existed for Gentiles to be blessed universally apart from the Jews accepting their Messiah. The Jews could have chosen not to reject Jesus as their Messiah, they could have chosen to say, "Blessed is the one that comes in the name of the Lord". If they did, then Jesus would have come again and they would have been spared from many agonies, especially the Holocaust.

If they did that, then all of us Gentiles would have been blessed thru the Jews, as foretold by Zechariah.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
None of us are Jews so we were not brought up studying the Torah and Prophets. But to the Jews, they are familiar with passages like these, which had the promises of that Earthly Kingdom based in Jerusalem

Zechariah 8 explains
3 “Thus says the Lord: ‘I will return to Zion, And dwell in the midst of Jerusalem. Jerusalem shall be called the City of Truth, The Mountain of the Lord of hosts, The Holy Mountain.’

Later on, in the chapter in Zechariah 8:20-23 New Living Translation (NLT)
20 “This is what the Lord of Heaven’s Armies says: People from nations and cities around the world will travel to Jerusalem. 21 The people of one city will say to the people of another, ‘Come with us to Jerusalem to ask the Lord to bless us. Let’s worship the Lord of Heaven’s Armies. I’m determined to go.’ 22 Many peoples and powerful nations will come to Jerusalem to seek the Lord of Heaven’s Armies and to ask for his blessing. 23 “This is what the Lord of Heaven’s Armies says: In those days ten men from different nations and languages of the world will clutch at the sleeve of one Jew. And they will say, ‘Please let us walk with you, for we have heard that God is with you.’”

A similar prophecy was given in Micah Chapter 4 (NLT)
2 People from many nations will come and say, “Come, let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, to the house of Jacob’s God. There he will teach us his ways, and we will walk in his paths.” For the Lord’s teaching will go out from Zion; his word will go out from Jerusalem.

Finally, the same prophecy was given in the book of Isaiah chapter 2:2

So, based on these 3 accounts, the timeline was supposed to be Jews are to be saved first, once they accept Jesus has the Messiah, then the Kingdom will be established in Jerusalem and the Jews will then be priests spreading that blessings to all the Gentiles.

Finally, when Jesus was on Earth, he also said this to the Samaritan woman John 4:22 New Living Translation (NLT)
22 You Samaritans know very little about the one you worship, while we Jews know all about him, for salvation comes through the Jews.

According to Old Testament prophecy, no plan existed for Gentiles to be blessed universally apart from the Jews accepting their Messiah. The Jews could have chosen not to reject Jesus as their Messiah, they could have chosen to say, "Blessed is the one that comes in the name of the Lord". If they did, then Jesus would have come again and they would have been spared from many agonies, especially the Holocaust.

If they did that, then all of us Gentiles would have been blessed thru the Jews, as foretold by Zechariah.
That was my whole point.

The Jews thought that God was going to set up His Kingdom on Earth in a physical way that their carnal minds could understand.

God DID NOT do that.

And now you are making the same mistake as the jew before you reading the same passages as they did and coming up with the same conclusions.