Be perfect.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

QuickenedByHim

Jun 18, 2017
Are you the same troll who keeps getting banned then coming back? I read 1 John 1:8-10 in context and in 1 John 1:8 - If we say that we have no sin (PRESENT TENSE), we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

As Greek scholar AT Robertson points out in 1 John 3:6 and 1 John 5:18 - Sinneth not (ouc amartanei). Linear present (linear menwn, keeps on abiding) active indicative of amartanw, "does not keep on sinning." For menw (abide) see Hebrews 2:6 ; John 15:4-10 . Whosoever sinneth (o amartanwn). Present (linear) active articular participle like menwn above, "the one who keeps on sinning" (lives a life of sin, not mere occasional acts of sin as amarthsa, aorist active participle, would mean).
Did you really just call me a troll? What are you talking about?

A "person that commits occasional acts of sin" is someone that keeps on sinning, so either way, you are proving yourself wrong.

E

eternally-gratefull

Whosoever is born of God does not sin, Read 1 John 5:18.

Then I guess no one is born of God. Paul called peter out for sin,, long after Jesus himself confirmed that peter was born of God. I guess all the word is a lie.

How long will you last this time?

E

eternally-gratefull

A "person that commits occasional acts of sin" is someone that keeps on sinning, so either way, you are proving yourself wrong.
Then I guess you are a sinner. as we all are. and non are born of God.

Look up Gods definition of sin, Not your own.

QuickenedByHim

Jun 18, 2017
Then I guess you are a sinner. as we all are. and non are born of God.

Look up Gods definition of sin, Not your own.

Sin is transgression of the law, all unrighteousness, and anything that is not done by faith.

Any act that you do that is not by faith is in, if you perform any acts of sin then you are most definitely born of the devil and NEED TO REPENT, just like Peter did.

"6 Whosoever abideth in Him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen Him, neither known Him.
7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as He is righteous.
8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for His seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
10 In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother." -1 John 3:6-9

Last edited:

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014

Occasional acts of sin is not what is meant by "keeps on sinning" in the Greek, as was already explained to you. It's you who has been proven wrong. Don't you have anything better to do than troll on CC?

E

eternally-gratefull

Sin is transgression of the law, all unrighteousness, and anything that is not done by faith.

Any act that you do that is not by faith is in, if you perform any acts of sin then you are most definitely born of the devil and NEED TO REPENT, just like Peter did.

"6 Whosoever abideth in Him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen Him, neither known Him.
7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as He is righteous.
8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for His seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
10 In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother." -1 John 3:6-9

Anything you do for self is sin.

Anytime you know to do right and do not do it is sin

Anytime you do not serve others, and instead serve self it is sin.

No man does this 24/7, if he says he does, as john said, he is decieved and there is no truth in him

E

eternally-gratefull

Occasional acts of sin is not what is meant by "keeps on sinning" in the Greek, as was already explained to you. It's you who has been proven wrong. Don't you have anything better to do than troll on CC?
Amen, It means habitual sin, or a sinful lifestyle.

A child of God does snot live like the world always self seeking and self serving.

E

eternally-gratefull

Wrong. It says whosoever is born of God SINS NOT. Stop changing the word of God.
Thats what the english translation says, that is not what the greek says.

Let me guess, you also belong to the KJV only cult?

May 13, 2017

It's sad QuickenedByHim You show yourself as a self righteous religious nut. I'm sure that you don't mean to be one. Lighten up and learn the Word instead of religion. God is not raising a bunch of lawyers.

unobtrusive

Jul 23, 2017
Let's stop the bickering, and consider King David. He was a man after God's own heart, yet he made 2 very devastating mistakes that were clearly defined as sinful in scripture.

The reason he was the way he was in God's eyes is because he never put anything or any other god (small g) in the place of the Almighty God in his own "heart's intention." That was always his forcus. That is classified as sinless, even though there were clear infractions against the Lord's will. The man repented of both, and more I would suppose, and he also paid the price for his actions. The summary is that King David never turned from God, and he always trusted totally in God despite his imperfections. That could be classified as sinless within the lines with semantics.

Put these 2 scripture references together written by the same Apostle.

" We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not." (1 John 5:18 KJV)

This seems to contradict 1 John 1:10 "If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us."

Now to reconcile those 2 passages let's see how God sees us.

"the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart." (1 Samuel 16:7b KJV)

Nevertheless, this is NOT licence to sin against God.

DustyRhodes

Dec 30, 2016
Perfect in today's vernacular means without blemish.
As I quickly scan through scripture I come up with
only One who was without blemish.

1Peter1: 19...but with the precious blood of Christ,
like that of a lamb without blemish or spot.

Zmouth

Nov 21, 2012
Ecclesiastes 7:20
For there is not a just man upon earth, that doeth good, and sinneth not.
Of course he concludes by saying, All this have I proved by wisdom: I said, I will be wise; but it was far from me. Eccl 7:23

37 Mark the perfect man, and behold the upright: for the end of that man is peace.
38 But the transgressors shall be destroyed together: the end of the wicked shall be cut off.
Ps 37:37-38

Righteousness keepeth him that is upright in the way: but wickedness overthroweth the sinner.
Prov 13:6

yep seems like we r all never gonna sin again huh
21 For the upright shall dwell in the land, and the perfect shall remain in it.
22 But the wicked shall be cut off from the earth, and the transgressors shall be rooted out of it.
Prov 2:21-22

May 12, 2017
Perfect in the context of the OP means Spiritual Maturity....

Zmouth

Nov 21, 2012
Is this talking about the Spirit or the flesh?
It is referencing neither, but rather those who are born of the Holy Ghost.
(Ghost is derived Phasma; meaning body or being of invisible light)

15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:
16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, ...
17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.
Col 1:15-17
John 1:5-6

Why would you believe that being born of God would be talking about the Spirit?

Every creature of flesh is born of the Spirit since the that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Without the spirit the flesh is dead so every living creature born of the flesh has a spirit.

Strong's Concordance
pneuma: wind, spirit
Original Word: πνεῦμα, ατος, τό
Part of Speech: Noun, Neuter
Transliteration: pneuma
Phonetic Spelling: (pnyoo'-mah)
Short Definition: wind, breath, spirit
Definition: wind, breath, spirit.

And, behold, I, even I, do bring a flood of waters upon the earth, to destroy all flesh, wherein is the breath of life, from under heaven; and every thing that is in the earth shall die. Gen 6:17

All in whose nostrils was the breath of life, of all that was in the dry land, died.Gen 7:22

Dec 9, 2011
Why would you believe that being born of God would be talking about the Spirit?
John 4:23-24
King James Version(KJV)

23.)But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.

24.)God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.