Are you an overcomer?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Sep 14, 2018
It is sad that today so many of the doctrines of the various denominations are so defeatist in nature. If you live by them you will be a failure in life. God does not call people to be failures. He calls them to be OVERCOMERS!

Revelation 21:7 He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.

This is a poor translation of the verb "overcome". This is a present tense verb which means you are seeing the overcoming as it is happening. The translation should be "He that is overcoming..." --- that means here and now. If you are overcoming then you will be a son of God.

What is it that we overcome? Satan, sin and self. Overcomers do not succumb to the temptations of Satan. Overcomers do not sin. Overcomers do not yield to the pleasures of the flesh.

Overcoming is all about victory in life! Overcoming is all about winning. Overcoming is all about being a son of God just like Jesus.

Dec 12, 2013
This is the victory that overcomes the word...even our FAITH......

Some of what you say disregards many scriptures that gives balance to your view......just saying!

Quantrill

Sep 20, 2018
It is sad that today so many of the doctrines of the various denominations are so defeatist in nature. If you live by them you will be a failure in life. God does not call people to be failures. He calls them to be OVERCOMERS!

Revelation 21:7 He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.

This is a poor translation of the verb "overcome". This is a present tense verb which means you are seeing the overcoming as it is happening. The translation should be "He that is overcoming..." --- that means here and now. If you are overcoming then you will be a son of God.

What is it that we overcome? Satan, sin and self. Overcomers do not succumb to the temptations of Satan. Overcomers do not sin. Overcomers do not yield to the pleasures of the flesh.

Overcoming is all about victory in life! Overcoming is all about winning. Overcoming is all about being a son of God just like Jesus.
If you have placed faith in Jesus Christ and are born-again, that is a simultaneous act, then you are an overcomer. (1 John 5:4-5) ".... Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?"

Your walk of faith is going to be up and down. Victory and defeats. Neither of which take away from your being an overcomer by your faith in Christ.

God is not out for your success before the world. He doesn't mind if you are viewed as a failure. God doesn't require us to be successful. He only requires us to be faithful.

Quantrill

Dec 9, 2011

Overcomers do not sin?
True that JESUS gave HIS life and bridged the gap that we could not reach In our own strength because of the weakness of our flesh but we do still sin In this world In our fleshly bodies.

It was our spirits that were made perfect and when JESUS comes back again we will be like HIM but right now we are still In our unchanged bodies.

Remember the Issue now Is faith,not sin.

Feb 28, 2016
true success can only be achieved in living the Faith
that Jesus has blessed us with...

L

LPT

I like the song...

Sep 14, 2018
This is the victory that overcomes the word...even our FAITH......

Some of what you say disregards many scriptures that gives balance to your view......just saying!

You mean believers are NOT supposed to be overcomers?

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
1 John 5:4 - For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith. (y)

Sep 14, 2018
If you have placed faith in Jesus Christ and are born-again, that is a simultaneous act, then you are an overcomer. (1 John 5:4-5) ".... Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?"

Your walk of faith is going to be up and down. Victory and defeats. Neither of which take away from your being an overcomer by your faith in Christ.

God is not out for your success before the world. He doesn't mind if you are viewed as a failure. God doesn't require us to be successful. He only requires us to be faithful.

Quantrill

You missed my point that overcoming in an on-going process. It is not just a title. If you are overcomer then you are overcoming constantly and victorious in life. Then, back to my point, today's doctrines of traditional churches are defeatist in nature. Following them will make you a loser, not a winner.

Sep 14, 2018
Overcomers do not sin?
True that JESUS gave HIS life and bridged the gap that we could not reach In our own strength because of the weakness of our flesh but we do still sin In this world In our fleshly bodies.

It was our spirits that were made perfect and when JESUS comes back again we will be like HIM but right now we are still In our unchanged bodies.

Remember the Issue now Is faith,not sin.

Yes, I am saying overcomers do not sin. You are defending traditional doctrine when you refuse to believe that you can't be like Jesus here and now.

Part of the problem is that church doctrine teaches that salvation is all about going to heaven and is the main reason Jesus came --- to die on a cross to pay for your sins so you could go to heaven when you die. This is NOT the ultimate reason Jesus came. He died to clean believers of sin so they could receive the Holy Spirit. Receiving the Holy Spirit makes you a new creature which means you are no longer just a human being, you are a human being filled with God. Being filled with God enables you to be a son of God just like Jesus was when He walked on earth. Jesus was the first of many sons and it is possible to live His life in this world here and now in the same kind of fleshly body He had.

E

eternally-gratefull

You mean believers are NOT supposed to be overcomers?
Believers HAVE overcome the world. That is what scripture says, Do you not believe this?

Maybe you should focus on what it meant to have faith. And not on how good you are.. maybe then you will see

E

eternally-gratefull

You missed my point that overcoming in an on-going process. It is not just a title. If you are overcomer then you are overcoming constantly and victorious in life. Then, back to my point, today's doctrines of traditional churches are defeatist in nature. Following them will make you a loser, not a winner.
Yep. It is you who think you must do the work of overcoming, Not you allowing God to work in you.

God says we have overcome (are victorius) and not in the process of overcoming. why don’t you believe him?

Thanks for showing us the root of your issue.

Sep 14, 2018
Believers HAVE overcome the world. That is what scripture says, Do you not believe this?

Maybe you should focus on what it meant to have faith. And not on how good you are.. maybe then you will see

Again, overcoming is not a title. It is not a past event. It is not something you have when you say "I believe". It is an on-going process that starts when you become a disciple and on your way to becoming a son of God.

Sep 14, 2018
Yep. It is you who think you must do the work of overcoming, Not you allowing God to work in you.

God says we have overcome (are victorius) and not in the process of overcoming. why don’t you believe him?

Thanks for showing us the root of your issue.

You need to check out the verb tenses of the Greek word that means "to overcome".

E

eternally-gratefull

Again, overcoming is not a title. It is not a past event. It is not something you have when you say "I believe". It is an on-going process that starts when you become a disciple and on your way to becoming a son of God.
Sorry I will have to go with scripture on this. Whoever has been born of God has overcome the world.

We overcome BECAUSE we have been born of God. Not because we are sinless.

E

eternally-gratefull

You need to check out the verb tenses of the Greek word that means "to overcome".
Lets check the whole passage.

Whoever has been born of God

Whoever - anyone

Born - genneo - verb perfect passive (to be born of, beggoten by) (the act of being born of God is being performed by God, ie, the subject “whoever” is born by an act of God. Not an act of the subject himself - since verb is perfect. The action (being born of) is a completed action which was perfect

Of God
Overcomes - verb, present ACTIVE INDICATIVE

Ie, Whoever through the action of God, has been born of him is continuously in an active present state of overcoming the world.

Nice try bud.. but you failed on this one..

Hevosmies

Sep 8, 2018
Thats a tough message for someone like me. Im much of a loser in life really, poor, never really amounted to nothing, probably never will, true underworld creature.
I can look at myself objectively and be honest. No need for smoke and mirrors when posting here. Guess I just gotta tighten up.

I just find it odd that even after Jesus died for my sins on the cross, I still have to be victorious in life, and i must overcome and I can never sin. (1 john 2:1?)

NayborBear

Banned Serpent Seed Heresy
Overcoming is all about being a son of God just like Jesus.
Beings, we as "gentiles", grafted into the true vine? The BEST any gentile could actually be considered in being called? Would be Adopted sons of God!

(I "see" a course correction headed your way!) (be sure to "kiss the paddle of correction") ;)

L

LPT