1
1Overcomer
Guest
Being the age that I am, 16, sometimes things can be a bit confusing for me. For example, sometimes adults tell me something is right, or it is wrong, but I struggle to agree with them. And due to the fact that they're usually Christians who are in authority over me, there have been times where I feel like I've been pushed down or pushed aside. Sometimes it feels like adults just don't allow kids to reach their full potential. Another example is, laying on of hands. You see adults do it all the time, but how come we don't have kids doing it? Is it just because adults think we're not responsible enough to pray to God on behalf of that person? I'm not trying to disrespect anyone, I really am just wondering... is there a greater potential in the younger generation then most people think? Are we hindering them?
I've even caught myself pushing aside someone who was maybe 5 years old because I thought they didn't know what they were talking about. But now, I've learned to listen to people, no matter what their age may be, and listen to their questions and where they are coming from. Usually what works for younger kids is when I ask them a question back, and then they just respond with the answer. Then they realize just what they were saying, whether it was right, or whether it was wrong.
That's another thing. When people younger than me say something that is definitely spot on, and I'm not sure if they know what it means, I ask them to explain. Sometimes, they can say a simple phrase and I know that they know what they're saying, just because kids are that smart, and they say simple yet profound things sometimes.
Thing is, I don't want to hinder their potential. So, I may ask a four year old to pray for me, or ask them to explain a Bible verse as to how they see it. Like John 3:16, when it says, "For God so loved the world,"... etc, I heard a kid say really loudly, "So it means that God loves the murderers and the people who killed him too, like the Pharisees as well, because he loves everyone". Or something like that.
Kids are smart, seriously! That one was probably one of the weakest examples that I've come across.
Remember the verse, Matthew 18:3 (NIV)
And he said: "Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.
Children keep it simple, and when I ask them if they could explain the bible in one sentence, they usually say, "God sent his son Jesus to die on the cross for us because we're sinners, and he loves us and wants to be with us but he can't be with sin."
Or, just three words, "God is love", and, "God loves everyone".
I'd like to encourage you to prepare your heart before God. If you struggle with serving self instead of God, now is a time when he is knocking at your door. "If you seek me, you will find me, if you search for me with all your heart."
James 4:8 (NLT)
Come close to God, and God will come close to you. Wash your hands, you sinners; purify your hearts, for your loyalty is divided between God and the world.
I've even caught myself pushing aside someone who was maybe 5 years old because I thought they didn't know what they were talking about. But now, I've learned to listen to people, no matter what their age may be, and listen to their questions and where they are coming from. Usually what works for younger kids is when I ask them a question back, and then they just respond with the answer. Then they realize just what they were saying, whether it was right, or whether it was wrong.
That's another thing. When people younger than me say something that is definitely spot on, and I'm not sure if they know what it means, I ask them to explain. Sometimes, they can say a simple phrase and I know that they know what they're saying, just because kids are that smart, and they say simple yet profound things sometimes.
Thing is, I don't want to hinder their potential. So, I may ask a four year old to pray for me, or ask them to explain a Bible verse as to how they see it. Like John 3:16, when it says, "For God so loved the world,"... etc, I heard a kid say really loudly, "So it means that God loves the murderers and the people who killed him too, like the Pharisees as well, because he loves everyone". Or something like that.
Kids are smart, seriously! That one was probably one of the weakest examples that I've come across.
Remember the verse, Matthew 18:3 (NIV)
And he said: "Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.
Children keep it simple, and when I ask them if they could explain the bible in one sentence, they usually say, "God sent his son Jesus to die on the cross for us because we're sinners, and he loves us and wants to be with us but he can't be with sin."
Or, just three words, "God is love", and, "God loves everyone".
I'd like to encourage you to prepare your heart before God. If you struggle with serving self instead of God, now is a time when he is knocking at your door. "If you seek me, you will find me, if you search for me with all your heart."
James 4:8 (NLT)
Come close to God, and God will come close to you. Wash your hands, you sinners; purify your hearts, for your loyalty is divided between God and the world.