Best Book to Teach HS Students

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Aug 20, 2021
John Steinbeck. You like him too??
I would would tell you its all fibs and i suppose you would not believe me.The books of Indians from the past are cool reads and of course people like Malcom x.I liked fictions reads like Mark Twain and the book Catcher in the Rye

Aug 20, 2021
a lot of us are just the devil believe it or not
John Steinbeck was a Nobel and Pulitzer Prize-winning American novelist and the author of Of Mice and Men, The Grapes of Wrath and East of Eden. Steinbeck

Lizzy

Jan 18, 2018
Idk any other author who could quietly open the readers mind. Its like u grew up after reading him. Did u change after reading him?
I'd agree with you about growing up after reading him. But that could possibly because his stories were pretty 'raw'. The characters he wrote about were solid. He didn't write about things he didn't know, he wrote about what the people he saw daily, migrants he worked alongside, families and individuals hanging out in the bars around town etc. His stories were about life. I don't think I changed after reading him, I did appreciate that he wrote about places and types of people that I knew. People that my parents grew up with. Families that worked hard, when my older siblings worked in the field, etc it gave me a more solid foundation of the county I grew up in. Living there, it made all his stories even more interesting.

T

TheIndianGirl

I don't remember what books I read in high school, except Jane Eyre. My favorite book is Wuthering Heights and I have heard high school students read this.

T

TheIndianGirl

I was fascinated by Dickens' Tale of two Cities for both the plot and his ability to paint pictures with words. His description of the Dover Mail at the beginning got me hooked. Maybe when I was a little younger, The Yearling by Rawlings was a favorite. While I did not fully understand all the political overtones, The Grapes of Wrath was also favored. For pure adventure, all three of The Bounty Trilogy by Nordhoff and Hall was treasured, especially Men against the Sea.
Yes, I read A Tale of Two Cities as well. One day my teacher slipped and said Tale of Two Titties, and after that we referred to this book with this name.

Lizzy

Jan 18, 2018
I was fascinated by Dickens' Tale of two Cities for both the plot and his ability to paint pictures with words. His description of the Dover Mail at the beginning got me hooked. Maybe when I was a little younger, The Yearling by Rawlings was a favorite. While I did not fully understand all the political overtones, The Grapes of Wrath was also favored. For pure adventure, all three of The Bounty Trilogy by Nordhoff and Hall was treasured, especially Men against the Sea.
Did you ever read Captains Courageous??

MatthewWestfieldUK

May 13, 2021
I'd agree with you about growing up after reading him. But that could possibly because his stories were pretty 'raw'. The characters he wrote about were solid. He didn't write about things he didn't know, he wrote about what the people he saw daily, migrants he worked alongside, families and individuals hanging out in the bars around town etc. His stories were about life. I don't think I changed after reading him, I did appreciate that he wrote about places and types of people that I knew. People that my parents grew up with. Families that worked hard, when my older siblings worked in the field, etc it gave me a more solid foundation of the county I grew up in. Living there, it made all his stories even more interesting.
I think that it takes empathy to write about real people and give light on their lives external and internal. I think that books.
Of mice and men probably told me too much about relationships and set me on a downward path in a way

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Flowers for Algernon...

I remember that was a short story although it was a novel too. I think with high school students length and maturity you want to take into consideration. Teenagers are still growing and yet to experience much of life. They need to enage in reading something they can relate too.

So any novel that might be about growing up or coming of age (called a bildungsroman) would appeal.

If you want an English classic, Charles Dickens' David Copperfield would be one. Or Charlotte Brontes Jane Eyre.

I cant think of that many American classics (more than 50 years old) that a high schooler would get much out of. Many have attempted to write 'the great american novel' but I dont know if there is just one.

To Kill a Mockingbird has been popular, but then I also see 12 years a slave on the classics shelf.I dont think The Great Gatsby qualifies even though its got 'Great' in the title.

Catcher in the Rye, for some strange reason appeals because of its deadbeat teenage protagonist, But I thought the Bell Jar, which I read at 19 had a more realistic heroine. Though there is a horrifying true story behind THAT novel.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
For christians...Uncle Toms Cabin

Harriet Beecher Stowes book that was very influential back in the day when people were literally burning printing presses if they were anti-slavery

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
The Alchemist by Paul Coehlo

If a book has been translated into many langauges, you can be sure that the story is good.

Seeker47

Aug 7, 2018
Did you ever read Captains Courageous??
No I have not. Lately all my reading has been Christian History. Right now I am reading the history of the medieval Cathars. I do need to lighten up!

Seeker47

Aug 7, 2018
For christians...Uncle Toms Cabin

Harriet Beecher Stowes book that was very influential back in the day when people were literally burning printing presses if they were anti-slavery
I too found this book to be fascinating. Every one has an opinion about it but very few have actually read it! It is a good story and absolutely great writing. I was impressed with Stowes' ability to attack the institution of slavery without attacking all those who were involved in its practice.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I too found this book to be fascinating. Every one has an opinion about it but very few have actually read it! It is a good story and absolutely great writing. I was impressed with Stowes' ability to attack the institution of slavery without attacking all those who were involved in its practice.
I liked it.
I thought it was a great read. I only read it last year though but I think a high school student could easily read it the lanagauge isnt difficult and the plot isnt too complicated that you get confused or too simple that you get bored.

Also its good to have a bit of context and history at the same time.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
Of Mice and Men
And
Flowers for Algernon

Of course neither of these two stories have a happy ending...but it's the discussion about the various and changing morality of the characters in these stories that was fascinating to me.

Discussing the motivations of the various characters in these stories was also of extreme importance.

Jules Verne 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea is another fairly good classic that can create great discussions along similar lines and include the historic and scientific components as well

Even the MC has issues with morality that is unacceptable in today's world.

Lizzy

Jan 18, 2018
I think that it takes empathy to write about real people and give light on their lives external and internal. I think that books.
Of mice and men probably told me too much about relationships and set me on a downward path in a way
Of Mice and Men was a pretty rough story.