Over the past few months I have taken the time to make note of the people around me and come to a bold conclusion. It may seem outrageous, but I firmly believe the happiest people on earth are SELLOUTS!
I know, its crazy, but look around you. Who are the happiest people? I see only two types of people who are truly happy; the sellout who is completely given over to living a sold out life of hedonism and for self pleasure of the moment or the person who has sold out their life to Christ and has committed themselves to serving in His will. Everyone else who has tried to find spots in the middle of the two, I believe struggle more and agonize more over the decisions they make because they lack the foundational conviction of the hedonist or the committed Christian.
A hedonist simply asks will this give ME pleasure now. If yes, they will do it, if no they don't. The committed christian will ask if its in the will of Christ. Again if it is, they will do it, if it isn't, they won't. Everyone else struggles with finding those yes and no answers. I call it having one foot in heaven and one foot in hell.
As I have studied my Bible, I have come to learn even God does not favor the lukewarm christian, its like lukewarm water you would spit from your mouth, not being hot or cold. As I look back over some of the struggles I have had over the past few years in relationships and with choices in other areas of life, I find myself believing that if I would have been more of a sellout either way, I would have had a better time. Then the question begs to be asked, what type of sell out should I have become?
Well, hedonism sounded fun, I mean I would have went to a lot more parties, probably tried alcohol, definitely had a lot more relationships, probably still have some friends from my past, and some other experiences. However, the joys of hedonism are only for me and are only temporary. Its like a drug, you have to keep looking for the next thing to make you feel joy, but it doesn't bring you an eternal joy.
Then there is the sold out christian. They have unspeakable joy no matter the situation and it has an eternal nature. I mean a sold out christian can be in the hospital and still find joy. I may not have gone to more parties as a sold out christian, but I would be a better example for my future kids, I would have peace when problems arise around me, and I would me more enjoyable to be around.
Given the two options, there is only one logical conclusion to my search for a happy life. I have to be a SELLOUT. Not just any sellout, because a hedonist, a sellout to self isn't enough. One has to sellout to Christ to be truly happy.
I know, its crazy, but look around you. Who are the happiest people? I see only two types of people who are truly happy; the sellout who is completely given over to living a sold out life of hedonism and for self pleasure of the moment or the person who has sold out their life to Christ and has committed themselves to serving in His will. Everyone else who has tried to find spots in the middle of the two, I believe struggle more and agonize more over the decisions they make because they lack the foundational conviction of the hedonist or the committed Christian.
A hedonist simply asks will this give ME pleasure now. If yes, they will do it, if no they don't. The committed christian will ask if its in the will of Christ. Again if it is, they will do it, if it isn't, they won't. Everyone else struggles with finding those yes and no answers. I call it having one foot in heaven and one foot in hell.
As I have studied my Bible, I have come to learn even God does not favor the lukewarm christian, its like lukewarm water you would spit from your mouth, not being hot or cold. As I look back over some of the struggles I have had over the past few years in relationships and with choices in other areas of life, I find myself believing that if I would have been more of a sellout either way, I would have had a better time. Then the question begs to be asked, what type of sell out should I have become?
Well, hedonism sounded fun, I mean I would have went to a lot more parties, probably tried alcohol, definitely had a lot more relationships, probably still have some friends from my past, and some other experiences. However, the joys of hedonism are only for me and are only temporary. Its like a drug, you have to keep looking for the next thing to make you feel joy, but it doesn't bring you an eternal joy.
Then there is the sold out christian. They have unspeakable joy no matter the situation and it has an eternal nature. I mean a sold out christian can be in the hospital and still find joy. I may not have gone to more parties as a sold out christian, but I would be a better example for my future kids, I would have peace when problems arise around me, and I would me more enjoyable to be around.
Given the two options, there is only one logical conclusion to my search for a happy life. I have to be a SELLOUT. Not just any sellout, because a hedonist, a sellout to self isn't enough. One has to sellout to Christ to be truly happy.