Bible versions-Is there only one?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Is there only one true version of the Bible?

• Total voters
Nov 23, 2013
1 Corinthians 5:7 Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us:
People that bash the KJV translators over Easter have no clue why they did what they did. They believe morons like James White rather than digging in to find the truth.... and they call us lazy.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
People that bash the KJV translators over Easter have no clue why they did what they did. They believe morons like James White rather than digging in to find the truth.... and they call us lazy.
What is most disturbing is that professing Christians RESIST THE TRUTH.

As we can see from the results of the polls, those who are resisting the truth are in the majority. They refuse to believe that the modern bible versions are ALL corrupt therefore they must ALL be discarded. They also refuse to search out this matter as you have said -- dig in and dig out the truth.

But we can also see that -- in this present evil world -- the power of the lie is greater than the power of the truth. This not only applies to Bible versions, but false doctrines, and also the lies that are promoted daily by the media and politicians. And we are told in the Bible that Satan's primary weapon in deception (lies). Therefore Christian are warned to beware of false apostles, false prophets and false teachers. Now we can also add false bibles.

Lucy-Pevensie

Dec 20, 2017
What is most disturbing is that professing Christians RESIST THE TRUTH.

As we can see from the results of the polls, those who are resisting the truth are in the majority. They refuse to believe that the modern bible versions are ALL corrupt therefore they must ALL be discarded. They also refuse to search out this matter as you have said -- dig in and dig out the truth.

But we can also see that -- in this present evil world -- the power of the lie is greater than the power of the truth. This not only applies to Bible versions, but false doctrines, and also the lies that are promoted daily by the media and politicians. And we are told in the Bible that Satan's primary weapon in deception (lies). Therefore Christian are warned to beware of false apostles, false prophets and false teachers. Now we can also add false bibles.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
ALL MODERN VERSIONS WERE BASED UPON A MAJOR HOAX. THAT THE MOST CORRUPT MANUSCRIPTS ARE THE BEST.

How did this come about? If you want the truth obtain a copy of The Revision Revised by John William Burgon and have your eyes opened. Reprints are available from this source:
http://biblefortoday.org

Burgon's other books are also available there. And Dean Burgon was a genuine New Testament scholar who actually collated manuscripts and devoted his life to this work. He was highly regarded by the leading scholar of the 19th century -- F.H. A. Scrivener. And the feeling was mutual.

Jun 10, 2019
Well most of us without an agenda to protect lol, we call the fulfillment of Passover Easter. But again, you may be right. The KJV translators knew nothing about translating. I mean to think that they were so inept as to translate Passover correctly in every other place but this one very specific and unique spot.

To me it’s almost like God inspired the translators to make that verse a stumbling stone and rock of offense to doubters.
your right every little word isn’t going to line up perfectly with other languages that isn’t going to happen.

What was finished on the cross was the fulfillment of the law no more slaying of lambs was needed.

Like a four leaf clover perfectly imperfect

Jun 10, 2019
So Peter and the other believers would not be celebrating Passover but Christ our Passover.
Your correct it was Herod who was trying to please the Jews.

Acts 12
3And seeing that this pleased the Jews, Herod proceeded to seize Peter during the Feast of Unleavened Bread.

the wordage isn’t about peter and other believers it was about what Herod was doing to please the Jews thus Passover is the better choice for that verse 4

Jun 10, 2019
Nov 23, 2013
your right every little word isn’t going to line up perfectly with other languages that isn’t going to happen.

What was finished on the cross was the fulfillment of the law no more slaying of lambs was needed.

Like a four leaf clover perfectly imperfect
I agree. The word of God isn't bound by language. The message can be conveyed hundreds of different ways and still maintain the message.

Lucy-Pevensie

Dec 20, 2017
ALL MODERN VERSIONS WERE BASED UPON A MAJOR HOAX. THAT THE MOST CORRUPT MANUSCRIPTS ARE THE BEST.

How did this come about? If you want the truth obtain a copy of The Revision Revised by John William Burgon and have your eyes opened. Reprints are available from this source:
http://biblefortoday.org

Burgon's other books are also available there. And Dean Burgon was a genuine New Testament scholar who actually collated manuscripts and devoted his life to this work. He was highly regarded by the leading scholar of the 19th century -- F.H. A. Scrivener. And the feeling was mutual.

Muslim clerics often claim that the Bible is corrupt and unauthentic. They claim the church has corrupted the biblical texts so that only the Qur’an preserves the genuine message of God. You are helping their cause and hurting your brothers with this treacherous, hostile nonsense.

Nov 23, 2013
Muslim clerics often claim that the Bible is corrupt and unauthentic. They claim the church has corrupted the biblical texts so that only the Qur’an preserves the genuine message of God. You are helping their cause and hurting your brothers with this treacherous, hostile nonsense.
Do you believe that God allows the corruption of his word?

Dec 30, 2019
I ask with a gentle spirit and much respect, what value does knowing the age of the Earth add to one’s life?
What value does the Bible add to our life? I have found that when you read the Bible it is best to start at the beginning. The first word in the Bible is the word Beginning. So to put the entire Bible in perspective it is a good idea to ask when was the beginning. God calls this the foundation of the world and this gives us something to build on. In the construction business with the exception of pole barns, you have to have a foundation to build on. The government inspectors require that and Jesus teaches we need to build on a foundation.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
How many did it go through and what changed?
This is irrelevant to my stance. I hold that revisions are good. The opponent held that revisions are bad. You can research what all has been changed in the 1611 KJV or how many times, doesn't matter to me.

Doesn't matter if it's the KJV, the KJ21, the NKJV, or the AKJV.

KJV only folks try to promote as something above than what is. It is a translation written in old English that has been revised throughout history to become even more accurate. Most modern ones have done the same but only dropped the old English translation. The Bible wasn't written in old English so any English translation is just the publishers closest English to Hebrew/greek word they feel is the closest meaning.

Really though with as much criticism, technology, and discoveries we have on the manuscripts of scripture. It couldn't be easy to hide and promote a false Bible or as some say all modern versions are corrupt.

Nov 23, 2013
This is irrelevant to my stance. I hold that revisions are good. The opponent held that revisions are bad. You can research what all has been changed in the 1611 KJV or how many times, doesn't matter to me.

Doesn't matter if it's the KJV, the KJ21, the NKJV, or the AKJV.

KJV only folks try to promote as something above than what is. It is a translation written in old English that has been revised throughout history to become even more accurate. Most modern ones have done the same but only dropped the old English translation. The Bible wasn't written in old English so any English translation is just the publishers closest English to Hebrew/greek word they feel is the closest meaning.

Really though with as much criticism, technology, and discoveries we have on the manuscripts of scripture. It couldn't be easy to hide and promote a false Bible or as some say all modern versions are corrupt.
The only revisions that I’m aware of are spelling changes and print typos. I thought maybe you had something else.

Dec 30, 2019
I think that taking God at his word is a good idea. Now there is some room for debate at to what a day constituted during the 6 days of creation, but you can't come to millions of years so as far as my understanding of day, I'm going with literal interpretation and am satisfied with a regular old 24 hour day. Why not, God is so beyond our understanding in so many ways. If he had chosen it could have been 6 minutes.
I am a dispensationalist so I believe a day is 1,000 year. Yet I still believe in a literal 24 hour day if you go back 12,990 years to the beginning of the age or era that we live in. There was a massive extinction at the time. This is when the Whooly Mamonth and Saber tooth tiger went extinct. God marks this event with a Nanodiamond comet. I am not saying this is a cause, just a marker. Genesis 1:2 tells us: "Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep". We know that the earth had been hit by a comet and the dust from that comet would have created darkness on the earth. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/01/090101172136.htm

Now I will answer what the scientist call millions of years. God is eternal, and the creation story is what is relative to us. What he did in eons past we have no idea. Is it possible he used the same molecules and materials over and over building, breaking down, and building again. Who knows but God himself. I'm sure when we are with him in his kingdom we will learn these things. What I am sure of is that God being eternal means it is not likely that he did nothing for the eternity prior to creating this heavens and Earth.
In the beginning there were four elements: hydrogen - helium with traces of lithium & beryllium. Soon stars were formed and the other elements were produced in the furnace of a star.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Muslims attack the true Bible. But deluded lower critics also attack the true Bible. And that is how we ended up with a score of false bibles. And that has given Muslims a greater opportunity to attack the true Bible.

What you (and others) should be doing is carefully researching the origin of the modern bible version issue. Which you obviously have not done. Do you know that the Higher Critics were up to? And do you know what the Lower Critics were up to? It is so-called Christian scholars who attacked the Bible more vigorously than any Muslim.

Dec 30, 2019
Did God give us His word, told us to live by every word, and yet not preserve His words for us today?
We are not only to live by every letter, we are to live by every stroke of the pen. Some letters require 4 strokes to make and each one has a meaning that is infinite. This is why Jesus says: "For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished." (Matthew 5:18)