Biblical thinking on the age of the Earth

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Sep 13, 2012
Comprehending the Creator is what scripture is all about in the first place.
you are misunderstanding what I'm saying, I dont worry about splitting hairs with the scientists, I know God created the heavens and the earth, so I'll go with that and enjoy his creation, I think there are some things we are simply not meant to understand, and we have to rely on faith

T

Tintin

"But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day."
2 Peter 3:8
This doesn't support an old earth creation. "With the Lord a day is LIKE a thousand years, and a thousand years are LIKE a day." Reading the verse itself shows that Peter is comparing an earth day with the Lord with many life-times and many life-times spent with Him to an earth day. That's just saying God is outside creation, he's not constrained by human time, because he's not part of creation, he's the Creator. It also means that time spent with God can't be measured, that he's so amazing time seems to slow down and speed up of its own accord. Basically, the verse is about God's holiness, majesty and glory and complete sovereignty over all of creation.

rachelsedge

Oct 15, 2012
This doesn't support an old earth creation. "With the Lord a day is LIKE a thousand years, and a thousand years are LIKE a day." Reading the verse itself shows that Peter is comparing an earth day with the Lord with many life-times and many life-times spent with Him to an earth day. That's just saying God is outside creation, he's not constrained by human time, because he's not part of creation, he's the Creator. It also means that time spent with God can't be measured, that he's so amazing time seems to slow down and speed up of its own accord. Basically, the verse is about God's holiness, majesty and glory and complete sovereignty over all of creation.
This. Also, the same word used for "day" in Creation was the same used for 40 days that it rained when Noah was on the ark, yet you never hear anyone saying, "It didn't really rain for 40 literal days. It was probably raining for about 3,000 years, but we don't really know."

;)

Sep 13, 2012
This. Also, the same word used for "day" in Creation was the same used for 40 days that it rained when Noah was on the ark, yet you never hear anyone saying, "It didn't really rain for 40 literal days. It was probably raining for about 3,000 years, but we don't really know."

;)
thank you, I'm going to go ride on the bike trail, enjoy Gods creation, and not worry myself sick at night wondering how many seconds the earth has existed, one day I will ask and find out, but while I'm on this rock, it really doesn't matter

Nov 19, 2012
you are misunderstanding what I'm saying, I dont worry about splitting hairs with the scientists, I know God created the heavens and the earth, so I'll go with that and enjoy his creation, I think there are some things we are simply not meant to understand, and we have to rely on faith

You are using the term 'faith' as if it is blind.

Did you know that the Holy Bible defines 'faith' as 'acting upon established truth'...?

rachelsedge

Oct 15, 2012
You are using the term 'faith' as if it is blind.

Did you know that the Holy Bible defines 'faith' as 'acting upon established truth'...?
Can you tell me in the Bible where it says that? I'm curious, because Hebrews 11:1 says, "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."

N

nathan3

Can you tell me in the Bible where it says that? I'm curious, because Hebrews 11:1 says, "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."
I think what Bowman is trying to say. Well I'll speak for myself, that we have faith in God , and that's not a vain thing, and not a blind affair , because we have His word and In that Word we are told all things. not a few.

Mark 13:23

23 But take ye heed: behold, I have foretold you all things.

Mark 11:22 King James Version

22 And Jesus answering saith unto them, Have faith in God.

Isaiah 45:19

19 I have not spoken in secret, in a dark place of the earth: I said not unto the seed of Jacob, Seek ye me in vain: I the Lord speak righteousness, I declare things that are right.

Taking these verses and many like it into consideration, you see, after studying and maturing in the Bible for some time, you start to see God more. needing less faith, because you can see more. The truth replacing what you needed faith to see in the beginning of your walk. In that sense, faith is not blind. Seeing God tells us all things. I think that's what he was getting at.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2012
As you discovered for yourself, the term 'faith', as used in the Holy Bible, is one of complete confidence.

Here is how “faith” is defined in the OT…

H529
אמוּן
'êmûn
ay-moon'
From H539; established, that is, (figuratively) trusty; also (abstractly) trustworthiness: - faith (-ful), truth.

H529
אמוּן
'êmûn
BDB Definition:
1) faithfulness, trusting
1a) faithful, trusty (as adjective)
Part of Speech: noun masculine
A Related Word by BDB/Strong’s Number: from H539
Same Word by TWOT Number: 116d

H539
אמן
'âman
BDB Definition:
1) to support, confirm, be faithful
1a) (Qal)
1a1) to support, confirm, be faithful, uphold, nourish
1a1a) foster-father (substantive)
1a1b) foster-mother, nurse
1a1c) pillars, supporters of the door
1b) (Niphal)
1b1) to be established, be faithful, be carried, make firm
1b1a) to be carried by a nurse
1b1b) made firm, sure, lasting
1b1c) confirmed, established, sure
1b1d) verified, confirmed
1b1e) reliable, faithful, trusty
1c) (Hiphil)
1c1) to stand firm, to trust, to be certain, to believe in
1c1a) stand firm
1c1b) trust, believe
Part of Speech: verb
A Related Word by BDB/Strong’s Number: a primitive root
Same Word by TWOT Number: 116

H530
אמנה אמוּנה
'ĕmûnâh 'ĕmûnâh
em-oo-naw', em-oo-naw'
Feminine of H529; literally firmness; figuratively security; moral fidelity: - faith (-ful, -ly, -ness, [man]), set office, stability, steady, truly, truth, verily.

אמנה / אמוּנה
'ĕmûnâh
BDB Definition:
1) firmness, fidelity, steadfastness, steadiness
Part of Speech: noun feminine
A Related Word by BDB/Strong’s Number: from H529
Same Word by TWOT Number: 116e

Here is how “faith” is defined in the NT…

G4102
πίστις
pistis
pis'-tis
From G3982; persuasion, that is, credence; moral conviction (of religious truth, or the truthfulness of God or a religious teacher), especially reliance upon Christ for salvation; abstractly constancy in such profession; by extension the system of religious (Gospel) truth itself: - assurance, belief, believe, faith, fidelity.

G4102
πίστις
pistis
Thayer Definition:
1) conviction of the truth of anything, belief; in the NT of a conviction or belief respecting man’s relationship to God and divine things, generally with the included idea of trust and holy fervour born of faith and joined with it
1a) relating to God
1a1) the conviction that God exists and is the creator and ruler of all things, the provider and bestower of eternal salvation through Christ
1b) relating to Christ
1b1) a strong and welcome conviction or belief that Jesus is the Messiah, through whom we obtain eternal salvation in the kingdom of God
1c) the religious beliefs of Christians
1d) belief with the predominate idea of trust (or confidence) whether in God or in Christ, springing from faith in the same
2) fidelity, faithfulness
2a) the character of one who can be relied on
Part of Speech: noun feminine
A Related Word by Thayer’s/Strong’s Number: from G3982
Citing in TDNT: 6:174, 849

rachelsedge

Oct 15, 2012
Bowman - I think what got me was the part of Hebrews 11:1 that says "of things you cannot see". Some would call that faith being blind. I'm not saying our faith isn't "confirmed, trustworthy, or reliable"; I'm not arguing that. I wouldn't believe in the Word/Christ if I didn't believe Him to be confirmed, trustworthy, or reliable. I suppose I misread what your original quote meant. I wasn't meaning to question the validity of our faith.

Faith has an aspect of "unknown"/"unseen". If not, there wouldn't really need to be the aspect of faith. That doesn't make it blind, necessarily, but it's not fully known, either.

Ugh, I don't know what I'm trying to say anymore or if I'm even being coherent. I probably shouldn't post when my brain has seemingly already checked out for the day. :)

Nov 19, 2012
Bowman - I think what got me was the part of Hebrews 11:1 that says "of things you cannot see". Some would call that faith being blind. I'm not saying our faith isn't "confirmed, trustworthy, or reliable"; I'm not arguing that. I wouldn't believe in the Word/Christ if I didn't believe Him to be confirmed, trustworthy, or reliable. I suppose I misread what your original quote meant. I wasn't meaning to question the validity of our faith.

Faith has an aspect of "unknown"/"unseen". If not, there wouldn't really need to be the aspect of faith. That doesn't make it blind, necessarily, but it's not fully known, either.

Ugh, I don't know what I'm trying to say anymore or if I'm even being coherent. I probably shouldn't post when my brain has seemingly already checked out for the day. :)

I understand Rachel...thanks for sharing your view...