At what point in a believers walk is the "old man" put to death?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Feb 28, 2016
we would say that we are 'still persons' who continually 'sin-less-and-less'...
:):)

Jimbone

Aug 22, 2014
Whoa, Jimbone!! :eek: Jesus NEVER puts us under a burden of guilt! :) Satan is the "accuser" of the brethren.

Romans 8:1 King James Version (KJV)
8 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

We sin when we "choose" the flesh. Keeping our focus on Jesus and falling more and more in love with Him is also a "choice" - LOVE is extremely powerful and can help us "choose" the Spirit instead of the flesh.

You are loved and accepted in the Beloved (Jesus). Just fall in love with Him and you'll start making right choices with the authority He has given you! :love:(y)
Well how do you know you're not "making the right choices" if there is no guilt? I'm not saying God "gives" us guilt, I agree Jesus breaks chain not "makes chains", no duh. So please don't warp what I'm saying here, but again "MY ONLY POINT THIS WHOLE TIME", is, in my opinion, we should declare the power of Jesus to change men so much more than declare "we always will sin", can you please grasp this simple concept. You don't have to agree but please let me know you understand what I'm saying with out teaching me, without correcting me, just please acknowledge you get what I'm saying here, it really has NOTHING to do with guilt, so just say you understand I am saying proclaim the power of God to change, not jam mans power to continue to sin and resist God down my throat every time you open your mouth. (not speaking of "you", just generally) I do not see how any reborn Christian can disagree with this honestly, but apparently this is a "touchy subject". Proclaim His power and victory, not "I still sin". I'll admit its only my opinion, but goodness gracious I can't see how it's "controversial" at all.

Why is everyone so scared of guilt? God is serious about sin and is not ALL love, He is also perfect justice and people need to hear this. This is WHY Jesus even came, we are DOOMED without Him, it's NOT all hold hands rainbow land, sin is serious and if you are sinning guilt is a blessing to you. I don't fear my Fathers correction, I welcome it and praise Jesus mighty Name for it. The best experience He ever granted me I felt I was in His presents broken on my face with my eyes squeezed shut not daring to even think about peeking at His glory. I loved this more than anything else that has ever happen to me, and ALL my sin was exposed in this moment.

On my morning walks with Him I love it when He points out the things I need to correct, and coming to Him knowing I messed up is not easy, and I do feel ashamed, but I still know I can go to Him and do. He helps me think these things out, and guides me showing me how to change them, so I am molded more into His image. These things leave me in awe, and I thank Him so much for caring for us who don't deserve it.

This is just a little more insight into where I'm coming from so please just tell me you understand my only point, I think we should be speaking of His power to overcome sin, not our unbreakable enslavement to sin, and by extension, His lack of power to change it.

Jimbone

Aug 22, 2014
Lafftur I think I kind of misunderstood what you were saying in your comment. Honestly I think that misunderstanding kind of made the whole tone of my reply off. Another short coming of text communication, but I actually agree 100% with you, and do not think you "misunderstood" my main point at all, so that whole point I was making in my last comment I guess I was speaking to the wall because you weren't even talking about this. :censored: I don't know what I was thinking when I read it the first time. I just wanted to apologize for coming out of left field like a mad man speak about things never brought up. I'd delete the whole thing if I could, even though I do stand behind what I said, it just doesn't seem to have anything at all to do with what you said. Sorry I'm crazy.o_O

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Lafftur I think I kind of misunderstood what you were saying in your comment. Honestly I think that misunderstanding kind of made the whole tone of my reply off. Another short coming of text communication, but I actually agree 100% with you, and do not think you "misunderstood" my main point at all, so that whole point I was making in my last comment I guess I was speaking to the wall because you weren't even talking about this. :censored: I don't know what I was thinking when I read it the first time. I just wanted to apologize for coming out of left field like a mad man speak about things never brought up. I'd delete the whole thing if I could, even though I do stand behind what I said, it just doesn't seem to have anything at all to do with what you said. Sorry I'm crazy.o_O
Hello Jimbone, :love:

You are absolutely a delightful breath of fresh air! I think you are wonderful and I am so glad you are my brother in Christ! :love:(y)

The only words I shall remember that you posted are as follows:

On my morning walks with Him I love it when He points out the things I need to correct, and coming to Him knowing I messed up is not easy, and I do feel ashamed, but I still know I can go to Him and do. He helps me think these things out, and guides me showing me how to change them, so I am molded more into His image. These things leave me in awe, and I thank Him so much for caring for us who don't deserve it.
You must know that you have made me smile and laugh at the same time! Hugs for you! :giggle:(y)

Jimbone

Aug 22, 2014
Hello Jimbone, :love:

You are absolutely a delightful breath of fresh air! I think you are wonderful and I am so glad you are my brother in Christ! :love:(y)

The only words I shall remember that you posted are as follows:

You must know that you have made me smile and laugh at the same time! Hugs for you! :giggle:(y)
This made my day man, and me too. Praise Jesus for His love, mercy, guidance, and most of all I'm learning more each day, for each other.:love:(y)(y):D

Feb 28, 2016
it's always on an individual basis, according to Yeshua's plan - some sooner in their journey and some later,
always according to the life that they have lived and the baggage that they have to 'over-come' -
regardless, it's all the most wonderful, un-imaginable, beautiful thing that could ever happen
to a human being, when they are called out of this pit of the world that we are born into and
chosen to be reconciled to The only meaningful Thing is this world, our Holy, Saviour, The Only One
who deliberately choses us to become a part of His Holy, Glorious, Heavenly Family for ever...

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
I go to my college , i see an atheist being kind and feeling bad about people's ailments (i am a medical student)..but within me there is no feelings...there is just a burden ...just a 'need' to be kind...a 'need' to do good...like a burden within me. I pray and ask for God to give me a heart like His ...and i have been waiting ....impatiently though. I just...don't get it. The light shines in the dark....but there is no darkness sometimes to let the light shine i feel...or maybe there is no light to lit a bright room to even brighter room ....i don't know. I just don't know. Sometimes i feel lower than these atheists who love better than me. But yes many a times i meet the ones who hate , who lie , who ridicule , who scoff , who envy , who exclude people from their 'groups' and hate God...yes but..
Correct me. i don't mind. Scold me if need be.
Thanks.
Alright ..in my mind i am thinking i will just read my Bible now...
Milee, as we mature more as Christians we become astonished at how bad are sin natures try to control us. The very fact that your sin nature does distress you, shows us God is dealing with it. Those atheists that you think love better than you are just an illusion. Deep down they are very much into their own ego but they have found more acceptance by treating people better. That give an illusion of love.

Paul speaks of his sin nature in Romans: Rom. 7:12-15
"So the law is holy, and the commandment is holy and righteous and good. Did that which is good, then, bring death to me? By no means! It was sin, producing death in me through what is good, in order that sin might be shown to be sin, and through the commandment might become sinful beyond measure. For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am of the flesh, sold under sin. For I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate."

He then talks about how his flesh contains no good thing and their his own sinful desires remind him how unlike God he is. He also laments his ability to do good:
Rom. 7:16-19
"Now if I do what I do not want, I agree with the law, that it is good. So now it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me. For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out. For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing."

Then he shows us how the law points out our sinful nature and our struggle with it: Rom. 7:20-24
"Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me. So I find it to be a law that when I want to do right, evil lies close at hand. For I delight in the law of God, in my inner being, but I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members. Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?"

With this picture we see how worthy of death we really are. Unbelievers will happily wallow in this sinful mud hole but it will torment us until we look at the cross. Rom. 7:25
"Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin."

What is thanking God for is the finished work of the cross. He realizes he has already been delivered from his death body. Rom. 7:25
"Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin."

Finally, he makes us realize if we are seeking the ways of the Spirit we are blameless: Rom. 8:1, 2
"There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death." :cool:

Feb 28, 2016
for some, the 'death of the old man' comes sooner than the 'death of the old man' than others,
this is very evident in the many Biblical Stories in our Holy Bible...