Are visions real?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Aug 12, 2019
At school the other day a guest speaker was coming to talk about faith. He used visions a lot in the talk. Personally, I don't believe in visions or had any visions. Do people just make it up or is it real? Also, why do we need visions if we have the bible? It's not like we get miracles nowadays.

Aug 12, 2019
Also, I should probably say this but the speaker came just before school finished and it been on my mind throughout the holiday.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
Eh, don't focus too much on visions.

Focus on reading the word, being a part of solid bible studies, and living out what you learn.

You may eventually have them...but coming from personal experience, we put them on a pedestal in a way that distracts our focus from what matters. It's good for encouragement, or for teaching a difficult concept (like the parables that Jesus used) but it's extra-curricular in a lot of respects.

It also depends on what someone means by "vision".

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
At school the other day a guest speaker was coming to talk about faith. He used visions a lot in the talk. Personally, I don't believe in visions or had any visions. Do people just make it up or is it real? Also, why do we need visions if we have the bible? It's not like we get miracles nowadays.
While you are very right in focusing on the Bible as a true guide for all Christians and i would encourage you to make the Bible the bed Rock you stand upon.. Things like visions and dreams and other Biblical experiences can sometimes happen.. But yes you are correct that it is easy for scammers and false preachers to fake such things..

So while we should not discount such a report without thought, we should always be very diligent to take what ever message that person gives us and compare it against the Word of God.. In this way we can be protected from any false doctrine that a false preacher will deliver..

I myself have had dreams and twice laid my hand upon people and they have been healed by the grace of God.. So i cannot with a good conscience say that these things can never happen because i have experienced them personaly..

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
If a speaker says he has visions on a regular basis, don't believe anything he says that you can not confirm with the Bible.
In Pentecostal and Charismatic Circles some, not all claim such visions as a way to give themselves authority over others.

There are times when visions are real, like with a Muslim who has no one there to witness to him, nor a Bible to read.

Speakers should emphasis what can be checked by Scripture. The word is powerful. There have been ministers in the past who have made silly claims only to be exposed later and thus discrediting the Gospel to unbelievers who have heard them speak. John Todd is one that comes to mind. Mike Warnke come to mind too.

http://www.answers.org/satan/warnke.html
http://www.answers.org/satan/warnke1.html
http://answers.org/atheism/fantasy.html
http://www.answers.org/issues/exposing_sin.html
https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Mike_Warnke

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/John_Todd
https://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Evils in Government/john_todd-defense.htm
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/davea...-chicks-lies-real-alberto-rivera-exposed.html
https://open.spotify.com/episode/4IkpPuEujiksQOQBtCJav9
https://archive.org/stream/pdfy-VNw...+[Illuminati+And+Witchcraft+Exposed]_djvu.txt

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Hello @Alexander435,

Yes, visions are real. Do we need visions? Yes. Do we need the Bible? Yes. Do we need miracles? Yes.

And, i’ll add..... do we need the Holy Spirit? YES!!!!

The Word operates with the Holy Spirit according to the Father’s Will.

Just relax and embrace what God is doing in each of us with His Word and Spirit. He is making us in His image- absolutely beautiful! :love:(y)

Aug 12, 2019
so if I get one how do I know if its my imagination or if it God speaking to me

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
It will line up with the word for starters.

Beyond that...exercise discernment. Keyword: exercise. It is a discipline and something you grow into. You don't have spiritual discernment overnight. Sure you can have it in the heat of the moment or a critical juncture, but it takes time for it to fill into all areas of your life.

Also...you have the body. Take advantage of that resource, as I see you already are :)

L

Locoponydirtman

Just stick with the Bible. Jesus reveals himself to us in his word, and in his body broken given to us as bread and his blood spilled given to us as wine in the cup of the new covenant, and in baptism; being buried with him in his death, and resurrection.
The Holy Spirit inhabits those same things, and you, and the entire body of Christ; which is all who believe in Jesus.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
If you focus on Biblical study, you aren't likely to get too confused by anything.

It's always safe to study the Bible.

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014
They are real. I know a Christian who had a few. God still gives visions.
They always have to absolutely align with the Bible though. If it's not aligned with the Bible, it's not of God.
SOME people might make it up, too, to draw attention to themselves. Avoid people who brag about their visions or focus on experiences mainly in their walk.
Experiences are not meant to be the base of our faith. Jesus told us to search the Scriptures. The fixed revealed Word of God is the knowledge base so we can test the spirit, in case we do get an experience. And having spiritual gifts is not a measure of godliness. It only means that God's being graceful.

K

Kim82

I have a question too. How will I know if the vision lines up with the bible?

If I get a vision that tomorrow I'll be having chicken for lunch, is there a scripture that can back that up?

And if there is no such scripture, does that mean, I won't have chicken?

L

Locoponydirtman

If I get a vision that tomorrow I'll be having chicken for lunch, is there a scripture that can back that up?

If you have a vision of eating chicken for lunch, it's just your personal cravings, its not likely that God cares if you have chicken or fish.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
Premonitory visions are typically a warning or a primer. Can also be inane...your own spirit can see things.

Hey Lord...I saw someone fishing in a dream and catching a trout and it happened that way next week!

...umm, cool? What purpose did that serve?

Well, I can do it!

...Continue to abide in me...be careful with your self.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
Usually it is imagination. In my observations of pentecostal charismatic churches and people, nothing really outstanding was ever produced. Most visions and dreams relate to the person themselves with what they were thinking about.

For example, in Hebrew one time while visiting a pentecostal list I quoted a passage from a woodworking book I knew. It was missionary week. And, the various interpretation of my speech was all about supporting the missionaries. That all was really just a waste of time which would better be served by having the Missionaries speak about their ministries. And, I spoke with each Missionary at their booths, none of them did wood working where they went. If the Holy Spirit was active there, He would have exposed my test and no one was wise to me.

The I said, then God said is nonsense.

Hebrews 1

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI

That vision is simply not real based on common sense. You were just thinking about what you want to eat. Nothing more.

As Christians we are not under the law.

1 Corinthians 10:25-27 ESV
Eat whatever is sold in the meat market without raising any question on the ground of conscience. For “the earth is the Lord's, and the fullness thereof.” If one of the unbelievers invites you to dinner and you are disposed to go, eat whatever is set before you without raising any question on the ground of conscience.

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014
Premonitory visions are typically a warning or a primer. Can also be inane...your own spirit can see things.

Hey Lord...I saw someone fishing in a dream and catching a trout and it happened that way next week!

...umm, cool? What purpose did that serve?

Well, I can do it!

...Continue to abide in me...be careful with your self.
Right on, the purpose is the key in determining if it's from God, if it passed the initial test.
Must be purposeful and line up within Biblical categories: exhortation (warning), encouragement or comfort to the believers.
When people have visions/dreams of comfort and prosperity for people who are living worldly... This is the most common form of false prophecy. Although I've seen others too. There was this guy on YouTube, a relatively young believer, prophesying pouring out of God's wrath on California (don't remember the vision exactly I think it prophesied and earthquake or such) at a certain date, and when it did not come to pass, instead of taking the video down, he just changed the date to a future one!!! (Sorry for the exclamation marks, I tend to get strong feelings about this kind of chutzpah) This is not how it works. In prophecy, there's no "misheard it", "got it wrong", and so on. False prophets usually operate to seek attention or draw people to give them money, but people without any of these motivations sometimes prophecy falsely, too. It is obvious that the vision came out of his own spirit and how he saw the people around him, after he got converted.

Aug 12, 2019
Right on, the purpose is the key in determining if it's from God, if it passed the initial test.
Must be purposeful and line up within Biblical categories: exhortation (warning), encouragement or comfort to the believers.
When people have visions/dreams of comfort and prosperity for people who are living worldly... This is the most common form of false prophecy. Although I've seen others too. There was this guy on YouTube, a relatively young believer, prophesying pouring out of God's wrath on California (don't remember the vision exactly I think it prophesied and earthquake or such) at a certain date, and when it did not come to pass, instead of taking the video down, he just changed the date to a future one!!! (Sorry for the exclamation marks, I tend to get strong feelings about this kind of chutzpah) This is not how it works. In prophecy, there's no "misheard it", "got it wrong", and so on. False prophets usually operate to seek attention or draw people to give them money, but people without any of these motivations sometimes prophecy falsely, too. It is obvious that the vision came out of his own spirit and how he saw the people around him, after he got converted.
The problem I have is when people are using visions in talking to new Christians and they are only using their experience rather than focusing on God. It also seems if that if that experience didn't happen they wouldn't be a Christian. I think It also makes other people feel bad as well if they don't get visions, that they could only become a Christian if they have visions. But I thought the whole point was accepting Jesus in our lives and not just hope that a vision will come.

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014
The problem I have is when people are using visions in talking to new Christians and they are only using their experience rather than focusing on God. It also seems if that if that experience didn't happen they wouldn't be a Christian. I think It also makes other people feel bad as well if they don't get visions, that they could only become a Christian if they have visions. But I thought the whole point was accepting Jesus in our lives and not just hope that a vision will come.
You are very correct! First of all the Spirit distributes the gifts diversely. Anyone who thinks we should all speak in tongues, or we should all have visions, is in error. And yes experience is not what it's about. You are totally right when you raise issue about people who put experience on a pedestal instead of Jesus.