Biblical Baptism in the Name of Jesus

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Oct 12, 2011
Sorry I don't agree with your interpretation.

John the baptist spoke of three baptisms.

water, spirit and fire.

Water baptism is ceremonial
Spirit baptism is spiritual
Fire baptism is eternal (this fire will never be quenched)

so which one do you want?

All of them.

Water-----The Word---Christ
Eph 5:26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,

Spirit----The Word----Christ

2Co 3:3 Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.
Co 3:6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

Fire-----The Word----Christ

Heb 1:7 And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire.
Co 3:15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.
Isa 33:14 The sinners in Zion are afraid; fearfulness hath surprised the hypocrites. Who among us shall dwell with the devouring fire? who among us shall dwell with everlasting burnings?

Water, Spirit, Fire, All which is Christ Himself, The Living Word.

F

feedm3

1Jn 5:6 This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth.
1Jn 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
1Jn 5:8 And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.

Baptism is spiritual, because it is the spirit that commanded it.
When one is baptized the Spirit is at work:
1. "washing away our sins" - Acts 22:16.
1. Adding us to the church - Acts 2:38, 47,
2. Putting us in Christ - Rom 6:1-3, Gal 3:27
3. Raising us to walk in "newness of life" - Rom 6:1-3.

It is an obedient act to what is commanded to all Christians, given by the Spirit for Spiritual purposes - Mrk 16:16, Matt 28:18-f.

F

feedm3

All of them.

Eph 5:26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,

2Co 3:3 Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.
Co 3:6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

Heb 1:7 And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire.
Co 3:15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.
Isa 33:14 The sinners in Zion are afraid; fearfulness hath surprised the hypocrites. Who among us shall dwell with the devouring fire? who among us shall dwell with everlasting burnings?

The more I ponder on this statement the more I am amazed how you helped to reveal the perfect harmony of the three (water, Spirit, fire) in Christ.
That is a powerful and beautiful statement,
Thanks.

J

Jesuslluvs

As this subject is controversial, its certain that it will generate disputations. Be as it may the bible very clearly promotes the name of Jesus in baptism throughout the book of Acts.

But baptism is not a New Testament concept of purification, it is deeply rooted in Jewish practice and religious worship in the Old Testament as well.

When reading the Gospels many mainstream Christians fail to realize that they are reading the continued Old Testament, the proof of this is by the Apostle Pauls own statement in Heb. 9:17

For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.

But I like the clarity of this verse in the NIV 1984

because a will is in force only when somebody has died; it never takes effect while the one who made it is living.

Jesus made this clear at the last supper when he said...

For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

And so it is self evident that after his resurrection and before he ascended, that he made it clear to teach all nations baptizing them in the Name and thus concluding to observe whatsoever he had commanded.

The point is, is that Jesus commission baptism in the New testament, but that baptism was a regular practise prior to our Lords departure.

But notice that beforetime baptism was called the baptism of repentance, so named by the prophet John the Baptist, afterwards we find a command to repent and be baptize in the Name of Jesus Christ (Acts 2:38)

It is obvious that according to Matt. 26:28 that this is indeed the will of the Master, therefore anyone who denies his Name for the remission of sins in baptism, does not honor the will of the Master.

From my keyboard and to your eyes...

Prophecyman
I agree that this is a heavy topic among many...

I agree with your post. It is indeed important that baptizing in Jesus name for the remission of sins should be professed during one's baptism. Not only is remission of sins in the shedding of his blood, but the authority of Jesus Christ (the Son) holds must reign until all things are under subjection [Hebrews 2:8], and therefore holds ALL power in heaven and on earth [Isaiah 9:6, Matthew 28:18]. Salvation is in his [Jesus] name (Jehovah is Salvation or Jehovah-Saviour), thus being no other name that we're saved by [Acts 4:12].

When Jesus gave the commandment to the disciples to baptize in the NAME of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, he does not mention the word "name" [onoma] in plural form [Matthew 28:19]. These are titles that are obviously held by God, thus having no power, and is binding in the one name (Jesus Christ). The apostles evidently obeyed this commandment, and there is no scriptural reference that says otherwise where they baptized in the book of Acts. We should know from a biblical stand point that the name of the Father is Jesus [John 5:43], the name of the Son obviously is Jesus [Mt 1:21, Lk 1:31], the name of the Holy Ghost is Jesus [John 14:26].

The greek word for "name" is [onoma], and according to the Lexicon it states specifically for Matthew 28:19 by baptism to bind anyone to recognize the diginity and authority of one. Although I do not agree with some of things they "suggest" the bible states, I do have a pretty good discernment that even some of the theologians recognize Jesus Christ's authority. So Jesus Christ in this case has ALL power (authority), he didn't say some, but ALL. So it does not deny the Father and the Holy Ghost as some others who hold to man made doctrines.

Many people also profess this only as an "ordinance" or a "symbolic ritual" of the church along with the Lord's supper, but Jesus simply put that those who are not born of water and of the Spirit shall not enter into the kingdom of God [John 3:3-5, Mark 16:16]. It may be a hard pill to swallow for some, but this is what Jesus Christ requires of us and if we love him, keep his commandments [John 14:15].

Yes indeedy that there is only one Spirit [Eph 4:4]. And in the self same verse in the book of Romans it mentions "the Spirit of God"/"the Spirit of Christ", but is still one in the self same Spirit [Romans 8:26].

J

Jesuslluvs

All of them.

LOL! I know that's right, amen! I want all of them too. Well put :D

P

prophecyman

I agree that this is a heavy topic among many...

I agree with your post. It is indeed important that baptizing in Jesus name for the remission of sins should be professed during one's baptism. Not only is remission of sins in the shedding of his blood, but the authority of Jesus Christ (the Son) holds must reign until all things are under subjection [Hebrews 2:8], and therefore holds ALL power in heaven and on earth [Isaiah 9:6, Matthew 28:18]. Salvation is in his [Jesus] name (Jehovah is Salvation or Jehovah-Saviour), thus being no other name that we're saved by [Acts 4:12].

When Jesus gave the commandment to the disciples to baptize in the NAME of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, he does not mention the word "name" [onoma] in plural form [Matthew 28:19]. These are titles that are obviously held by God, thus having no power, and is binding in the one name (Jesus Christ). The apostles evidently obeyed this commandment, and there is no scriptural reference that says otherwise where they baptized in the book of Acts. We should know from a biblical stand point that the name of the Father is Jesus [John 5:43], the name of the Son obviously is Jesus [Mt 1:21, Lk 1:31], the name of the Holy Ghost is Jesus [John 14:26].

The greek word for "name" is [onoma], and according to the Lexicon it states specifically for Matthew 28:19 by baptism to bind anyone to recognize the diginity and authority of one. Although I do not agree with some of things they "suggest" the bible states, I do have a pretty good discernment that even some of the theologians recognize Jesus Christ's authority. So Jesus Christ in this case has ALL power (authority), he didn't say some, but ALL. So it does not deny the Father and the Holy Ghost as some others who hold to man made doctrines.

Many people also profess this only as an "ordinance" or a "symbolic ritual" of the church along with the Lord's supper, but Jesus simply put that those who are not born of water and of the Spirit shall not enter into the kingdom of God [John 3:3-5, Mark 16:16]. It may be a hard pill to swallow for some, but this is what Jesus Christ requires of us and if we love him, keep his commandments [John 14:15].

Yes indeedy that there is only one Spirit [Eph 4:4]. And in the self same verse in the book of Romans it mentions "the Spirit of God"/"the Spirit of Christ", but is still one in the self same Spirit [Romans 8:26].
Well written, thank you for your truth filled post!

Feb 16, 2011
Baptising in the name of Jesus is correct. So is baptising in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. When you say in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit you have mentioned Jesus as the Son. Therefore baptism in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, is baptism in the name of Jesus.

May 25, 2010
As i interpret it, baptizies (washing in water) was a ritual performed on those who were entering
the priesthood (Levites only); but, the Baptism of John in water for the remission of sins was the
necessary Baptismal ritual to annoint Jesus into His Ministry. From the time of Adam, and even by the
Law (Mosaic), sins were remitted only by the shedding of blood; but, John brought in the Baptism in
water, which was to be only for a time (as stated above), until Jesus could offer His Blood as the
final remission of sins. as such, GOD is back in the blood business, but the blood is HIS OWN. 1JN1:2
clearly says that it is the Blood (Jesus') which 'cleanseth us from all sin': and he made not mention of
water! Therefore then, since there is only one Baptism, those who believe in the water baptism for the
remission of sin not only underestimate the Power of Christ's Blood (trusting in the water), but they
might well miss the Baptism of the Holy Ghost.

A question to ponder. If all things were in order after Jesus went to back to heaven 40 days after
HE was resurrected, why was it then necessary for Him to annoint Paul, who was condeming
christians to death (Stephen was one)?. Or. if water baptism is so important to salvation, why did
Jesus not baptize anyone?

B

babyboyblue

We should know from a biblical stand point that the name of the Father is Jesus [John 5:43], the name of the Son obviously is Jesus [Mt 1:21, Lk 1:31], the name of the Holy Ghost is Jesus [John 14:26].

Interesting. Never looked saw it like this before. I always thought Jesus was the name given to the incarnate God. Before He became man, what was his name? Since he became man, and was given the name Jesus, did that automatically change the name of the Father in heaven and his Holy Spirit?

I've come to understand that a name is a representation of something or someone else. Say for instance, "I come in the name of Love", "I come in the name of grace" or "I come in the name of the King". My name is neither love nor grace nor king, but that I come representing these. So for me, Jesus meant, I come representing the Father (John 5:43) and His Holy Spirit will be sent representing Jesus or God the Son (John 14:26). In Matt 24:5 Jesus said "Many will come in My name", I always thought this to mean, many will come representing him and in turn will deceive many.

Anyway ... I have something to think about :)

Back to the topic.....Baptism

Acts 22

16And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on thename of the Lord.

Colossians 2

12Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

Acts 2
38Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of youin the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Act 4
12Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Galatians 3
27For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

T

theBibleisawsome

Collisions 2:6-14 Galatians 3:26-29 John 3:3 Romans 6:1-4 Genesis 17:1-14 verse seven and forteen are key verses these all talk about baptism but it is true peter said repent and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ so he made it clear baptism in Jesus name now some people fight this because they say no Matthew says in the name of the Father Son and Holy Ghost to be baptized in but that verse was change because originally it was baptism in my name but even though someone complained.an got the verse changed it still shows in one name and thats the name of Jesus people think because it says in the name of the Father Son and Holy Spirit they think their 3 seperates and their not the words Father and Son are not names they are titles im someone s son when I have a kid ill be a father just because im a son and father doesn't make me two seperates I still am one just like God is one all three in one and it says clearly in the name I quote that of the Father Son and Holy Ghost it says name it doesn't say names just one name but we didn't know what name it was to baptized in then it was revealed in Acts 2:38 in the name of Jesus the.Bible never says someone was Baptized in the name of the Father Son and Holy Ghost it says people were baptized in Jesus name so baptism must be in Jesus name only I hope this helped God Bless

P

prophecyman

Still waiting for your reply to post # 18. Just reminding you.
Here is my reply, taken from the article written by Lon Martin Titled "Constantine Wrote Matthew 28:19"

Allow me to make this perfectly clear that I do not believe that Constantine wrote matt. 28:19, but however he did oversee and listen to the many arguments presented by some 120 Bishops assembled from throughout the Empire. Utimately endorsing the Nicean Creed, he Constantine help to establish the accepted doctrine of the then Catholic Church.

According to Conybeare:
Eusebius cites this text (Matt. 28:19) again and again in works written between 300 and 336, namely in his long commentaries on the Psalms, on Isaiah, his Demonstratio Evangelica, his Theophany ...in his famous history of the Church, and in his panegyric of the emperor Constantine. I have, after a moderate search in these works of Eusebius, found eighteen citations of Matthew 28:19, and always in the following form: ‘Go ye and make disciples of all the nations in My name, teaching them to observe all things, whatsoever I commanded you.’
Ploughman’s research uncovered all of these quotations except for one, which is in a catena published by Mai in a German magazine, the Zeitschrift fur die neutestamentliche Wissenschaft, edited by Dr. Erwin Preuschen in Darmstadt in 1901. Eusebius was not content merely to cite the verse in this form, but he more than once commented on it in such a way as to show how much he confirmed the wording “in my name”. Thus, in his Demonstratio Evangelica he wrote the following:
For he did not enjoin them “to make disciples of all the nations” simply and without qualification, but with the essential addition “in his name”. For so great was the virtue attaching to his appellation that the Apostle says, "God bestowed on him the name above every name, that in the name of Jesus every knee shall bow of things in heaven and on earth and under the earth." It was right therefore that he should emphasize the virtue of the power residing in his name but hidden from the many, and therefore say to his Apostles, "Go ye, and make disciples of all the nations in my name.’ (col. 240, p. 136)
Conybeare proceeded, in Hibbert Journal, 1902: It is evident that this was the text found by Eusebius in the very ancient codices collected fifty to a hundred and fifty years before his birth by his great predecessors. Of any other form of text he had never heard and knew nothing until he had visited Constantinople and attended the Council of Nice. Then in two controversial works written in his extreme old age, and entitled, the one ‘Against Marcellus of Ancyra,’ and the other ‘About the Theology of the Church,’ he used the common reading. One other writing of his also contains it, namely a letter written after the Council of Nice was over, to his seer of Caesurae.

S

SantoSubito

Here is my reply, taken from the article written by Lon Martin Titled "Constantine Wrote Matthew 28:19"

Allow me to make this perfectly clear that I do not believe that Constantine wrote matt. 28:19, but however he did oversee and listen to the many arguments presented by some 120 Bishops assembled from throughout the Empire. Utimately endorsing the Nicean Creed, he Constantine help to establish the accepted doctrine of the then Catholic Church.

According to Conybeare:
Eusebius cites this text (Matt. 28:19) again and again in works written between 300 and 336, namely in his long commentaries on the Psalms, on Isaiah, his Demonstratio Evangelica, his Theophany ...in his famous history of the Church, and in his panegyric of the emperor Constantine. I have, after a moderate search in these works of Eusebius, found eighteen citations of Matthew 28:19, and always in the following form: ‘Go ye and make disciples of all the nations in My name, teaching them to observe all things, whatsoever I commanded you.’
Ploughman’s research uncovered all of these quotations except for one, which is in a catena published by Mai in a German magazine, the Zeitschrift fur die neutestamentliche Wissenschaft, edited by Dr. Erwin Preuschen in Darmstadt in 1901. Eusebius was not content merely to cite the verse in this form, but he more than once commented on it in such a way as to show how much he confirmed the wording “in my name”. Thus, in his Demonstratio Evangelica he wrote the following:
For he did not enjoin them “to make disciples of all the nations” simply and without qualification, but with the essential addition “in his name”. For so great was the virtue attaching to his appellation that the Apostle says, "God bestowed on him the name above every name, that in the name of Jesus every knee shall bow of things in heaven and on earth and under the earth." It was right therefore that he should emphasize the virtue of the power residing in his name but hidden from the many, and therefore say to his Apostles, "Go ye, and make disciples of all the nations in my name.’ (col. 240, p. 136)
Conybeare proceeded, in Hibbert Journal, 1902: It is evident that this was the text found by Eusebius in the very ancient codices collected fifty to a hundred and fifty years before his birth by his great predecessors. Of any other form of text he had never heard and knew nothing until he had visited Constantinople and attended the Council of Nice. Then in two controversial works written in his extreme old age, and entitled, the one ‘Against Marcellus of Ancyra,’ and the other ‘About the Theology of the Church,’ he used the common reading. One other writing of his also contains it, namely a letter written after the Council of Nice was over, to his seer of Caesurae.
Hmm, I kind of expected this and have had ample time to formulate a response. First it must be stated that the ancient practice for quotation is not the same as our own. The ancients would often reword a quote to make a point and not quote directly. Now onto other Fathers, most earlier than Eusibius providing the same quotation but in the commonly known Trinitarian form.

Tertullian, c. 200 AD writes in On Baptism, Chapter XIII: "For the law of baptizing has been imposed, and the formula prescribed: "Go," He saith, "teach the nations, baptizing them into the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit." and in Against Praxeas, chapter 2 says, "After His resurrection ..He commands them to baptize into the Father and the Son and the Holy Ghost".

Hippolytus (170-236 AD) says in Fragments: Part II.-Dogmatical and Historical.--Against the Heresy of One Noetus, "gave this charge to the disciples after He rose from the dead: Go ye and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost."

Cyprian (200-258AD) in The Seventh Council of Carthage Under Cyprian says, And again, after His resurrection, sending His apostles, He gave them charge, saying, "All power is given unto me, in heaven and in earth. Go and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost."

Gregory Thaumaturgus (205-265 AD) in A Sectional Confession of Faith, XIII says, "....the Lord sends forth His disciples to baptize in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit?"

Similarly Irenaeus says:

"Wherefore also the Lord, when He sent forth the apostles to make disciples of all nations, commanded them to “baptize in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost,” (Epistle to the Philippians, Chapter II, circa 100-202 AD).

Then of course there is the very early Didache which I provided before, and there is also the fact that every single copy we have of Matthew has Matthew 28:19 in the Trinitarian form we all are familiar with.

P

prophecyman

Hmm, I kind of expected this and have had ample time to formulate a response. First it must be stated that the ancient practice for quotation is not the same as our own. The ancients would often reword a quote to make a point and not quote directly. Now onto other Fathers, most earlier than Eusibius providing the same quotation but in the commonly known Trinitarian form.

Tertullian, c. 200 AD writes in On Baptism, Chapter XIII: "For the law of baptizing has been imposed, and the formula prescribed: "Go," He saith, "teach the nations, baptizing them into the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit." and in Against Praxeas, chapter 2 says, "After His resurrection ..He commands them to baptize into the Father and the Son and the Holy Ghost".

Hippolytus (170-236 AD) says in Fragments: Part II.-Dogmatical and Historical.--Against the Heresy of One Noetus, "gave this charge to the disciples after He rose from the dead: Go ye and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost."

Cyprian (200-258AD) in The Seventh Council of Carthage Under Cyprian says, And again, after His resurrection, sending His apostles, He gave them charge, saying, "All power is given unto me, in heaven and in earth. Go and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost."

Gregory Thaumaturgus (205-265 AD) in A Sectional Confession of Faith, XIII says, "....the Lord sends forth His disciples to baptize in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit?"

Similarly Irenaeus says:

"Wherefore also the Lord, when He sent forth the apostles to make disciples of all nations, commanded them to “baptize in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost,” (Epistle to the Philippians, Chapter II, circa 100-202 AD).

Then of course there is the very early Didache which I provided before, and there is also the fact that every single copy we have of Matthew has Matthew 28:19 in the Trinitarian form we all are familiar with.
This does not prove the trinitarian formula to be correct as cited, but it is easy to discern that the name of the Son is Jesus, we know from scripture that he came in his Fathers name, we also understand that Jesus will send the Comforter in his name, please read John 14:26 and John 15:26

It is most evident that the Apostles and early evangelist baptized in the name of Jesus and this one undeniable truth still persists, nowhere in the scriptures do we read that anyone was baptized in the triune formula... NO ONE!

There is however ample scripture that supports baptism in Jesus name. I am so sure that Peter said to the Sanhedrin... Neither is there salvation in any other, for there is none other name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost under heaven whereby we must be saved. Acts 4:12

Should we fear for Peter's salvation because he told 3 thousand Jews to be baptized in Jesus name Acts 2:38? or did he mean otherwise when he told Cornelius and his household in Acts 10:43-48, did he command them to be baptized in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost or was it....... Jesus?

You and others may wrangle meanings and interpet scripture to suit your doctrine, but you will never escape the fact of what was recorded in the Acts of the Apostles, which is the word of God.

Why do people fight the name of Jesus in water baptism, why do they go out of there way to deny his name? Have you cast out devils in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

I tell you that I have experience casting out devils and I assure you that they (devils) are very much affraid of this name, especially if you really know who Jesus is.

Go ahead my most knowledgeable friend, try casting out devils in the triune name! lay hands on the sick in the triune name, I personally assure you that it will not work!

Last edited:
S

SantoSubito

This does not prove the trinitarian formula to be correct as cited, but it is easy to discern that the name of the Son is Jesus, we know from scripture that he came in his Fathers name, we also understand that Jesus will send the Comforter in his name, please read John 14:26 and John 15:26[/B

It proves that the passage was not corrupted and added later. No textual critic hold that the passage has been corrupted.

It is most evident that the Apostles and early evangelist baptized in the name of Jesus and this one undeniable truth still persists, nowhere in the scriptures do we read that anyone was baptized in the triune formula... NO ONE!
Once again this overlooks the fact that it could be the simple use of abbreviation to preserve space on expensive paper since they were writing for an audience that would have been familiar with the form of baptism. Which would also be in line with ancient methods of abbreviation

There is however ample scripture that supports baptism in Jesus name. I am so sure that Peter said to the Sanhedrin... Neither is there salvation in any other, for there is none other name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost under heaven whereby we must be saved. Acts 4:12
Doesn't apply to baptism. Peter states in more poetical terms that men are only saved through Christ, and I have no objection to that.

Should we fear for Peter's salvation because he told 3 thousand Jews to be baptized in Jesus name Acts 2:38? or did he mean otherwise when he told Cornelius and his household in Acts 10:43-48, did he command them to be baptized in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost or was it....... Jesus?
See above

You and others may wrangle meanings and interpet scripture to suit your doctrine, but you will never escape the fact of what was recorded in the Acts of the Apostles, which is the word of God.
We don't wrangle anything. We practice what we have always practiced even before the NT itself had been written, documents older than our earliest copies of any NT book bear this out, namely the Didache.

Why do people fight the name of Jesus in water baptism, why do they go out of there way to deny his name? Have you cast out devils in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.
I have not, but I'm familiar with a priest that has.

I tell you that I have experience casting out devils and I assure you that they (devils) are very much affraid of this name, especially if you really know who Jesus is.
They're afraid of all sorts of names. The Blessed Mother, the Saints, The Trinity, etc.

Go ahead my most knowledgeable friend, try casting out devils in the triune name! lay hands on the sick in the triune name, I personally assure you that it will not work!
[/QUOTE]

I assure that it has and will. The Catholic Church has been casting out devils and healing the sick since before your church was even the slightest twinkle in anyones eye, all with the Triune name.