Are the Mormons & Catholic claims of miracles just as valid as the Pentecostal claims?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

7seasrekeyed

Well, no one here will do that because they are not Roman Catholics :)

However Orthodox believers claim the same thing.

I have a friend who was raised in Egyptian Orthodoxy or Coptic religion. He showed me a video where some priest strips down to a simple robe and goes into a cathedral that supposedly has nothing in it. He comes out with a lit candled which is then circulated around the crowd lighting their candles.

His claim is that God provides the lit candle. However, I'm positive that somewhere a lighter is hidden :)

Only simpletons would believe that, but at the same time, the world is full of simpletons, and some are in the USA too. I won't name names :D

there are Catholics on this forum

we have had several threads defending the practices and so on

this is in recent weeks

UnitedWithChrist

Aug 12, 2019
Here is a video about this candle lighting ceremony:

Obviously the lighter or whatever is hidden somewhere.

It is not a true miracle but thousands of simpletons believe it.

And, this was an object of doubt for a young Egyptian who obviously knew it was a fraud. Knowing that his religious authorities were perpetrating such frauds to increase peoples' faith was disheartening to him.

I think the same exact thing is going on in charismatic churches with "gold dust" and "angel feathers".

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
Well, no one here will do that because they are not Roman Catholics :)
Oh we have a number of roman catholics here on this site now.. Often they do not reveal themselves as catholic but they select thumbsup and like and agree with reactions under catholic apologists posts, that have appeared on this site.. It is a good thing to be able to see who reacted in support of posts of a roman catholic..

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Oh we have a number of roman catholics here on this site now.. Often they do not reveal themselves as catholic but they select thumbsup and like and agree with reactions under catholic apologists posts, that have appeared on this site.. It is a good thing to be able to see who reacted in support of posts of a roman catholic..
There are some saved Catholics in the world. Some still attend the catholic church. Saved Catholics are saved against all that Rome teaches and many have rather selfish reasons as to why they stay.

The soteriology of Rome is wrong and intentionally false. Many Catholics hide here because they cannot defend the teachings of Rome and do not like to be shown the obvious errors of "the church".

I've got them in the extended family so I have lived with them for over 40 years. They want to be catholic more than they want to be Christian.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

UnitedWithChrist

Aug 12, 2019
Fair enough. I don't pay very much attention. I have seen an Orthodox or two, which shares a lot with Roman Catholicism.

UnitedWithChrist

Aug 12, 2019
I know there are some anti-Trinitarians and Sabbatarians who will do the same. Eventually you can identify them that way.

Just so I am clear, I don't have issues with Sabbatarians who are sound otherwise, but this is rare and their groups are often anti-Trinitarian and claim that non-Sabbatarians are following Rome. Either that, or they follow some nutty prophet/prophetess like EGW or Armstrong. Seventh Day Adventists claim to be Trinitarian, but in reality, they are not..they are more like tri-theists, believing in three separate beings. They call the Triune God the "Roman Catholic Trinity".

The only other notable exceptions which are sound Christians, in my opinion, would be Seventh Day Baptists, and a few Messianic Jewish groups like Jews for Jesus.