I haveread the “love” story of Isaac and Rebekkah a couple of times.I´m not sure if it was given as a lesson for young people or old,but I like to say a word about it, then sue me or throw your stones.
As afather or person, I disliked Laban. His attitudes and ways suck,particularly when he tricked Jacob, when this worked so hard to getRachel home.
Themoment I saw him in Gen 24:29-30 (Assoon as he saw the ring and the bracelets on his sister's arms) I felt what I know about me... Ithink my sons are not like that but, how could it be when my daughtergets older, and one of her brothers behaves like that way?
Well, inshort, I think that story teaches a lot on how giving up a daughterand what type of assurance a woman (and her family) needs to let hergo.
Rebekkahleft home with assistants. She went to see Isaac´s face, to meet himpersonally and yet she had the right to say “yes” or “not”.
Isaac´sdad was the wealthy. I don´t know how rich (or good worker) Isaacwas, except he was Abraham´s heir. And my question, as a father:What kind of man would you give your daughter? (if that depended fromyou will).
Abraham´sfatherhood was blessed, not materially, but spiritually (Gen_17:21 But I will establish my covenant with Isaac...).I do believe it was God´s business on that matchmaking and, as Labanmight have seen, Abraham was a good provider, since his son Issacenjoyed his wealth before Abraham was dead. Laban and his fatherBethuel acknowledged Abraham, instead of Isaac´s genetic or socialrank.
Theyassumed if Abraham spared nothing to convinced them so splendidly,there was no doubt he would care for their wedding and marriage. Willyou marry your daughter with someone who has no work experience atall? With one who hasn´t finished high school, who is used to liveon alms?
Thosefriends I knew went to meet their loved ones paying the cost, thetime and the troubles. Those I have heard of (and seen) traveled abig deal of miles, and also paid their tickets and some other fewwere kind enough to pay for those they wanted to meet and know.
Abrahampaid his servants the airplane ticket to meet one woman forhis son Isaac. I think if he was younger or strong, he would havetraveled to meet his relatives in Paddam-aram.
Will yousend your daughter to meet a man alone?
Will yougive her so freely? I guess not and I tell you why: We knew theworld.
Bethuelsent his daughter with “guards”. She was with her helpers and,surely, they cared for their own life ( Gen24:59, 61). Will you be happy is your sister or daughterleaves alone?
My mothergot married to get rid of her mom (my grandma). She felt so abused(and tired) that she made that decision and it took her two years tobe divorced (with one baby). How could one simpleperson care easily her child, alone?
Those Iknew came to visit their loved ones and, asap they knew they couldcope with one another they got married and, some others, movedabroad.
I saw oneMexican came to visit the one he was “dating” online. I´dwitness about her relationship until the time she was visited andtaken away, to be married somewhere else (just to ease the visa andthose papers).
When Ifelt I had enough money to meet the one I loved in Colombia, I madethat trip and, without knowing it, she asked me to live with me in Venezuela (*), so I paid her trip my home (and also paidbribes to get her through, because she lacked the visa). (*) It will beclarified on P.S.
I don´tfeel comfortable when I don´t have money to pay my half, or myshare. I rather stay home (alone) than expectingsomeone helped me when I could not afford a travel abroad, not evenan ice cream I deserved.
Believeme when I say I know what it is like that comfort zone: Youasked and I paid. It could be also the other way around (Iasked and you paid) but that is not fair and, ofcourse, it´s the easy way for someone else´s advantage. The answeris “you asked and you paid” or “I asked and I paid”.
Would youlet your sister go abroad alone (with someone who can´t not pay hisairplane ticket to visit you, as her parents)?
Will yougive your daughter money to visit someone you don´t know, in otherstate or nation?
This weekmy mother told me she wanted to take Joy on vacations... When I toldJoy, she asked me if she could bring someone else into that trip. Isaid: “How come, Joy? My mother´s invitation isfor you, alone, how come you thought about someone else she doesn´tknow?” Even if I knew her friend, I will not take thatresponsibility, neither my mother.
Hope she would listen to this.
P.S.
Themoment I hear she thought and said: “I will be there half a year togo back and forth” I knew that would be a risk I dared toexperience. If you ever get a person thinking that way, I would suggest you to knock in somebody´s door elsewhere. I saw a divided marriage. I dared to see that way and it was her genuine decision (not practical neither convenient for me). I thought it could be done that way. It was enjoyed for almost 2 years, but it´s over: My aim wasn´t hers, and hers weren´t mine.
2Cor6:14Do not be unequallyyokedwith (…)
Amo3:3"Do two walktogether,unless they have agreed to meet?
As afather or person, I disliked Laban. His attitudes and ways suck,particularly when he tricked Jacob, when this worked so hard to getRachel home.
Themoment I saw him in Gen 24:29-30 (Assoon as he saw the ring and the bracelets on his sister's arms) I felt what I know about me... Ithink my sons are not like that but, how could it be when my daughtergets older, and one of her brothers behaves like that way?
Well, inshort, I think that story teaches a lot on how giving up a daughterand what type of assurance a woman (and her family) needs to let hergo.
Rebekkahleft home with assistants. She went to see Isaac´s face, to meet himpersonally and yet she had the right to say “yes” or “not”.
Isaac´sdad was the wealthy. I don´t know how rich (or good worker) Isaacwas, except he was Abraham´s heir. And my question, as a father:What kind of man would you give your daughter? (if that depended fromyou will).
Abraham´sfatherhood was blessed, not materially, but spiritually (Gen_17:21 But I will establish my covenant with Isaac...).I do believe it was God´s business on that matchmaking and, as Labanmight have seen, Abraham was a good provider, since his son Issacenjoyed his wealth before Abraham was dead. Laban and his fatherBethuel acknowledged Abraham, instead of Isaac´s genetic or socialrank.
Theyassumed if Abraham spared nothing to convinced them so splendidly,there was no doubt he would care for their wedding and marriage. Willyou marry your daughter with someone who has no work experience atall? With one who hasn´t finished high school, who is used to liveon alms?
Thosefriends I knew went to meet their loved ones paying the cost, thetime and the troubles. Those I have heard of (and seen) traveled abig deal of miles, and also paid their tickets and some other fewwere kind enough to pay for those they wanted to meet and know.
Abrahampaid his servants the airplane ticket to meet one woman forhis son Isaac. I think if he was younger or strong, he would havetraveled to meet his relatives in Paddam-aram.
Will yousend your daughter to meet a man alone?
Will yougive her so freely? I guess not and I tell you why: We knew theworld.
Bethuelsent his daughter with “guards”. She was with her helpers and,surely, they cared for their own life ( Gen24:59, 61). Will you be happy is your sister or daughterleaves alone?
My mothergot married to get rid of her mom (my grandma). She felt so abused(and tired) that she made that decision and it took her two years tobe divorced (with one baby). How could one simpleperson care easily her child, alone?
Those Iknew came to visit their loved ones and, asap they knew they couldcope with one another they got married and, some others, movedabroad.
I saw oneMexican came to visit the one he was “dating” online. I´dwitness about her relationship until the time she was visited andtaken away, to be married somewhere else (just to ease the visa andthose papers).
When Ifelt I had enough money to meet the one I loved in Colombia, I madethat trip and, without knowing it, she asked me to live with me in Venezuela (*), so I paid her trip my home (and also paidbribes to get her through, because she lacked the visa). (*) It will beclarified on P.S.
I don´tfeel comfortable when I don´t have money to pay my half, or myshare. I rather stay home (alone) than expectingsomeone helped me when I could not afford a travel abroad, not evenan ice cream I deserved.
Believeme when I say I know what it is like that comfort zone: Youasked and I paid. It could be also the other way around (Iasked and you paid) but that is not fair and, ofcourse, it´s the easy way for someone else´s advantage. The answeris “you asked and you paid” or “I asked and I paid”.
Would youlet your sister go abroad alone (with someone who can´t not pay hisairplane ticket to visit you, as her parents)?
Will yougive your daughter money to visit someone you don´t know, in otherstate or nation?
This weekmy mother told me she wanted to take Joy on vacations... When I toldJoy, she asked me if she could bring someone else into that trip. Isaid: “How come, Joy? My mother´s invitation isfor you, alone, how come you thought about someone else she doesn´tknow?” Even if I knew her friend, I will not take thatresponsibility, neither my mother.
Hope she would listen to this.
P.S.
Themoment I hear she thought and said: “I will be there half a year togo back and forth” I knew that would be a risk I dared toexperience. If you ever get a person thinking that way, I would suggest you to knock in somebody´s door elsewhere. I saw a divided marriage. I dared to see that way and it was her genuine decision (not practical neither convenient for me). I thought it could be done that way. It was enjoyed for almost 2 years, but it´s over: My aim wasn´t hers, and hers weren´t mine.
2Cor6:14Do not be unequallyyokedwith (…)
Amo3:3"Do two walktogether,unless they have agreed to meet?