Are there any musicians in here?...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
T

toinena

She really wails on that bassoon, kinda jazzy sounds. A few notes sound pretty saxy.
Thanks. I used to play the sax, so I guess it transfers abit.

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018

Last edited:

Marcelo

Feb 4, 2016
Or can you play an instrument? Or write music?

I grew up playing the guitar, and I know the basics of playing the drums (I can hold a beat).

What do you play? :)
In my teens I learned to play the guitar and the electric bass. In my twenties I learned to play the piano by ear, and in my late thirties I learned the viola. Today, in my church, I play tenor (viola) and sing bass.

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
In my teens I learned to play the guitar and the electric bass. In my twenties I learned to play the piano by ear, and in my late thirties I learned the viola. Today, in my church, I play tenor (viola) and sing bass.
Hi marcelo,
I hope u tell more abt your music adventures... Not sure if u mentioned in other threads, but did u have people teach u the viola, for one? I know i should have someone teach me the violin, rather than learning some things wrong, then relearning. Do u have a big church? We do not even have a choir in church, but praying the Lord still leads us in that direction, for how do the younger children know what choirs be when they have not had the chance to hear?!

C

claysmithr

I'm learning guitar :)

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
I would not consider myself a proper musician, but I do love music! I played the piano for a while. I can play a few songs credibly, and pick out simple tunes. Hymns and simplish classical songs was about the highest level I ever got to...and sadly, I haven't played for several months now so I've lost a lot of dexterity. I started taking violin lessons last summer/fall. I'm still not good at it, but I do love it. Eventually I'd like to take cello lessons! And I sing :). Oh, and when I was 16 I played guitar for a week. I couldn't bear it :p. I'd love to try again sometime...we shall see.
Yes, neither am i, but i just love it. Maybe i have shared somewhere how, as a child, I had a notebook of our songs in school, and i had that for vacations to carry along and sing, thus memorizing many songs. When we travelled by car, i would also sing along the expressway, so the wind carried away my voice=). Not that i sing well even now, but i just love to, esp in groups or choirs when there is opportunity. I've also mentioned abt our first grandchild, whose face i see light up when i sing songs to.

Like those who said before, thank you for the music. I didnt grow up listening to music as i studied, unlike some sibs, but now i like to work w/ background sounds, as in this i just posted in the Music forum:

https://cnvid.net/video/british-renaissance-music-shakespeare´s-time-album-j1Sb-8kiAJA.html

If i had access to a lute, i should like to be playing such!

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018
Yes, neither am i, but i just love it. Maybe i have shared somewhere how, as a child, I had a notebook of our songs in school, and i had that for vacations to carry along and sing, thus memorizing many songs. When we travelled by car, i would also sing along the expressway, so the wind carried away my voice=). Not that i sing well even now, but i just love to, esp in groups or choirs when there is opportunity. I've also mentioned abt our first grandchild, whose face i see light up when i sing songs to.

Like those who said before, thank you for the music. I didnt grow up listening to music as i studied, unlike some sibs, but now i like to work w/ background sounds, as in this i just posted in the Music forum:

https://cnvid.net/video/british-renaissance-music-shakespeare´s-time-album-j1Sb-8kiAJA.html

If i had access to a lute, i should like to be playing such!
Well, if you have a guitar, all you have to do-I believe-is tune your g string down a half-step to F#

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
Well, if you have a guitar, all you have to do-I believe-is tune your g string down a half-step to F#
Yes, thanks... but i have no guitar haha...

Btw, u could also say i am a music listener... here is something interesting and different.
[video=youtube;IBN2GvVwOrk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBN2GvVwOrk[/video]

Marcelo

Feb 4, 2016
Hi marcelo,
I hope u tell more abt your music adventures... Not sure if u mentioned in other threads, but did u have people teach u the viola, for one? I know i should have someone teach me the violin, rather than learning some things wrong, then relearning. Do u have a big church? We do not even have a choir in church, but praying the Lord still leads us in that direction, for how do the younger children know what choirs be when they have not had the chance to hear?!
Hi, Mar! I saw your post only today so please excuse my tardy response!

Just like you I learned those instruments mostly by myself and started to learn how to read music quite late. When my dad realized I was gifted for music he sent me to a music conservatory, but I had no patience to learn the "right" way and dropped out a few days after enrollment.

I learned by watching others play and soon I was able to figure out chord changes by ear. In less than a year I put together a rock band and we ventured on tv talent shows.

We played neatly, but lacked creativity. I knew I couldn't make a living as a guitar player, so I decided to join the air force and that was the end of my career as a musician.

Funny thing is that some 20 years later I was a captain with VASP Airlines (Brazil) and Ray Conniff borded my plane. He was fond of airplanes and asked me if he could use the jump seat. That was well before SEP 11, 2001 and I said: "Welcome!".

During the flight Ray Conniff talked a lot about his motor home, his beautiful singers, and said: "As a child my dream was to be a pilot". My response was: "As a child my dream was to be a musician, but unfortunately it's too late for us to change places".

By then I was already a believer and had started learning to play the violin by myself. It was only then that I started to learn how to read music. Then I realized how important it is to be able to read.

I learned to play the violin real fast, but using one position only and therefore I never achieved optimum performance. I didn't really want to take the time to learn other positions so the solution was to switch to the viola, tenor part.

In our rehearsals (never during services) we sing a Capella and that's when I switch from tenor to bass.

Last edited:

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
This is my new duet.

I hate to brag but...

we rock.

[video=youtube;VTCJ5hedcVA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTCJ5hedcVA[/video]

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
This is my new duet.

I hate to brag but...

we rock.

Is that you and Tommy, serenading the OP? :rolleyes:[SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]

T

toinena

I think throat singing is kind of cool.....

Mel85

Daughter of the True King
Mar 28, 2018
This is my new duet.

I hate to brag but...

we rock.

Wait.... waaaaaaait.... is this actually a thing??

Oh goodness LoL

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
Hi, Mar! I saw your post only today so please excuse my tardy response!

Just like you I learned those instruments mostly by myself and started to learn how to read music quite late. When my dad realized I was gifted for music he sent me to a music conservatory, but I had no patience to learn the "right" way and dropped out a few days after enrollment.

I learned by watching others play and soon I was able to figure out chord changes by ear. In less than a year I put together a rock band and we ventured on tv talent shows.

We played neatly, but lacked creativity. I knew I couldn't make a living as a guitar player, so I decided to join the air force and that was the end of my career as a musician.

Funny thing is that some 20 years later I was a captain with VASP Airlines (Brazil) and Ray Conniff borded my plane. He was fond of airplanes and asked me if he could use the jump seat. That was well before SEP 11, 2001 and I said: "Welcome!".

During the flight Ray Conniff talked a lot about his motor home, his beautiful singers, and said: "As a child my dream was to be a pilot". My response was: "As a child my dream was to be a musician, but unfortunately it's too late for us to change places".

By then I was already a believer and had started learning to play the violin by myself. It was only then that I started to learn how to read music. Then I realized how important it is to be able to read.

I learned to play the violin real fast, but using one position only and therefore I never achieved optimum performance. I didn't really want to take the time to learn other positions so the solution was to switch to the viola, tenor part.

In our rehearsals (never during services) we sing a Capella and that's when I switch from tenor to bass.
Thanks marcelo. I hadnt realized it's been so long also. I did read this soon after u posted, but miss a lot when i return with only a little time.

Ray Conniff sounds familiar, because my parents also listened to him back then... What a day... it is only 8:12 here, but already i want to close my eyes=)). I havent held the violin for a few wks already. Then i would have forgotten what i have learned if i dont find time to practice again.