Astronomy

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Flannery

Active member
Mar 20, 2023
270
70
28
51
I was just thinking about the liturgical Calander. A European member of a State Church observes Holy Days that remember events in the life of Christ and does it on a different Calander than the Israelis observe their Holy Days. An Anglican for example, definitely has his alter adjusted to astronomical events (Resurrection Sunday is nearest the vernal equinox, for example, Christmas is at the Winter Solstice). It doesn't directly correlate to the time of year at which the events occurred, but the Orthodox Hebrews do it that way. What are your thoughts on Astronomical time? I know I've seen government jobs and government educations both using a Monday-Sunday Calander, which I'm sure would be exceedingly interesting to a Sunday or Saturday as the Sabbath debater, since it tries to make Sunday literally the seventh day of the week, without even including religious significance in its diary issues.

What do you think about the civil Calander, specifically? I'm sure you don't attend any High Holy Days, just Sunday morning sermons, but think about Election Day. It's required. How do you think NIST decided on the date of Elections?
 
Passover, on the 15th day of the Hebrew month of Nisan, is always on a full moon, and can fall on any day of the
week. On the other hand, Easter is set on the first Sunday following the first full moon after the vernal equinox.

When three hours of darkness fell over the land as Jesus was dying on the cross, nobody can
say it was due to a solar eclipse, since that is a cosmological impossibility during a full moon.
.:)
 
I was just thinking about the liturgical Calander. A European member of a State Church observes Holy Days that remember events in the life of Christ and does it on a different Calander than the Israelis observe their Holy Days. An Anglican for example, definitely has his alter adjusted to astronomical events (Resurrection Sunday is nearest the vernal equinox, for example, Christmas is at the Winter Solstice). It doesn't directly correlate to the time of year at which the events occurred, but the Orthodox Hebrews do it that way. What are your thoughts on Astronomical time? I know I've seen government jobs and government educations both using a Monday-Sunday Calander, which I'm sure would be exceedingly interesting to a Sunday or Saturday as the Sabbath debater, since it tries to make Sunday literally the seventh day of the week, without even including religious significance in its diary issues.

What do you think about the civil Calander, specifically? I'm sure you don't attend any High Holy Days, just Sunday morning sermons, but think about Election Day. It's required. How do you think NIST decided on the date of Elections?
Here you go Flannery.
I listened to a few good sermons and came across this yesterday.

Part way in, he covers the way Easter is calculated according to the lunar Hebrew calendar. If that's what you are looking for, this should help.
Have a great week.

Easter: Truth and Fiction
 
Here you go Flannery.
I listened to a few good sermons and came across this yesterday.

Part way in, he covers the way Easter is calculated according to the lunar Hebrew calendar. If that's what you are looking for, this should help.
Have a great week.

Easter: Truth and Fiction

Nice video, but his title is too blasé for me. The controversy over Easter isn't between truth and fiction, it's between believing that certain events have religious significance or disbelieving that same assertion. Passover originally remembered the saving of the Jewish firstborn sons from the angel of death during the last plague on Egypt. Calling it "Easter" is an atomic spelling, yes, Esther in the Court of Xerxes was able to prevent Hamn from hanging Mordecai, a Passover related event. But the crucifixion just after the last supper was also during the season of that festival, now why wasn't the firstborn of Israel saved? The answer is that Judas, a close disciple, betrayed him, in exactly the opposite manner to which Esther had intervened for Mordeci.

I'll agree that calling the Resurrection service "Easter" seems a bit out of place, I mean where was she? He died, unlike Haman and the firstborn sons of the Israelites in Egypt whose families had painted the blood on the doorframes.

By the way, Judaism also has a service that remembers the fall of Jerusalem and the destruction of the temple, including the death of the kingly line of Jesse, called Levant, but I won't go into that here just in case the church and state aren't separated enough in that for all you good Jeffersonians.
 
I dunno about all this Saturday and Sunday stuff. At my job the work "week" starts on Wednesday and ends on Tuesday. If you want a vacation that has two Saturdays and Sundays, it has to go on through the next Tuesday to get your vacation pay. But then... A week and a half vacation never bothered me.

By the way, Judaism also has a service that remembers the fall of Jerusalem and the destruction of the temple, including the death of the kingly line of Jesse, called Levant, but I won't go into that here just in case the church and state aren't separated enough in that for all you good Jeffersonians.
Hmm... Motive is starting to clear up a bit. :unsure:;)