Best scripture advice on how to improve relationships with family?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

ISeeWhat4U

May 22, 2014
Bethlehem PA
I love my entire family & I’m just wondering what kind of scripture-based advice would everybody give so I can improve those relationships even more?

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Philippians 4:8 (KJV)

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Dec 14, 2017
I love my entire family & I’m just wondering what kind of scripture-based advice would everybody give so I can improve those relationships even more?

Ephesians 4:29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your ...[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="class: s, bgcolor: #FFFFFF"]Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your ... but only what is helpful for building
others up according ... edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers ...
[SIZE=-1]//biblehub.com/ephesians/4-29.htm[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] - 19k[/SIZE][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Be slow to speak and quick to listen, try to understand how they feel about things and try to see from their perspective especially when they are having a hard time with something. Always be there to lend a helping hand being willing to do whatever you can to help out, if there is a family quarrel be a peacemaker and know when there is nothing you can do about the situation because honestly sometimes families just want to hash out and no amount of reasoning will do any good.

And perhaps the most important thing is to understand that there is no such thing as a perfect family but showing perfect love is a good start

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Just apply the teachings of 1 Corinthians 13 (which is easier said than done).

CHARITY = AGAPE LOVE

Charity suffereth long, [no impatience]

and is kind; [no unkindness]

charity envieth not; [no envy]

charity vaunteth not itself, [no boasting]

is not puffed up, [no pride]

Doth not behave itself unseemly,
[no unseemly behavior]

seeketh not her own, [no selfishness]

is not easily provoked, [no short fuse or chip on the shoulder]

thinketh no evil; [no evil-thinking]

Rejoiceth not in iniquity,
[no delight in wrongdoing]

but rejoiceth in the truth; [delight in truth and righteousness]

Beareth all things,

believeth all things,

hopeth all things,

endureth all things.

Last edited:

Huckleberry

Aug 25, 2013
Genesis 2:24
Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother,
and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

Feb 28, 2016
Honor, with discernment from God Almighty...and always remember, most marriages
are 'carnal', and not Jesus' decision, but from lust and selfishness,,,hence, what is
going on today and what our children are doing...

MariaJoy01

Nov 17, 2017
James 1:19-22
19 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath:
20 For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God.
21 Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.
22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves

Phillippians 2:2-5
2 fulfill my joy by being like-minded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind. 3 Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. 4 Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others.
5 Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus

PANCAKES

Apr 26, 2009
to be in his presence every day, to spend quality time talking with our creator. Every kind of love, fruit of the spirit and long suffering comes from knowing Jesus and residing in his presence. After all, Jesus is not just the source of life and love, He IS Life and Love.

You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forever more​
Psalm 16:11

And this is that testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life​
1 John 5: 11-12​

Last edited:

ISeeWhat4U

May 22, 2014
Bethlehem PA
I’m very grateful for all of the amazing advice that everyone posted on here. Thank you so much my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ, I appreciate it from the bottom of my heart. God bless you all!

Jan 4, 2018
This is probably one of my favorite topics as I have a big family and have had a lot to learn in this area through the years. The answer is really truly simple... "But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." (Matthew 6:33)

The temptation in trying to develop a better relationship with family is to follow a checklist... passages like 1 Corinthians 13 and Philippians 4:8 are checklists that we strive to follow after... the key though is this... those passages are simply listing the characteristics that naturally flow out of us when we have a right relationship with the Lord. The best way we can grow in our relationship with others is to grow in our own personal relationship with God.

I personally burned myself out years ago, because I was trying to follow the "checklist" in 1 Corinthians 13... Thing is, I myself CAN'T do any of it! I would do okay for a couple days, but then I'd fall... I got to a point where the Lord led me to just focus on my own personal relationship with the Lord, and I stopped focusing so hard on the others... What amazed me a few weeks later was that I was beginning to demonstrate those things in 1 Corinthians 13... NATURALLY!!

The key is that as we seek LOVE Himself and spend more time with Him, it will naturally flow out of us! And the same with every other area! :) Seeking Christ is the key, and as we seek Him first above all things, everything else will be added to us.

Feb 28, 2016
Jesus is the Glue that holds everything together, we are the ones who have a choice
to adhere to Him or reject Him, in everything that we do on a daily basis...
again, our choice...