Arguing for the Sake of Arguing.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

roaringkitten

yes Cristen.....Which is why I try and explain the Scriptures I post.....Look, I am not saying that EVERY comment needs to have Scripture being attached to it....But the basis of their argument needs Scriptural support.....And if people disagree with me I dont take it as a personal assault either....We are free to agree or disagree....The ONLY personal assault is when when they assault the very core doctrine of the gospel.

R

Rosinsky

I want to thank everyone who responded to this, agreeing or disagreeing.

I'm not against people having different points of view and debating them. What had me upset was what seemed like a lot of mean-spirited posts.

Also, roaringkitten- I'd just like to point out that it's unfair to expect every person who posts in a debate-type thread to quote scriptures for everything they say. That's not my style, and I know a lot of people who post in the forums also don't use this style. I'd also like to say that I generally agree with what you say in your posts, and any disagreeing posts I've replied with, I didn't mean for them to come across as an assault on you.

There's nothing wrong with stating what you personally believe or feel is right, without always supporting it with scripture. The problem comes in when a person states their own feelings/beliefs as absolute fact (with no support), and insist that everyone else should believe exactly as they do.

The main thing I was trying to get at is:

Not every subject is best handled by quoting verses, especially if those verses aren't being explained. Which often times on this forum, they aren't. They may fit the topic, but not everyone involved in the discussion will necessarily understand how those verses apply when they're just copied and pasted without any explanation.

And I think a lot of the time, when the only response to someone's question is a really long post containing ONLY scripture, the person feels attacked or like they weren't even being listened to. Hence why I said that it may not be helpful to just throw out a bunch of scripture in a discussion.
I totally agree with you CristenJ, I used to post in forums filling it up with scriptures. But I have found out that this is not a very productive way.

I also agree with you about those who post scriptures without explaining them. I am not really interested in someone posting scriptures because most likely, I already know these scriptures. Since this is a discussion, I am more interested in what the person believes the scriptures mean and how they support his/her points/beliefs.

C

CristenJ

If you were one of the ones who copied and pasted scripture without explaining the reason for it, I wouldn't read your posts and would therefore be unable to agree or disagree with you :D lol Just sayin. And, you know, it's never the scriptures that I disagree with, but rather, how people use them.

R

Rosinsky

If you were one of the ones who copied and pasted scripture without explaining the reason for it, I wouldn't read your posts and would therefore be unable to agree or disagree with you :D lol Just sayin. And, you know, it's never the scriptures that I disagree with, but rather, how people use them.
lol, I am glad I don't do that anymore (though I did explain them, there were just too many scriptures). I am with you on this as well, it is never the scriptures I disagree with, it is always how people interpret them.

BLC

Banned
Feb 28, 2009
ChristenJ,

You have made some excellent points and have a very sensative heart to your credit. I for one have taken them to heart and see some very good wisdom in what you have said. Along with that I would like to tell you why I post with scripture verses included. Many times when someone communicates in a post, the reader will want to know where in scripture that can be supported. So they respond and ask you to support what you say will scripture. Then you respond and have to post all over again with the scriptures. I decided to include scriptures in my posts so that those who needed a scripture reference would have it to confer with and other may do it for the same reason. Sometimes I will copy and paste a portion of scripture that supports the content of the post or to get someone to consider the wording of those scriptures. Thank you for honestly and sincerely communicating your heart on that issue.

N

nanabean

Well said Nana....
Thank you NoahsMom......I don't post anymore without praying first, because I get so so so anxious about coming off wrong, so I really appreciate the back up!!!

N

nanabean

Roaring kitten I agree with you on our core beliefs and Nana i'm glad you said that! I will add: Its important to remember that we have various different age groups in here (physically and spiritually); so what may seem like nonsense or silliness to you might be something that helps a young person or people young at heart such as meself, :p Either way , come on how hard is it for us to walk in love, and on the internet no less?
:p
Thank you Merry.....As I said to NoahsMom...I pray beofre posting,as I want to make sure that what I say is what I WANT to come across with, so I am glad others let me know when I get it right!!! :) I did post a few (very few haha) times without prayer first, and I felt later that I may have come off a bit....flippant?? :( I REALLY didn't want to do that here!!!

God Bless ...and God Bless you too NoahsMom!!! (I forgotted to add that to yours!!! sorry!!!)

M

Marycon

hi guys. I am new here...

Feb 27, 2007
welcome to cc marycon... be sure to go into the chat rooms and jump into the convo (you must do this to meet people & get to know them) Dont be shy. God Bless U!

Status
Not open for further replies.