G
Galatea
Guest
The Odyssey, redneck style.Instead of reading "The Odyssey", we could just watch "O Brother Where Art Thou"....
just sayin......
The Odyssey, redneck style.Instead of reading "The Odyssey", we could just watch "O Brother Where Art Thou"....
just sayin......
It's alright, once upon a time, men actually read "chick lit." The Bronte sisters had to write under male pseudonyms because men would not believe women could write books like Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights. Nowadays, I doubt many men read these books at all because they are "women's books". I actually feel sorry for men in this respect, they are missing out on great literature. I just don't care for Knightley that much, and adore the A&E version. Jennifer Ehle IS Lizzie Bennet to me.Actually, that movie rocks. The P&P with Knightley....
I know, I like some "chick flicks" ..... I've been told I need to turn in my "man card" several times.
It's fascinating how both conservatives and liberals can see things in 1984, and think the other group is responsible (not my original thought, I saw a piece on the news about how the sell of 1984 has been boosted like a 1,000 percent or something).Two of the biggest selling books today were written decades ago and deal with fascism and evil in the USA and world wide:
1984 - Orwell
It Can't Happen Here - Sinclair Lewis
might be worth considering in view of today's politics ...
It's alright, once upon a time, men actually read "chick lit." The Bronte sisters had to write under male pseudonyms because men would not believe women could write books like Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights. Nowadays, I doubt many men read these books at all because they are "women's books". I actually feel sorry for men in this respect, they are missing out on great literature. I just don't care for Knightley that much, and adore the A&E version. Jennifer Ehle IS Lizzie Bennet to me.
I love the A&E version as well. Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle really had quite a self-controlled attraction to one another. I have the movie and watch it every now and then. It's one of my favorite movies to watch.
I also have Sense and Sensibility with Hugh Grant, Emma Thompson. I watch this every now and then too. I also have Emma with Gwyneth Paltrow and Jeremy Northam. I have Howard's End with Emma Thompson and Anthony Hopkins and The Remains of the Day.
I own the Firth and Ehle Pride and Prejudice, and some of the BBC versions of the Austen novels. I have the Emma Thompson Sense and Sensibility, too. I've seen the others, though. I loved The Remains of the Day- SOOOOOO tragic. I wanted to shake Anthony Hopkins! What are you doing? Letting her go? It is so sad. I liked Howard's End, too. It was sad, but not as affecting for whatever reason. I like the look of Merchant and Ivory films, beautiful- lush.
I know Magenta is currently reading Pride and Prejudice and Tinuviel has other commitments, but I'll put it on the list to vote. Do you know how to make polls?
Rebecca is a great film and book. I'm so glad Fontaine got to play Mrs. de Winter the second and NOT Vivien Leigh. I don't think Leigh would have been able to project the same type of innocence. Fontaine really was perfect for the role, and upstaged Olivier (in my opinion). I am a Daphne du Maurier fan. I haven't read My Cousin Rachel, but it is on m shelf- waiting to be read. I'll add Rebecca to the list.
Yes, I felt the same way about Remains of the Day. Sooooooooo very sad.
I have the old version of Rebecca 1940's version with Joan Fontaine and Laurence Oliver. Ever see it? That might be a good one to add to the list as well. No I haven't done a poll, but it's probably not difficult. I can go and see how it's done if you'd like.
Thanks a million.So when you begin a new thread, go all the way to the bottom and you'll find the poll option there.
It's alright, once upon a time, men actually read "chick lit." The Bronte sisters had to write under male pseudonyms because men would not believe women could write books like Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights. Nowadays, I doubt many men read these books at all because they are "women's books". I actually feel sorry for men in this respect, they are missing out on great literature. I just don't care for Knightley that much, and adore the A&E version. Jennifer Ehle IS Lizzie Bennet to me.
I love Alcott, Little Women is my favorite book of all time. I've not heard of Peabody or Child. I think men miss out by not reading Austen, the Brontes, and the "books for girls" like the aforementioned Little Women, along with books like Alice in Wonderland, Anne of Green Gables, The Secret Garden. A long while ago I mentioned on this forum that the Transcendentalists were among my favorite writers. Their principle editor was Margaret Fuller:
![]()
Other great female writers in this group included Louisa May Alcott, Lydia Maria Child, Elizabeth Palmer Peabody, and they greatly influenced the writing of Emily Dickinson (most popular American poet of my generation). I think it would surprise some folks to learn just how popular certain female writers are among men, especially the likes of Joyce Carol Oates, Joan Didion, Willa Cather, and Alice Munro. I won't touch romance novels but certainly will read the writings of these remarkable ladies.