Avenged Sevenfold

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
B

BeauBLESSED

What of them? Do you think they could be a band of Christian faith, or merely one that likes to toss around the subject of Christianity (lyrics that include God, prayer, etc.)? They use a lot of crude words and sexual themes in their music (I made sure not to post any of those ;)), however I am fascinated by themes of Christianity despite this.

Here are some songs that stand out to me in this aspect:
Afterlife: YouTube - Afterlife-Avenged Sevenfold [Lyrics] (bear with this one)
Gunslinger: YouTube - Avenged Sevenfold - Gunslinger Lyrics (about a soldier at war... I love it)
Dear God: YouTube - Dear God by Avenged Sevenfold *Lyrics* (has to be the most friendliest song of all... they made it all country-like!!)

Please tell me what you think. :)
God bless and have a good day.

I

inallhonesty6541

These guys really confuse me...they have so much Christian themed lyrics, yet I was at one of their concerts and they were selling shirts that said "god hates us". Not sure what to think of that...its obviously wrong but I dont get why they would be praying one minute and then telling the world that God hates everyone the next...kinda messed up.

B

BeauBLESSED

I know! I don't like that combination of words as an idea for a song title or anything... I got a copy of 'Nightmare' and deleted the song because I hated scanning through my MP3 player and seeing "God Hates Us" staring back at me. -_-
And you're right: it is wrong. God is love! :)
How was the concert, shirts aside?

I

inallhonesty6541

The concert was decent. I'm not a huge fan, my friend made me go haha. They put on a great show but i'd much rather go to a concert with the message "god loves us"

Jan 15, 2011
I really like Avenged Sevenfold, but I certainly wouldn't call them christian. You really only need to look at the lyrics for Beast and the Harlot(living and partying in babylon) or Little Piece of Heaven(themes i could only mention in PM and even then not likely to discuss) to figure that out. I think the represent a more worldly spirituality/theology. They obviously acknowledge there is a God and I would be willing to bet they even acknowledge our God. But they dont adhere to the tenets of christianity. This is also just my opinion and i could be wrong.

Jan 15, 2011
In an interview for Skratch Magazine M. Shadows said "the name itself comes from the Bible. It's basically the first murder on Earth between Cain and Abel. [The name is a] 'what goes around, comes around' sort of thing. And just so there is no confusion, Avenged Sevenfold is not a religious band."[59][original research?] The part of the bible where the name comes is Genesis (King James Bible) – specifically Genesis 4:15, where Cain is sentenced to life in exile for murdering his brother. "And the LORD said unto him, Therefore whosoever slayeth Cain, vengeance shall be taken on him sevenfold. And the LORD set a mark upon Cain, lest any finding him should kill him".[60][original research?] The abbreviation "A7X" for their band name was the idea of guitarist Zacky Vengeance. The title of Avenged Sevenfold's song "Chapter Four" refers to the fourth chapter of Genesis, in which the story of Cain and Abel takes place. The song's subject also appears to be this story. "Beast and the Harlot", yet another song derived from the Bible, comes from the Book of Revelation only it is written in the first person and refers to the punishment of Babylon the Great, world empire and seat of false religion.
Another biblical reference occurs in the song "The Wicked End". In this song, several times it is said "dust the apple off, savor each bite, and deep inside you know Adam was right." making reference to Eve eating the forbidden fruit. Although the band's title and members' stage names make references to religion, Shadows stated in an interview that they are not a religious band. "Anyone that reads the lyrics and really knew anything about us, they would know we're not promoting either," he said. "That's one thing about this band that I love is that we never really shove any kind of, like, political or religious beliefs on people. We just, the music's there to entertain and maybe thought-provoking on both sides, but we don't try to, like, really shove anything down anyone's throat. There's too many bands that do that nowadays, I think."[61] The band has a few songs that are somewhat political in nature like "Critical Acclaim", "Gunslinger" and "Blinded in Chains". The song "Betrayed" off of their album City of Evil was written about "Dimebag Darrell's death".

B

BeauBLESSED

The concert was decent. I'm not a huge fan, my friend made me go haha. They put on a great show but i'd much rather go to a concert with the message "god loves us"
Well that makes you a pretty good friend! :) And I absolutely agree; as said, the aforementioned is a very disheartening phrase to have read or recited.

I really like Avenged Sevenfold, but I certainly wouldn't call them christian. You really only need to look at the lyrics for Beast and the Harlot(living and partying in babylon) or Little Piece of Heaven(themes i could only mention in PM and even then not likely to discuss) to figure that out. I think the represent a more worldly spirituality/theology. They obviously acknowledge there is a God and I would be willing to bet they even acknowledge our God. But they dont adhere to the tenets of christianity. This is also just my opinion and i could be wrong.
Understandable. As a matter of fact, I read via Wikipedia that A7X don't call themselves a religious group... twice in one paragraph which means they must be serious about it. :\
Haha! 'A Little Piece Of Heaven' is the very song that I was considering posting here... but of course I decided against that, potentially saving my account. lol
It's a catchy song though. I like the brass section; reminds me of Panic At The Disco. ^-^
Your opinion is very much welcome here; I did invite people to discuss the topic and as such one's personal judgment is likely to come into play. I think your view of their music as being that of a worldly theology or spirituality is probably as accurate as it could come. Thanks for posting. :)

Also, a general comment here: I watched the video for Bat Country a short while ago... I wouldn't recommend it to anyone through this website, nor would I anyone who is Christian, 'nuff said!
I didn't think too much of the scantily clad women in it but the tentacles and snake tongues were repulsive. -_-

P

Peter321

Never really was a fan of the band, but i just had to watch the clip Little Piece of Heaven, and i think it'll be 100% clear for you if they're a christian band or not after watching that video.

Jan 15, 2011
Never really was a fan of the band, but i just had to watch the clip Little Piece of Heaven, and i think it'll be 100% clear for you if they're a christian band or not after watching that video.
Oh know I now...lol THat song is terribly hilarious. Aka its terrible, but still somewhat funny.

B

BeauBLESSED

I just now saw your second post Banister... I read that on Wikipedia; I have to say it's all very fascinating.

Of course I understand the crude nature of said song, as was discussed, but it would be fair to say that I enjoy it most for it's instrumentation.

F

fraco180

in my opinion, Avenged Sevenfold is great.their lead singer, M. Shawdows and their deceased drummer, The Rev, were both christians. the others i am not so sure. but, they got the idea of "Avenged Sevenfold" from the bible. as seen in Genisis 4: 24. their themes of prayer, and biblical meanings are because of the fact that The Rev was their most prominent song writer.
but songs such as little peice of heaven, they are a metal band. sad but true, it happens

U

Ugly

Simply saying they believe in God or using religious sounding titles doesn't qualify a band as Christian. Lots of bands in the metal scene have religious influences, often from their upbringing, that they don't actively follow.
I never gave them much of a listen, i always thought they looked pretty cheesy. I did try to watch a video of theirs once, it was so full of half naked women and sexuality i didn't even finish it.

N

ness

Dang I love this Band <3 :)!

N

ness

Dang I love this Band <3 :)! Some of There music's bad But good music 2. This Band isnt a christian Band but it has God Revolving music once in a while . But honestly If u listen to " a little piece of heaven u will know for a fact Jus listening to the lyrics they are not just a christian band. But they are a good song in other terms but what band doesn't have a bad song or 2 / :) jus my opinion

K

Kooper

I will say one thing about this band. The lead singer sounds cool. Now only if we can get him to join the walk on the narrow path. :p

P

permen

They use a lot of crude words and sexual themes in their music
That's the reason why i don't like this band, alot of my friends like this band just because of the guitarist "Sysnster Gates" lol
anyway, i'd rather go with Skillet :)

Last edited:
I

ironwolf935

The song is meant to describe the inner torment of losing a loved one. When someone close to you dies, you feel helpless and alone, and you tend to wonder why God would take someone from you.

One of their band members, Jimmy 'The Rev' Sullivan, died of a proscription drug overdose before the album 'Nightmare' was released. This obviously devastated the band members, along with many fans (such as myself).

The lyrics 'God hates us' are used to portray the inner anguish and grief they are suffering from. It says that God wouldn't take such a major part of our lives away if he truly loved us. Therefore, their rage is leading them to believe 'God hates us'.

It also shows these emotions deeper in the song, listing them in order. 'Love! Hate! Fear!'

Love: You loved the person who was close to you and are devastated they are gone.

Hate: You are enraged at the world and, in turn, God, because this happened. People who lose a loved one start to hate everything around them because of this.

Fear: You are afraid to face reality and accept your loved one's death. You isolate yourself from the outside world as a result.

Hope this helped.

Z

zaoman32

I saw them way back in the day shortly after waking the fallen. There's a line in the song unholy confessions, "I know the way to go, but there's no God in me." I don't know how much clearer you can get. I'm not going to say they're all evil and you should never listen to that garbage, but use some wisdom too. If they've made it clear in their lyrics they don't follow God, and they constantly use themes of sexual immorality, violence, and anger, then it's pretty clear they're not christians regardless of how many christian themed references they have. Machine Head has a song called Be Still and Know, of which the lyrics are very bible based, but they also have a song on the same CD stating that God never answered them, and a song on a previous album stating "This lifetime of sorrow, God let the angels die". Again, pretty obvious they're not christians. Contemplating whether or not a band is "christian" despite the band making it very clear they aren't only leads to self-deception and delusion.

Sep 8, 2012
Avenged Sevenfold?
Tattoos and steroids.
- Two ensigns of men minding the spirit and not the flesh.
- - I'm sure they love the Lord though.:confused:

Z

zaoman32

Oh my goodness! The have tattoos?! Those heathens!