Bibles for children

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Genipher

Jan 6, 2019
I went on the website but didn't see if it was based off a translation or not...is it just picture stories?
I'm considering what to give my nephews. It's nice to have options.

I think the precious moments bible is just KJV with some pictures.

I really like the idea of breaking the word down into book format (much like how the NIV did it with 4 books in a bound book) and sort of have a library. Would be good for a lot of people that just want to read. For studying obviously it would fall flat.

I don't particularly like the NIV as much anymore, I'm not going to get into theories as to why ;)
It's basically the Bible in comic book form, which really appealed to my boys.

Oh, and I just looked at our new copy of it... Isn't really affiliated with any version.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Would you introduce children to the Bible though with stories from it with individual picture books?

Or provide other material like bible atlases and dictionaries, coloring in etc.

I mean so they get familiar with it, when it comes time to read the actual Bible, they kind of already know many of the stories.

I mean many of the parables Jesus told were quite simple stories that are enough to illustrate a book.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I visited the christian bookstore today.
I found a translation/retelling in maori with pictures for my bilingual teachers could read out loud in class or library.

I also found a comic book bible that was not as big as the Action Bible, but handy chapter book size not too thick I reckon 6-11s could read that.

Another I came across was the Bible illustrated by minecraft characters?!

I couldnt find anything that was separate books of the Bible like the first five books of Moses or just the new testament parables of Jesus or something that would be like the Jesus story book Bible but not so 'girly' looking. I found warrior bibles for boys and princess bibles for girls and a woolly sheep childrens bible ...it had a woolly sheep on the pale blue cover it was very cute looking ..a complete bible in international childrens version, I was quite 'tempted'to buy it. And it was marked down. And the only one left.

But then I thought who would I give that to?

Mar 21, 2019
I found a translation/retelling in maori with pictures for my bilingual teachers could read out loud in class or library.

I also found a comic book bible that was not as big as the Action Bible, but handy chapter book size not too thick I reckon 6-11s could read that.

I couldnt find anything that was separate books of the Bible like the first five books of Moses or just the new testament parables of Jesus or something that would be like the Jesus story book Bible but not so 'girly' looking. I found warrior bibles for boys and princess bibles for girls and a woolly sheep childrens bible ...it had a woolly sheep on the pale blue cover it was very cute looking ..a complete bible in international childrens version, I was quite 'tempted'to buy it. And it was marked down. And the only one left.

What? You don't have any livestock? :)

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
Oh by the way...Focus on the family has a new Adventures in Odyssey Bible.

I keep hearing the radio ads for it :p

Genipher

Jan 6, 2019

We used to have a Lego Bible...Basically it was a comic book with every story done using Legos but it was was a bit too graphic for the kids, so I ended up returning it to the bookstore.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
What? You don't have any livestock? :)
The chicken cant read.
Our lawnmower is petrol driven, sadly. If I was allowed a pet lamb, I would have one. But...rules of suburbia dictate that you supposed to have a car in every garage and a lawn mower..and the only place you find children 9-3pm every week is fenced off in a primary school while the parents are at work. They supposed to be learning stuff in those hours ...

CherieR

May 6, 2017
Im wondering why nobodys mentioned the msg bible, suposedly in contemproary language.
Or the living translation.

I often see these Bibles marketed or packaged to appeal to youth or children, but theres not much evidence they actually read them.

I will ask at my christian bookstore. Theres a bewildering array of Bibles for children. Which ones actually get read?
The message bible is not a good translation. I have heard it read before and sometimes puts stuff in the text that are not there at all. I never really liked it. The NLT does not seem to bad but it may at times be too paraphrased. One verse I read from the KJV and one from the NLT it seemed they were saying different things. So I may be a bit new to the NLT, some things I find I like fine and some things about it not so much. I liked the NIV ok but now I think if I am not mistaken that there is a new NIV that is different from the older NIV in certain ways things are phrased.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
The message bible is not a good translation. I have heard it read before and sometimes puts stuff in the text that are not there at all. I never really liked it. The NLT does not seem to bad but it may at times be too paraphrased. One verse I read from the KJV and one from the NLT it seemed they were saying different things. So I may be a bit new to the NLT, some things I find I like fine and some things about it not so much. I liked the NIV ok but now I think if I am not mistaken that there is a new NIV that is different from the older NIV in certain ways things are phrased.
Im not a fan of the msg Bible and when people quote from it I just find it strange. I havent read the whole msg Bible but whenever I hear or read it quoted it just seems a bit off...
I found out that the author claims he made the paraphrase because he was wanting to read the Bible to his adult congregation though. They couldnt really understand it so he just decided to make his own translation.

I found some youth Bibles CEV but also some that had NIrV which means revised NIV version.
I am a bit wary of all these new bibles that always come out like the cleaners that say we got a new formula with extra fresh lemon scent.
Do they mean to say the old formula wasnt working?

The guy at the bookshop said they used to have 'the passion translation' which divided the Bible up into different books. Has anyone read those?

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
The lords prayer in msg translation is really strange..., instead of thy kingdom come, thy will be done ..

It has some other weird prayer that goes... youre in charge, you are ablaze in beauty, yes yes yes!

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Just as an experiment, I will leave a childrens Bible and an old extra copy of KJV I have in the library on a display shelf and see if any of the children are drawn to it. I wont say anything about it at all just observe.