are you living or living by the book?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

Jullianna

If you were 20 years older, I would totally stalk you, Ritter :D

WW II vets....awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwesome! One of the guys I was honored to interview was the radio guy assigned to General MacArthur. He said that Mac was ordered to leave because the base was about to be overrun. He said that Mac didn't want to leave, but they made him. They couldn't allow him to be taken captive because of all of the things he knew. The guy I interviewed WAS captured though and held as a POW for several years. His story of survival and how he found out the war was over were mesmerizing. I'll have to share it sometime. :)

Lucy68

Jan 21, 2011
Since most people seem to prefer the other direction for some reason, we might as well go there, huh? ;) Here's my take on the thing from that perspective:

We all think we know stuff from time to time just because we’ve read about it or studied it, right? BUT…remember when we were a teenagers who studied a lot of stuff, listened intently to our teachers/professors, made excellent grades and really THOUGHT we knew what we were talking about and that our parents didn’t have a clue about things? THEN somewhere in our mid-20s or early 30s our parents or other elders suddenly seemed a LOT smarter and we found out things weren’t quite the way we'd heard/read? The things our education systems teach about the things of God alone should be evidence of how far off the mark they often are.

THAT’S the sort of thing I’m talking about. Life is an excellent teacher. I don’t know about anyone else, but life has taught me a lot of cold, harsh reality and I’ve had to toss a lot of THEORY from my earlier days.

I loooooove talking with older people. There is so much yet to learn and experience. My late husband's mom (referred to above) is one of the most godly women I've ever known. She will always have my heart and utmost respect. I trust her completely and would accept her counsel above pretty much anyone's (any mere mortal that is..). I pray to be teachable frequently, as wisdom is something we should soak up sponge after sponge after sponge. As Liamson often says: "From such a thing, such a thing comes." We become wise by learning from the wise, not from the inexperienced.

We don't know how much we DON'T know until we know it. There's wisdom in recognizing this alone; otherwise, our mouths can overload our backsides. I can't even begin to imagine what it will be like when we get to Heaven and our eyes are completely open to the wisdom of the ages. We'll be totally dumbfounded.

People in these forums have gone through a lot of HUGE stuff. If I have no experience in an area or haven't protected/cared for/worked with victims of the thing, I won't post just to be posting. I will either offer prayers/love/encouragement (as such things often touch my heart deeply) or I will simply close the thread. Oftentimes, someone who HAS been through the same thing has it under control. Most of the time people don't really want advice anyway. They just want to know someone is listening and actually cares.

The first thing my TO taught me when I graduated from the policy academy and hit the streets was that nothing was going to be like they told us… He was right. Heeding his advice saved my life probably more times than I will ever know. I would imagine a lot of soldiers, seasoned school teachers/parents/marriage counselors/pastors/etc. would say the same.

I work with attorneys. Bunches of them. Extremely intelligent people who have doctorate degrees; but it's been eyeopening to learn how little they know about the world outside of their gated communities and human nature.

My very wise war-tested stepdad said it best:

"You'll change your tune about a thing when you get out there and the wolf bites you on the (expletive deleted)"

P.S. - don't be bitin' anybody, Oncefallen ;)

This was very pleasant to read and full of wisdom! What's a TO and is that 'police' academy? I bet you do have practical experience involving people and situations!

One other thing about 'experience' vs 'knowledge' ...I've found that a lot of what I THINK I know about Christian teachings isn't very much when I'm in a trial to test it. Just a lesson that we can understand a concept without being able to apply it. And also, that we don't have to have had an experience to give advice on it.

Thanks for sharing that!

T

TurtleShell

I agree with all of the above that you have posted here, Jullianna, I have seen all of them occur. My mom used to follow relationships to the love novels tee. It used to drive my crazy because I can see that we need our own belief systems, not from a book. I can't stand it, too, when people tell other people how to raise their children when they have none of their own or their children are not living with them.

niceguyJ

Feb 5, 2011
Thank you for your comments, niceguyj. They mean a lot, as you are one of the people I respect most in this forum.

niceguyj and liz: my mom owned a magazine for a couple of years and one of the things I really enjoyed was interviewing older people for articles she wanted...several WW II vets and their survival stories, and a 90 yr old man who survived one of the worst tornados in history. In my current job I still have many opportunities to listen to, protect and assist the elderly. It's one of the best parts of my job. :)
That is most definitely mutual.

Very cool! I really enjoy hearing their stories as well.
I find that I tend to be more comfortable around old people than some other groups. I'm not quite sure why, but I wonder if it has to do with the fact that most older people are much more secure in themselves. They know who they are, and they're not trying to pretend to be someone else. I guess that makes me a little more comfortable letting my guard down.

J

Jullianna

This was very pleasant to read and full of wisdom! What's a TO and is that 'police' academy? I bet you do have practical experience involving people and situations!

One other thing about 'experience' vs 'knowledge' ...I've found that a lot of what I THINK I know about Christian teachings isn't very much when I'm in a trial to test it. Just a lesson that we can understand a concept without being able to apply it. And also, that we don't have to have had an experience to give advice on it.

Thanks for sharing that!
Thank you, Lucy :)

TO = Training Officer

and, yes, it should have been "police" academy :)

I understand what you are saying about scripture. We don't really get it sometimes until we have to stand on it. Sometimes we fall, but we get back up and get back in the race. Next time we'll have a deeper understanding, huh?

Cool thing about scripture...the very same verses can take on completely different meanings at different stages in our lives, huh? The Word is ALIVE :)

J

Jullianna

That is most definitely mutual.

Very cool! I really enjoy hearing their stories as well.
I find that I tend to be more comfortable around old people than some other groups. I'm not quite sure why, but I wonder if it has to do with the fact that most older people are much more secure in themselves. They know who they are, and they're not trying to pretend to be someone else. I guess that makes me a little more comfortable letting my guard down.
I think I like talking with them because they actually have something to SAY and worth hearing when they talk, rather than babbling on about goofy stuff. :)

niceguyJ

Feb 5, 2011
I think I like talking with them because they actually have something to SAY and worth hearing when they talk, rather than babbling on about goofy stuff. :)
YES. That's something I respect in them too.
I love those people who can say SO much while using very few words. I think it's something that can be learned over time. I want to be like that. I do my fair share of goofy babbling and goofing off though.

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
P.S. - don't be bitin' anybody, Oncefallen ;)
WHAT????? That's like telling a duck to not float on water, or an eagle to not soar on the updrafts..........it's my nature. :p

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
I think the greatest missed opportunity in my life was the last six months of my Grandfathers life. After my grandmother passed, my folks moved my grandfather across the country to live with us. I was 19, he was 89. Being my 19 year old self, I was never home and on the rare occasion that I was, I holed up in my bedroom. I hadn't seen my grandparents much as I was growing up, so my grandfather was very much a stranger to me.

Four or five years later I ended up working around a man in his 70's, and because of the nature of that job we spent a lot of time sitting around talking. He loved to talk about the way things were when he grew up. It was then that I realized that my grandfather was a walking, talking history book that I had failed to open up.

We as a culture have lost the value of the aged and the wisdom that comes with those years.

J

Jullianna

One the greatest treasures I found among my mother's things after she passed was something I'd never expected to find. She had been writing a book. A biography. Just for herself. She never said anything. It was tucked away in her dresser.

I read about what she was like as a child. Her teen heartaches. Her joys. Her friends. The abuse she had suffered as a child. Her passion for God. The healing He'd brought to her. Her love for music. Stories about some of the country music stars she'd been a backup singer for long before I came along. Geneologies/family histories she'd compiled for a college paper. I came to know her as a PERSON, not just as my mom. I wish I had known her this way when she was still here.

I bought my son's paternal grandmother a book from Hallmark a few years back that asked questions about her life too, so that when she is gone, I can pass it onto him along with my own mom's bio.

Having come from a military family, I didn't get to spend a lot of time with extended family, not even grandparents. So, it's important to me that I pass as much as I can on to my son.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 2, 2009
If you were 20 years older, I would totally stalk you, Ritter :D

WW II vets....awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwesome! One of the guys I was honored to interview was the radio guy assigned to General MacArthur. He said that Mac was ordered to leave because the base was about to be overrun. He said that Mac didn't want to leave, but they made him. They couldn't allow him to be taken captive because of all of the things he knew. The guy I interviewed WAS captured though and held as a POW for several years. His story of survival and how he found out the war was over were mesmerizing. I'll have to share it sometime. :)
That must be when he said those famous words, "I shall return." Or should I say, "I'll be back."

J

Jullianna

Thinking about this stuff brought to mind one of my favorite movies - Secondhand Lions. If you haven't seen it, do. There's an awesome line at the end when the young boy is talking about his uncles and was asked, "So, they really lived?", and he says..."Yeah. They REEALLY lived."

Can't say more without spoiling the movie :)

niceguyJ

Feb 5, 2011
I love that movie! I hardly ever see anyone mention it though. Maybe because it's so different than a lot of the typical sex driven or blood and guts stuff that rakes in the money and attention.
I 2nd the recommendation to see it. Give it a shot.

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
One the greatest treasures I found among my mother's things after she passed was something I'd never expected to find. She had been writing a book. A biography. Just for herself. She never said anything. It was tucked away in her dresser.

I read about what she was like as a child. Her teen heartaches. Her joys. Her friends. The abuse she had suffered as a child. Her passion for God. The healing He'd brought to her. Her love for music. Stories about some of the country music stars she'd been a backup singer for long before I came along. Geneologies/family histories she'd compiled for a college paper. I came to know her as a PERSON, not just as my mom. I wish I had known her this way when she was still here.
This really struck a longing in my heart. Like you I really didn't get to know my grandparents before they passed because we left the east coast for the west when I was young. As God would have it, my folks and I left CA within a couple of years of each other and by God's plan we ended up the same city in CO.

Your statement there made me realize just how little I know about my parents which struck a longing to dig in and get to know them beyond the level I do.

J

Jullianna

I agree with all of the above that you have posted here, Jullianna, I have seen all of them occur. My mom used to follow relationships to the love novels tee. It used to drive my crazy because I can see that we need our own belief systems, not from a book. I can't stand it, too, when people tell other people how to raise their children when they have none of their own or their children are not living with them.
Thank you, Shelby :)

Cute roar kitty avatar too ;)

J

Jullianna

This really struck a longing in my heart. Like you I really didn't get to know my grandparents before they passed because we left the east coast for the west when I was young. As God would have it, my folks and I left CA within a couple of years of each other and by God's plan we ended up the same city in CO.

Your statement there made me realize just how little I know about my parents which struck a longing to dig in and get to know them beyond the level I do.
I hope you do while you still can, Oncefallen. Truly. It's huge. :)