Attitudes toward drinking

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Frontios1996

Mar 30, 2017
What's your attitude to drinking?

I've always been fairly careful with my drinking, I normally have a beer after work on Friday, and occasionally like to go to the bar with friends on Saturday night with friends, when I probably have 3 rum and cokes over two hours.

I know my limits, and I go out of my way to never stray or even get close to my limits.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
There are people who consistently drink too much/have a drinking problem; then there are those who don't drink at all and have a problem with anyone who drinks at all. These are the two extremes. I don't have a problem with drinking in moderation.

What does the Bible say about drinking alcohol / wine? Is it a sin for a Christian to drink alcohol / wine?

https://www.gotquestions.org/sin-alcohol.html

Feb 7, 2015
It would make no sense, at all, for the Bible to warn of drinking in excess if drinking, period, was forbidden.

Jan 10, 2018
I'm my church community, we are told to stay away from drinking all together, because the bible does say that drinking strong drink is for he that is perishing or in anguish, and how as a king, Lemuel was advised to not drink strong drinks. I like to see myself as a king, because that is what I am. But I don't think God frowns on drinking alcohol in general. I think it's a moral issue, not a sin. Try not to drink so often, and try not to get drunk, know how much you can handle. That's my take

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
Well on holidays we go out and have a glas of champagne or so. It's not allowed to be drunk and loose control. As long as u know ur limits and keep them i dont think theres a problem

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
Well on holidays we go out and have a glas of champagne or so. It's not allowed to be drunk and loose control. As long as u know ur limits and keep them i dont think theres a problem
Is the drinking age in Germany 16? I know it's 18 in Mexico.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
Champagne, beer and wine 16 because its called soft alcohol. Anything else like whiskey, Bacardi 18 as its called hard alcohol
Interesting. Thanks for the info Demi! :)

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
Oh and with 13 u can drink a beer if ur parents are with u.
I think I had my first beer at age 15 (with my dad) but that was not actually legal in the US. He had a bar in our house and he definitely had a drinking problem! I'm surprised that I did not follow down that road as well. I had a lot of interest in being healthy, so alcohol remained a moderate thing for me.

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
I think I had my first beer at age 15 (with my dad) but that was not actually legal in the US. He had a bar in our house and he definitely had a drinking problem! I'm surprised that I did not follow down that road as well. I had a lot of interest in being healthy, so alcohol remained a moderate thing for me.
Well many people in my family are drinkers or were drinkers on both sides of my family. That in mind keeps me away from it most of the time. Most of the time i drink kiba which is a mix of cherry and banana juice. Lol

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
Well many people in my family are drinkers or were drinkers on both sides of my family. That in mind keeps me away from it most of the time. Most of the time i drink kiba which is a mix of cherry and banana juice. Lol
I grew up in a Roman Catholic household so drinking was not only permissible, it was strongly encouraged! When I first became a Christian, I attended a Baptist church, which condemned drinking, yet many of those people who attended that Baptist church still drink at times (but only admitted it behind closed doors).

There is a joke that goes like this and I completely get it: "The difference between Catholics and Baptists (in regards to alcohol is) Catholics will actually acknowledge each other at the liquor store." lol :D

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
I grew up in a Roman Catholic household so drinking was not only permissible, it was strongly encouraged! When I first became a Christian, I attended a Baptist church, which condemned drinking, yet many of those people who attended that Baptist church still drink at times (but only admitted it behind closed doors).

There is a joke that goes like this and I completely get it: "The difference between Catholics and Baptists (in regards to alcohol is) Catholics will actually acknowledge each other at the liquor store." lol :D
Yes you posted that one before. One of my great uncles is a free will baptist preacher. His son has to hide whiskey between wood and stuff tho he is aan adult so he can have a drink without trouble. Thats just sad.
My bf had problems with alcohol until i came around because of depression and stuff but he got over that.
And i watched my dad becoming more or less a drinker due to His then girlfriend/now wife.

Prov910

Jan 10, 2017
Is the drinking age in Germany 16? I know it's 18 in Mexico.
fyi, There's no minimum drinking age China—for all practical purposes. I think there's a law on the books that sets 18 years as the age. But it's not enforced hardly anywhere.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
fyi, There's no minimum drinking age China—for all practical purposes. I think there's a law on the books that sets 18 years as the age. But it's not enforced hardly anywhere.
I've heard the logic, "if you're old enough to get drafted (age 18) then you're old enough to have a beer."

Frontios1996

Mar 30, 2017
For some insight, the drinking age is 18 in Australia. My first drink was the night before my 18th birthday, when my dad gave me a vodka orange to give me a preview

EmilyNats

Jul 28, 2016
People who have a problem stopping should probably stay away from drinking altogether. But it is being a drunk, not drinking, that is a sin.

Socreta93

Jul 28, 2015
Well I don't drink but that is my choice. Drinking a little alcohol is fine but you wouldn't catch anyone in my church drinking beer. We're told to stay away from that stuff. My friends do drink on occasion but from what I know they don't get drunk. I remember making a thread s year and a half ago when I came back full time about how I was against drinking. I still am but I won't judge you anymore.

Drinking is ok but getting drunk is bad. It's probably why we're told not to drink beer, better to abstain and not risk it.