Baptism

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
Already provided in post #10.
Not so much.
Anything else, perhaps more specific?
How would you reconcile baptizing a child, who has no understanding of Jesus, and salvation, with scriptures that say those things are necessary?

NightTwister

Jul 5, 2023
Colorado, USA
Not so much.
Anything else, perhaps more specific?
How would you reconcile baptizing a child, who has no understanding of Jesus, and salvation, with scriptures that say those things are necessary?
Those verses are clear, no need to be more specific. Scripture does not say those are necessary for baptism.

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
Those verses are clear, no need to be more specific. Scripture does not say those are necessary for baptism.
Scripture reveals repentance is required of individuals prior to submitting to baptism. It is impossible for an infant to repent.

"Repent, and be baptized everyone of you in the name of Jesus for remission of sin..." Acts 2:38

"Then went out to him Jerusalem, and all Judaea, and all the region round about Jordan,
And were baptized of him in Jordan, confessing their sins.
But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?
Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:" Matt. 3:5-8

Chaps

Apr 3, 2024
California
Relative to the details seen in the accounts of the Jews, Samaritans and Gentiles, you said, "in these scenarios, we see something very specific happening, in particular, the Gospel going to entirely new people groups." One could come to the conclusion that what they experienced was for that sole purpose if not for the account in Acts 19.

The Acts 19 account reveals all individuals are required to submit to water baptism in Jesus name and also experience receiving the Holy Ghost. The account is explicit; going so far as to specifically state the actual number of individuals in verse 7. As such, the account had nothing to do with nationality. What occurred was 12 individuals experienced being reborn of water and Spirit.

Each and every detailed conversion account reveals exactly what Jesus meant when He said, "Except a man be born of water and Spirit he cannot SEE or ENTER into the kingdom of God." The truth is in plain sight. Look; Acts 2:38-41, 8:12-18, 9:17-18, 10:43-48, 19:1-6, 22:16.
I find it more likely that the laying on of the Apostles hands provided the individuals with miraculous gifts (as we see at Pentecost). There is no reason to suggest that these people in Acts 19 did not receive the indwelling spirit at baptism, especially when that is the promise given in Acts 2:38. I don’t think its a good idea to nullify a clear didactic message and promise given in Scripture because of a narrative that doesn’t specifically negate that promise

Chaps

Apr 3, 2024
California
Note what is actually stated in Acts 22:16. "And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the NAME of the Lord" Jesus is the name Ananias is referring to; for in Jesus dwells all the fulness of the Godhead. (Col. 2:9)

Father, Son and Holy Ghost are titles, not names.

Water baptism and receiving the Holy Ghost do not occur simultaneously. Please review the accounts: Acts 2:38-41, 8:12-18, 9:17-18, 10:43-48, 19:1-6.
I am not following the connections you are making here. How can you say water baptism and receiving the Holy Spirit do not happen at the same time And then cite Acts 2:38 when that text specifically says the hearers should be baptized “so that“ they might receive forgiveness and the Holy Spirit? It seems to me that the whole point of what he is saying is that their response of baptism carries with it the promise of forgiveness and the Holy Spirit. Not sure how you can read that command and take away that the receiving of the Spirit is an entirely separate event or time. Care to elaborate?

also it seems you are emphasizing the NAME a lot. Are you arguing for modalism/Sabellianism?

Chaps

Apr 3, 2024
California
For the adults, yes it does. Then those in the household were also baptized.
We dont have any indication that children were baptized. Nothing in the “household” statement indicates that non-believing children were among those baptized. That is an assumption some make, but it is not explicitly stated in the text and no where in scripture is there any teaching on baptizing babies or anyone who does not repent or believe the Gospel

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
There is influence upon the etymology of "believe" from the West Germanic word *ga-laubon "to hold dear, esteem, trust" (sourced also of Old Saxon gilobo, Middle Dutch gelove, Old High German giloubo, German Glaube), from *galaub- "dear, esteemed" from intensive prefix *ga- + PIE root *leubh- "to care, desire, love"...

I'm convinced that belief is closely, even intimately, related to a baptism (or total immersion) into the Beloved.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
The best way to baptized. Any teaching on this please
The word baptise means to immerse. It was used of ships that sank. It symbolises death to the world and resurrection to new life, hence "burial" in water then rising up again. Just don't wait 3 days.

Exactly how is irrelevant. River, pond, sea, in a church setting, swimming pool - does not matter.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
Which is unfortunate and one of the reasons why I wouldn't attend one of those churches (even though I was immersed).
I go to a church that sprinkles and immerses. I don't believe in sprinkling, but so what? Don't be so picky.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
All that matters is the living water.
Or the death of Jesus, mercy, grace, resurrection, new life, God's word, truth......... give me a break. The subject was baptism.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
I have a question for you. I'm curious, do you believe Jesus' disciples disobeyed Him?
It's not a matter of whether they obeyed Him or not. If you're asking why did they baptize in the name of Jesus in contradiction to His command in Matthew 28:19, my answer is I don't know, and I'm okay with that. I have some ideas, but that's all they are--theories. To me it's an open question. But I'm at peace with the trinity, so I have no interest in forcing a Oneness interpretation into the text that isn't there.

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
Or the death of Jesus, mercy, grace, resurrection, new life, God's word, truth......... give me a break. The subject was baptism.
There's nothing wrong with discussing the meaning behind the painting but, still, it is only a representation of a reality in a place that cannot be conveyed into any other. For example, many can know what the falls in Niagra look like through a photograph but only those that actually visit them can fully experience their wonder.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
There's nothing wrong with discussing the meaning behind the painting but, still, it is only a representation of a reality in a place that cannot be conveyed into any other. For example, many can know what the falls in Niagra look like through a photograph but only those that actually visit them can fully experience their wonder.
I agree, I've been to the Grand Canyon and pictures do not do it justice. I fail to see what that has to do with my post.

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
I agree, I've been to the Grand Canyon and pictures do not do it justice. I fail to see what that has to do with my post.
I fail to understand why men so often become so indignant by a woman's contribution to the discussion, as though I'd punched them in the... rib.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
I have a question for you. I'm curious, do you believe Jesus' disciples disobeyed Him?
One thing I can say, they obeyed His command to baptize, that's the main thing. Before we start quibbling over the right words that are to be said, we should first start making sure people are baptized when they first believe and confess Christ.