Baptism

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Sho125

Nov 26, 2017
Hello do people have to be baptised in water to go to heaven?

Oct 10, 2021
I never been to heave so I wouldn't know. But if I had to take a educated guess, I would say No

GiveThanks

God Will Make A Way
Dec 6, 2020
Some people say yes some say no. What are your thoughts on the matter?

Oct 10, 2021
Some people say yes some say no. What are your thoughts on the matter?
I don't think God would turn a person around at the gate because there not baptised. If he can let a murderer in heaven(because he's a forgiving God) he'll let a person that's not baptised in. Those are my thoughts on that matter

GiveThanks

God Will Make A Way
Dec 6, 2020
I don't think God would turn a person around at the gate because there not baptised. If he can let a murderer in heaven(because he's a forgiving God) he'll let a person that's not baptised in. Those are my thoughts on that matter
But the murderer has to repent. Anyone who does not repent cannot be saved.

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021
Water Baptism will not get you into heaven ------only receiving Jesus and being Baptism with the Holy Spirit will get you heaven Bound -today-

There are many Christians who after Receiving the Baptism of the Holy Spirit decide to have a water Baptism as well in a church setting to show and profess publicly their Faith and commitment to Jesus Christ -----

John the Baptise was sent to Baptise with water for Repentance only -----he was getting people ready to receive Jesus and be Baptised with the Holy Spirit -----Repentance is the first step to receiving Salvation

Matthew 3 NIV
John the Baptist Prepares the Way
11 “I baptize you with[b] water for repentance. But after me comes one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with[c] the Holy Spirit and fire

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
No. Baptism is important but not essential. God looks to see if the people before Him are alive. Man's problem is that he is dead in trespasses and sin. God's solution is to give us new life in Christ. Baptism has nothing to do with that aspect of God's great salvation.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
Water Baptism will not get you into heaven ------only receiving Jesus and being Baptism with the Holy Spirit will get you heaven Bound -today-

There are many Christians who after Receiving the Baptism of the Holy Spirit decide to have a water Baptism as well in a church setting to show and profess publicly their Faith and commitment to Jesus Christ -----

John the Baptise was sent to Baptise with water for Repentance only -----he was getting people ready to receive Jesus and be Baptised with the Holy Spirit -----Repentance is the first step to receiving Salvation

Matthew 3 NIV
John the Baptist Prepares the Way
11 “I baptize you with[b] water for repentance. But after me comes one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with[c] the Holy Spirit and fire
It is not necessary to be baptised in the Holy Spirit in order to be born again. I don't know where you get that from, but it is false. I'm happy to discuss it further.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
John 3:18 - He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who (is not water baptized? - NO) does not believe is condemned already, because he has not (been water baptized? - NO) because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021
It is not necessary to be baptised in the Holy Spirit in order to be born again. I don't know where you get that from, but it is false. I'm happy to discuss it further.

You said ----- I don't know where you get that from, but it is false

So you think you can go to heaven today without Being Baptised in the Holy Spirit --------

If that is your belief ---then that is your belief ---but it is not my belief -----

This says what i believe ---this says it very well for me ------

https://www.biblestudying.net/baptism3.html

It is very important to take note that the Greek word translated as "baptize" (as well as the related words) are NOT exclusively used only for water baptism. The exact same Greek word is used for both forms of baptism, both water and the Holy Spirit.

In fact, this usage of the same Greek word to refer to both forms of baptism comes right at the very beginning of New Testament revelation and teaching about baptism.

Matthew 3:11 I indeed baptize [907] you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize [907] you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

Mark 1:8 I indeed have baptized [907] you with water: but he shall baptize [907] you with the Holy Ghost.

Luke 3:16 John answered, saying unto them all, I indeed baptize [907] you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: he shall baptize [907] you with the Holy Ghost and with fire:

John 1:26 John answered them, saying, I baptize [907] with water: but there standeth one among you, whom ye know not; 27 He it is, who coming after me is preferred before me, whose shoe's latchet I am not worthy to unloose...31 And I knew him not: but that he should be made manifest to Israel, therefore am I come baptizing [907] with water. 32 And John bare record, saying, I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him. 33 And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize [907] with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth [907] with the Holy Ghost.

In fact, not only did John the Baptist use the same Greek word for both forms of baptism from the onset of his ministry, but Jesus Christ and Peter likewise copied John's equal application of that Greek word to both forms of baptism. (Acts 1 below records the words of Jesus Christ. Acts 11 records the words of Peter.)

Acts 1:5 For John truly baptized [907] with water; but ye shall be baptized [907] with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.

Acts 11:16 Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized [907] with water; but ye shall be baptized [907] with the Holy Ghost.

Lastly, we can also establish that Paul used the same Greek word for both forms of baptism.

1 Corinthians 12:12 For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ. 13 For by [1722] one Spirit are we all baptized [907] into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

What is so interesting about this statement by Paul in 1 Corinthians 12 is that the Greek word translated "by" is "en" (Strong's No. 1722.) This Greek word "en" is the same word used in all four of the Gospels in the passages we've already discussed.

Matthew 3:11 he shall baptize [907] you with [1722] the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

Mark 1:8 he shall baptize [907] you with [1722] the Holy Ghost.

Luke 3:16 he shall baptize [907] you with [1722] the Holy Ghost and with fire:

John 1:26 he which baptizeth [907] with [1722] the Holy Ghost.

Then, in 1 Corinthians 12, Paul says, "For by [1722] one Spirit are we all baptized [907] into one body." Because the word "en" is the same word in these four Gospel passages as it is in 1 Corinthians 12, we can see that Paul is saying that we are baptized "en" [1722] the Holy Spirit into the body of Christ. Paul is clearly referring back to and repeating the original teaching of John the Baptist regarding baptism, teaching that was also upheld by both Jesus and Peter.

I say believe as you will -----that is your right ----

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
MPO?
Access into Heaven is not something that I can grant or deny. And this instruction to be baptized has lost a lot of meaning over the centuries since it was instituted.

Jesus was never really in favor of codified laws for the new Covenant...but He also wrote the Old Covenant as well which had 613 of them.

So, considering what is at stake....
(Your eternal life) wouldn't it be prudent to make EVERY effort to do everything possible to gain entrance?

If you were going to redeem a winning Powerball ticket how many times would you check your pocket to make sure that it was in there on your way to the claims office? How many times would you check the numbers to see if you had won?

Not much difference between that scenario and heaven.

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021
I say -----The Holy spirit Folks is likened unto water -------

Source: https://bible.knowing-jesus.com/topics/The-Holy-Spirit-Described-As-Water
Bible Verses about The Holy Spirit Described As Water

Most Relevant Verses
John 7:37-39
Now on the last day, the great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, saying, “If anyone is thirsty, let him come to Me and drink. He who believes in Me, as the Scripture said, ‘From his innermost being will flow rivers of living water.’” But this He spoke of the Spirit, whom those who believed in Him were to receive; for the Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.

Isaiah 44:3
Verse Concepts
‘For I will pour out water on the thirsty land
And streams on the dry ground;
I will pour out My Spirit on your offspring
And My blessing on your descendants;

John 4:14
Verse Concepts
but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him shall never thirst; but the water that I will give him will become in him a well of water springing up to eternal life.”

1 Corinthians 12:13
Verse Concepts
For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free, and we were all made to drink of one Spirit.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Got Questions
What is the baptism of the Holy Spirit?
The baptism of the Holy Spirit may be defined as that work whereby the Spirit of God places the believer into union with Christ and into union with other believers in the body of Christ at the moment of salvation.
The baptism of the Holy Spirit was predicted by John the Baptist (Mark 1:8) and by Jesus before He ascended to heaven: “For John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit” (Acts 1:5).

This promise was fulfilled on the Day of Pentecost (Acts 2:1–4); for the first time, people were permanently indwelt by the Holy Spirit, and the church had begun.

the baptism of the Holy Spirit does two things, 1) it joins us to the body of Christ, and 2) it actualizes our co-crucifixion with Christ. Being in His body means we are risen with Him to newness of life (Romans 6:4).
We should then exercise our spiritual gifts to keep that body functioning properly as stated in the context of 1 Corinthians 12:13. Experiencing the one Spirit baptism serves as the basis for keeping the unity of the church, as in the context of Ephesians 4:5. Being associated with Christ in His death, burial, and resurrection through Spirit baptism establishes the basis for our separation from the power of indwelling sin and our walk in newness of life (Romans 6:1-10; Colossians 2:12).

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021
Without the indwelling of the Holy spirit our Human Spirit remains Corrupt -------the Holy Spirit testifies with our Spirit and makes our Spirit Holy ------and only then are you heaven bound -----Just believing in Jesus without receiving Jesus in your heart will not Save you Folks -------Believe and receive ----and when you receive Jesus as your Lord and Saviour --the Holy Spirit comes to indwell in you -------

Romans 8 AMP B ----------------------see --Verse 16 ------Read the whole Chapter

9 However, you are not [living] in the flesh [controlled by the sinful nature] but in the Spirit, if in fact the Spirit of God lives in you [directing and guiding you]. But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him [and is not a child of God].

12 So then, [a]brothers and sisters, we have an obligation, but not to our flesh [our human nature, our worldliness, our sinful capacity], to live according to the [impulses of the] flesh [our nature without the Holy Spirit]—

13 for if you are living according to the [impulses of the] flesh, you are going to die.

But if [you are living] by the [power of the Holy] Spirit you are habitually putting to death the sinful deeds of the body, you will [really] live forever.

14 For all who are allowing themselves to be led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. 1

5 For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading again to fear [of God’s judgment], but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons [the Spirit producing sonship] by which we [joyfully] cry, “[b]Abba! Father!”

16 The Spirit Himself testifies and confirms together with our spirit [assuring us] that we [believers] are children of God.

17 And if [we are His] children, [then we are His] heirs also: heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ [sharing His spiritual blessing and inheritance], if indeed we share in His suffering so that we may also share in His glory.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Yes and no. water baptism is more of a testament that you are dedicating your life to Christ personally I think it should be done in private not in front of a bunch of people. the baptism of the holy spirit which is receiving the holy spirit is required to go to heaven because that is the seal of God that you are his.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
Yes and no. water baptism is more of a testament that you are dedicating your life to Christ personally I think it should be done in private not in front of a bunch of people. the baptism of the holy spirit which is receiving the holy spirit is required to go to heaven because that is the seal of God that you are his.
Baptism has several functions...

It was once very important to do it publicly...it was often done at the village well. AKA the town center.

And people became ostracized and apostacised for being baptized into the Christian sect of Judaism. They lost everything for becoming a Christian. Kinda like the Christian Hindus today. They lose their careers and families instantly. The Moslems ain't too fond of them either.

But they refuse to NOT go on record as having been baptized.
I don't think that God will forget them when the time comes either.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Baptism has several functions...

It was once very important to do it publicly...it was often done at the village well. AKA the town center.

And people became ostracized and apostacised for being baptized into the Christian sect of Judaism. They lost everything for becoming a Christian. Kinda like the Christian Hindus today. They lose their careers and families instantly. The Moslems ain't too fond of them either.

But they refuse to NOT go on record as having been baptized.
I don't think that God will forget them when the time comes either.
Yes we have it good here in america where at least for now we are free to be Christians, many who don't have that freedom and get baptized are risking it all.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
You said ----- I don't know where you get that from, but it is false

So you think you can go to heaven today without Being Baptised in the Holy Spirit --------

If that is your belief ---then that is your belief ---but it is not my belief -----

This says what i believe ---this says it very well for me ------

https://www.biblestudying.net/baptism3.html

It is very important to take note that the Greek word translated as "baptize" (as well as the related words) are NOT exclusively used only for water baptism. The exact same Greek word is used for both forms of baptism, both water and the Holy Spirit.

In fact, this usage of the same Greek word to refer to both forms of baptism comes right at the very beginning of New Testament revelation and teaching about baptism.

Matthew 3:11 I indeed baptize [907] you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize [907] you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

Mark 1:8 I indeed have baptized [907] you with water: but he shall baptize [907] you with the Holy Ghost.

Luke 3:16 John answered, saying unto them all, I indeed baptize [907] you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: he shall baptize [907] you with the Holy Ghost and with fire:

John 1:26 John answered them, saying, I baptize [907] with water: but there standeth one among you, whom ye know not; 27 He it is, who coming after me is preferred before me, whose shoe's latchet I am not worthy to unloose...31 And I knew him not: but that he should be made manifest to Israel, therefore am I come baptizing [907] with water. 32 And John bare record, saying, I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him. 33 And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize [907] with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth [907] with the Holy Ghost.

In fact, not only did John the Baptist use the same Greek word for both forms of baptism from the onset of his ministry, but Jesus Christ and Peter likewise copied John's equal application of that Greek word to both forms of baptism. (Acts 1 below records the words of Jesus Christ. Acts 11 records the words of Peter.)

Acts 1:5 For John truly baptized [907] with water; but ye shall be baptized [907] with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.

Acts 11:16 Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized [907] with water; but ye shall be baptized [907] with the Holy Ghost.

Lastly, we can also establish that Paul used the same Greek word for both forms of baptism.

1 Corinthians 12:12 For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ. 13 For by [1722] one Spirit are we all baptized [907] into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

What is so interesting about this statement by Paul in 1 Corinthians 12 is that the Greek word translated "by" is "en" (Strong's No. 1722.) This Greek word "en" is the same word used in all four of the Gospels in the passages we've already discussed.

Matthew 3:11 he shall baptize [907] you with [1722] the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

Mark 1:8 he shall baptize [907] you with [1722] the Holy Ghost.

Luke 3:16 he shall baptize [907] you with [1722] the Holy Ghost and with fire:

John 1:26 he which baptizeth [907] with [1722] the Holy Ghost.

Then, in 1 Corinthians 12, Paul says, "For by [1722] one Spirit are we all baptized [907] into one body." Because the word "en" is the same word in these four Gospel passages as it is in 1 Corinthians 12, we can see that Paul is saying that we are baptized "en" [1722] the Holy Spirit into the body of Christ. Paul is clearly referring back to and repeating the original teaching of John the Baptist regarding baptism, teaching that was also upheld by both Jesus and Peter.

I say believe as you will -----that is your right ----
Thanks for saying it is my right to believe as I do. I know when I was born again and I know when I was baptised in the Holy Spirit. They were over three years apart. The Body of Christ is not the Holy Spirit.

OK, so did you burn when you were saved? Have you drunk poison to prove you are saved? Does everyone you touch get healed? Few Christians have any idea what the fire of God really is.

Cherry picking Bible verses leads to error. I'm established in Christ so I know the basis of my salvation. My concern is for those who start to doubt because of statements such as yours. And Acts 19 contradicts your position.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
MPO?
Access into Heaven is not something that I can grant or deny. And this instruction to be baptized has lost a lot of meaning over the centuries since it was instituted.

Jesus was never really in favor of codified laws for the new Covenant...but He also wrote the Old Covenant as well which had 613 of them.

So, considering what is at stake....
(Your eternal life) wouldn't it be prudent to make EVERY effort to do everything possible to gain entrance?

If you were going to redeem a winning Powerball ticket how many times would you check your pocket to make sure that it was in there on your way to the claims office? How many times would you check the numbers to see if you had won?

Not much difference between that scenario and heaven.
Sounds right but it's not a good analogy. If you are born again, you already have the prize. If you are wise, you learn what the great salvation entails. Those who are born again are already winners, not by their efforts but because of what Lord Jesus has done. It's more like one of those competitions where the prize is a glorious mansion. To get the best out of it, you explore every room, all the features and the grounds that surround it.

Some Christians think they have to wait to get to heaven to get God's salvation. That is not true.

Ephesians 1:

…17that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you a spirit of wisdom and revelation in your knowledge of Him. 18I ask that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you may know the hope of His calling, the riches of His glorious inheritance in the saints, 19and the surpassing greatness of His power to us who believe. These are in accordance with the working of His mighty strength,…

We need to see what God has done for us in Christ here and now, not in the sweet by and by.