Benefits of Speaking, Praying, and Singing in Tongues

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

joaniemarie

Jan 4, 2017
Is there such a thing as singing in tongues,

YES. I love to sing in tongues because it flows easily. Something about singing is flowing and calming. Little children sing a lot.

joaniemarie

Jan 4, 2017
How is it I heard HIS VOICE from the beginning when HE revealed the TRUTH of THE GOSPEL that I now need to be able to speak and pray in tongues in order to keep hearing HIM?

There is always more about Jesus to learn than what we first heard about Him. We are to be daily learning and daily changing in Christ. Our minds are to be renewed each and every day by the Word and Holy Spirit who has been given to us. Why be shocked when the Lord does what He says and begins to make all things new in our lives? It's AWESOME!!!!!

Psalm 103:4-5 Who redeems your life from the pit and corruption. Who beautifies, dignifies, and crowns you with loving kindness and tender mercy. Who satisfies your mouth (your necessity and desire at your personal age and situation) with good so that your youth, renewed is like the eagle's (strong, overcoming, soaring!!) Isa.40:31

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
How is it I heard HIS VOICE from the beginning when HE revealed the TRUTH of THE GOSPEL that I now need to be able to speak and pray in tongues in order to keep hearing HIM?
No one said you aren't born again. The baptism of Holy Spirit and the gifts are for ministry. Except for the language of the Spirit.

Hearing His Voice is what all born again should have.

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
Sorry Joanie...am back a page and didn't see you answer miknik.

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
Thats no matter of fear ore faith. To say that every believer can have the gift of speaking in tongues is simply not true! Its true that every believer is getting a gift for to build up His body.
Ok, well do you worship the Lord? If so...you may start speaking. But, I would think that unbelief stops all flow to us.

miknik5

Jun 2, 2016
1 Samuel 30 says David encouraged himself in the Lord. Now David was probably not speaking in tongues, but he was edifying himself because his men wanted to kill him over the severe loss they took at Ziklag.

I think anyone like you that says we should not edify ourselves is talking doctrine but not Biblical truth.
Ok. I get what you're saying

it is between you and THE LORD
HE knows if what you are doing is for HIS honor and glory

and that is what matters

miknik5

Jun 2, 2016
Ok, well do you worship the Lord? If so...you may start speaking. But, I would think that unbelief stops all flow to us.
What makes you able to judge if one is honiring THE LORD?

The lack of or the abundance of the gift of tongues is an indicator of ones faith in GOD?

How so?

miknik5

Jun 2, 2016
No one said you aren't born again. The baptism of Holy Spirit and the gifts are for ministry. Except for the language of the Spirit.

Hearing His Voice is what all born again should have.
No one can say orherwise

1 John 2 is truth

BenFTW

Oct 7, 2012
Is there such a thing as singing in tongues,
I don't believe you were looking for confirmation about people's experiences with singing in tongues but actual scriptural support, right?

[h=1]1 Corinthians 14:15 King James Version (KJV)[/h][FONT=&quot]15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

Given the context of 1 Corinthians 14, tongues, I think you can put two and two together. [/FONT]

miknik5

Jun 2, 2016

There is always more about Jesus to learn than what we first heard about Him. We are to be daily learning and daily changing in Christ. Our minds are to be renewed each and every day by the Word and Holy Spirit who has been given to us. Why be shocked when the Lord does what He says and begins to make all things new in our lives? It's AWESOME!!!!!

Psalm 103:4-5 Who redeems your life from the pit and corruption. Who beautifies, dignifies, and crowns you with loving kindness and tender mercy. Who satisfies your mouth (your necessity and desire at your personal age and situation) with good so that your youth, renewed is like the eagle's (strong, overcoming, soaring!!) Isa.40:31
And I need to be able to speak in tongues for HIM to work in my life?

miknik5

Jun 2, 2016
I don't believe you were looking for confirmation about people's experiences with singing in tongues but actual scriptural support, right?

1 Corinthians 14:15 King James Version (KJV)

15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

Given the context of 1 Corinthians 14, tongues, I think you can put two and two together.
But with both gifts. The ability to speak or sing in the SPIRIT and the ability to understand as well

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
What makes you able to judge if one is honiring THE LORD?

The lack of or the abundance of the gift of tongues is an indicator of ones faith in GOD?

How so?
?

What I said is that if one is worshipping the Lord, one may just start speaking in tongues.

You misunderstand...same as you misunderstand what I said about being one with the Lord.

It's what Jesus prays will happen to each of us.

BenFTW

Oct 7, 2012
But with both gifts. The ability to speak or sing in the SPIRIT and the ability to understand as well
Singing in the Spirit is singing in tongues, singing with understanding is singing in your native tongue. For me, that would be English. Now, one can ask for an interpretation to understand what they are saying in the spirit, if you'd like.

[h=1]1 Corinthians 14:13 King James Version (KJV)[/h][FONT=&quot]13 Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.[/FONT]

May 12, 2017
Ephesians 4

gifts are given for the building up (edification) of HIS BODY

Thats why if you speak in tongues but can not interpret what is being said, it is to your own personal edification

what is the point of exalting this gift if what is being said is not understandable

thats why Paul said if one speaks in tongues and there is no one to interpret what is being said, don't speak in tongues

it is t to anyone else's edification

and if an unbeliever were to come in they won't even be able to understand

Personal edification is found in Jude 20. I only included 21 because it is important to the context of 20

[SUP]20 [/SUP]But you, beloved, building yourselves up on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit,
[SUP]21 [/SUP]keep yourselves in the love of God, waiting anxiously for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to eternal life.

May 12, 2017
Anyone who speaks in tongues can not interpret that tongue, these are two different gifts, a speaker of tongues needs a interpreter flat out, anyone who says they can interpret as well as speak tongues is false.
Beyond, are you calling the Bible false?

1 Cor 14.13

[SUP]13 [/SUP]Therefore let one who speaks in a tongue pray that he may interpret.

Last edited:

joaniemarie

Jan 4, 2017
Sad thing for all believers which not got the gift of speaking in tongues.You made an experience but what finally was the Key for the healing? Long prayer? Singing and praying in tongues? It was the Lords Mercedes because he saw your heart.
According your experience all christians which have not the gift of speaking in tongues are 2nd class christians, because they never can experience what you did.
And bible says clear that not all christians will get the gift of speaking in tongues. I dont believe in a 2 class christianity.

88 said nothing about you or anyone else OR about the kind of Christians he thinks you are. Shheeessshhhh!!!! So., someone is healed and is giving a witness to the Lord for that blessing., you're going to be mad because you were not blessed too? And not only that but you'll attack your brother? No no that is wrong and you must stop.

If someone got blessed with a new job and they are giving a witness to the goodness of God in Christ are you going to be mad because you were not blessed the same way? I see a thread begun by 88 and He is soooo thankful to the Lord and joyful about how this gift of speaking in tongues has helped and blessed him in his Christian life that he seeks to share with the others in the household. Thank you 88!!!!

I'm very happy for you 88 and so glad you have been blessed!! I'm also in agreement with you because I too have been blessed by the gift of speaking in tongues and can also give a witness to the goodness and graciousness of God in Christ for this gift. I have also found healing with this gift too and I often sing during the day in this gift. And yes., I read in the Bible that all can have it if they want.

But if you don't want it., don't even read 88s thread. He already said that in his post. Whether we humans like it or not., we are not all the same and can't force others to think or believe the same way we do. So if you don't agree with having such a gift., avoid the thread since you can't find any joy or good in it. Find a thread you can be joyful in and add to it with your own witness.

BenFTW

Oct 7, 2012
If anyone wishes to be prideful here, I have a simple solution for you. God determined that we needed the gift of tongues, and He also decided that you didn't. It, the gift, is a blessing and it edifies us and builds our most holy faith (Jude 1:20). It seems that God saw that such a gift would be a help unto us, as for you I suppose He didn't. So you can see yourself as stronger, having greater faith, and less doubt, whatever to just let us operate in peace a gift God bestowed upon us for the Church and ourselves.

Thats one way to look at it if you're jealous or feeling robbed, or even if for some reason you feel looked down upon.

Of course the better alternative wouldn't be to see tongue speakers as weak, but just simply, gifted in a particular way as are you, making up the whole body. Each part essential, and having its role within the Body of Christ. No need for judgement but exhortation, encouraging another to operate in the things the Lord has gifted us, and edifying one another.

miknik5

Jun 2, 2016
?

What I said is that if one is worshipping the Lord, one may just start speaking in tongues.

You misunderstand...same as you misunderstand what I said about being one with the Lord.

It's what Jesus prays will happen to each of us.
What did you mean that unbelief stops all flow?

unbelief of THE LORD?
or did you mean unbelief of being given the gift of speaking in tongues?

Lord help my disbelief...if you will give me the gift of speaking in tongues, (or any gift for that matter) it will help my belief?

that doesn't sound right

that sounds as if we are asking for a sign
and it sounds as if we base our faith on tangible visible signs

May 12, 2017
If anyone wishes to be prideful here, I have a simple solution for you. God determined that we needed the gift of tongues, and He also decided that you didn't. It, the gift, is a blessing and it edifies us and builds our most holy faith (Jude 1:20). It seems that God saw that such a gift would be a help unto us, as for you I suppose He didn't. So you can see yourself as stronger, having greater faith, and less doubt, whatever to just let us operate in peace a gift God bestowed upon us for the Church and ourselves.

Thats one way to look at it if you're jealous or feeling robbed, or even if for some reason you feel looked down upon.

Of course the better alternative wouldn't be to see tongue speakers as weak, but just simply, gifted in a particular way as are you, making up the whole body. Each part essential, and having its role within the Body of Christ. No need for judgement but exhortation, encouraging another to operate in the things the Lord has gifted us, and edifying one another.
Ben,
I totally agree with you here.

I also think certain denominations and movements emphasize tongues far too much.

Mar 28, 2016
My purpose is not to engender strife and arguments about tongues, so if you don't like, believe, or practice tongues this is not for you; but if you are Spirit Filled and can speak in tongues I want to encourage you with what I have learned
I believe its not a matter of liking or not liking but is God still brining new prophecy (the word of God) ?

It would seem in order for you to justify your idea of tongues you say you do not engender a difference of opinion but then a say if you are Spirit Filled you can speak in tongues. The difference being if a person has not the Spirit they cannot justify that kind of idea . We walk by faith not after our experiences. Hunan experiences is not the validator of the unseen, the faith issueThat is what the unbelieving Jew required a sign in respect to something they would do before they would except the idea they had the Holy Spirit.

Prophecy as far a new revelations coming from the mouth of God , has ceased and therefore tongues has also.

Why people need more than God has revealed in order to believe with all their heart soul and mind remains a mystery. We are not to go above that which is written

Last edited: