Bible "study" Rules!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

GRACE_ambassador

Feb 22, 2021
Midwest
Grace And Peace, Precious friend(s). For your Encouragement and help:

Bible “study” Rules :

(1) “Let ALL things be done Decently and In Order!”
(
1 Corinthians 14:40 KJB!)

(2) Study ALL Scripture Rightly Divided! :

Study to shew thyself Approved unto God, a workman that
needeth not to be ashamed, Rightly Dividing The Word Of Truth!”
(
2 Timothy 2:15 KJB!)

(3) Never Ever add to, Or take away From, God’s PURE And Holy Word!
{ Including "God's Contexts!,"
[Prophecy] Rightly Divided from [MYSTERY]! }
(
Deuteronomy 4:2, 12:32; Proverbs 30:5-6; Revelation 22:18,19 KJB!)

(4) Be noble students :

These (in Berea) were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in
that they received The Word with all readiness of mind, and
searched The Scriptures daily, Whether Those Things Were So!”
(
Acts 17:11 KJB!)

(5) Build Sound Doctrine, God’s Way! :

(5a) “For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept;
line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little!”
(
Isaiah 28:10 KJB!)

(5b) Find ALL Related Scriptures For A Specific doctrine! :

ALL Scripture Is Given By Inspiration Of God, And Is
Profitable For Doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for
instruction in righteousness : that the man of God may
be perfect, throughly furnished unto ALL good works!”
(
2 Timothy 3:16-17 KJB!)

(5c) Compare ALL Related Scriptures to learn and know a
Specific doctrine! :

Which things also we speak, not in the words which man’s
wisdom teacheth, but Which The Holy Ghost Teacheth;
comparing spiritual things with spiritual!”
(
1 Corinthians 2:13 KJB!)
{Comparing Scripture With Scripture!}

Simplicity” in CHRIST! (2 Corinthians 11:3 KJB!) Amen?

(6) The Best "Interpretive" Commentary On The Bible Is :
The BIBLE Itself!

NEVER ever interpret The Many Plain Scriptures
by the "few" difficult verses, But, ALWAYS Always
Interpret
the few Obscure/Difficult/Dubious verses
By ALL Of The MANY Plain and Clear Passages Of
God’s Pure And Holy Word!
+
ONE Final Excellent Rule for Knowledgeable Bible study! :

(7) In order to Honor The Father And The SON (John 5:22-23 KJB!),
in Preparation For Judgment, Always keep {Uppermost} in mind :

Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do,
do ALL to The Glory Of God!” (
1 Corinthians 10:31 KJB!)
-----------------------------------
And then we ALL, who are "Called Into Fellowship With
God's SON, The LORD JESUS CHRIST" (
1 Corinthians 1:9 KJB!), And,

"Endeavouring For The Unity Of God's Spirit In The Bond Of
PEACE!..." (
Ephesians 4:3 KJB!), can obey God's Exhortations! :

...speak...the things which become Sound Doctrine!”
(
Titus 2:1 cp "SAME mind And judgment!" 1 Corinthians 1:10 KJB!)
Amen?

Would the Results of following All of God’s Rules Above Be:

That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in
love, and unto all Riches of the Full Assurance Of Understanding,
to the acknowledgement of The Mystery Of God, and of the Father,
and of CHRIST!” (
Colossians 2:2 KJB!)?
---------------------

Precious friend(s), Please Be Very RICHLY Blessed!

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
I'll bet you wish that everyone followed these ways. I'd bet that anyone who thinks this way would do well. :)

L

Live4Him

GRACE_ambassador said:

(
Hi, GRACE_ambassador.

Not to be contentious, but I have to disagree with the particular point of yours that I quoted.

Here's what that verse actually means, in context:

Isaiah chapter 28

[9] Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts.
[10] For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:
[11] For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people.
[12] To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear.
[13] But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.

In context, this whole "precept upon precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little" is presented in a NEGATIVE context.

In other words, in relation to those who did the same, here was the outcome:

"That they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken" (vs. 13).

Obviously, none of these outcomes are to be desired.

Contextually, Isaiah was prophesying of certain Israelites/Jews who "would not hear" or who would not receive "the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest" or "the refreshing" (vs. 12), but would instead cling to the law ("precept upon precept", etc., etc.).

This "rest" or "refreshing", in context, pertained to what Isaiah said in relation to "with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people" (vs. 11), and the apostle Paul interpreted this to mean the gift of speaking in tongues:

I Corinthians chapter 14

[21] In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord.
[22] Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

Hopefully, you can see this.

Thanks for reading.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
For many years I broke the rule to study all scripture, as I couldn't understand the old testament so avoided it. I finally found a person who promised me to only tell me of scripture, not his interpretation of it, or if he did interpret he would explain why. I used his commentary that was geared to explaining how the old and new testament agreed.

It was like having a key to the new testament, like opening a closed door.

Lucy-Pevensie

Dec 20, 2017
For many years I broke the rule to study all scripture, as I couldn't understand the old testament so avoided it. I finally found a person who promised me to only tell me of scripture, not his interpretation of it, or if he did interpret he would explain why. I used his commentary that was geared to explaining how the old and new testament agreed.

Are you reading a plain English version?

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
Hi, GRACE_ambassador.

Not to be contentious, but I have to disagree with the particular point of yours that I quoted.

Here's what that verse actually means, in context:

Isaiah chapter 28

[9] Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts.
[10] For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:
[11] For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people.
[12] To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear.
[13] But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.

In context, this whole "precept upon precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little" is presented in a NEGATIVE context.

In other words, in relation to those who did the same, here was the outcome:

"That they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken" (vs. 13).

Obviously, none of these outcomes are to be desired.

Contextually, Isaiah was prophesying of certain Israelites/Jews who "would not hear" or who would not receive "the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest" or "the refreshing" (vs. 12), but would instead cling to the law ("precept upon precept", etc., etc.).

This "rest" or "refreshing", in context, pertained to what Isaiah said in relation to "with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people" (vs. 11), and the apostle Paul interpreted this to mean the gift of speaking in tongues:

I Corinthians chapter 14

[21] In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord.
[22] Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

Hopefully, you can see this.

Thanks for reading.
Thanks for pointing these things out. I've literally taken notes, making my personal commentary more complete. Thanks again!
Exactly. I was the same, and so are most "Christians." I thought I knew and understood the Bible, even referring to myself as a "Master" of certain doctrines. Unfortunately, I hadn't even read the Old Testament, let alone understood any parts of it that I have read (over the course of my 50 years of living as an unsaved "Christian").

L

Live4Him

Thanks for pointing these things out. I've literally taken notes, making my personal commentary more complete. Thanks again!
You're welcome.

Glad that I could help (by God's grace).

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
The NLT is what changed my view and scope of the Bible. Without the NLT, which showed me the Core of the Bible, I wouldn't be able to understand the KJV or the more difficult-to-read translations. The NLT and KJV are my two favorites.

L

Live4Him

In relation to this whole properly understanding the Old Testament thing, I would make the following suggestion to everybody...a suggestion that I've been applying to my own study of God's word for more than 32 years now.

Please consider the following two encounters as recorded in Luke's gospel:

Luke chapter 24

[13] And, behold, two of them went that same day to a village called Emmaus, which was from Jerusalem about threescore furlongs.
[14] And they talked together of all these things which had happened.
[15] And it came to pass, that, while they communed together and reasoned, Jesus himself drew near, and went with them.
[16] But their eyes were holden that they should not know him.
[17] And he said unto them, What manner of communications are these that ye have one to another, as ye walk, and are sad?
[18] And the one of them, whose name was Cleopas, answering said unto him, Art thou only a stranger in Jerusalem, and hast not known the things which are come to pass therein these days?
[19] And he said unto them, What things? And they said unto him, Concerning Jesus of Nazareth, which was a prophet mighty in deed and word before God and all the people:
[20] And how the chief priests and our rulers delivered him to be condemned to death, and have crucified him.
[21] But we trusted that it had been he which should have redeemed Israel: and beside all this, to day is the third day since these things were done.
[22] Yea, and certain women also of our company made us astonished, which were early at the sepulchre;
[23] And when they found not his body, they came, saying, that they had also seen a vision of angels, which said that he was alive.
[24] And certain of them which were with us went to the sepulchre, and found it even so as the women had said: but him they saw not.
[25] Then he said unto them, O fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken:
[26] Ought not Christ to have suffered these things, and to enter into his glory?
[27] And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.

Here, Jesus, "beginning at Moses (the first 5 books of the OT) and all the prophets" (4 major prophets, 12 minor prophets, and there are other "prophets" mentioned in other historical OT books as well), "expounded unto them IN ALL THE SCRIPTURES", or the entire Old Testament, "the things concerning himself".

Since I first began reading the Bible more than 32 years ago, I have always prayed for God/Jesus to do the same exact thing for me that he (Jesus) did for these two men on the road to Emmaus, and he has done just that. God has consistently shown me "the things concerning himself" or the things concerning Jesus in the Old Testament, and, seeing how he's no respecter of persons, he'll do the same for others as well if they but ask him to.

Continuing on in this same 24th chapter of Luke, we read:

[36] And as they thus spake, Jesus himself stood in the midst of them, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.
[37] But they were terrified and affrighted, and supposed that they had seen a spirit.
[38] And he said unto them, Why are ye troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts?
[39] Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.
[40] And when he had thus spoken, he shewed them his hands and his feet.
[41] And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?
[42] And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.
[43] And he took it, and did eat before them.
[44] And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.
[45] Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,
[46] And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:
[47] And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.
[48] And ye are witnesses of these things.

Same exact principle.

Once again, we see Jesus "opening the understanding" of his disciples in order that "they might understand the scriptures (Old Testament), or understand what was "written in the law of Moses" (the first 5 books of the OT), and in the prophets (major, minor, and others mentioned elsewhere in the OT), and in the psalms concerning me", with the "me" being Jesus.

I have literally prayed for God to do the same for me every time that I've read the OT scriptures, and, again, he's done just that, and he'll do just that for you as well if you but ask him to.

Hopefully, this will ultimately help somebody reading this.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
I now use a special bible because it is printed in large print, and it happens to be Holman, but I use e-Sword to check other versions.

GRACE_ambassador

Feb 22, 2021
Midwest
Not to be contentious, but I have to disagree with the particular point of yours
Precious friend, Thanks So Much for your Excellent work, pointing this out.
I have reconsidered and updated the rules, so that this negative context
is eliminated, thus enabling more Positive encouragement for "faithful
study" of God's Wonderful Word Of Truth!

Thanks again, as "iron sharpens iron." Amen?

See you In God's Great GloryLand!! ♫ 😇 ↑

L

Live4Him

Precious friend, Thanks So Much for your Excellent work, pointing this out.
I have reconsidered and updated the rules, so that this negative context
is eliminated, thus enabling more Positive encouragement for "faithful
study" of God's Wonderful Word Of Truth!

Thanks again, as "iron sharpens iron." Amen?

See you In God's Great GloryLand!! ♫ 😇 ↑
You're welcome.

I'm glad that I could be of some assistance (by God's grace), and elated that you made the necessary change.

Have a blessed day in the Lord.

John146

Jan 13, 2016

Bible “study” Rules :

(

(

(

(4) Be noble students :

(

(

(

Specific doctrine! :

(

The BIBLE Itself!

Interpret
+

PEACE!..." (

(
Amen?

and of CHRIST!” (
---------------------

Isaiah 28
9 Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts.
10 For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:

Gardenias

Oct 27, 2020
U.S.A.
Kinda like Peter {ignorant and unlearned], who walked With JESUS, and knew who
Moses And Elias [Elijah?] were in "The Transfiguration" (Matthew 17:4 KJB!), eh?

Thank you! I have applied these guidelines to my own study for many years,good form!

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
Yeah I like the guidelines I learned ..

Who is speaking to whom?

What is the subject?

What is the occasion?

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI

Bible “study” Rules :

(

(

(

(4) Be noble students :

(

(

(

Specific doctrine! :

(

The BIBLE Itself!

Interpret
+

PEACE!..." (

(
Amen?

and of CHRIST!” (
---------------------

Isaiah 28:10
Easy-to-Read Version
10 He speaks to us as though we were babies:

“Saw lasaw saw lasaw
Qaw laqaw qaw laqaw
Ze’er sham ze’er sham.”[a]

Read full chapter
Footnotes
Isaiah 28:10 Saw lasaw … ze’er sham This is probably a Hebrew song to teach little children how to write. It sounds like baby talk or a foreign language, but it can also be translated, “A command here, a command there. A rule here, a rule there. A lesson here, a lesson there.” Also in verse 13.

CSB
“Law after law, law after law, line after line, line after line, a little here, a little there.”
CEB
It is “tsav letsav, tsav letsav; qav leqav, qav leqav,” a little of this, a little of that.
CJB
so that [one has to use nursery rhymes]? — Tzav la-tzav, tzav la-tzav, kav la-kav, kav la-kav z‘eir sham, z‘eir sham [Precept by precept, precept by precept, line by line, line by line, a little here, a little there].
CEV
You don’t even listen— all you hear is senseless sound after senseless sound.
EXB
So ·they make fun of the Lord’s prophet and say [or the Lord must repeat himself again and again; L For it is]: “·A command here, a command there [T Precept upon precept, precept upon precept]. ·A rule here, a rule there [T Line upon line, line upon line; C Hebrew: tsav latsav tsav latsav / kav lakav kav lakav; it may be the people mocking the words of the prophets as nonsense; or it may refer to God repeating himself because the people will not listen]. A little lesson here, a little lesson there [L A little there, a little there].”

https://www.biblegateway.com/verse/en/Isaiah 28:10

Isaiah 28

Easy-to-Read Version

Warnings to Northern Israel
28 Look at Samaria!
The drunks of Ephraim are proud of that city.
It sits on a hill with a rich valley around it.
The Samarians think their city is a beautiful crown of flowers.
But they are drunk with wine,
and this “beautiful crown” is just a dying plant.
2 Look, the Lord has someone who is strong and brave.
He will come into the country like a storm of hail and rain.
Like a powerful river of water flooding the country,
he will throw that crown[a] down to the ground.
3 The drunks of Ephraim are proud of their beautiful crown,
but that city will be trampled down.
4 That city sits on a hill with a rich valley around it.
But that beautiful crown of flowers is just a dying plant.
It will be like the first figs of summer.
As soon as someone sees a ripe one, they pick it and eat it.
5 At that time the Lord All-Powerful will become the “Beautiful Crown.” He will be the “Wonderful Crown of Flowers” for his people who are left. 6 Then he will give wisdom to the judges who rule his people. He will give strength to the people who are in battles at the city gates. 7 But now those leaders are drunk. The priests and prophets are all drunk with wine and beer. They stumble and fall down. The prophets are drunk when they see their dreams. The judges are drunk when they make their decisions. 8 Every table is covered with vomit. There is not a clean place anywhere.
God Wants to Help His People
9 The people say, “Who does he think he is trying to teach and explain his message to? Does he think we are babies who were at their mother’s breast only a very short time ago? 10 He speaks to us as though we were babies:
“Saw lasaw saw lasaw
Qaw laqaw qaw laqaw
Ze’er sham ze’er sham.”
11 So God will use this strange way of talking, and he will use other languages to speak to these people.
12 In the past he spoke to them and said, “Here is a resting place. Let those who are tired come and rest. This is the place of peace.”
But they would not listen to him. 13 So the Lord’s words will be senseless sounds[c] to them:
“Saw lasaw saw lasaw.
Qaw laqaw qaw laqaw.
Ze’er sham ze’er sham.”
When the people try to walk, they will fall backwards. They will be defeated, trapped, and captured.
No One Escapes God’s Judgment
14 You leaders in Jerusalem should listen to the Lord’s message, but now you refuse to listen to him. 15 You have said, “We have made an agreement with death. We have a contract with death. So we will not be punished. Punishment will pass us without hurting us. We will hide behind our tricks and lies.”
16 Because of these things, the Lord God says, “I will put a rock—a cornerstone—in the ground in Zion. This will be a very precious stone.[d] Everything will be built on this very important rock. Anyone who trusts in that rock will not be disappointed.[e]

kenallen

Apr 8, 2022
Gr

Bible “study” Rules :

(

(

(

(4) Be noble students :

(

(

(

Specific doctrine! :

(

The BIBLE Itself!

Interpret
+

PEACE!..." (

(
Amen?

and of CHRIST!” (
---------------------

Precious friend(s), Please Be Very RICHLY Blessed! [/QUOTE
Grace are you the person that told me about the Bereans? I want to be like them.