Assurance?

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

nowyouseem033

Senior Member
Jul 17, 2014
535
30
28
Can one be absolutely CERTAIN of there own salvation? Ive heard that only absolute certainty is Gods and Gods alone....
We can be confident but do we have absolute knowledge that we are saved now and in the future.
 

"These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life." 1 John 5:13
 
Of course.

1 John 5:13 (NASB)
[SUP]13 [/SUP]
These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life.

Opps....posted before I saw FreeNChrist's post..
 
Ro 8:16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

For the cause of Christ
Roger
 
if we have no assurance, we have no hope.. f we have no hope. all we have left is fer.

God is called not a spirit of fear. but an Abba Father..
 
I think we can be confident, however the final judge is God. I believe(much to my sorrow) that there have been and will be professing Christians who leave this life convinced that they would go to Heaven to be with God, and they did not. I know of one person who was part of a TV ministry and was well know, who joined a homosexual church and had the homosexual Pastor preach the funeral. The person obviously saw no problem with the arrangement, this was evidence of not really knowing the God of the bible but knowing the god of one's imagination.
 
I think we can be confident, however the final judge is God. I believe(much to my sorrow) that there have been and will be professing Christians who leave this life convinced that they would go to Heaven to be with God, and they did not. I know of one person who was part of a TV ministry and was well know, who joined a homosexual church and had the homosexual Pastor preach the funeral. The person obviously saw no problem with the arrangement, this was evidence of not really knowing the God of the bible but knowing the god of one's imagination.

what saddens me is you think you are better than that person. So he deserved hell

The law convicts you as just as evil as that person. You do not deserve heaven any more or less than he does.

I will not question if he was saved or not. Only God knows. But people sure love to throw stones anymore..

Let he who has no sin cast the first stone.
 
My assurance comes from a living Savior who lives in me and who has promised to complete the work HE has begun in me. It comes from a Savior who has promised to never leave me nor forsake me. A Savior who has me in His hand and has promised that no one, including myself, can remove me from it.

"I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand." John 10:28

If our salvation were dependent on ourselves, then we definitely shouldn’t have assurance. Thank God it isn’t. It is Christ who is our assurance. Salvation does not ultimately rest on our faithfulness, but on the faithfulness of Christ….who cannot deny Himself. The Christians assurance is rooted not in ourselves and our ability to somehow keep ourselves saved, but rather, it is firmly rooted in the unchanging character of God Himself.
 
Can one be absolutely CERTAIN of there own salvation? Ive heard that only absolute certainty is Gods and Gods alone....
We can be confident but do we have absolute knowledge that we are saved now and in the future.
One of our main challenges as Christians is to learn to trust the Lord. He will protect us.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Grace777x70
I think we can be confident, however the final judge is God. I believe(much to my sorrow) that there have been and will be professing Christians who leave this life convinced that they would go to Heaven to be with God, and they did not. I know of one person who was part of a TV ministry and was well know, who joined a homosexual church and had the homosexual Pastor preach the funeral. The person obviously saw no problem with the arrangement, this was evidence of not really knowing the God of the bible but knowing the god of one's imagination.

Would you think the same way for some pastor that had outbursts of anger in their life? Or that caused strife? Or that had malice towards others in the body of Christ that thought differently about a subject then they did?

These are all in the same list as works of the flesh as the homosexual one. All the works of the flesh bring destruction of some sort to us.
 
Some great scriptures above, but there are more:

And by this we know that we have come to know him, if we keep his commandments. (1 John 2:3)

We know that we have passed out of death into life, because we love the brothers. Whoever does not love abides in death.(1 John 3:14)

And God's steadfast faithfulness. As the Westminster confession puts it:

'An infallible assurance Faith, founded upon the Divine truth of the promises of salvation'.


Because God wanted to make the unchanging nature of his purpose very clear to the heirs of what was promised, he confirmed it with an oath. God did this so that, by two unchangeable things in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled to take hold of the hope set before us may be greatly encouraged. (Hebrews 6:17-18).


 
Can one be absolutely CERTAIN of there own salvation? Ive heard that only absolute certainty is Gods and Gods alone....
We can be confident but do we have absolute knowledge that we are saved now and in the future.

This, then, is how you ought to regard us: as servants of Christ and as those entrusted with the mysteries God has revealed. 2 Now it is required that those who have been given a trust must prove faithful. 3 I care very little if I am judged by you or by any human court; indeed, I do not even judge myself. 4 My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me. 5 Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time; wait until the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of the heart. At that time each will receive their praise from God.
1 Cor 4:1-5

The problem with being certain is it relies on our own feelings and understanding.
Paul was certain as a jew murdering christians he was doing Gods will.

Now we are often presumptious.

Jesus's answer was to wait until God spoke.

And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.”
Matt 3:17

While he was still speaking, a bright cloud covered them, and a voice from the cloud said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!”
Matt 17:5

Until we are read out from the Lambs book of life, we stand before the Lord
humble and awaiting His approval.

We have a guarantee in the seal of the Holy Spirit, Gods encouragement to our
hearts, our love of the people of God and things of God, our Praise of His works
and obedience unto righteousness.

But we are still awaiting our King and His confirmation on that day.

But I have seen people be emotionally knocked sideways by life, fall in faith,
and then recover. Some do not.

So I think we must always walk in humbleness knowing Gods grace on our lives,
and pray that we can survive whatever tests or trials come our way.

Some might feel even cc is a test of faith, certainly nothing can be taken for
granted. It has made me wonder how some can claim so much and contradict
the words of Christ so easily and actually be walking in the truth.

I hold in the end to the cross and love and trust Jesus will deliver on His promises.
 
Can one be absolutely CERTAIN of there own salvation? Ive heard that only absolute certainty is Gods and Gods alone....
We can be confident but do we have absolute knowledge that we are saved now and in the future.
I don't know how others handle this. I can pull scriptures out to boost my personal opinion, but I can also pull out scripture to disprove it too. (Well, out of context, of course.) But I know where my assurance came along in my life. I've walked away, yet God would not let me. He's got me in, sure and tight. So now? I don't want to walk away again.

So, yes, God has assured me. I'm sure he will have to do it again, but he's given me his word and his strength, so I know he has/is/will prove it.
 
Does assurance save us, or does faith in Christ save us?

I believe seeds are sown in peoples hearts that grow and sprout.
In some they bring about fruit that spreads everywhere and they cannot
contain it.

It is more about the daily walk, than saying do I have assurance.
It would be absurd to say they do not know God, because His word dwells within them,
they follow with their heart, they spread His word and share His love.

Or like saying does a football fan who goes to all the matches of their team, supports
everything they can need to show their love for their team. It is self evident.

What we are really talking about is self doubters, who grasp a little of Christ, and wonder
in and out of behaviour that enslaves and crushes their life and fruit.
Are they known or lost? On that day we will find out.
 
1 John 5:12-13
He who has the Son has the life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have the life. These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life.

John 5:24
"Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

Jude 1:24
Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling, and to make you stand in the presence of His glory blameless with great joy,

Romans 8:16
The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God,

Hebrews 7:25
Therefore He is able also to save forever those who draw near to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them.

John 10:29
"My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand.

Ephesians 4:30
Do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.

John 6:47
Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes has eternal life.

Romans 8:38-39
For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.


Here are some verses from the Bible believe it and receive it.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Grace777x70
1 John 5:12-13
He who has the Son has the life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have the life. These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life.

John 5:24
"Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

Jude 1:24
Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling, and to make you stand in the presence of His glory blameless with great joy,

Romans 8:16
The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God,

Hebrews 7:25
Therefore He is able also to save forever those who draw near to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them.

John 10:29
"My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand.

Ephesians 4:30
Do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.

John 6:47
Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes has eternal life.

Romans 8:38-39
For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.


Here are some verses from the Bible believe it and receive it.

Amen...well said...spoken like a "believing" believer in what Christ has already done.

As Jesus said "Will He find faith on the earth when He comes?"
 
Jesus came to die for us and our doubt is doubting God's ability. Do any of us really think that God is not able to save us? He is able and has done so now put those doubts aside and tell satan to go away with his lies in Jesus Name.
 
Does assurance save us, or does faith in Christ save us?

I believe seeds are sown in peoples hearts that grow and sprout.
In some they bring about fruit that spreads everywhere and they cannot
contain it.

It is more about the daily walk, than saying do I have assurance.
It would be absurd to say they do not know God, because His word dwells within them,
they follow with their heart, they spread His word and share His love.

Or like saying does a football fan who goes to all the matches of their team, supports
everything they can need to show their love for their team. It is self evident.

What we are really talking about is self doubters, who grasp a little of Christ, and wonder
in and out of behaviour that enslaves and crushes their life and fruit.
Are they known or lost? On that day we will find out.
Neither.

Jesus saves us.
 
Jesus came to die for us and our doubt is doubting God's ability. Do any of us really think that God is not able to save us? He is able and has done so now put those doubts aside and tell satan to go away with his lies in Jesus Name.
Same problem though. Yes. God is able to save. No. God does not save all. I've known/do know many who think they are saved, and yet they walked away thinking the one time yearning had been enough to get them on the Heaven Train.

Doubt isn't always a bad thing. I doubt I can jump off the high dive. Now, if I really wanted to jump off the high dive, I know I'd have to train to do so (relatively) safely.

God is able to save. It's still important to doubt ourselves, until/if that time God absolutely proves he has saved. And in that proof comes the perseverance and desire to keep on keeping on -- for him.
 
The beauty of the Christian life is that because we do know for sure, we can "draw near with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith" and "enter the holy place" (Heb. 10:19,22).