Are you a Mary or a Martha?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jul 28, 2018
Recently, our pastor preached a sermon on Mary and Martha and how Martha was more concerned with getting everything prepared and seemed too busy while Mary was more concerned with being at the feet of Jesus. Often times, I feel much like Mary. Always a to do list and super busy with life. I wonder who else lives life that way and which one do you relate to?

Mel85

Daughter of the True King
Mar 28, 2018
I think I’m more of a Mary. I’d love to have followed Jesus in the physical.

Jul 28, 2018
I think I’m more of a Mary. I’d love to have followed Jesus in the physical.
I'm trying to become more like Mary and not focus on what needs to be done so much but just sitting sometimes and being present. I burn the candle at both ends at times so I appreciated the message. Can you imagine sitting at his feet? I love the song "I can only imagine" because I just don't know what I would do.

Mel85

Mar 28, 2018
I'm trying to become more like Mary and not focus on what needs to be done so much but just sitting sometimes and being present. I burn the candle at both ends at times so I appreciated the message. Can you imagine sitting at his feet? I love the song "I can only imagine" because I just don't know what I would do.
What i found interesting about Martha was that she was so busy trying to sort things out when Jesus arrived, that she missed the whole point of him being there - I don’t want to be that person but I Also know that I have been “busy” in life that I’ve missed Him at times. The beautiful thing is that He calls us back to Him, but the hardest part is whether we obey and follow Him.

Sep 3, 2016
38 Now it happened as they went that He entered a certain village; and a certain woman named Martha welcomed Him into her house. 39 And she had a sister called Mary, who also sat at Jesus’ feet and heard His word. 40 But Martha was distracted with much serving, and she approached Him and said, “Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Therefore tell her to help me.” 41 And Jesus answered and said to her, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about many things. 42 But one thing is needed, and Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her.” Luke 10

Note: Martha had a physical relationship with Christ, in serving Him, while Mary had a Spiritual relationship by hearing and worshiping Him. Martha was doing a good thing, but it was not the best thing. We learn that one can be very much involved in the Work of the Lord, and little involved in Worship of the Lord. However, the Lord is much more concerned about the Worker than the Work. If the Worker is right, the Work will be right as well!

There are many hidden traps and snares (the tree of the knowledge of good and evil) in this life due to the fall of Adam. This is why the scriptures says, "There is a way that seems right to a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death (Proverbs 14:12, 16:25)."

The only way the Believer can walk in the Spirit is by placing and maintaining their Faith exclusively in Christ (who He is) and the Cross of Calvary where the victory was won (what He has done), i.e., The Finished Work, i.e., The Blood of Jesus. (Romans 8:2)

If it's done in the flesh, it will consume the person, i.e., "the bush"; however, if it's done by the Power of the Holy Spirit, the bush will burn and not be consumed (Exodus 3:2, Romans 8:2).

Mel85

Mar 28, 2018
38 Now it happened as they went that He entered a certain village; and a certain woman named Martha welcomed Him into her house. 39 And she had a sister called Mary, who also sat at Jesus’ feet and heard His word. 40 But Martha was distracted with much serving, and she approached Him and said, “Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Therefore tell her to help me.” 41 And Jesus answered and said to her, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about many things. 42 But one thing is needed, and Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her.” Luke 10

Note: Martha had a physical relationship with Christ, in serving Him, while Mary had a Spiritual relationship by hearing and worshiping Him. Martha was doing a good thing, but it was not the best thing. We learn that one can be very much involved in the Work of the Lord, and little involved in Worship of the Lord. However, the Lord is much more concerned about the Worker than the Work. If the Worker is right, the Work will be right as well!

There are many hidden traps and snares (the tree of the knowledge of good and evil) in this life due to the fall of Adam. This is why the scriptures says, "There is a way that seems right to a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death (Proverbs 14:12, 16:25)."

The only way the Believer can walk in the Spirit is by placing and maintaining their Faith exclusively in Christ (who He is) and the Cross of Calvary where the victory was won (what He has done), i.e., The Finished Work, i.e., The Blood of Jesus. (Romans 8:2)

If it's done in the flesh, it will consume the person, i.e., "the bush"; however, if it's done by the Power of the Holy Spirit, the bush will burn and not be consumed (Exodus 3:2, Romans 8:2).
The question is, which one are you?

Jul 27, 2018
What i found interesting about Martha was that she was so busy trying to sort things out when Jesus arrived, that she missed the whole point of him being there - I don’t want to be that person but I Also know that I have been “busy” in life that I’ve missed Him at times. The beautiful thing is that He calls us back to Him, but the hardest part is whether we obey and follow Him.
Sometimes we forget what we need to prioritize. It makes a difference.

J

JB2018

Recently, our pastor preached a sermon on Mary and Martha and how Martha was more concerned with getting everything prepared and seemed too busy while Mary was more concerned with being at the feet of Jesus. Often times, I feel much like Mary. Always a to do list and super busy with life. I wonder who else lives life that way and which one do you relate to?

Wow, I recently heard a similar sermon.

Jul 28, 2018
I meant to say I feel much like Martha, not Mary.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I'm neither like Mary nor like Martha. I'm more like Lazarus...

It's a gender thing. ;)

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
I'm more like mary, but also know that without works our faith is dead... and so have to deal with many martha tasks.

Janna38

Jul 2, 2018
when I’m in my room I’m Mary when I go outside I go wild like a Martha. Lol.

student

Jul 20, 2010
I used to be Mary. I'm sad I don't fit that lately. I. Not a Martha by any means

student

Jul 20, 2010
I used to be Mary. I'm sad I don't fit that lately. I. Not a Martha by any means
Though later Mary was described as helping Martha. Th ere I am... must be a Mary still. Just need more cracks of the books

Janna38

Jul 2, 2018
My dog can be Mary or Ruth. x)

Mar 28, 2016
I think of it more as an example as to how God has designed two people can work together as one in a ministry. Both kinds of gifts are required to strengthen the other. I think it is why we are typified as being sent out two by two. Two represents the church, the bride and Christ our husband . You could say one seen like Martha doing the work Mary is represented as worshiping as a representative glory of the other not seen to make the work complete.

I would think every successful minsirty is in respect to two working together in perfect harmony and mutual submission .

Or like the god head, the Father and I are one Spirit working together as two. As the Son drank the cup of wrath the father worked to strengthen. (one work)

It would be like other dynamic duels. David and Johnathon as soul brothers .

1 Samuel 18:1 And it came to pass, when he had made an end of speaking unto Saul, that the soul of Jonathan was knit with the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own soul.

Or Moses and Aaron.
Exodus 7:1 And the Lord said unto Moses, See, I have made thee a god to Pharaoh: and Aaron thy brother shall be thy prophet.

Deborah and Barak.

And Barak said unto her, If thou wilt go with me, then I will go: but if thou wilt not go with me, then I will not go. Judges 4

Ruth and Boaz. Mom and Dad etc