Baptism

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jul 24, 2019
What is Baptism in the Spirit and When does it Happen?
what is the fade of people who die without being baptize by water?
who has the authority to baptize?
what about children?

Leastamongmany

Jun 2, 2019
Usa
I can only answer the first of your questions! Jesus told His disciple to wait until they were endued with POWER from Him. That POWER came to us at Pentecost which is a Jewish celebration meaning 50th! He promised to send us ANOTHER COMFORTER after He left! This is the Holy Spirit! I can only direct you to study His word with an open heart that He will lead you into the knowledge of the baptism of the Holy Ghost! He is here among God's ppl to reside with us and perform many functions among us that believe and follow Jesus! The Holy Ghost helps in our study,our prayer life and helps us bear the right fruit! Search out the word,take no man's interpetation,but only what God Himself leads your heart to see! There is much controversy and divisions in this subject and water baptism. I say to you,follow Jesus example and live as close as you humanly can go His word,He will take care of the rest. BLESSINGS!🌞🌞🌞

Webers.Home

May 28, 2018
Oregon
cfbac.org
I sincerely believe that Jesus Christ is a man of integrity who would never knowingly mislead people. In point of fact, I'm convinced that that everything he taught originated with God, whom I also sincerely believe to be a person of integrity who would never knowingly mislead people.

John 3:34 . . For he is sent by God. He speaks God's words, for God's Spirit is upon him without measure or limit

John 8:26 . .He that sent me is true; and I speak to the world those things which I have heard of Him.

John 8:28 . . I do nothing on my own initiative, but I speak these things as the Father taught me.

John 12:49 . . I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.

Jesus instructed a Samarian woman that she could have a living water merely by asking him for it. I've done that.

Jesus instructed his countrymen that whoever believes in him would be given to drink of the Spirit within the very core of their being if all they did was approach him for it. I've done that too.

So if John 4:10-14 is true and reliable, and if John 7:37-39 is true and reliable; then I have successfully obtained the living water, and I have also successfully obtained the Spirit within the very core of my being.

The living water, and the Spirit, are essential components of my baptism into Jesus' body.

1Cor 12:13 . .We were all baptized by one Spirit into one body-- whether Jews or Greeks, slave or free --and we were all given the one Spirit to drink.

The awful irony of the standard Christian baptism is that not everyone who undergoes it will make it to safety when they pass on; and that's because they failed to obtain the Spirit and the living water about which Jesus spoke in John 4:10-14 and John 7:37-39.

NOTE: It's risky to depend upon the standard Christian baptism for obtaining the Spirit and the living water; no, play it safe and speak up for them as Jesus instructed.

John 6:37 . . Everything that the Father gives me will come to me, and I will not reject anyone who comes to me

Rom 10:13 . . Everyone who calls on the name of The Lord will be saved.
_

Jul 24, 2019
Thank you
I can only answer the first of your questions! Jesus told His disciple to wait until they were endued with POWER from Him. That POWER came to us at Pentecost which is a Jewish celebration meaning 50th! He promised to send us ANOTHER COMFORTER after He left! This is the Holy Spirit! I can only direct you to study His word with an open heart that He will lead you into the knowledge of the baptism of the Holy Ghost! He is here among God's ppl to reside with us and perform many functions among us that believe and follow Jesus! The Holy Ghost helps in our study,our prayer life and helps us bear the right fruit! Search out the word,take no man's interpetation,but only what God Himself leads your heart to see! There is much controversy and divisions in this subject and water baptism. I say to you,follow Jesus example and live as close as you humanly can go His word,He will take care of the rest. BLESSINGS!🌞🌞🌞

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
What is Baptism in the Spirit and When does it Happen? what is the fate of people who die without being baptize by water?
who has the authority to baptize? what about children?
Another thread on baptism? Did you check out the existence of multiple threads in CC on this subject? I believe all your questions have already been answered.

Mar 28, 2016
what about children?
Finding the foundation for the water baptism doctrine seems to be part of the problem if not the whole. It is like the tongues doctrine people are looking to perform someone outwardly to confirm to their own selves as a sign as if there were sign gifts.
In that way signs are for those who have no faith to believe that alone which comes from prophecy. Faith as it is written

The foundation for water baptism is founded in a Old tesetemmt as a ceremonial law when a Levi had a desire to become a member of the kingdom of Priest. it was not a sign to represent the remission of sin but again a shadow that spoke of a inward desire of the flesh...

Many dismiss that foundation just as many the old testament foundation of tongues. Trying to make it a new testament principle... as a personal confirming tool.

Water and blood, sometimes both together represents the work of the gospel. Whether it has to do with becoming a member of the priesthood or used like by the woman of the well . . . which was not as a ceremonial law but more a picture of the water the gospel that washes away our sin.

The woman at the well is used to represent all of the gentile nations (paganism)that have drank of the living waters of the word.

Jesus from our father was used as a example for husbands to wash their wives with the water of the word as the doctrines of God that do fall like rain (Deuteronomy 32:2)

Ephesians 5:25-27 (KJV) Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.

Jesus in effect informed her to represent His own bride the church that even though she had 5 husbands not one washed her with the doctrines of God as he does with us His bride...

Jesus saith unto her, Go, call thy husband, and come hither. The woman answered and said, I have no husband. Jesus said unto her, Thou hast well said, I have no husband: For thou hast had five husbands; and he whom thou now hast is not thy husband: in that saidst thou truly.John4:16-18

notuptome

May 17, 2013
what about children?
Baptism in the Holy Spirit is the renewing of regeneration. Titus 3:5 It occurs the moment we ask Christ to save us from our sins.It the moment we are made new creatures in Christ.

Water baptism has no effect on the eternal salvation of the soul.

Christ alone baptizes with the Holy Spirit.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
what about children?
Baptism if the Spirit is when the Holy Spirit of God comes and dwells in a person..

When one believes Jesus and trusts in the atonement He secured for our salvation on the cross then the Holy Spirit comes to dwell in you..

If a person is baptized in the Spirit they do not need to be baptized with water..

Anyone who believes Jesus and trusts in the Atonement He secured for their salvation can share the Gospel with others..

Innocents do not need the atonement of the LORD Jesus Christ,, Only Sinners need the Atonement of the LORD Jesus Christ..

E

eternally-gratefull

Rom 6 (baptised into Christ, his death and burial)
1 cor 12 (baptized into the body CHrist)
col 2 - Spiritual circumcision done without hands,
Gal 3 - Baptized into Christ

Happens the moment a person is saved, it is called the washing of regeneration the Titus 3

Is the person saved? He will get to heaven

Is he not saved? It does nto matter if he or she was baptised or not they will not get to heaven.

Any disciple, which means pretty much anyone

what about children?
It is good to dedicate ones child. (I did my kids) But it does not save them, They still need to be saved.

Scarfin

Jul 26, 2019
Mark 16:16 who ever believes and is baptized will be saved but who ever does not believe will be condemned. One has to be baptized for failure to this you will not have eternal life John 3:3-5 unless one is born of water and the spirit he cannot enter the Kingdom of God. Christ himself has said, if you believe and be baptized you will be saved failure to which you will not go to Heaven. The Ethiopian eunuch believed and was baptized if you believe you will strive to be baptized if you refuse to get baptized then you never believed in the first place
Children are dedicated to God because can a child of say 4years believe?

Mar 28, 2016
Mark 16:16 who ever believes and is baptized will be saved but who ever does not believe will be condemned. One has to be baptized for failure to this you will not have eternal life John 3:3-5 unless one is born of water and the spirit he cannot enter the Kingdom of God. Christ himself has said, if you believe and be baptized you will be saved failure to which you will not go to Heaven. The Ethiopian eunuch believed and was baptized if you believe you will strive to be baptized if you refuse to get baptized then you never believed in the first place
Children are dedicated to God because can a child of say 4years believe?
God can give his faith that comes by hearing to a child unborn . As soon as they are born into a corrupted body they are guilty doing what the only know how. . . telling lies. No truth in them .The wrath of God being revealed in mankind

John 3:25 sets the stage for the old testament ceremonial law. Water baptism represents a person has a desire to become a member of the priesthood of believers. It is why Jesus from the tribe of Judah was baptized before he was sent out into the wilderness as our scapegoat.

Getting wet with water and using it to confirm something which it does not... is another of what some call "sign gifts" .(No such thing)

Like the tongues doctrine men simply refuse to look to the foundation of the doctrine .So they make their own oral confirming tradition .Rather than walking by faith in respect to the unseen eternal

John 4:48Then said Jesus unto him, Except ye see signs and wonders, ye will not believe

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
Mark 16:16 who ever believes and is baptized will be saved but who ever does not believe will be condemned.
Mark 16:16 - He who believes and is baptized will be saved (general cases without making a qualification for the unusual case of someone who believes but is not baptized) but he who does not believe will be condemned. The omission of baptized with "does not believe" shows that Jesus does not make baptism absolutely essential to salvation. Condemnation rests on unbelief, not on a lack of baptism. So salvation rests on belief. *NOWHERE does the Bible say "baptized or condemned." If water baptism is absolutely required for salvation, then why did Jesus not mention it in the following verses? (3:15,16,18; 5:24; 6:29,40,47; 11:25,26). What is the ONE requirement that Jesus mentions 9 different times in each of these complete statements? BELIEVES. *What happened to baptism? *Hermeneutics.

One has to be baptized for failure to this you will not have eternal life.
John 3:18 - He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who (is not water baptized? - NO) does not believe is condemned already, because he has not (been water baptized? - NO) because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

John 3:3-5 unless one is born of water and the spirit he cannot enter the Kingdom of God.
In John 3:5, some would argue that the natural sense of the passage clearly parallels "water" with being born out of a mother’s womb (verse 4) and with "flesh" (verse 6). In this case, Jesus would have told Nicodemus that in order to see the kingdom of God two births are necessary. The first is a physical, literal, "flesh" birth (which is, of course, accompanied by amniotic "water"); the second is Spirit.

Now have you considered living water in John 3:5? Jesus said, "born of water and the Spirit" He did not say born of baptism and the Spirit. To automatically read baptism into this verse simply because it mentions "water" is unwarranted. Scripture interprets itself. *Notice in John 7:38-39, "He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of LIVING WATER. But this He spoke concerning the SPIRIT. Did you catch that? If "water" is arbitrarily defined as baptism, then we could just as justifiably say, "Out of his heart will flow rivers of living baptism" in John 7:38. If this sounds ridiculous, it is no more so than the idea that water baptism is the source or the means of becoming born again.

In John 4:10, Jesus said, "If you knew the gift of God, and who it is who says to you, 'Give Me a drink,' you would have asked Him, and He would have given you living water." In John 4:14, Jesus said, "but whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him will never thirst. But the water that I shall give him will become in him a fountain of water springing up into everlasting life. *Jesus connects this living water here with everlasting life. *Living water is not water baptism. In 1 Corinthians 12:13, we also read - ..drink into one Spirit. Water baptism is the picture or symbol of the new birth, but not the means of securing it.

Christ himself has said, if you believe and be baptized you will be saved failure to which you will not go to Heaven.
Tell that to the thief on the cross who was saved on his death bed (death on the cross) but was unable to receive water baptism before he died. Christ Himself said, he who believes and is baptized will be saved (general cases without making a qualification for the unusual case of someone who believes but is not baptized) but he who does not believe will be condemned. *Jesus did not say that whoever is not water baptized will be condemned.

The Ethiopian eunuch believed and was baptized if you believe you will strive to be baptized if you refuse to get baptized then you never believed in the first place Children are dedicated to God because can a child of say 4years believe?
Why would a genuine believer refuse to get baptized? I can't think of one believer that I know who has refused to be water baptized and I could not wait to get water baptized after my conversion, yet salvation is still by grace through faith and is not by works. (Ephesians 2:8,9; Titus 3:5; 2 Timothy 1:9)

Mar 28, 2016
Mark 16:16 - He who believes and is baptized will be saved (general cases without making a qualification for the unusual case of someone who believes but is not baptized) but he who does not believe will be condemned. The omission of baptized with "does not believe" shows that Jesus does not make baptism absolutely essential to salvation. Condemnation rests on unbelief, not on a lack of baptism. So salvation rests on belief. *NOWHERE does the Bible say "baptized or condemned." If water baptism is absolutely required for salvation, then why did Jesus not mention it in the following verses? (3:15,16,18; 5:24; 6:29,40,47; 11:25,26). What is the ONE requirement that Jesus mentions 9 different times in each of these complete statements? BELIEVES. *What happened to baptism? *Hermeneutics.

He that is baptized cleansed by the Holy Spirit is saved

The qualification is believing as already baptized by the Spirit. The unseen work of the Spirit working in the believer to both will and do his good pleasure.. Water baptism has its foundation in the old testemtment .Its why there was a question likened to.What was Jesus from the tribe of Judah doing violating the law of a Levite and now he is doing the work of introducing new Priests into the priesthood as a ceremonial law. . shadow. Now baptizing men from all nations? Something was happening? Confirming something certainly not remission from sin as some sort of "sign gift".

Then there arose a question between some of John's disciples and the Jews about purifying. And they came unto John, and said unto him, Rabbi, he that was with thee beyond Jordan, to whom thou barest witness, behold, the same baptizeth, and all men (all nations and tribes) come to him.John3:25-26

Scarfin

Jul 26, 2019
1 Corinthians 12:13
Chapter Parallel Compare
13 For we were all baptized by one Spirit so as to form one body—whether Jews or Gentiles, slave or free—and we were all given the one Spirit to drink.

1 Peter 3:21
Chapter Parallel Compare
21 and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also—not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a clear conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ,
Acts 10:48
Chapter Parallel Compare
48 So he ordered that they be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked Peter to stay with them for a few days.
Acts 22:16
Chapter Parallel Compare
16 And now what are you waiting for? Get up, be baptized and wash your sins away, calling on his name.’
Colossians 2:12
12 having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through your faith in the working of God, who raised him from the dead.

Galatians 3:27
Chapter Parallel Compare
27 for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.
Luke 3:16
Chapter Parallel Compare
16 John answered them all, “I baptize you with water. But one who is more powerful than I will come, the straps of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.
Luke 3:21-22
Chapter Parallel Compare
21 When all the people were being baptized, Jesus was baptized too. And as he was praying, heaven was opened 22 and the Holy Spirit descended on him in bodily form like a dove. And a voice came from heaven: “You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.”
Mark 1:4-5
Chapter Parallel Compare
4 And so John the Baptist appeared in the wilderness, preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins. 5 The whole Judean countryside and all the people of Jerusalem went out to him. Confessing their sins, they were baptized by him in the Jordan River.
Matthew 28:19-20
Chapter Parallel Compare
19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
Acts 8:36-38
Chapter Parallel Compare
36 As they traveled along the road, they came to some water and the eunuch said, “Look, here is water. What can stand in the way of my being baptized? ” 38 And he gave orders to stop the chariot. Then both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water and Philip baptized him. 39 When they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord suddenly took Philip away, and the eunuch did not see him again, but went on his way rejoicing.
Ephesians 4:4-6
Chapter Parallel Compare
4 There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to one hope when you were called; 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism; 6 one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.
Acts 16:31-33
Chapter Parallel Compare
31 They replied, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your household.” 32 Then they spoke the word of the Lord to him and to all the others in his house. 33 At that hour of the night the jailer took them and washed their wounds; then immediately he and all his household were baptized.
Acts 2:38-41
38 Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call.” 40 With many other words he warned them; and he pleaded with them, “Save yourselves from this corrupt generation.” 41 Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about three thousand were added to their number that day.

John 1:29-33
Chapter Parallel Compare
29 The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, “Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world! 30 This is the one I meant when I said, ‘A man who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.’ 31 I myself did not know him, but the reason I came baptizing with water was that he might be revealed to Israel.” 32 Then John gave this testimony: “I saw the Spirit come down from heaven as a dove and remain on him. 33 And I myself did not know him, but the one who sent me to baptize with water told me, ‘The man on whom you see the Spirit come down and remain is the one who will baptize with the Holy Spirit.’
Matthew 3:11-17
Chapter Parallel Compare
11 “I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me comes one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. 12 His winnowing fork is in his hand, and he will clear his threshing floor, gathering his wheat into the barn and burning up the chaff with unquenchable fire.” 13 Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptized by John. 14 But John tried to deter him, saying, “I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?” 15 Jesus replied, “Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness.” Then John consented. 16 As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. 17 And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.”
Romans 6:1-18

1 What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? 2 By no means! We are those who have died to sin; how can we live in it any longer? 3 Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? 4 We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life. 5 For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we will certainly also be united with him in a resurrection like his. 6 For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body ruled by sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin— 7 because anyone who has died has been set free from sin. 8 Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him. 9 For we know that since Christ was raised from the dead, he cannot die again; death no longer has mastery over him. 10 The death he died, he died to sin once for all; but the life he lives, he lives to God. 11 In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus. 12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its evil desires. 13 Do not offer any part of yourself to sin as an instrument of wickedness, but rather offer yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer every part of yourself to him as an instrument of righteousness. 14 For sin shall no longer be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace. 15 What then? Shall we sin because we are not under the law but under grace? By no means! 16 Don’t you know that when you offer yourselves to someone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one you obey—whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness? 17 But thanks be to God that, though you used to be slaves to sin, you have come to obey from your heart the pattern of teaching that has now claimed your allegiance. 18 You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.

Baptism symbolizes death with sin and resurrection with Christ.
I think the birth of the child is not what Jesus spake about, Nicodemus asked how one was to be born from his mother's womb but Jesus said that was not the case one was to be born of water and spirit.

jb

Feb 27, 2010
what about children?
You can find a bit of a study Here on baptism in the Spirit...