Baptism by water

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Isaskar

Nov 13, 2021
This debate is mostly a western one, a new one that developed because people believe in salvation as something you grab as you go and continue on. Its like grabbing a cup of coffee at starbucks. Got salvation now, cya buddy.

Stop debating baptism or if its necessary, Jesus and the apostles told us to be baptized, that is the end of it. If everyone just got baptized like they used to, this debate would die out by itself. But unfortunately today we have hyper dispensationalists who teach water baptism is to not be done AT ALL, and believe me, some do teach that, look it up. Its the "acts 15" or "acts 9" dispensationalists a lot of times.

jb

Feb 27, 2010
We have to many man made writings of baptism and that is the reason for so many opinions.......... which did not exist before the 1960's..........We need to stick with God's word concerning baptism;

Baptism is Required

Peter 3: 21.... whereunto even baptism doth also now save us...

John 3:5 .......Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Acts 2;38-....Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Acts 22;16... And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

Galations 3:26...... For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

KJV Marrk 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

KJV Matthew 3:14... But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me? 15. Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now, for thus it becometh us to fulfil all rightesousness. Then He suffered Him.

KJV Matthew 28:19..... Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:.

Acts 8:12-18: But when they believed Philip as he preached the things concerning the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, both men and women were baptized.

Acts 19:4 And Paul said, “John baptized with the baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in the one who was to come after him, that is, Jesus.”

John 3; 22 After these things came Jesus and his disciples into the land of Judaea; and there he tarried with them, and baptized.
23 And John also was baptizing in Aenon near to Salim, because there was much water there: and they came, and were baptized.

Quote from Billy Graham that is note worthy;
....Also, to clarify I did not say remission of sin takes place at repentance. Scripture makes it clear that it occurs upon obedience to water baptism in the name of the Lord Jesus. Each is a step of faith, along with receiving the Holy Ghost, in the process of one's spiritual rebirth

.."Paul explains the doctrinal significance of what occurs when one is baptized.His explanation is found in his letter to those who had already been obedient to the command.

Paul tells the Roman Christians what actually occurred when they were/are baptized; they were baptized into His death. Being buried with Jesus into His death resulted in their sin being destroyed.

Even though Paul explains this concept, the NEW AGE RELIGION TEACHING is......... that water baptism is nothing other than a mere public display.......... And that is so far removed from the truth.

......If you were baptized for some reason other than for forgiveness of sins in order to be ...born again... then you do not have salvation and you are still lost. Who are you going to follow: God or man? As our Lord warns us in Matthew 15:14, "And if the blind lead the blind, both will fall into a ditch." Don't allow someone, who has added to and taken away from God's word, to lead you. Open your eyes and read God's word for yourself. Those who have added to and taken away from God's word will be lost. If you continue to follow them, then you too will be lost.

Keep in mind that Satan knows if he can continue to perpetuate that lie ...... he can keep people from entering the kingdom of God. Thus He has proven scripture which says ...in the end times there will be ...great delusions.....they are here.

Conclusion....teaching that baptism is not necessary is violation of Rev. 22;19.... And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book. 20 He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus. (Also two other books of the Bible).
The study I linked IS based on the FULL teaching on water baptism in the Scriptures!

Climb down from your high horse, and don't be so condescending!

May 22, 2020
What about the context of Romans (OR Colossians) makes you believe that it refers to water baptism?
Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; (ACTS3)
again, does that sound like water to you?

Who get buried in water? Was Jesus buried in water? He wasn't even buried in dirt. His body was wrapped in linen and put in a tomb.

Is water baptism the circumcision made without hands? No- it's from the Spirit.

Did you become the part of the body and his bride by being in water, or by his spirit being in you? Are you his bride through water? Do you walk in the spirit, mortifying the deeds of the flesh through the power of water?

Is it "in order to receive" remission of sin, or "because of" remission of sin? Simply believing one and not the other without justification isn't faith; it's laziness.

Both Romans 6 and Colossians 2 are about being dead to sin by walking in the spirit- I see nothing to do with water anywhere there at all.

I doubt it is our ability to tell God where to put what in scriptures;

Baptism is Required

John 3:5 .......Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Acts 2;38-....Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Acts 22;16... And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

Galations 3:26...... For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

KJV Marrk 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

KJV Matthew 3:14... But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me? 15. Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now, for thus it becometh us to fulfil all rightesousness. Then He suffered Him.

KJV Matthew 28:19..... Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:.

Acts 8:12-18: But when they believed Philip as he preached the things concerning the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, both men and women were baptized.

Acts 19:4 And Paul said, “John baptized with the baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in the one who was to come after him, that is, Jesus.”

John 3; 22 After these things came Jesus and his disciples into the land of Judaea; and there he tarried with them, and baptized.
23 And John also was baptizing in Aenon near to Salim, because there was much water there: and they came, and were baptized.

....Also, to clarify I did not say remission of sin takes place at repentance. Scripture makes it clear that it occurs upon obedience to water baptism in the name of the Lord Jesus. Each is a step of faith, along with receiving the Holy Ghost, in the process of one's spiritual rebirth

.."Paul explains the doctrinal significance of what occurs when one is baptized.His explanation is found in his letter to those who had already been obedient to the command.

Paul tells the Roman Christians what actually occurred when they were/are baptized; they were baptized into His death. Being buried with Jesus into His death resulted in their sin being destroyed.

Even though Paul explains this concept, the NEW AGE RELIGION TEACHING is......... that water baptism is nothing other than a mere public display.......... And that is so far removed from the truth.

......If you were baptized for some reason other than for forgiveness of sins in order to be ...born again... then you do not have salvation and you are still lost. Who are you going to follow: God or man? As our Lord warns us in Matthew 15:14, "And if the blind lead the blind, both will fall into a ditch." Don't allow someone, who has added to and taken away from God's word, to lead you. Open your eyes and read God's word for yourself. Those who have added to and taken away from God's word will be lost. If you continue to follow them, then you too will be lost.

Keep in mind that Satan knows if he can continue to perpetuate that lie ...... he can keep people from entering the kingdom of God. Thus He has proven scripture which says ...in the end times there will be ...great delusions.....they are here.

Conclusion....teaching that baptism is not necessary is violation of Rev. 22;19.... And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book. 20 He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus. (Also two other books of the Bible).

May 22, 2020
This debate is mostly a western one, a new one that developed because people believe in salvation as something you grab as you go and continue on. Its like grabbing a cup of coffee at starbucks. Got salvation now, cya buddy.

Stop debating baptism or if its necessary, Jesus and the apostles told us to be baptized, that is the end of it. If everyone just got baptized like they used to, this debate would die out by itself. But unfortunately today we have hyper dispensationalists who teach water baptism is to not be done AT ALL, and believe me, some do teach that, look it up. Its the "acts 15" or "acts 9" dispensationalists a lot of times.

You have zeroed in on the facts.

The new age religion thinking is clearly involved in the attempts to change scriptures....at any costs...even being seen as ridiculous is ok to them.
Our research to date suggest this phenomenon began in the 1960's along with new age religion bibles slanted to the left teachings.

We haven't seen anything yet.

May 22, 2020
The study I linked IS based on the FULL teaching on water baptism in the Scriptures!

It is bad when you can't defend your teaching...so attack the messenger....when in fact it is God you are lambasting.

Take it up with Him...those are His scriptures....do you have the courage to do that?
I doubt it.

May 22, 2020

Why teachings of man...why not just implore the scriptures intended to support God's commandment for water baptism. There is plenty offered.

Aug 2, 2021
I do not believe I have ever said anything to the effect that water baptism is not important, and I would thank you not to spread such falsehoods about me. This has been done before by those who lack understanding of what is actually being said: taking away, adding to, doing the very things they say we should not do, such as Peldom, who is like a broken record not just with his posts, but with his repeatedly disagreeing with Scripture, and then acting as if it is inconceivable that any Christian should disagree with Scripture. It gets to the point where if it were not so pathetic it would be hilarious how blind he is to his own obvious folly and hypocrisy, while he mounts a mask of mock solicitude through which he falsely accuse others of the very things he does.

Saying what you have simply shows that you miss a distinction that is perceived by others.

Water is not mentioned in any of the Scriptures you posted above. To me, that is prevalent and plain. Whereas I see water being related to the Holy Spirit of God, and the greatest man of all time telling us that Jesus, Who is greater still than John by far, so much so that John is unworthy even to untie the strap of His sandal, would baptize us with the Holy Spirit, and with fire. That is what cleanses us, and Scripture plainly states that, also. We are told of this cleansing long before the NT; I have posted the relevant verses from Ezekiel quite a few times in these recent discussions on baptism. Likewise there are a plethora of Scriptures that attest to our justification and salvation being by faith alone, in Christ alone, Who Himself fulfilled all righteousness. That water is implied or inferred in some verses I do not deny either, something some of those who adhere to a contrary view refuse to do in admitting that water is not mentioned in many of the verses they believe bolster their case.

I realize people believe things because they think they are right. How some arrive at their conclusions is questionable.

Ephesians 4:5-6
:)
Ditto

Aug 2, 2021

You sound like a broken record...
the SONG to Play that is NEVER broken is 'Nothing but the Blood of Jesus'

ALL 'water baptists' need to sing this song 3x a Day for 7 Days and then READ the New Testament AGAIN

Likewise He also took the cup after supper, saying, “This cup is the New Covenant in My Blood, which is shed for you.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020

amen faith is to hear about it believe and just do it because of the belief

May 22, 2020
the SONG to Play that is NEVER broken is 'Nothing but the Blood of Jesus'

ALL 'water baptists' need to sing this song 3x a Day for 7 Days and then READ the New Testament AGAIN

Likewise He also took the cup after supper, saying, “This cup is the New Covenant in My Blood, which is shed for you.
What is it you do not understand about God's scriptures?
Perhaps you are not aware........MOST baptist do not believe in water baptism.

You need to study the Bible...BIG TIME;

Baptism is Required

Aug 2, 2021
What is it you do not understand about these scriptures?
Perhaps you are not aware........MOST baptist do not believe in water baptism.

You need to study these scriptures...BIG TIME;

Baptism is Required

What can wash my sins away = "NOTHING but the BLOOD of JESUS"

What can wash away my sin?
Nothing but the blood of Jesus;
What can make me whole again?
Nothing but the Blood of Jesus.
  • Refrain:
    Oh! precious is the flow
    That makes me white as snow;
    No other fount I know,
    Nothing but the blood of Jesus.
  1. For my pardon, this I see,
    For my cleansing this my plea,
  2. Nothing can for sin atone,
    Naught of good that I have done,
  3. This is all my hope and peace,
    This is all my righteousness,
  4. Now by this I’ll overcome—
    Now by this I’ll reach my home—
  5. Glory! Glory! This I sing—
    Nothing but the blood of Jesus,
    All my praise for this I bring—

May 22, 2020
What can wash my sins away = "NOTHING but the BLOOD of JESUS"

What can wash away my sin?
What can make me whole again?
Nothing but the Blood of Jesus.
  • Refrain:
    Oh! precious is the flow
    That makes me white as snow;
    No other fount I know,

1. For my pardon, this I see,
    For my cleansing this my plea,
  2. Nothing can for sin atone,
    Naught of good that I have done,
  3. This is all my hope and peace,
    This is all my righteousness,
  4. Now by this I’ll overcome—
    Now by this I’ll reach my home—
  5. Glory! Glory! This I sing—
    Nothing but the blood of Jesus,
    All my praise for this I bring—

At least you are using the proper term...washed...(water)...now if you can get to the word...baptism!!!

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
I do not believe I have ever said anything to the effect that water baptism is not important, and I would thank you not to spread such falsehoods about me. This has been done before by those who lack understanding of what is actually being said: taking away, adding to, doing the very things they say we should not do, such as Peldom, who is like a broken record not just with his posts, but with his repeatedly disagreeing with Scripture, and then acting as if it is inconceivable that any Christian should disagree with Scripture. It gets to the point where if it were not so pathetic it would be hilarious how blind he is to his own obvious folly and hypocrisy, while he mounts a mask of mock solicitude through which he falsely accuse others of the very things he does.

Saying what you have simply shows that you miss a distinction that is perceived by others.

Water is not mentioned in any of the Scriptures you posted above. To me, that is prevalent and plain. Whereas I see water being related to the Holy Spirit of God, and the greatest man of all time telling us that Jesus, Who is greater still than John by far, so much so that John is unworthy even to untie the strap of His sandal, would baptize us with the Holy Spirit, and with fire. That is what cleanses us, and Scripture plainly states that, also. We are told of this cleansing long before the NT; I have posted the relevant verses from Ezekiel quite a few times in these recent discussions on baptism. Likewise there are a plethora of Scriptures that attest to our justification and salvation being by faith alone, in Christ alone, Who Himself fulfilled all righteousness. That water is implied or inferred in some verses I do not deny either, something some of those who adhere to a contrary view refuse to do in admitting that water is not mentioned in many of the verses they believe bolster their case.

I realize people believe things because they think they are right. How some arrive at their conclusions is questionable.

Ephesians 4:5-6
:)
it seems like you are saying things and then responding as of your. Ek g attacked or offended this is what everyone says about other people in this forum if they don’t agree

“who is like a broken record not just with his posts, but with his repeatedly disagreeing with Scripture, and then acting as if it is inconceivable that any Christian should disagree with Scripture.”

same kind of accusations anyone who thinks they know something and someone doesn’t agree we start saying “ you scriotire denier “ or you heretic “

we’re having a discussion about baptism why do you insist other people are denying scripture yet younhavent addressed any of the scripture explainkng baptism in any of your responses instead you seem like your offended that someone doesn’t agree with you

Isn’t it the pot calling the kettle black sort of ? You are sharing scriotire that supports your thinking about baptism. He and I and others are sharing scripture supporting our view about baptism

the funny part is we all explain why the other person is a scripture denier lol

I’ve been really wondering if this place is beneficial anytime two Christians don’t agree on any subject they turn on one another and get all offended it seems like basically everyone here is still carnal and claiming everyone but then is carnal

but anyways I don’t agree with you about baptism , do agree with you on a lot of other points

I think I’ll end my participation on this discussion. It seems like anytime your given really basic and clear scripture you don’t even respond to it instead you claim your being insulted and “ lied about “

baptism means what the Bible says it means is my point it’s as important as it teaches in scripture and I must be mis reading your points or something because it seems like you’ve made baptism irrelevant regarding salvstion at least that’s what I’m gathering from what you wrote in the thread

“baptism or not baptism either way “ that’s sort of what it sounds like your saying to me but I’m probably just attacking you I guess

Aug 2, 2021
At least you are using the proper term...washed...(water)...now if you can get to the word...baptism!!!
This is a complete laugher my friend - thank you

ALL the water on this earth could NEVER wash away a single sin.

THINK THINK THINK = “This cup is the New Covenant in My Blood, which is poured out for you."

Be careful though, for this is New Age Faith.

Then Peter said, “See, we have left all and followed You.”

So He said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you, there is no one who has left house or parents or brothers or wife or children, for the sake of the kingdom of God, who shall not receive many times more in this present time, and in the age to come eternal life.”

May 22, 2020
it seems like you are saying things and then responding as of your. Ek g attacked or offended this is what everyone says about other people in this forum if they don’t agree

“who is like a broken record not just with his posts, but with his repeatedly disagreeing with Scripture, and then acting as if it is inconceivable that any Christian should disagree with Scripture.”

same kind of accusations anyone who thinks they know something and someone doesn’t agree we start saying “ you scriotire denier “ or you heretic “

we’re having a discussion about baptism why do you insist other people are denying scripture yet younhavent addressed any of the scripture explainkng baptism in any of your responses instead you seem like your offended that someone doesn’t agree with you

Isn’t it the pot calling the kettle black sort of ? You are sharing scriotire that supports your thinking about baptism. He and I and others are sharing scripture supporting our view about baptism

the funny part is we all explain why the other person is a scripture denier lol

I’ve been really wondering if this place is beneficial anytime two Christians don’t agree on any subject they turn on one another and get all offended it seems like basically everyone here is still carnal and claiming everyone but then is carnal

but anyways I don’t agree with you about baptism , do agree with you on a lot of other points

I think I’ll end my participation on this discussion. It seems like anytime your given really basic and clear scripture you don’t even respond to it instead you claim your being insulted and “ lied about “

baptism means what the Bible says it means is my point it’s as important as it teaches in scripture and I must be mis reading your points or something because it seems like you’ve made baptism irrelevant regarding salvstion at least that’s what I’m gathering from what you wrote in the thread

“baptism or not baptism either way “ that’s sort of what it sounds like your saying to me but I’m probably just attacking you I guess
They always attack the messenger...why not the origin of the clear message...God.
Oh...they are by deliberately defacing His word and intent.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Where did I say I was insulted? That is a problem, when people make up things that simply are not true. And there is Peldom again, doing the very thing he accuses others of. If you don't see it, you don't see it. Stick around. You may eventually. Or visit any thread where alcohol is the topic, and he has participated.

May 22, 2020
timed out...
.... They even add caricatures defacing God's word.
It's a new age religion thing.

we are reminded....Christ said ...you may pay a price for following me....so be it..bring it on.

Aug 2, 2021

The issue is not 'Do we water baptize or not' the ISSUE is = does water baptism wash away sins

Baptism by water is not the Payment for Salvation neither is it the Work of Salvation which only CHRIST could Finish for us.

Salvation is only thru the shed Blood of Christ that began the moment HE was betrayed and the horrific beating began and His Precious sinless Blood was pouring from His Body.
The FINISHED Act was completed on the Cross where HE died.

Baptism by water is an Act of Righteousness.
Acts of Righteousness and/or Works of Righteousness do not save us. They are the expected outcome of Faith and Obedience to God.

"For it is by grace you have been saved through faith, and this not from yourselves; it is the gift of God, not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance as our way of life."

The Righteous act of water baptism was first brought forth in Genesis with Noah = 1 Peter ch3

"For Christ also suffered for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive in the Spirit, in whom He also went and preached to the spirits in prison who disobeyed long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built.

In the ark a few people, only eight souls, were saved through water. And this water symbolizes the baptism that now saves you also—not the removal of dirt from the body, but the pledge of a clear conscience toward God—through the resurrection of Jesus Christ, who has gone into heaven and is at the right hand of God, with angels, authorities, and powers subject to Him."

PAY ATTENTION to 1 Peter ch3 = NOAH was SAVED 120 Years BEFORE the Flood = NOAH plus 7 were in the ARK before the Flood.

What did the FLOOD do = removed ALL the flesh on earth that could not be saved

What did the ARK do = saved those who BELIEVED the WORD of GOD and built the ARK and were inside it.