BDF special terminology

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
A

Ariel82

I joined this site as a relatively new Christian.

I had accepted Jesus but I hadn't study various denominations or doctrines or even knew about the debates that are occurring here.

I was like a leaf blown to and fro by whatever teachings people preached to me.

I had a hard time learning discernment and becoming grounded in Christ.

Truthfully I am still learning but have become more grounded and at peace.

When I started posting I felt attacked and challenged about my beliefs. I would be accused of promoting this or that heresy.

Truthfully I had no clue what most folks were talking about. Eventually I learned but it was very tough and rocky.

So I thought to start a thread about words or terms that I learnt while talking to people here.

I will make a list and hopefully someone will help define them.

Feel free to add
1. words you don't know
2. Definitions of the words in the list you find helpful
3. Websites or educational links or sermons on the subjects.

My BDF vocabulary (will add more later)

Eschatology

Amillennialism

Monogerism

"Name it and claim it" doctrine

False prosperity gospel

NAR

Gnostic

Works salvation

Cake taker

Licentious false gospel

Ban hammer

I was just thinking about how newcomers can feel kind of lost when we Christians use terms and assume people know what we are referring to, but the other person doesn't have a clue.

I wonder how many people sit in church feeling kind of lost and the message gets lost in translation?

I have another word I am learning the meaning to:

Intercessor.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Interesting perspective.

I was saved for many years before I entered this cyber world and I continue to see new things here all the time. I am somewhat amazed from time to time by the number of false doctrines that have infested the body of Christ. I had no idea that I was so naïve.

The adversary will not rest so we must be vigilent and never rest on what we know but continue to study Gods word and be ready to give a reason for the hope that lieth within us.

1Pe 3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

For the cause of Christ
Roger

NayborBear

Banned Serpent Seed Heresy
There seems to be a "credo" of sorts, that "crosses over", if you will, from Beth-Aven (house of nothing), into Bethel (house of God). "if you can't dazzle them with brilliance....Baffle them with bull dung!"

It is of this seemingly vain need, or desire, in a showing of (usually one to anothers') how "educated" one is, in the english vocabulary. Not to mention how "impressed" one new to the faith is with their vocabulary. Which, if said new one to the faith strives in emulating? Merely causes the new believer in justifying a place in Beth-Aven, and mis-applying it as Bethel! This is not a good thing, and aids apostasy in so many ways!

I prefer, in keeping it simple! As, in one's striving in "condensing" definitions, to accommodate "sound bytes", or "attention spans", to an already attention deficited, is, IMHO, aiding the enemies of the Kingdom of God, and Kingdom of Light. Not to mention grieveing the Holy Spirit. Of which? Causes the believer, new, or old, to be cast into prison! And not to be released, until "every penny", of the fine of judgement is payed! So, if the imposed fines are not payed?

A

Ariel82

There seems to be a "credo" of sorts, that "crosses over", if you will, from Beth-Aven (house of nothing), into Bethel (house of God). "if you can't dazzle them with brilliance....Baffle them with bull dung!"

It is of this seemingly vain need, or desire, in a showing of (usually one to anothers') how "educated" one is, in the english vocabulary. Not to mention how "impressed" one new to the faith is with their vocabulary. Which, if said new one to the faith strives in emulating? Merely causes the new believer in justifying a place in Beth-Aven, and mis-applying it as Bethel! This is not a good thing, and aids apostasy in so many ways!

I prefer, in keeping it simple! As, in one's striving in "condensing" definitions, to accommodate "sound bytes", or "attention spans", to an already attention deficited, is, IMHO, aiding the enemies of the Kingdom of God, and Kingdom of Light. Not to mention grieveing the Holy Spirit. Of which? Causes the believer, new, or old, to be cast into prison! And not to be released, until "every penny", of the fine of judgement is payed! So, if the imposed fines are not payed?
Could you define these words?

grieveing the Holy Spirit

apostasy

emulating

Beth-Aven

NayborBear

Could you define these words?

grieveing the Holy Spirit

apostasy

emulating

Beth-Aven

I'll try! :)

Grieving The Holy Spirit, means one has given cause for our Father in heaven, who has given His Holy Spirit (Holy breath of life, or Rauch, in the Hebrew, or Pneuma, in the Greek), to incarcerate, or jail, imprison, bind up, the offender. What one does to cause such grieving? Could be something like, but certainly not limited to, a sense, or feeling or a longing to do something, or go somewheres, or say something, to a person, in a conversation, in a forum, at work, at church, on the street, in someone's house, and not doing it, or, not saying it, for whatever reason, or reasons. Or even praying to, or worshipping the Holy spirit, will grieve it. But, generally, a sense of guilt, or fear, a loss of peace, things that once ran as smooth as a Swiss clock, no longer run so smoothly. Sometimes, it can be felt quite noticably? Sometimes not. As I am not the "judge", I do not know the "fine." And, I cannot even say, that going back and correcting that, would be satisfactory payment. It could, but, it's not my call. One might even have to take "another lap around the mountain", to even arrive back at the place, or cause for said grieving. Again, it's not my call. One thing, I do know, is one, will emerge from the "experience", in a more better standing, then before. ;)

Apostasy, is a falling, or drifting away, from God!

Emulating, is like a copying, or an "acting" like, or out another's deeds, or words. Like? Emulating Christ is something we all strive for, and is an Holy endeavor. Emulating a man, or woman, who emulates Christ, because, one assumes they know Jesus better then you do? Or, "acting" like a believer, to "fit in" or, "get along", is something one should not do! For our Father WANTS the believer to reveal him/herself TO Him. He KNOWS what Paul, or Peter,

Beth-Aven, in the Hebrew, is translated (defined), as "Beth" (house) "Aven" (nothing).

NayborBear

I'll try! :)

Grieving The Holy Spirit, means one has given cause for our Father in heaven, who has given His Holy Spirit (Holy breath of life, or Rauch, in the Hebrew, or Pneuma, in the Greek), to incarcerate, or jail, imprison, bind up, the offender. What one does to cause such grieving? Could be something like, but certainly not limited to, a sense, or feeling or a longing to do something, or go somewheres, or say something, to a person, in a conversation, in a forum, at work, at church, on the street, in someone's house, and not doing it, or, not saying it, for whatever reason, or reasons. Or even praying to, or worshipping the Holy spirit, will grieve it. But, generally, a sense of guilt, or fear, a loss of peace, things that once ran as smooth as a Swiss clock, no longer run so smoothly. Sometimes, it can be felt quite noticably? Sometimes not. As I am not the "judge", I do not know the "fine." And, I cannot even say, that going back and correcting that, would be satisfactory payment. It could, but, it's not my call. One might even have to take "another lap around the mountain", to even arrive back at the place, or cause for said grieving. Again, it's not my call. One thing, I do know, is one, will emerge from the "experience", in a more better standing, then before. ;)

Apostasy, is a falling, or drifting away, from God!

Emulating, is like a copying, or an "acting" like, or out another's deeds, or words. Like? Emulating Christ is something we all strive for, and is an Holy endeavor. Emulating a man, or woman, who emulates Christ, because, one assumes they know Jesus better then you do? Or, "acting" like a believer, to "fit in" or, "get along", is something one should not do! For our Father WANTS the believer to reveal him/herself TO Him. He KNOWS what Paul, or Peter,

Beth-Aven, in the Hebrew, is translated (defined), as "Beth" (house) "Aven" (nothing).

Egadz!! I must have exceeded the word limit! :oops: O well!

Like I said. I'll try. :)