Book of Job

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
P

persistent

This is the key to the book of Job. A righteous and upright man was robbed of everything in the blink of an eye by Satan (but with God's permission). Probably no Christian was ever slammed as hard as Job. And his "friends" had the gall to believe that it was all Job's fault. But God set them straight, and restored everything back to Job (probably a contemporary of Abraham but in another location). It is significant that in Ezekiel it is Noah, Daniel, and Job who are presented by God as exemplary righteous men.
That is great summary. Seems that the 'least' , Elihu, of the group of 5 set them 'straight' at the end before God set them 'all 5' straight. Then no mention of Elihu.

Bob-Carabbio

Jun 24, 2020
This is the key to the book of Job. A righteous and upright man was robbed of everything in the blink of an eye by Satan (but with God's permission). Probably no Christian was ever slammed as hard as Job. And his "friends" had the gall to believe that it was all Job's fault. But God set them straight, and restored everything back to Job (probably a contemporary of Abraham but in another location). It is significant that in Ezekiel it is Noah, Daniel, and Job who are presented by God as exemplary righteous men.
You left out the part where Job realized what "ISSUES" God was after that Job REPENTED OF (Leviathan and Behemoth). It shows the LENGTHS God will go to get a person to repentance.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
You left out the part where Job realized what "ISSUES" God was after that Job REPENTED OF (Leviathan and Behemoth). It shows the LENGTHS God will go to get a person to repentance.
That was primarily to show Job (and us) that God's ways are inscrutable. Job wanted answers but instead he got something else -- an actual glimpse of God with his own eyes: I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee. Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes. (Job 42:5,6) This was better than the answers Job sought. And we will see Christ with our own eyes at the Resurrection/Rapture.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
Starts out telling us Job was upright. I don't think of myself as upright or wealthy like Job but for some reason the Book of Job has probably caught my attention more than any other part of the Bible. Do we gravitate toward certain parts of the Bible for a reason or is it that some parts are geared for beginners or something like that. I started reading the bible about 2018. I did read some of it in 1971 or 1972 (KJV).
Every time I read it, it touches me more. I just happened to be reading it and transferring my cross references from an old Bible right now. I'm also reminded of personal applications with little footnotes.
They are not nearly like the suffering of Job or Jesus, but suffering nonetheless. I love that Book and it's Author. There's much to be cleaned from that ancient inspired book.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
That was primarily to show Job (and us) that God's ways are inscrutable. Job wanted answers but instead he got something else -- an actual glimpse of God with his own eyes: I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee. Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes. (Job 42:5,6) This was better than the answers Job sought. And we will see Christ with our own eyes at the Resurrection/Rapture.
It's interesting to me that God put Job's suffering in perspective by not addressing them directly. He covered the greater importance of humility under the almighty power of God displayed in His creation. We go through all those chapters crying with Job and empathizing only to see a twist at the end. What an amazing book. No library of fiction can touch it for the literary power alone. However, we know it's altogether true.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
I disagree, inscrutable to most. Not to all.
Well God disagrees with you: Which doeth great things past finding out; yea, and wonders without number. (Job 9:10) O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out! For who hath known the mind of the Lord? or who hath been his counsellor? (Rom 11:33,34)

Jul 18, 2021
Well God disagrees with you: Which doeth great things past finding out; yea, and wonders without number. (Job 9:10) O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out! For who hath known the mind of the Lord? or who hath been his counsellor? (Rom 11:33,34)
How proud were you to write that, to put it in red and underline parts of it? How righteous did you feel. Watch that pride. Last I checked The Apostle Paul wrote Romans and no one knows who wrote Job, some say Moses and neither Paul or Moses is God. Does Christ know the ways of the father?

That being said, it may not be impossible to understand or interpret. It may be for you but I doubt it is for me.