Baptism by Fire

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

What is the baptism of/by/with fire?

• refers to the day of Pentecost

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • refers to the Holy Spirit’s office as energizer/purifier for believers

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • refers to judgment

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WordGaurdian

May 1, 2011
it doesn't say He was baptised with fire: that's the point.

and i realize we can't base the christian's experience on The Lord's, but i wondered if there was a clue per the OP.

since Jesus was baptised both by John (water) and by The Holy Spirit (John saw the dove), in keeping with Matthew 3:11:

Matthew 3:11
"I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me will come one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not fit to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire.

.....i wondered if we would see Him also baptised with fire.

perhaps this examination could be better applied to all the people mentioned in scripture who repent, and are baptised: does it say they are also baptised with fire?
Not to my knowledge. Which is why I've founded so troublesome for some time (not having the greek text before) There is mentioning of tongues of fire that came upon the disciples but that was when they were Baptised with the Holy Spirit. Which I could even accept as proof. But here is the confusing part.

In 1 John 5
It says there are 3 witnesses in heaven , The Father, The Son and the Holy Spirit. And these 3 are one.
And 3 witnesses on earth, being the blood, the Spirit and the Water. And these 3 agree as one.

Now the fact that they agree as one immediately tells us that they are 3 different events. Which could happen within a second of each other, but also could be seperated by time, but they agree as one.

The blood, is clearly an indication of the Blood of Jesus, where we get saved by Jesus.
Spirit, baptism by the Holy Spirit.
Water, baptism by Water.

Here is the problem...no fire.

And if we were to say that the Spirit were fire...then the scripture doesn't make sense. Cause then it would read He would baptise you with the Holy Spirit and the (Holy Spirit).

See why I say there is a small problem.

But if you see as He baptise you with the Spirit (Holy and to-fire) it makes more sense.
It could be that this to-fire means something different than purification. I merely stated that, since PURI is a root word for purification. (I have a Greek friend). But again, I don't say that is what it means, I am merely suggesting a concept.

See if there was in 1 John 5 the blood, the water, the Spirit and the fire. No that would make it a different story. Then we know for a fact that fire has its own place...

Any thoughts on this one...