Are you a good listener/reader?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

morefaithrequired

I accept those skills are different. But they are related.And we do more reading than listening these days...perhaps.
Im not a good listener. I know this because my partner reminds me how poor I am on detail. "but I told you".
So it is something i always need to improve on.
Sometimes we make assumptions about the person we are listening to. (example- uneducated, narrow-minded that affect our ability to fairly comprehrnd what they are saying. Prejudice you might say. Putting people in boxes.

M

morefaithrequired

so I guess I cant be a hypocrite on here from now on anymore...… otherwise you will point me back to this thread

Going_Nowhere

Nov 10, 2019
Am I a good listener? Depends. If you keep it short and to the point, I'll listen. If you ramble on about something, my mind may go elsewhere.

M

morefaithrequired

Am I a good listener? Depends. If you keep it short and to the point, I'll listen. If you ramble on about something, my mind may go elsewhere.
Blessed are the long winded for they shall be called long winded.

Feb 28, 2016
first of all, who are you referring to as (we) who do more 'reading than listening'???
seems as though you have put yourself into a BOX...

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
Hi morefaith,

I think I am/can be a good listener... because I tend to listen more than speak. There are times, esp at home, when a discussion turns out like a contest or race=| when the person I speak with wants to reply too fast, as a child sometimes does. But I have to correct a wrong assumption or principle, and the other doesn't always want to listen, so replying as soon as s/he can! Outside, at work, at church, i'm often more of a listener. On Cc, for example, I read more than I could ever reply.

Wondered abt your asking abt being a reader too.. did u mean reading/trying to understand others thru listening?

M

morefaithrequired

Hi morefaith,

I think I am/can be a good listener... because I tend to listen more than speak. There are times, esp at home, when a discussion turns out like a contest or race=| when the person I speak with wants to reply too fast, as a child sometimes does. But I have to correct a wrong assumption or principle, and the other doesn't always want to listen, so replying as soon as s/he can! Outside, at work, at church, i'm often more of a listener. On Cc, for example, I read more than I could ever reply.

Wondered abt your asking abt being a reader too.. did u mean reading/trying to understand others thru listening?
I mean reading each others posts carefully. even rereading to make sure.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Try reading your own posts out loud to make sure they make sense, at least, to yourself.
I dont think Im the greatest communicator but Im pretty good at reading, and conversely listening. However having a soft voice often means people dont hear me, even when Ive said something and think they had heard me. Im sure I told someone this but then half the time its actually the other persons fault because they were actually deaf and didnt even know what I was saying, even though they pretended to be listening. This happens with elderly people.

Another thing is if people have an angry tone of voice I dont hear them its like my ears filter out all the bad stuff.

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
I’m a good reader in that I have a nice voice and “presence” when reading. I kinda unintentionally ham it up by sounding a little bit like a narrator from a book on tape.

As far as listening? That can be more contested as not so good. I tend to get good details on things that I can relate to or tie to something else I know, but otherwise I only really remember lots of details if I can make notes. Otherwise I can trail off focus on the middle.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Another tip is to keep your posts short, People dont tend to read looong posts, just as people cant listen to people ramble on without a break. Especially if they keep repeating themselves.

Or break up your text into paragraphs.

I do tend to all asleep in long sermons and powerpoint presentations and lectures. It is beause sitting for too long in a dark room means me body thinks its sleepy time. Its like you think people are listening and nodding when actually they are nodding off or hypnotised.

WingsOfLight

Dec 10, 2019
I try to be a good listener and reader. Sometimes I think it's easier to be a good reader because you can take your time and read the posts again if you don't quite understand the first time. Then you can respond when you're ready.
When listening to someone out loud, the person you are listening to may or may not appreciate repeating themselves if you ask them to explain again.

Also, a person's mind can be more focused on what they are reading than what they hear........... or vise versa. Everyone is different.

I hope my post makes sense and matched the topic!