Books recommends?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Oct 20, 2016
What kind of books (in the fiction genre) would be Christian friendly?
All that comes to my mind are quite few authors like...
Martha Finley (Elsie Dinsemore), Frank E Perretti
Thanks for all suggestions!

CherieR

May 6, 2017
I have not read these books but have watched the series on Netflix. It is called The Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket. It is a set of childrens books. Not the super short small books but more like closer to 150 pages more or less in the books.

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
What kind of books (in the fiction genre) would be Christian friendly?
All that comes to my mind are quite few authors like...
Martha Finley (Elsie Dinsemore), Frank E Perretti
Thanks for all suggestions!
Hi Biblelearner123, the first book of Christian fiction that comes to mind is C. S. Lewis' collection of short stories called, The Screwtape Letters. The thing is, while it's fiction, I can think of no more useful book (other than the Bible) to help you gain a better understanding of our common enemy and how he and his demons operate in our lives.

This collection, which was first broadcast over the radio by Lewis himself, was written from the demons perspective (Screwtape, for instance, is one of the main demon characters in the book). So when you see the word "Enemy" in this particular book, it is always referring to God.

The Screwtape Letters is a Christian classic and a GREAT read :), but more importantly, it will help you begin to recognize the devil, his demons and their temptations/flaming arrow attacks for what they are far more quickly, why and how they use the tactics they do, and it will help you deal with them as well (though the Bible is certainly our principle resource for that).

You can read the book online for free here or, if you don't mind spending some $$, I'd highly recommend the 50th anniversary "Annotated Edition" because of all the extras it comes with (both from Lewis himself, and from others as well). You can get that edition in book form or in Kindle at Amazon (and elsewhere, of course).

~Deut

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
Hello.

I'm not that much of a fiction reader, but a Christian book given to me gave recommendations. Here are some authors, and maybe i can give some (more) titles later...
James Herriot, Chaim Potok (The Chosen, Davita's harp), Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, Nathaniel Hawthorne (The scarlet letter), Frances H. Burnett, Gail Tsukiyama, Harper Lee, Harriet B. Stowe, AA Milne...

Ive not read all, but hope that helps.

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
Hi again @biblelearner123, the second book of Christian fiction that I'd recommend to you isn't actually fiction at all, it just 'reads' like it is ;) .. because the story it tells is SO incredible :)

The original title of the book was, For This Cross I'll Kill You, but the same book is now published under the title, Bruchko. It's the story of a teenager (Bruce Olsen) who, without church, mission, or even parental support (or $$), trusted and followed the Lord's lead from Chicago to a group of South American Indians called the Motilone. The Motilone, who had never heard of Jesus and were still living like they would have been in the Stone Age, had never been seen by anyone who lived to tell the tale (before Bruce came along, that is). In fact, the only reason we knew of their existence was due to all of the dead oil company employees that the company kept bringing back out of the jungle in the area where the tribe lived.

I don't believe that I could spoil this story by telling you more of it, but I won't, just in case. I promise you that you will laugh, cry, and be blown-away by all that the Lord accomplished through this young man's faithfulness (who has now stood before Presidents, Kings, as well the United Nations). I'll also bet that you'll read the entire book the first day you pick it up, because almost everyone finds that once you begin to read it, you can't put it down until you finish.

~Deut
p.s. - Bruce wrote a second autobiography called, Bruchko and the Motilone Miracle, but I'm recommending his first autobiography to you called, Bruchko: The Astonishing True Story of a 19-Year-Old American, His Capture by the Motilone Indians and His Adventures in Christianizing the Stone Age Tribe.

Enjoy :)

Oct 20, 2016
I have not read these books but have watched the series on Netflix. It is called The Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket. It is a set of childrens books. Not the super short small books but more like closer to 150 pages more or less in the books.
Yes! I remember reading till second book...I should pick up where I left off :)

Oct 20, 2016
Hi Biblelearner123, the first book of Christian fiction that comes to mind is C. S. Lewis' collection of short stories called, The Screwtape Letters. The thing is, while it's fiction, I can think of no more useful book (other than the Bible) to help you gain a better understanding of our common enemy and how he and his demons operate in our lives.

This collection, which was first broadcast over the radio by Lewis himself, was written from the demons perspective (Screwtape, for instance, is one of the main demon characters in the book). So when you see the word "Enemy" in this particular book, it is always referring to God.

The Screwtape Letters is a Christian classic and a GREAT read :), but more importantly, it will help you begin to recognize the devil, his demons and their temptations/flaming arrow attacks for what they are far more quickly, why and how they use the tactics they do, and it will help you deal with them as well (though the Bible is certainly our principle resource for that).

You can read the book online for free here or, if you don't mind spending some $$, I'd highly recommend the 50th anniversary "Annotated Edition" because of all the extras it comes with (both from Lewis himself, and from others as well). You can get that edition in book form or in Kindle at Amazon (and elsewhere, of course).

~Deut
Hi again @biblelearner123, the second book of Christian fiction that I'd recommend to you isn't actually fiction at all, it just 'reads' like it is ;) .. because the story it tells is SO incredible :)

The original title of the book was, For This Cross I'll Kill You, but the same book is now published under the title, Bruchko. It's the story of a teenager (Bruce Olsen) who, without church, mission, or even parental support (or $$), trusted and followed the Lord's lead from Chicago to a group of South American Indians called the Motilone. The Motilone, who had never heard of Jesus and were still living like they would have been in the Stone Age, had never been seen by anyone who lived to tell the tale (before Bruce came along, that is). In fact, the only reason we knew of their existence was due to all of the dead oil company employees that the company kept bringing back out of the jungle in the area where the tribe lived.

I don't believe that I could spoil this story by telling you more of it, but I won't, just in case. I promise you that you will laugh, cry, and be blown-away by all that the Lord accomplished through this young man's faithfulness (who has now stood before Presidents, Kings, as well the United Nations). I'll also bet that you'll read the entire book the first day you pick it up, because almost everyone finds that once you begin to read it, you can't put it down until you finish.

~Deut
p.s. - Bruce wrote a second autobiography called, Bruchko and the Motilone Miracle, but I'm recommending his first autobiography to you called, Bruchko: The Astonishing True Story of a 19-Year-Old American, His Capture by the Motilone Indians and His Adventures in Christianizing the Stone Age Tribe.

Enjoy :)
Grateful for your time in sharing both of these :):)

Oct 20, 2016
Hello.

I'm not that much of a fiction reader, but a Christian book given to me gave recommendations. Here are some authors, and maybe i can give some (more) titles later...
James Herriot, Chaim Potok (The Chosen, Davita's harp), Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, Nathaniel Hawthorne (The scarlet letter), Frances H. Burnett, Gail Tsukiyama, Harper Lee, Harriet B. Stowe, AA Milne...

Ive not read all, but hope that helps.
Thanks, I've read a bit of Dickens and Austen but that's about it...should check out others :)

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I would recommend two inspirational books by Og Mandino.

One is called The Greatest Miracle in the World. Using his encounters with
a "ragpicker" named Simon Potter, Og Mandino shares a story about life and
finding happiness that ultimately culminates in the "Memorandum from God."

The second is The Greatest Salesman in the World, which sets out principles to live by:

I will Form Good Habits and Become their Slave
Greet Each Day With Love In Your Heart
I Will Persist Until I Succeed
I am Nature's Greatest Miracle
Live Each Day as if it Were Your Last
Master Your Emotions
The Power of Laughter
Multiply Your Value Every Day
All is Worthless Without Action
Pray to God for Guidance

Actor Matthew McConaughey cited this book as having changed his life :)

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
The Voice in the Wind trilogy by Francine Rivers is a good read. Edit: it's actually called the Mark of the Lion series ha.

Christian fiction set about 70 A.D iirc because John is still alive and set right before he goes to Patmos and during the time of Christian persecution...starts out with the destruction of the temple and follows the daughter of the boy whom Jesus raised from the dead.

Very cool series. Was touching for me and opens up the concept of whether Christian fiction is appropriate or not.

I'm still on the fence about it but I enjoyed it (read it thrice).

Also the story of Rahab that she has (very short book) is also worth a read. I didn't particularly like the story of Bathsheeba and stopped reading it because it seemed to take a little too much artistic license but the Rahab story caused me to read 15 Chapters of Joshua to fact check so that's not a bad thing ;)