Atheist mega-"churches"

  • Thread starter Thread starter CRC
  • Start date Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
C

CRC

Guest
Whether they have observed the hypocrisy of religion or not, many atheists simply cannot reconcile belief in God with the suffering in the world. Simone de Beauvoir once said: “It was easier for me to think of a world without a creator than of a creator loaded with all the contradictions of the world.”
Do the world’s injustices—including those instigated by hypocritical religionists—prove that there is no God? Consider: If a knife is used to threaten, injure, or even murder an innocent person, does this prove that the knife had no designer? Does it not rather show that the object was put to a wrong use? Likewise, much of human grief gives evidence that humans are misusing their God-given abilities as well as the earth itself.
Some, however, feel that it is illogical to believe in God, since we cannot see him. But what about air, sound waves, and odors? We cannot see any of these things, yet we know they exist. Our lungs, ears, and noses tell us so. Surely, we believe in what cannot be seen if we have evidence.
After contemplating the physical evidence—including electrons, protons, atoms, amino acids, and the complex brain—natural scientist Irving William Knobloch was moved to say: “I believe in God because to me His Divine existence is the only logical explanation for things as they are.” (Compare Psalm 104:24.) Similarly, physiologist Marlin Books Kreider states: “Both as an ordinary human being, and also as a man devoting his life to scientific study and research, I have no doubt at all about the existence of God.”
These men are not alone. According to physics professor Henry Margenau, “if you take the top-notch scientists, you find very few atheists among them.” Neither the advances of science nor the failure of religion need force us to abandon belief in a Creator
 
I am coming back to Christianity because I am seeking tools to better myself and some of the latest science while doesn't prove or disprove the existence of God strongly suggests that having an ability to pass off stress to a benevolent being is a very powerful thing and helps us relive stress and nervous tension and makes us far more effective in day to day- so the concept of taking our problems to Jesus is a very healthy one even from a pschological perspective. Check out Olivia Fox the charisma myth

I find the concept of aethestic church a very empty one as it doesn't give me that function. It seems like its more like a celebration of life and having fun with like minded people which is great when we feel good but how does that help us when the chips are down....

I always thought an atheistic "religion" would focus on the achievements of science and man. I read a lot of aethestic material and to be honest it was depressing because it was very compelling but to the likes of Richard Dawkins I ask what do you replace it with? Friends and family? You might be a decent gentle person who can cope with this but what about people such as me who need guidance- I'd be inclined to put people I don't like to the sword, destroy cultures I don't like and generally be a prick. Which has been caused into myself by extreme turmoil and conflict - Jesus gives me the power to cope and deal, no concept such as shared humanity, loving peace etc I am a creature of passion, duty and honor. I simply didn't care about people outside my circle if I found thier charactures milignant or unpleasant and would feel nothing to intimidate and dominate them. obviously towards nicer people i am nice but in my experience in this day that is less common. Jesus gave me the power to see common humanity, nay he commanded me - without this I would never have taken the steps to change my ways

I tried to eliminate conflict etc with more non religious disciplines such as meditation, cognetive therapy, but I still couldn't deal with all the anger and hate- there was no where to put it. Then I started to pray and pray and believe me the difference is huge.




Any aethestic religion will fail until the solve the above- which I'm not sure they can. Like many other things religion is a discipline and some disciplines should remain seperate, when I am looking at science I use science, when I seek to fulfill spiritual needs I look to Jesus

I wil differentiate Christianity and Islam from other rubbish like tarot cards, Scientology talking to the dead and superstitions, however as they don't have this key function

So when people try to talk about this or that or reconcile science and Jesus etc it simply isn't important- it's all a matter of perspective remember that you have a very powerful tool to work your mind even in a secular sense- salvation is the cherry on top.

I'm keen to debate and discuss these topics in detail as I return to a Christian life and I'm new on this site and looking for some non secular friends lol so feel free to Pm me
 
As aside thinking about the Holy Spirit as i write the above post has calmed me down significantly and filled me with some peace after a stressful and crappy day.